Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 May 2005, 05:25 (Ref:1299633)   #1
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Wellington Street Race For NZ

Hi All

The bid for a street race in Wellington is all over

From www.nzcity.co.nz

No V8s for Wellington, AVESCO says it's a joke

V8 Supercars not going ahead in Wellington- AVESCO says New Zealand's approach to big sport is a joke

13 May 2005

The V8 Supercars look to be dead and buried in New Zealand.

Wellington City Council has decided against trying to stage a round of the V8s in the capital.

It has decided the event would be too expensive.

An irate AVESCO spokesman Tony Cochrane says New Zealand's approach to big sport is a joke and it is disappointing

He says staging a round at Pukekohe was only going to be possible if Wellington would go ahead from 2007.

Council officers have recommended the race be canned and once again the Resource Management Act is being blamed.

Like Auckland's failed bid, getting a resource consent has also proved to be too big a hurdle in the capital.

The time and cost of getting a consent for a small section of track by the ferry terminal has proved too prohibitive.

Resource consent was going to take around 18 months for the stadium circuit at a cost of $1 million, with no certainty about the outcome.

Mayor Kerry Prendergast says the RMA needs to be changed in order to recognise regional and national interests.

© 2005 NZCity, NewsTalkZB
Old 13 May 2005, 05:39 (Ref:1299637)   #2
dynamik gal
Racer

Netherlands
F1 Melbourne, Australia
dynamik gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh boy, TC is going to upset a few true kiwi V8 fans here in oz and in nz by the statement AVESCO spokesman Tony Cochrane says New Zealand's approach to big sport is a joke ...
Old 13 May 2005, 06:02 (Ref:1299643)   #3
Dobbo89
Rookie

Australia
Mayfield
Dobbo89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know where the joke is and it aint kiwi's
Old 13 May 2005, 06:19 (Ref:1299648)   #4
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dobbo, unfortunatly TC is correct this time
dynamic girl, I don't think the statement from TC is 'going to upset a few true kiwi V8 fans'.
Over here we all know that our country is ruled by political correctness, so news like this doesn't really come as shock.
There is NO point being angry with AVESCO on this one, it was those bloody kiwi's this time that have f****d it up for NZ V8 Supercar fans.
Old 13 May 2005, 07:05 (Ref:1299659)   #5
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is absolutely frustrating for motorsport in New Zealand. To think that we as a nation are hampered by a piece of legislation that allows a minority to force their hand is just embarassing. This is not just a sporting event issue, but rather a piece of legislation that affects general and wider business in New Zealand.

Motorsport New Zealand did a complete headspin on their belief that the NZ V8 Touring Car category could headline motorsport in NZ, and even went so far to say that the NZ V8 Touring Car Series needs the V8 Supercars. I bet no one will be offering $70,000 to buy an NZ V8 franchise anymore......!

It is fair to say that the V8 Supercar round brought most support of any event on the NZ Motorsport calendar, perhaps a significant exposure share for all of the support categories. This announcement just nails that. When did a domestic NZ motorsport event last draw a 3-day crowd of 85,000+?? It didn't.

When the Yanks landed on the moon, it was giant step for man, one giant leap for mankind. Today is inversely proportionate to that event for NZ motorsport. In fact, this will make NZ motorsport look like a used Japanese import car - some tool just wound back the speedo and some schmuck is looking to buy it. It's not a flash situation to be fair.

Yes, this is passion; yes, this is a belief in NZ motorsport, this is a sad day for motorsport in NZ - absolutely; we will miss the Supercars - without doubt!!!!
Old 13 May 2005, 07:11 (Ref:1299661)   #6
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone explain the Resource Management Act in simple terms, please?
Old 13 May 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1299670)   #7
Marcos Skaife
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Marcos Skaife has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It in extremely basic terms means that if you want to do something like ....I dunno.......... build a prison, Build something large , have a street race etc you need to consult with all parties likely to be affected by said activity. You then once you have been around all said individuals ,corporations,other business`s ,and local maori tribes (I`m not kidding) then take all of this information to your local regional council to ask for consent to perform whichevr activity you are attempting to do.

After filling in a million and one forms and applying to whichever dept suits(you have councils in Aussie they are the same everywhere)!! they will then put whatever restrictions they feel need to be put on to ensure that your activity does not interfere with the previous mentioned interested parties.

You then can get on with planning the activity but at all times keep within the plan you have been given the permit under and if you happen to not follow the rules to the T you can have the activity stopped in its tracks with no chance of a refund for any and all monies you may have spent in the meantime!

