Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 May 2005, 07:39 (Ref:1311344)   #1
Guss
Racer

Guss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Dixon to TKR - Bathurst??

TEAM KIWI RACING INVITE FELLOW KIWI SCOTT DIXON TO JOIN THEM AT BATHURST.
Team Kiwi Racing will be keeping a close eye on the progress of fellow Kiwi Scott Dixon at the 89th Indy 500 race which is to be held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway this weekend.

Dixon, who has past commented on a number of occasions that he would be keen to drive a V8 Supercar at the daunting Mount Panorama Bathurst circuit may just get his chance to do so this year with the All Black team from his native New Zealand.

Team Kiwi Racing Boss David John confirmed he has had a number of discussion with Scott's manager Stefan Johansson about Dixon joining TKR for this years Bathurst endurance race in October.

"Stefan has confirmed Scott is keen on racing at Bathurst but we have gone
no further than that, as Scott needs to focus on the Indy 500 race before further discussions can be finalised" said John.

Dixon won the American IRL Championship in 2003 but has had an up and down season this year, while Team Kiwi Racing have proven that the TKR All Black machine is a very competitive race package which currently sits 6th equal in the Australian V8 Supercar Championship.

If Dixon does drive with TKR this year at Bathurst he will be assured of a front running car that will have the additional benefit of further car and engine development before the great race at Bathurst, Mount Panorama on the 6th to the 9th of October 2005.

How do you think he'll go in a v8 supercar?

Has Dixon ever Raced / or driven a v8 Supercar??

Whats Dixon history before Indy cars???
Old 27 May 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1311378)   #2
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
- Currently 15th in IndyCar Series standings, driving for Target Chip Ganassi Racing.

- Finished 10th in IndyCar Series standings, driving for Target Chip Ganassi Racing.
Earned two top-five and 10 top-10 finishes.
- Finished 10th in points in first year of Crown Royal IROC competition.
- With teammate Darren Manning, finished third in a CompUSA Daytona Prototype in the Rolex Series Grand Am Sportscar series finale.

- Won IndyCar Series Championship for Target Chip Ganassi Racing.
- Won season opener at Homestead-Miami Speedway, his first IndyCar Series start. Also earned victories at Pikes Peak and Richmond.
- Earned five MBNA Pole Awards (Japan, Richmond, Kansas, Nashville, Nazareth).
- Established an IndyCar Series record for most races led in a season (14).
- Led series in wins (3 – tied with de Ferran and Hornish); poles (5); races led (14) and laps led (748).
- A consistent front-runner, led the series in consecutive top-five starts (10); consecutive top-five finishes (3); consecutive top-10 starts (15) and consecutive races led (4).
- Became the first driver in IndyCar Series history to lead consecutive laps over the course of three races. Led the final 84 laps en route to a victory at Pikes Peak and led all 206 laps of the rain-shortened event Richmond. Led the first 53 laps at Kansas for a total of 343 consecutive laps led.

- Finished 13th in CART standings, earning three top-five finishes, including a second place at Denver.
- Began the season with PacWest Racing, moved to Target Chip Ganassi Racing before Milwaukee and finished season with Target team.
- Announced Oct. 23 he would compete in IndyCar Series for Target Chip Ganassi Racing in 2003.

- Won CART Jim Trueman Rookie of the Year Award and finished eighth in CART standings with victory at Nazareth.
- Youngest driver to win in any major open-wheel series with victory at Nazareth at age 20 years, 9 months, 14 days. 2000
- Won Dayton Indy Lights championship, winning six of 12 races driving for PacWest Lights team.

- Competed in first season of North American competition with Johansson Motorsports in Dayton Indy Lights series, winning at Chicago, where he led every lap from the pole.
- Finished fifth in championship and second in the Rookie of the Year standings.

- Won Australian-based Formula Holden championship for Formula 3000 cars with five wins, seven poles and five second-place finishes in 12 races.

- Finished third in Formula Holden and named series Rookie of the Year.

- Captured New Zealand Formula Ford Class I championship.

- Earned 13 wins in 14 races to capture New Zealand Formula Ford Class II championship.

- Finished second in the New Zealand Formula Class II championship.
- Won the New Zealand Formula Vee championship after being granted a special license to compete at the age of 13.

I hope that he does race at Bathurst.
Old 27 May 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1311385)   #3
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO if Scott Dixon does not get at least 3 test days before Bathurst he may as well stay in America. It is highly unlikely he would be up to pace without that.
Old 27 May 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1312003)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I would agree with that pete.

Scott is a class driver but the last 2 years havent been kind to him (hope this turns around on sunday night) but to be competitive in anything you need seat time.

if this is to happen then he needs to plan things carefully and get back to Oz to do some testing without interferring with his IRL schedule.

I'd like to see it happen to see how he would go but his main priority should be the IRL at the moment.
Old 27 May 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1312052)   #5
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But he is a very intuitive driver who generally pick things up quickly.

But then again, the TKR car is no SBR car.

But....

But.....

But.....
Old 28 May 2005, 02:47 (Ref:1312119)   #6
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guss
Has Dixon ever Raced / or driven a v8 Supercar??

[/B]
Yes.

I believe Dixon has test driven an HRT Commodore, as a bonus from Holden after he won the ADC/Formula Holden series....
Old 28 May 2005, 03:48 (Ref:1312130)   #7
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't know he ever tested an HRT car. I know he turned down a full-time HRT drive though as he felt that touring cars would hamper the single-seater ambition
Old 28 May 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1312249)   #8
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The possibilty of a Formula 1 drive or flogging an old Holden around outback Australia,I bet he can't sleep at night trying to decide which way to go....
Old 28 May 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1312251)   #9
Guss
Racer

Guss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
I didn't know he ever tested an HRT car. I know he turned down a full-time HRT drive though as he felt that touring cars would hamper the single-seater ambition

When was this
Old 28 May 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1312338)   #10
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2001 I think Guss.
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 28 May 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1312399)   #11
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was offered the seat the year he first headed to America for memory. The drive was pitched to him for AUS$250k for one season. He declined.
Old 31 May 2005, 07:30 (Ref:1315406)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
He was offered the seat the year he first headed to America for memory. The drive was pitched to him for AUS$250k for one season. He declined.
The decision was more than justified. On Bigger money from Toyota and Chipper, winning 2003 championship, testing with Williams. Probably the best decision he made
Old 31 May 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1316198)   #13
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody remember Mr Dixon racing a tin-top?

Nissan Sentra at Pukekohe was it?

I have no idea why (when the proof is time and time again in the pudding) the teams import "gun" drivers from overseas (all respect for Scott, but he's a very very capable single seater driver) for the enduros.

Although you can't deny the PR strength of getting Scott in the TKR machine.
Old 31 May 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1316219)   #14
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that nissan sentra was put a bin after a huge crash on the back straight if I remember right
Old 1 Jun 2005, 03:28 (Ref:1316364)   #15
dynamik gal
Racer

Netherlands
F1 Melbourne, Australia
dynamik gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rat has been going quite good this year in his TKR car, so i dont think that car reliability or speed would be of massive issue. From memory the TKR car has not done too badly over the past few years at Bathurst.