Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which will be the first 2020 GP?
Australia 0 0%
Bahrain 0 0%
Vietnam 0 0%
China 0 0%
Netherlands 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
Monaco 0 0%
Azerbaijan 0 0%
Canada 2 5.13%
France 2 5.13%
Austria 1 2.56%
Britain 3 7.69%
Hungary 0 0%
Belgium 3 7.69%
Italy 0 0%
Singapore 2 5.13%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 2 5.13%
United States 1 2.56%
Mexico 0 0%
Brazil 0 0%
Abu Dhabi 2 5.13%
Somewhere else 0 0%
There will not be a 2020 GP 21 53.85%
There will never be another GP 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Aug 2020, 00:05 (Ref:3992610)   #1801
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Lots of questions and only the contract wording will allow us the answer. Effectively if the law is changed to ban motorsport then the organisers can claim a change in law. But it really does depend on the words in the contract.

In my world this whole thing is creating a new legal and contractual concept. Unfortunately some folks are sticking with the contract which won't assist in the long run.
Domestic motor sport will still be allowed to some extent subject to any travel domestic restrictions but the Bathurst 12 hour has already been abandoned and the anticipation is that the AGP will suffer the same fate. Governements generally justify the spending against the economic return but that equation seems doomed and the deep debt being created makes it more unlikely that the money is even available to hold the event no matter what the return is.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 03:19 (Ref:4045492)   #1802
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Does this mean F1 will have a 24 race calendar, or will this race replace a venue whose contract is up?
Martin Brundle said at some point during the Bahrain telecast that Liberty didn’t expect Mexico or Brazil to run because of the nature of the Covid situation there and that Australia was highly unlikely because the current 14 day quarantine rules are likely to either still be in place or at least not lifted until it is too late to confirm staging of the race and begin preparations.
I think if Miami happens it is more likely for 2022 and I’d hate to think it would be at the expense of COTA.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 07:29 (Ref:4045511)   #1803
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Shame if those three races don't go ahead, especially with the season ending at Saudi and Abu Dhabi, which is hardly consolation
Old 11 Apr 2021, 11:03 (Ref:4045535)   #1804
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Still plenty of options for replacement races if required. Might need a few tweaks to the later part of the calendar.
Turkey, Nurby, Hock, Mugello, or some tracks in the med/iberia region.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 11:15 (Ref:4045537)   #1805
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Martin Brundle said at some point during the Bahrain telecast that Liberty didn’t expect Mexico or Brazil to run because of the nature of the Covid situation there and that Australia was highly unlikely because the current 14 day quarantine rules are likely to either still be in place or at least not lifted until it is too late to confirm staging of the race and begin preparations.
I think if Miami happens it is more likely for 2022 and I’d hate to think it would be at the expense of COTA.
With the collapse of the vaccine roll out program in Australia 2021 is looking very doubtful and as it is now almost certain that all Australians will not be vaccinated until 2022, a March date in 2022 is also unlikely.

I still believe we witnessed in 2019 the last running of the AGP for the foreseeable future.
Old 11 Apr 2021, 14:59 (Ref:4045585)   #1806
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post

Whether Mexico or Brazil go ahead because of Covid, pertains to this season. The Miami GP was never a consideration for this year.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 02:46 (Ref:4045640)   #1807
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
With the collapse of the vaccine roll out program in Australia 2021 is looking very doubtful and as it is now almost certain that all Australians will not be vaccinated until 2022, a March date in 2022 is also unlikely.

I still believe we witnessed in 2019 the last running of the AGP for the foreseeable future.

I think you are being too pessimistic. Yes Australian govt have totally stuffed up vaccination and are now saying not everyone will get done this year.
Theres a lot of money to be made from this race by a lot of people and the state and fed govt has thrown too much money in to shrug and walk away

So I think this year wont go ahead but a late 2022 race will. Dont forget Adelaide was the last race for a number of years.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 03:54 (Ref:4045644)   #1808
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vaccine or not I never thought that this year's event was going to happen in November. The idea of putting the circuit together in November, ripping it all out and then doing it again in March just did not seem like it was going to happen due to the costs and inconvenience it would cause over a short amount of time.
Old 13 Apr 2021, 13:24 (Ref:4045848)   #1809
Casper
Veteran