Then if someone objects to your activity...............................It just goes on.Sorry if its not the answer you wanted -I`ll try again!!

Resource Management Act = Rule s to prevent the population disturbing itself or anyone else, makes sure you don`t harm hurt or damage the environment or anything related to it.

Good eh Bro`s????
Old 13 May 2005, 08:13 (Ref:1299693)   #8
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a crock.
I'm alway's amazed at the new levels of stupidity in our ever increasing over PC country.
So... to summarise:
no street racing in NZ, no supercars
no dirt track racing at Western Springs
no Americas Cup (thank god)
little chance of ever hosting the rugby world cup again, let alone winning it
no chance of qualifying for the soccer world cup (but thats the Aussies fault, not some ejit bureacrat who has a pencil and the Treaty shoved up his ass)

It's obviously PC not to have fun in NZ
Old 13 May 2005, 09:04 (Ref:1299724)   #9
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When did the Resource Management Act come into being? Does it pre-date the original Wellington street race, or did it arrive after 1996?

I hate to say it, but with TC looking to run a championship full of street races, this was bound to happen sooner or later. It's a shame Pukekohe is no longer an option for whatever reason, but is there really nowhere else in NZ that can hold a round?
Old 13 May 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1299725)   #10
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tanalised, it won't be long before this PC Govt. will NOT allow you to say things like that if they pass the ridiculous 'hate speech' law being proposed.
That's how stupid political correctness is becoming.
Anyway, you must be some kind of evil-doer to diss the bureacrats and talk about the treaty like that. You must be punished.
(Answer = very large fine to go with all the other new ways of tax collection the Govt. has come up with.)
Can any of our forum posters from Aussie tell me if there is enough room in the chosen land for one more Kiwi ???
Old 13 May 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1299755)   #11
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is plenty of room for another native of our "seventh state" unfortunately due to the drought we are down on potential bed partners for you (think about it) but our social security more than makes up for the inconvenience. (unless you’re a single mum)

On a serious note we too need planning consent for such events but they seem nowhere near as onerous or expensive as these “resource management act thing” given that the NSW government close the Sydney harbour bridge for a demo run by Webber.

I understand the desire of Avesco for better facilities than Puke, when I came back from last years event I had to hand in all my shoes and take off my trousers at customs due to the mud etc that was unavoidable at the track. Motorsport needs (V8’s at least) need big bucks to maintain the show. It is hard to justify a glamour sport as you trudge knee deep in a cross between clay and supa glue™ to a tent called “the paddock club”.

The series needs to go to New Zealand but it must also seek both the best deal and facilities possible. I pity the possible loss of any round for you guys but think that calmer heads will come up with some option. Tasmania initially only offered token help for a round until they thought about it and now they have a round and a track only about the same standard as Puke but on the improve.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1299783)   #12
Breezzee
Racer

New Zealand
Top of the South - NZ
Breezzee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like us Kiwi's better renew those passports of ours......
Old 13 May 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1299825)   #13
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the Tasmainians have two heads... surely that helps them think better ?

Ps. I reckon Baskerville or a Hobart Street circuit around Salamanca would be better then Symmonds plain.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1299827)   #14
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
When did the Resource Management Act come into being? Does it pre-date the original Wellington street race, or did it arrive after 1996?
The RMA came in in 1991 I think. Existing activities at that time were more or less allowed to continue I think.
And if you think the RMA is bad, if you actually get a consent, wait for someone to object to the conditions - off to the Environment Court and another two years + down the drain...
And then you've got to look out for future development and 'reverse sensitivity' - like what happened to Western Springs speedway. Its an absolute bloody nightmare.
Old 13 May 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1299986)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanalised
So... to summarise:
no street racing in NZ, no supercars
It doesn't have to, if everyone so desperately wants the v8's to come over, a permanent course will have to be sought (you know there designed for actual racing TC might not see it, but you can)
So everyone will have to get behind the cause.

Theres no point blaming the council, from my limited understanding of the Resource Management Act, it seems someone felt they would be disadvantaged by the race occuring, so the move is justified.

I'd would be aiming my frustration soley at Avesco, and why they are so one eyed about a street event in NZ. I love it how the NZ councils are sticking up to him and telling him where to go, if only here in Australia we could adopt this ability.

