Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Mar 2023, 14:15 (Ref:4146458)   #1
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CTCRC time to shine?

Seems to be getting classic/.retro/historic racing right, full grids, good venues, Even some of the cloth cap brigade occasionally venue out with their Goodwood hot rods. Their average driver age seems to be signicicantly lower than the typical FIA-legal spec meetings (HSCC/ Master etc).

How come it seems to be forever ignored on 10ths? Lots of talk about how troubled historic racing is yet CTCRC continually draws in capacity grids across 50s saloons to early 2000s tin tops without much in the way of poor driving or political infighting. The races seem to be the right length to be interesting yet not wear the car out too much, double headers over a weekend too.

What do they get right?
What are they getting wrong?
Old 9 Mar 2023, 17:24 (Ref:4146492)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think it falls between the 'historic' and 'club' crowds - has to be said though I'm hoping to catch some of it this year. It's a sign of aging that some of the cars I consider modern are now eligible for historic classes! Hopefully the super tourers get a decent entry - last time I went to watch super tourers it was red flagged on the first lap and that was it for the day.
Old 9 Mar 2023, 18:19 (Ref:4146502)   #3
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure CTCRC are "ignored" as such -just depends what contributors on here are involved in, I guess - and there have been a few of us competing with CSCC, so they get a bit more mention - and have of course been running successful events (although not Championships) for many years. Different style of races, of course, being mainly 40-minute pit-stop races.
Old 10 Mar 2023, 15:51 (Ref:4146621)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I ran with them when they were CSCC and jnow some of the drivers. They are doing well and have a fairly diverse set of grids. But they don't follow App J for the periods of cars racing so they tend to fall outside of "Historic" racing. As a f'rinstance they permit gas adjustable dampers and GRP panels in their group 1 cars, which are not permitted by FIA App K.

That said they are offering good value for money with very competitve entry fees.
Old 10 Mar 2023, 16:28 (Ref:4146626)   #5
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a mere spectator I've attended several CTRC meetings and found them pretty entertaining, I can understand the migration from or to the CSCC from a purist point of view but there is an attraction in the sorter race formats.
Old 10 Mar 2023, 16:52 (Ref:4146628)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Classic Saloon Car Club changed its name to Classic Touring Car Racing Club in the noughties. It is still registered as the CSCC in Companies House. But you highlight a major problem in that everyone is chasing the same cars. Eqipe Racing, HRDC, HSCC, MRL, all want group 1 cars. The problem for the CTCRC is that a period correct Gp 1 car is unlikely to be quick enough for their series so those drivers have migrated to the HRDC in the most.part. MRL has essentially moved into the later Group A era, even the pre 1986 group A cars have dropped out.

However, as I said the CTCRC does offer good value and if you don't mind the lack of period correctness I would recommend them.
Old 10 Mar 2023, 17:41 (Ref:4146636)   #7
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always enjoy CTCRC races, particularly the BOSS / Thunder series, but they always race at events alongside lots of modern grids and stuff like trucks. Which don’t appeal much to me. Looking forward to their visit to Castle Combe though.