Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Oct 2002, 18:02 (Ref:408090)   #26
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
LMGTP really is GT1, unfoertunately its not part of FIA GTs anymore.
Hmmm, is it really. GTP is more liberal than any GT class. Of course, they are prototypes (there are no roadgoing Speed 8s, not are there supposed to be any ). GT1 doesn't have any "descendants" - it was simply axed. A bit like Gp.5 vanished without trace. The cars fit in the GTP rules because they were so sophisticated already, and because the manufacturers made them fit (although not without difficulty as Mercedes will be able to tell you *flip*). If anything, the new supercars could be called "sons of GT1".
Old 19 Oct 2002, 18:18 (Ref:408105)   #27
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh yeah, the 'supercar' GTS cars will be true GT1 succesers but the LMGTP cars are from the bloodline of the GT1s. The CLK-GTR/LM was the last GT1 with any attempt to be road car like, while the GT-One just said to hell with it and had no road car likenesses or any pretense to be a road car. Hence the following year GT1 morphed into LMGTP.

Last edited by JAG; 19 Oct 2002 at 18:20.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 19:43 (Ref:408147)   #28
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well actually Mercedes themselves openly admitted that the CLK-GTR is a racing car first, and road car second, and only to keep the FIA happy such were the rules at the time.

Although Mercedes have long built similar cars C-111 C-112 I think they were called.

I actually am glad the Porsche, McLaren, Mercedes, Nissan, Panoz, Lotus, Lister, and Toyota, (and Harrier, Sintura), were all made because they look fantastic, and created a buzz GT really needed. Really it was the rulemakers who stuffed up. Had they been stricter with Porsche in 1996, and then particularly with Mercedes in 1997, it would have only needed small adjustments from the manufactures to redesign, reshape, and make the necessary adjustments to keep a FAIR playing field. McLaren weren't little lambs anyway, with the works team using ABS at LM when the car never came with ABS in the first place. The ran heavier and were allowed larger restrictors. Strangelly the Davidoff car finished ahead of them so it may have backfired...

Anyway I'll leave the two cents here I think. You guys mostly know this stuff anyway.

Splatz.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 20:17 (Ref:408159)   #29
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But back to the thread topic....
I think many of you have missed my point, there are two F1 GTRs that have been racing in Japan for about four years or so. Fuji, Suzuka, Mine, Aida, Sugo, you will see McLarens. Why are we so stupid we have cars racing in ALMS and FIA GT and there are no McLarens!

The Viper has been wasted all this time! We could have let all that 700hp and near 900Nm (+650lbft)of torque of its leash and set it off against the Saleen, McLaren, Diablo, and Lister.

Also, how many Saleens have been made let alone sold? How many were S7s and not the R model? How many 7litre Vettes have been sold, and with that wheel track? Do they even make the GT2 Viper anymore? I don't think so. Well stacks of McLaren F1s were sold, and plenty of LMs and 3 GTs were made for the road. Seems like the only thing against the Mac is its age.... Perhaps some still have nightmares about 1995 and 1996 in BPR and at LM.

But it would make BMW happy and bring them back in with pound for pound the worlds best engine by the best engine designer in Paul Rosche.

And me and Aysedasi would be pretty contented too.
Old 19 Oct 2002, 20:34 (Ref:408171)   #30
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Splatz the Cow
But back to the thread topic....
I think many of you have missed my point, there are two F1 GTRs that have been racing in Japan for about four years or so.
...and the homologation rules for JGTC are different to that of the FIA or ACO.
Also, BMW has a contract with Williams now, and McLaren with Mercedes.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 19:15 (Ref:408782)   #31
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Well then the rules are wrong and should be changed. Nobody cares about being in GTS at the moment because its a redundant class. Its pointless, with or without a 550 in there, there is no real interest. I do realise though that the regs are different and that's part of the problem not something to be observed and then we all go back and watch to see if the Corvettes will finish 1-2.

Even Chevrolet must be annoyed because their wins don't count for anything. So you won... and against who, and what cars.

Meanwhile the best cars in the world are getting raced around the world, but not against one another.

Imagine this list
Murcialago
Zonda
F1 GTR (LM or GT model, whichever,)
550 GTS
Viper
Corvette
S7R
Storm
wack in a Stealth

maybe even the Ferrari Gonzo (well it looks like the Muppet characters nose at the front)

Now we can all post about regs and weights and carbon fibre, while Corvette beats somebody in ALMS, and LABRE and Lister go at it in Blighty - but Id much rather and see some of these cars race all together as they were bloody designed.

Maybe people have become used to this stale class.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 19:19 (Ref:408787)   #32
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Viper, 550, Corvette, Saleen and Zonda will all be racing in the ALMS next year. The Murcielago mey race sometime in the future along with the Carrera GT, Enzo etc.

GTS is a booming class now after years of Viper, then Vette domination. If the F1 was a current production car it would be racing in 2003. But its now out of production and pretty old (and expensive).
Old 25 Oct 2002, 06:32 (Ref:412883)   #33
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
[quietly puts soapbox away...]
Old 25 Oct 2002, 08:16 (Ref:412933)   #34
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
maybe even the Ferrari Gonzo (well it looks like the Muppet characters nose at the front)
Is this a Ferrari Gonzo??
Attached Thumbnails
muppets.jpg  
Old 25 Oct 2002, 11:06 (Ref:413020)   #35
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Splatz the Cow
Well then the rules are wrong and should be changed.
Aren't they always.

I guess this is a Porker then:
Old 25 Oct 2002, 12:11 (Ref:413089)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Aren't they always.

I guess this is a Porker then:

At last, the real "Pink Pig"!
Old 25 Oct 2002, 13:45 (Ref:413198)   #37
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Hehe. Thanks for the photos guys. Bloody funny! I believe those are actually the prototypes that Ferrari had Schumacher test originally but they were not well recieved by the marketing group - wrong demographic or something.

Great pic of the F355 though, what the heck happened there, was it pranged in club racing or something?