Just Do it, you spoke about the precarious position of NZ motorsport and its categories, surely a street race is only a short term patching of the problem. NZ motorsport has to look at why they are in this position and how they can overcome this, not by allowing Avesco to waltz in, take their money and then leave.
Old 13 May 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1300029)   #16
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the Puke agreement with the horse owners was the reason the V8's had to move, but lets not muddle the facts.
Old 13 May 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1300221)   #17
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer
I think the Puke agreement with the horse owners was the reason the V8's had to move, but lets not muddle the facts.
Pukekohe also appears to be out even for 2006, the Auckland Racing Club (Horse) have lodged an injuction or something to that effect stopping the Counties Racing Club (Horse) from proceeding, they said that Counties Racing Club had promised them motorsport would be stopping at the circuit and no more V8 Supercars would be held.
Old 13 May 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1300299)   #18
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
It doesn't have to, if everyone so desperately wants the v8's to come over, a permanent course will have to be sought (you know there designed for actual racing TC might not see it, but you can)
So everyone will have to get behind the cause.

Theres no point blaming the council, from my limited understanding of the Resource Management Act, it seems someone felt they would be disadvantaged by the race occuring, so the move is justified.

I'd would be aiming my frustration soley at Avesco, and why they are so one eyed about a street event in NZ. I love it how the NZ councils are sticking up to him and telling him where to go, if only here in Australia we could adopt this ability.

Just Do it, you spoke about the precarious position of NZ motorsport and its categories, surely a street race is only a short term patching of the problem. NZ motorsport has to look at why they are in this position and how they can overcome this, not by allowing Avesco to waltz in, take their money and then leave.
DRT your post shows that you really do have your head stuck up your arse, the Resource Management Act (RMA) is a crap piece of legislation. The Street race was supported by the majority of rate payers in Wellington, yet because of the RMA if one person complained (Doesn't matter why) it can hold everything up for 2 years. I am not saying consultation shouldn't occur, but 1 person come on! It also means that even if something is for the greater good of the community it can still get turned down under the RMA if a few people complain. You are muddying the issue with your outright contempt for TC, Wellington wanted the race, but, they felt that because there would be objections, that the RMA process would take too long. They did not tell him to stick it, what they are saying is, we can't guarantee when we can even tell you when we will know if we can have it so its better to withdraw now. With the RMA your can pay a lot of money and still come out on the loosing end, the council predicted $1 million. Just for the record the RMA doesn't just apply to the big events it applys to everyone. I have a friend who had a house in Aucklands Ponsonby, he wanted to put a garage under the house, because of the RMA he had to get engineering reports and architects plans drawn up (Which you would do anyway)then he had to ask his neighbours, one said no, so, the council said sorry you can't do it. $$$$ wasted by a neighbour who already had a garage under his house and the previous owner of my friends house had given permission to the objector 2 years earlier(Houses in this area usually have parking on the street only) That is a daft law.
Old 13 May 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1300412)   #19
Marcos Skaife
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Marcos Skaife has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I guess we can only hope that Hampton Downs will be a world class facility and that Avesco will decide to race there! T C of course has already said no cause its too far away from Auckland, but maybe we still have some hope?

If it actually goes ahead that is!!
Old 13 May 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1300416)   #20
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wellington rate payers can look on the bright side . They will not have to fork out 8 to 10 million every year to stage race that very few people in the world care about .
Old 14 May 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1300453)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Two arguments on this one.
Is a street race the best thing for NZ motorsport or would an event at a permanent circuit be best?
Reality is that an event at a permanent circuit would be the best thing for NZ motorsport. The problem is that TC didn't want that. He wanted an event at a major population centre and he wanted a local council or govt agency to fund it. The truth is that in NZ the Resource management act makes that almost prohibitive. it is almost impossible for councils to get events organised within their own local areas if it means any departure from the notified district plan and everyone affected has the right to protest and if necessary take the matter to the high court.

That provision is what killed the Wellington race. A small group of objectors set out to deliberately destroy the plan and would have cost the rate payers millions.

They have criticised the council for already 'wasting' $175000 but it is in effect them that have wasted the $175000 through their own selfish actions and they would have been prepared to waste a $million of the ratepayers money by protesting the event process if they had to in order to get their own way.

Does NZ motorsport need the V8 Supercars to headline motorsport in NZ?
Probably yes.
We need a major circuit event of series involving overseas/'international' drivers in a major event or series that captures the public's imagination and the supercars did that.
NZ motorsport will be the poorer for not having the event. There is nothing else available that would have been able to have that profile at that cost.
Old 14 May 2005, 04:58 (Ref:1300521)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomike
DRT your post shows that you really do have your head stuck up your arse, the Resource Management Act (RMA) is a crap piece of legislation.
Come on man, thats a bit rough.

