Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Feb 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1232319)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only at McLaren

... could you have a company directive from the boss declaring the intention to reinstate practical jokes! They probably have a policy document, and a manager with jocular responsibilities, and additional guidelines, and a spontaneity consultant, and a working group, and a committee - all of that following a two year feasability study, of course. Hilarious - what a natural clown that Mr "Whacky" Dennis is!
Old 22 Feb 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1232326)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it in response to Sauber's assertion that DC must not be a PR machine. http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.as...&s=5Apparently Mateschitz has told DC that he 'didn't have to shave every day if he didn't want to' and now DC has a little beard.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1232343)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glen - your loathing of Ron Dennis knows no bounds it seems.

All he said was humour was a good thing for the team and he'd be doing some practical jokes - harking back to the Senna/Berger days, of course.

Hardly something worthy of a bash
Old 22 Feb 2005, 13:12 (Ref:1232347)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Martin Whitmarsh tells JPM and KR just before 1st practise at Melbourne-"We've installed the new 3 litre engines today,instead of the 4 litre ones you were using in testing,LOL".
Old 22 Feb 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1232398)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
KB - Just because I think (with a LOT of evidence) that he is a humourless machine of a man with a corporate vision that borders on the ridiculous, doesn't mean I loathe him! As a team boss he is one of the greats, but as a joker... well, I think you may be in a rather small minority if you believe that he has any aptitude in that area!

What Ron said was that he was thinking of re-introducing practical jokes - which is funny in itself because an environment with mirth and jolly japes is not fostered by managerial dictat. "Right guys - get out there and be good natured and funny. But er, don't make any mess, or take the **** out of my leather jacket." That was what I was laughing at - unfortunately having to explain it to you kinda takes the edge off it.

Last edited by Adam43; 22 Feb 2005 at 15:02. Reason: autocensor dodge.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1232400)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Hey Adam - I was wondering about the DC bum-fluff beard. I thought perhaps his engineers had done it for a laugh - maybe put a load of sticky short and curlies in his balaclava.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1232403)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know what you're getting at - it's just your description of Ron as a "humourless machine" does not square with the accounts of many people who've worked with him.

They talk of an emotional man (we've seen that publicly several times), who works hard but can play hard too.

And in the Berger/Senna era he was involved himself in many of the light-hearted moments.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1232419)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Like I said matey - you might not find many people who go along with that assessment.

Tough, focussed, driven, organised - sure.

Funny - don't make me laugh.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 14:28 (Ref:1232450)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

All I'm saying is that's what people who've worked with him have said.

Whatever his public persona is is a different matter.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1232460)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Actually - the way he kept a straight face last year when he denied that the Mercedes engines were failing was indeed comedy genius. And Paragon is like something out of Austin Powers. Er - nope, can't think of any more.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1232475)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Ted Kravitz-So that's another engine blown to Hell then Ron!

Ron Dennis-No,that's another one of Juans smoke bombs and Kimis had to pit because he can't stop laughing,LOL.

Last edited by Marbot; 22 Feb 2005 at 15:01.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1232481)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Lighten-up Fellas,i thought this was a comedy thread.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1232594)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The only McLaren Berger - Senna practical joke that I can recall, was when Berger and Senna were in a helicopter flying to a Grand Prix, when Berger picked up a briefcase and held it in his hands asking Senna "is this your briefcase?" to which Senna replied "yes", Berger then threw the case out of the window...
Old 22 Feb 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1232609)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Ayrton once presented his passport at some check-in desk or other, only for the clerk to point out the photograph was not him.

Gerhard had replaced it with a rather different image
Old 22 Feb 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1232633)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
As a team boss he is one of the greats, but as a joker... well, I think you may be in a rather small minority if you believe that he has any aptitude in that area!
I've read a few reports saying that Ron is indeed a joker and does indeed have a sense of humour.

Whilst i have to agree with you, Ron's public "face" might seem a bit "serious", but thats the buisness he's in, after all, look what happened to the pit lane "joker (or rock and roller as he prefers)" - Eddie Jordan. Whilst i'm sure he is a very serious buisnessman, i do have to wonder if his "flamboyant side" helped put off potential sponsers and engine suppliers? Just a thought.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1232634)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The frogs in Senna's hotel room anyone? Yep, Messers Berger and Dennis had something to do with that one
Old 22 Feb 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1232640)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

The Chilli in Mexico was painful for Ron....
Old 22 Feb 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1232758)   #18
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad visual image there ............
Old 22 Feb 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1232829)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And Paragon is like something out of Austin Powers. Er - nope, can't think of any more.
I really don't think you can try to slag off the Mclaren Technical Centre. From what i have seen and read about, it seems like one awesome piece of kit.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:06 (Ref:1232924)   #20
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
... could you have a company directive from the boss declaring the intention to reinstate practical jokes! They probably have a policy document, and a manager with jocular responsibilities, and additional guidelines, and a spontaneity consultant, and a working group, and a committee - all of that following a two year feasability study, of course. Hilarious - what a natural clown that Mr "Whacky" Dennis is!
Notwithstanding the argument about wether ron is funny or not-
i thought thought this hilarious!!

Ron might hide his sense of humour but his obsession with words is ledgendary
Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1232927)   #21
RWC
Veteran

As an aside,there is a current news report that mclaren turned down an offer from movie producers for paragon to feature(?) in a sequel to basic instinct

It got me thinking that the james bond movies will probably ask sometime.....
assuming they drop their BMW sponsership first! LOL
Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:17 (Ref:1232933)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
pointless, but they have, remember the Jaguar Racing association.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 02:15 (Ref:1233022)   #23
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
The only McLaren Berger - Senna practical joke that I can recall, was when Berger and Senna were in a helicopter flying to a Grand Prix, when Berger picked up a briefcase and held it in his hands asking Senna "is this your briefcase?" to which Senna replied "yes", Berger then threw the case out of the window...
As I recall Senna had a bulletproof/indestructible carbon fibre briefcase which Berger decided to test...
Old 23 Feb 2005, 03:08 (Ref:1233038)   #24
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I would let Ron balance my cheque book, but I sure as hell would'nt let him plan my bucks night
Old 23 Feb 2005, 03:43 (Ref:1233054)   #25
RWC
Veteran