Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Mar 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1861816)   #1
Simd1978
Rookie

Simd1978 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CB Radio

Hi to all,
Im thinking of purchasing a Radio system. Im not sure what ill need, in the way of make, model, type etc. All i can say is that im a keen forest/tarmac rally fan. I have recently taken up occasional marshalling on events and have seen others use radio equipment. I havent looked too far into this yet but thought id start with those in the know to answer my queries. I hope someone here can steer me in the right direction. As a guide, i havent set a price on the equipment i will buy, just to try and get a good make of equipment that wont let me down. I would prefer handheld but if not car based will be ok. Your help and advice would be greatly recieved.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 22:01 (Ref:1861842)   #2
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simd1978
Hi to all,
Im thinking of purchasing a Radio system. Im not sure what ill need, in the way of make, model, type etc. All i can say is that im a keen forest/tarmac rally fan. I have recently taken up occasional marshalling on events and have seen others use radio equipment. I havent looked too far into this yet but thought id start with those in the know to answer my queries. I hope someone here can steer me in the right direction. As a guide, i havent set a price on the equipment i will buy, just to try and get a good make of equipment that wont let me down. I would prefer handheld but if not car based will be ok. Your help and advice would be greatly recieved.
Rally Radio Cars do not use CB for rally communication, they are on a dedicated radio system.

Rally marshals do use CB radios but only for general chit chat when travelling between stages together. You know the sort of communication "Any idea where we are?" ..." Nope".

I did once use a CB radio from outside a shop to ask the stage finish crew what batterys the comms system used as I had forgotten to check before leaving stage to buy some new ones.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1861880)   #3
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The radio's used on rallies are on a dedicated frequency and all sets are licensed by the MSA. In most instances to gain that licence you have to be a member of a club.
When the radio transmits it sends out a second signal that identifies the radio set & thus the user to control(s)

Hand helds are not normally licensend in there own right but as a "add on" to a fixed set.

This all helps to keep a tighter control on what is going on during an event. Bare in mind 3 or 4 stages may be running at any one time all going through one control so a tight radio system with experianced radio operators is essential.

So if you are interested in rally radio try your local motor club, although not all Motor clubs have any radio operators most will know someone who does it.

If you want any more info PM me and I will see what I can do.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 07:49 (Ref:1862084)   #4
Simd1978
Rookie

Great advice there, thanks alot. It sounds like i should do some homework on the subject. Ill start with my local motorclub, Louth Lincs M C, and go from there. Thankyou very much for the pointers.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 16:27 (Ref:1862440)   #5
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are a member of the BMMC/BRMC then there are at least 3 MSA Safety/Medical radio organisations that can help out, depending upon your geographical location as to who is the closest, as a rough guide the BRMC NorthEast use the Jupiter callsign, this is in fact the official Callsign of the BRMC. There are a group of BRMC members in the Northwest who use SILK, and there are some in the South/Mids who are Forests. Most of the new MSA spec radios can be had with a number of freqs, we now use these in preferance to CB when we are "Off Duty" If you want to spend the day with a radio crew out on a rally look at the BRMC Website www.brmc.org your local rally rep should be able to sort something out. www.silkrallyradio.com is also a usefull source of info
Old 9 Mar 2007, 18:37 (Ref:1862525)   #6
Simd1978
Rookie

Thanks Ian, also great advice. Im going to look into this in more detail, im going to the Robin Hood Stages in Nottingham to marshal this weekend, i have been told that i will be with a radio car so i hope to gain some knowledge there. Thanks to all involved and the advice given. Bye for now.
Old 10 Mar 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1863013)   #7
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simd1978,
If you go the C B chit chat route I got mine on eBay £6.50 works perfectly.
If you do go the MSA rally radio route you have to stay with your radio at all times, which on bigger events can be a pain as you only see numbers as it is your job to log them as they pass.
I am a radio opp but on events such as Rallye Sunseeker last month I go out as a foot marshal so as to enjoy the event more.
Just my thoughts hope it helps.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 21:53 (Ref:1863973)   #8
Ian Briggs
Veteran

The answer to being trapped by the car is to make sure there are two of you in the car......
Also, hand-held 81 meg radios are now fairly cheap, I used mine on the Robin hood this weekend, by the by, saturday night in Clipstone was magic, pitch dark with BDAs howling past.....
Old 11 Mar 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1864017)   #9
Simd1978
Rookie

Again thanks to all comments posted. Im viewing a couple of sets on the Bay now. As far as your comment, Ian, regarding the night stage on Clipstone North. I was there sampling my first taste of marshalling, at post 11 for the record, and your so right the sound of a BDA/Pinto at full chat on a still night is one to stir the soul. Made the drive back home all that more interesting too, being fired up from the action. Thanks to the fellow marshalls on point 11 for showing me the ropes, especially Gary? (Citroen C2) for answering my questions regarding the radio ops.
Old 11 Mar 2007, 22:26 (Ref:1864045)   #10
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian,
Last time I looked at a used handheld it was £100 and the way things are here at the moment that is not cheap.
As I said before on bigger events I feel I'm missing out buy doing radio, must be getting old!!
Old 12 Mar 2007, 00:53 (Ref:1864220)   #11
Avalarf
Rookie

United Kingdom
S W Surrey
Avalarf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitmarshal
Simd1978,
If you go the C B chit chat route I got mine on eBay £6.50 works perfectly.
Should you not have said it did untill you broke the mic key?

Chief Marshal
Farnborough District Motor Club.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1864656)   #12
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Didn't mention the mike, I was talking about the CB which is still OK.
Even better now with a complete mic.
Cost me a coffee for the mike though, never mind the expense!!
Old 12 Mar 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1864887)   #13
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simd1978
Again thanks to all comments posted. Im viewing a couple of sets on the Bay now. As far as your comment, Ian, regarding the night stage on Clipstone North. I was there sampling my first taste of marshalling, at post 11 for the record, and your so right the sound of a BDA/Pinto at full chat on a still night is one to stir the soul. Made the drive back home all that more interesting too, being fired up from the action. Thanks to the fellow marshalls on point 11 for showing me the ropes, especially Gary? (Citroen C2) for answering my questions regarding the radio ops.

Mind that any sets bought off ebay will have to go via a competent radio tech who can program the relevant code that the MSA issue to each radio, unless the MSA can transfer a radio to a new callsign, dont know.
Yes that would be Gary, or Silk 14 as he is also known!
Old 13 Mar 2007, 11:08 (Ref:1865487)   #14
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello
Old 14 Mar 2007, 12:17 (Ref:1866399)   #15
Avalarf
Rookie

United Kingdom
S W Surrey
Avalarf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Briggs
Mind that any sets bought off ebay will have to go via a competent radio tech who can program the relevant code that the MSA issue to each radio, unless the MSA can transfer a radio to a new callsign, dont know.
C B radio's cannot be used as MSA medical & safety radios.
If you want to do 81 radio you would be better off speaking to your regional radio coordinator, who could then advise you as to were to buy, and advise you on procedures.

Chief Marshal
Farnborough District Motor Club.