Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 1 Nov 2002, 09:20 (Ref:419166)   #1
supertouring
Racer

supertouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super Touring Magazine

I have some magazines titled SuperTouring. They concentrate on the BTCC but cover the other SuperTouring series from around the world also.

The first one I have is dated April 1995 and I have every month till Nov 95 plus a Preview 1996 issue as well. I have not seen these anywhere else, on the web or ebay etc, and was wondering if anyone else has seen them or if there were any issues other than the ones I have.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 11:00 (Ref:419228)   #2
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only ever saw one copy over here, and bought it. I was November 1995 (i think), the one that covers the 1995 World Cup. That was the only one i saw in Australia.

At the end of 1997 i saw a magazine called Touring Car Magazine, with a BTCC Nissan Primera, i didn't have any money on me but when i went back to get it it was gone, and a i never saw a trace of the mag or any other editions again.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 20:18 (Ref:419760)   #3
JP
Rookie

JP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure you have almost the full set of SuperTouring there (I can't find the April '95 one, bit I do have an extra one dated New Year 1996). About a year after it went belly-up some of those involved launched another mag called Touring Car Worldwide (it was apparently going to be Touring Car World, but had to be re-named due to the clash with the Ravaioli annual). That one ran to 8 issues in 1998. The last I heard of it was a letter from the publishers offering a refund of my subscription if I didn't want to wait for the delayed issue no 9. I opted to wait - and I'm still waiting!
Old 1 Nov 2002, 23:42 (Ref:419928)   #4
supertouring
Racer

Never seen Touring Car worldwide, was it available via newsagents? Sounds like something I need to get my hands on. Thanks.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 19:15 (Ref:420325)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I regret not buying more Super Touring Magazines. I have 3 myself.

Touring Car Worldwide was put together by the original writer/editor of Super Touring Magazine after the publisher decided to end the latter magazine. However, even Touring Car Worldwide could not be made commercially viable so that was shut down. Actually, the editor is a member of our tne-tenths forum, but I will let him identify himself he wants to. If you want, you can try and write to get your remaining unused credit back.

It's really sad that a single touring car magazine could not be made commercially viable. In theory, if all the original 12-15 ST championships advertised/sold the magazine at it's races, perhaps it would have a better chance.

It's too bad all the international touring car racing championship organizers could not support a single magazine. If they co-operated,I'm sure we could see a monthly magazine that covers all the touring car championships--Imagine V8 Supercar, ETCC, TC2000, World Challenge, JGTC, DTM, BTCC, NZTC, NTCC, STCC!!! Awesome idea huh??

The closest thing right now is the Touring Car World annual.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 21:06 (Ref:420372)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also remember this magazine, in fact I think I have 2 or 3 issues somewhere , but I can not remember where.........
Old 2 Nov 2002, 21:20 (Ref:420381)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
This should be an FAQ somewhere, I'm sure it's come up before.

There have been 3 different attempts to publish a monthly Touring Car related title.

1) Super Touring - produced in association with TOCA. First published April 1995. Mainly BTCC with an hint of DTM, STW etc. Lasted monthly until Dec 95, then as a one-off '96 season preview in April just after the first rounds. More occational issues were promised but never happened. The editor was Andrew Charman, who as kmchow says is an occational poster to this forum.

2) Touring Car Racing - very glossy format, similar in layout to an extended race programme. First issue was May 1997. I've only ever seen 3 issues (May, June and July 97). As I recall I did subscribe but the cheque was never cashed.

3) Touring Car Worldwide - first issue published March 1997. It covered BTCC, STW, Aussie ST, Bathurst, NATCC, DTM. Last issue I have is number 8 (Oct 97?). Issue 9 was supposed to be a season review out in December but don't think it ever happened. Editior was Andrew Charman again.

Touring Car World is an annual publication writen by Fabio Ravaioli, renowned Touring Car expert and ETCC Media Officer. It cover pretty much every tin-top series anywhere in the world. It's a bit light on pics but packed with enough info to keep the most hardened anorak happy.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 23:12 (Ref:420442)   #8
supertouring
Racer

Outstanding responses (as always!) but not what I wanted to hear. It just means I now HAVE to have these mags as well. So if anyone knows where I can get some old copies or has some to get rid off, then I am at the front of the queue.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 01:49 (Ref:420492)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
This should be an FAQ somewhere, I'm sure it's come up before.

There have been 3 different attempts to publish a monthly Touring Car related title.

2) Touring Car Racing - very glossy format, similar in layout to an extended race programme. First issue was May 1997. I've only ever seen 3 issues (May, June and July 97). As I recall I did subscribe but the cheque was never cashed.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that magazine. The latter covered the BTCC largely. Supertouring/Touring Car Worldwide tried to provide a more balanced global coverage. Though one can always debate whether or not Nascar is to be considered a touring car series.

Quote:

3) Touring Car World is an annual publication writen by Fabio Ravaioli, renowned Touring Car expert and ETCC Media Officer. It cover pretty much every tin-top series anywhere in the world. It's a bit light on pics but packed with enough info to keep the most hardened anorak happy.
I think it has a reasonable amount of pics. The more frustrating thing I find with it, is that the pictures are just so small. Also, it has a lot of statistics which is sometimes more boring. I've managed to track down all and buy all of them, largely for the pictures!
Old 4 Nov 2002, 18:48 (Ref:421624)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by supertouring
Outstanding responses (as always!) but not what I wanted to hear. It just means I now HAVE to have these mags as well.
If you're writing a definate Super Touring history website, then yes, you HAVE to have them

Can't offer much in the way of pointers, other than Charter @ Silverstone/Brands, autojumbles, Ebay, etc etc. BTW I'm missing the Sept issue of SuperTouring so if you see a spare copy grab one for me.