Speculation on re-opening Australia's borders

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...13-p57ixi.html

This must affect a November meeting as it takes some months lead time to organise things and without cast iron assurances being made by the Federal Government I doubt it is going to happen.
Old 13 Apr 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4045852)   #1810
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Still seven months to go, have to see if things have improved by then
Old 14 Apr 2021, 01:27 (Ref:4045905)   #1811
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Still seven months to go, have to see if things have improved by then
If you lived here you would understand that 7 months is going to make no difference and he has put out that media release to soften the country to the idea that the government has already made up its mind in this matter. I would think there is a really big chance that next year is in doubt also. The Federal Government has consistently said that the borders would remain closed for a very long time and have stuck to that policy and anyone even wanting to leave Oz needs permission to do so and that policy shows no signs of changing. On the other hand we are for all intents & purposes Covid free and day to day life is normal.
Old 14 Apr 2021, 10:10 (Ref:4045933)   #1812
S griffin
Veteran

It’s good you are keeping things under control down under, although the closed border policy puts certain events under threat. How’s the vaccine program going in Australia?
Old 14 Apr 2021, 14:05 (Ref:4045962)   #1813
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
It’s good you are keeping things under control down under, although the closed border policy puts certain events under threat. How’s the vaccine program going in Australia?
Not well but we don't need it urgently like most other countries such as the UK.
Old 14 Apr 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4045982)   #1814
S griffin
Veteran

Well your country has managed the pandemic so well there’s no real hurry. The fact our government has handled it badly means we have been desperate for the vaccines so we can go back to normal
Old 14 Apr 2021, 15:57 (Ref:4045987)   #1815
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well your country has managed the pandemic so well there’s no real hurry. The fact our government has handled it badly means we have been desperate for the vaccines so we can go back to normal

You don't seem to understand that although the Aussies and the Kiwis have managed to control the incidences of the virus, they have both done so by closing their borders. This means that there are currently about 45,000 Australian citizens that are stuck abroad and cannot return to their homes because their government is strictly restricting the return to a tiny number each week. However, their local economies that are driven by locals have returned pretty well to normal, but their tourism and other foreign driven income has pretty well dried out completely.

The UK by comparison hasn't really closed our borders, and the NHS is suffering for it, as well as permitting an extremely high death rate. And while we continue to effectively have an open border, we will continue to have virus cases despite the success of the vaccination process. And you need to remember that just because one has been vaccinated doesn't mean that they cannot subsequently catch the virus. It just means that in most likelihood the effects will be less severe, and shouldn't, hopefully, result in death or require hospital admittance.

In actuality, if the Aussies rolled out the vaccine quicker, there would, in my opinion, be a possibility that they could re-open their borders sooner to those from other countries that have likewise been vaccinated.

Last edited by Mike Harte; 14 Apr 2021 at 16:02.
Old 14 Apr 2021, 16:03 (Ref:4045988)   #1816
S griffin
Veteran

At the moment the only country we could visit without problem would be Israel
Old 14 Apr 2021, 16:32 (Ref:4045989)   #1817
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
At the moment the only country we could visit without problem would be Israel
Actually that is not the case. - https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/israel

'Travel to Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories is subject to entry and exit restrictions

Israel is in full lockdown from 8 January 2021. During this time international travel is prohibited with some exceptions as set out on the Ministry of Health website.

Foreign nationals are not permitted to enter unless they are citizens of Israel, with some limited exemptions.
If you are eligible for entry, you will need to complete an entry form. All travellers entering Israel will be required to quarantine upon entry for 14 days (shortening to 10 days if two negative coronavirus tests are completed).

To exit Israel, you will need to complete an exit form.'
Old 14 Apr 2021, 17:08 (Ref:4045990)   #1818
S griffin
Veteran

Taking a light hearted comment too seriously I see
Old 15 Apr 2021, 02:26 (Ref:4046031)   #1819
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Taking a light hearted comment too seriously I see

Not at all, I could see your tongue boring a hole in your cheek and I thought my answer was in the same vein. My apologies if the quoted answer was not directed at me.
Old 15 Apr 2021, 03:46 (Ref:4046033)   #1820
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
.......However, their local economies that are driven by locals have returned pretty well to normal, but their tourism and other foreign driven income has pretty well dried out completely.
In actual fact now to counter that shortfall and to boost the tourism industry the advertising is now very much being aimed at locals/residents.... reinforcing a message along the lines of 'Australia has so much within itself we dont need to go overseas'.

All sorts of local packages are being advertised to ensure that Aussies still go on holidays but do it internally. And in safety (in Covid terms.)

The Government have also come to the party with a "we'll pay half your (discount) airfare" to locals flying interstate for holiday purposes.