Quote:
The Street race was supported by the majority of rate payers in Wellington, yet because of the RMA if one person complained (Doesn't matter why) it can hold everything up for 2 years. I am not saying consultation shouldn't occur, but 1 person come on!
What was the % of rate payers that supported the event ? I remember 55% used somewhere or what that the local council ?

In this instance, who was the party that objected to the event. As it shouldn't matter how many people are objecting, the issue of how they will be disadvantaged should be most important.

Quote:
You are muddying the issue with your outright contempt for TC, Wellington wanted the race, but, they felt that because there would be objections, that the RMA process would take too long.
How am I muddying the issue. I am saying that are Avesco adding to a difficult situation by demanding a street race. They are doing New Zealand fans, NZ motorsport and common sense a disservice by saying No Street Race = No New Zealand. Ultimatums like this are going to alienate people.
Old 14 May 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1300614)   #23
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All

There is a piece in our local paper tonight about it all, and it seems that the racing clubs up in Auckland have now sorted out their differences (perhaps finally realising the $$ that must come in from the Supercars), and seem willing to now have both horses and cars at Pukekohe.

Apparently Manfeild has not had its bid officially rejected as yet (hmm.... my cynical side says this is more because of TC having the $14000 bond in his bank account that will have to be returned if he says no than anything else). Apparently the mayor from Wellington is travelling over to meet with Avesco and discuss the issue - what that is meant to achieve I have no idea

It does mention that TC said that NZ has 'dropped of the face of the earth' as far as the V8's were concerned.

I guess we all have to start saving for a yearly trip across the ditch then
Old 14 May 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1300640)   #24
hemi71
Rookie

hemi71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does anyone know what is happening with the taupo circuit i was over in nz in march and there was talk of getting the v8s there they had recieved council approval they just needed to raise the budget
Old 14 May 2005, 23:57 (Ref:1301014)   #25
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Come on man, thats a bit rough.

What was the % of rate payers that supported the event ? I remember 55% used somewhere or what that the local council ?
It's not rough, you would have no idea how hard and expensive to get all the boxes ticked to do some things over here because of minority groups. Western Springs Speedway is a case in point - a venue that has been in use for over 50 years for memory. A few locals object to the noise, most of them are immigrants, and a cunning wee search of some addresses show that over 75% of complainants are tenants as opposed to the actual home owners. The same people throw parties whenever there is a concert at Western Springs, so you have to ask what colour the kettle is.
One notes that these same people could not live next to a motorway, railway line, or airport and get those activities stopped, so why should a speedway be treated any different?

55% of the 12,000 submissions for the WLG Street Race were in favour of the event happening. Of the retailers in the vicinity of the event, their approval rate was in excess of 80%.

Half the battle we have in NZ is that yachting is classified as a sport but motorsport isn't a sport, but a rich man's hobby - I struggle to see the difference. If you don't believe me, ring Bruce Farr at Farr Design in America and get a quote for one of his latest spec maxi-class yachts.
The challenge here is that the NZ Government can poor millions of dollars into the Team New Zealand America's Cup for the next challenge at Valencia - about $35 million if I remember correctly. At the end of the day, it is questionable whether the triennial (??) America's Cup would attract more exposure for New Zealand on a world stage compared to an annual V8 Supercar Street Race which would show off and highlight a major NZ city as opposed to a pair of boats racing somewhere in Europe.

I could go on for hours and hours on this issue, and having had a reasonably close involvement with the two America's Cup events held in Auckland, I am only too aware of how much of the available opportunity that was available to business, government, and New Zealand as a whole. What frustrates the hell out of me is the fact that all personal self-interest aside, a street race is a fantastic annual event as part of a balanced global tourism marketing package to highlight and showcase a country on the world stage. Queensland, Adelaide, and Melbourne (Albert Park) do a superb job and have large and fantastic motorsport events that get them a huge amount of exposure on the world stage. Sadly, for the second time in less than 12 months, New Zealand has been legislated out of that opportunity. The sad part is that the NZ Government can pour millions of dollars into one minority sports team that gobbles money for three years to have one event on the other side of the world, but it cannot see the merit in pouring a few million dollars into a major sporting event in it's own backyard that will provide annual international exposure and help showcase a potential tourist marketing opportunity.

Australia looks better every single day - moments like this just reinforce the point!