Just a thought.. as ST mag is no more it might be worth trying to contact Andrew Charman to see if you can reproduce any of the content on your site. As I recall there were some good background articles.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 20:43 (Ref:421697)   #11
kmchow
Veteran

Since someone else has identified Andrew Charman, I recall he used to visit this site. I'm not sure if he still does though? He can probably help you out alot.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 17:51 (Ref:422325)   #12
RollingThunder
Rookie

RollingThunder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super Touring and the missing Andrew Charman

Hello - I'm Andrew Charman, and I'm still around!

Producing Super Touring I enjoyed very much, and it made me a lot of friends who these days I don't see often enough. Only last March at the Geneva Motor Show I ran into Alain Menu on the Renault stand and the delighted look on his face was worth the flight alone.

Sadly Super Touring was a victim of a change of management at the publisher, which resulted in the Managing Director leaving. My mistake was to try and do it again at that same MD's new company, producing what became Touring Car Worldwide. A combination of things killed this one - some but not all of the reasons being that there was never enough finance, virtually as we launched we found ourselves up against a rival in a market that wasn't really big enough for one let alone two, and we were by that time seeing the start of the decline of Super Touring racing. It ended up with the magazine being canned and me being made redundant by a company that had effectively head-hunted me a year earlier! I don't look back on 1997 nearly as fondly as I do 1995, the year of Super Touring Magazine.

I have since established myself as mainly a road car journalist, writing weekly columns for various newspapers, getting taken on launches around Europe and driving different cars every week, so it's a little less stressful than the Super Touring years! I also spend part of my month as Contributing Editor to a classic car magazine.

These days I do very little motorsport, though I try not to miss any ASCAR rounds at Rockingham. Yes I can now admit it, I'm a big fan of US-style oval racing - that was my excuse for persuading my publishers at TCW that running a monthly NASCAR feature would add an extra element to the magazine...

I did go to the opening round of this year's BTCC, at Brands Hatch. The racing was okay, but walking through the paddock on the Sunday was depressing - it was so quiet, and they used to be so alive. I particularly remember 1993 - what a year that was.... I'll put it all in a book one day, if I ever find the time between road tests!

Best regards

Andrew Charman
Old 5 Nov 2002, 19:17 (Ref:422410)   #13
supertouring
Racer

What can I say, a thoroughly nice man and someone still as passionate about SuperTouring as the rest of us. I am also glad to see that there is a possibility of a book as well, I do hope this comes to fruition, the series deserves it.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 16:42 (Ref:800471)   #14
supertouring
Racer

A whole year later and I have managed to lay my hands on some of these.
Several issues of Touring Car Racing (may, june, july & Sep '97), a SuperTouring Mag for New Year 96 (did not know existed) and some other BBC Touring Car mags from 96 and 99.
Anyone know if there were other BBC mags for 97 & 98?

Redshoes, I also managed to get a spare SuperTouring Sept 95 if you are interested?
Old 1 Dec 2003, 22:32 (Ref:800765)   #15
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SuperTouring I have sent a PM.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 20:08 (Ref:804042)   #16
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I have the BBC mags from 94, 95, 96 and 99. So the question of 97 and 98 is of interest to me too!

I have all issues of 'Super Touring' as well as the preview issue which was quite entertaining! I also have all eight issues of 'Touring Car Worlwide' but, apart from a flyer, I have never managed to get my hands on anything with 'Touring Car Racing' on the cover. If anyone has any input I'd be interested!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 21:21 (Ref:804105)   #17
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not mags but I have the official Touring Car yearbooks for 1992, 1993 and 1994.

Also have a DTM yearbook for 1993, brilliant pics, pity the text is in German.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 02:40 (Ref:810707)   #18
kmchow
Veteran

There's also an annual highlighting the 24hrs of Spa Francochamps. It's in engligh as well!
And don't forget, there were a few books regarding Touring cars!

Last edited by kmchow; 13 Dec 2003 at 02:40.
Old 24 Apr 2004, 18:58 (Ref:950301)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Super Touring Magazine

What dates did it run from and to ?

Thanks.
Old 26 Apr 2004, 17:53 (Ref:952547)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=29372
Old 28 Apr 2004, 19:15 (Ref:954926)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I believe you just bought a collection from a nice man in Tewkesbury!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 21:00 (Ref:955034)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, and he's the first ever ebayer who's spelt my name, and address right! Bloody good reads all of them!

Still missing one or two though. April 1995 which he had signed and went for a wee bit more than the others..
Old 28 Apr 2004, 21:01 (Ref:955038)   #23
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
PS thanks Nigel!
Old 29 Apr 2004, 09:26 (Ref:955499)   #24
supertouring
Racer

I have some spares if you are interested. Which ones do you want?
Old 30 Apr 2004, 20:53 (Ref:957318)   #25
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Blimey, Blair, that's good - he can't even spell his own name right most of the time!!