As an aside I believe the local caravan industry is having a good time with sales having a mini-boom. I guess also the same for Motorhome sales and rentals as people seek to pursue local touring holidays.
Old 15 Apr 2021, 06:53 (Ref:4046040)   #1821
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
In actual fact now to counter that shortfall and to boost the tourism industry the advertising is now very much being aimed at locals/residents.... reinforcing a message along the lines of 'Australia has so much within itself we dont need to go overseas'.

All sorts of local packages are being advertised to ensure that Aussies still go on holidays but do it internally. And in safety (in Covid terms.)

The Government have also come to the party with a "we'll pay half your (discount) airfare" to locals flying interstate for holiday purposes.

As an aside I believe the local caravan industry is having a good time with sales having a mini-boom. I guess also the same for Motorhome sales and rentals as people seek to pursue local touring holidays.
This all seems extremely sensible to me. I know that a lot of Brits want to go abroad in search of better weather but putting that aside we have some wonderful places to visit much nearer home. Plus, our more local economies could really do with the income after everything having been practically closed down for over 12 months. It's far to sensible an idea however for our government to back such an idea unfortunately.
Old 15 Apr 2021, 08:05 (Ref:4046051)   #1822
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
This all seems extremely sensible to me. I know that a lot of Brits want to go abroad in search of better weather but putting that aside we have some wonderful places to visit much nearer home. Plus, our more local economies could really do with the income after everything having been practically closed down for over 12 months. It's far to sensible an idea however for our government to back such an idea unfortunately.

The problem here is that the UK government tried that last year with Eat Out campaign that was put in place to boost the restaurant industry, and it proved to help increase the spread of the virus after it had initially started decreasing during the previous months.

I fear that once bitten, they will be twice shy and they will do nothing, unless the home tourism industry manage to lobby persuasively.
Old 15 Apr 2021, 14:01 (Ref:4046087)   #1823
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Just a question and putting covid aside, how many GPs can survive as purley local events attended exclusively by local attendees?

Foreign tourists bring in new money and sales taxes where as locals, to a larger extent, are spending money and paying sales tax that they would have otherwise spent locally even if the GP didnt happen...locals are not a new revenue source if you will.

The various branches of government who support the Montreal GP, for example, do so because they 'claim' tourists are bringing in new money and new tax revenue.

Imo Montreal could not afford the race without govt help and that help wont come (or at least much harder to justify) without that large number of foreign tourists bringing their money in.

I would think Melbourne in this same catagory?
Without doubt Melbourne fits into that category. The justification for the public (govt) funding has always been the income from tourism, the business in terms of accomodation, restaurants, and the fact that spectators from overseas who make the long journey for the GP will generally tack on extra time in Aus to go to other tourist areas, wineries etc. Also the local employment that the event commands, from staffing the event, the preparation, plus the peripherals.

With the Aussie vaccination programme running behind expectation due to supply problems from Europe, there is doubt as to whether Australians will be vaccinated to a level that warrants opening the borders to foreign visitors without them undergoing quarantine. And that includes F1 personnel. They wont want / physically be able to undergo quarantine here which is to all purposes a hotel room imprisonment with people not allowed to leave their room for any reason beyond medical emergency. Meals left outside the room etc.

Unless of course F1 can, with all personnel fully vaccinated and tested prior to getting on a plane to Aus, can negotiate some sort of F1 bubble as they did in I think Abu Dhabi last year. Beyond that I have strong concerns that November will happen in Melbourne, certainly under the current legislation which we are told is unlikely to change before the back end of the year.

Qantas have only yesterday confirmed they will not run any international flights out of the country until end October when that will be reviewed. Incoming personnel are currently limited to a trickle of the many thousands of Australians stranded overseas.... the limited number a conscious decision so quarantine hotels are not overloaded along with our public health system.

I dont wish to sound too doom and gloom, but the reality to me is the November date for the AGP is nothing more than a target which may or may not be achieved. The good news is that the track changes planned are well underway. I took a drive to Albert Park on Monday and can vouch for work going full steam ahead. (When I say the good news, that is not to say I agree with all the changes! But that is another subject. )
Old 15 Apr 2021, 19:48 (Ref:4046146)   #1824
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco & Baku will also both be off. Pretty sure there's already replacements lined up.
Old 15 Apr 2021, 20:03 (Ref:4046151)   #1825
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Monaco & Baku will also both be off. Pretty sure there's already replacements lined up.

Monaco will be happen. The track and all the infrastructur is to 90% built for this year.