Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Dec 2020, 19:23 (Ref:4023944)   #3251
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
No kidding Jacques Borel! A brand I didn't hear about for ages. He was a precursor. May be you remember the days when someone filled the gas tank of your car and cleaned the windshield, un "pompiste"? Sounds strange now. Re sandwiches, the worse reference you can find is SNCF!
Old 19 Dec 2020, 20:06 (Ref:4023953)   #3252
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Re sandwiches, the worse reference you can find is SNCF!

Have you never heard of the British Rail sandwiches, especially the cheese ones? They were "renowned" back in the day as a form of ridicule.
Old 19 Dec 2020, 21:27 (Ref:4023963)   #3253
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No kidding Jacques Borel! A brand I didn't hear about for ages. He was a precursor. May be you remember the days when someone filled the gas tank of your car and cleaned the windshield, un "pompiste"? Sounds strange now. Re sandwiches, the worse reference you can find is SNCF!
I didn't think they were too bad, you could also get a hot dog thing where they skewered a long roll on a heated stick to toast it.
I do remember the pompistes in France, we used to fill up with gas oil in a garage called Voyages Inglard outside Aire Sur La Lys (I think). They, and other garages would also give you gifts or money for using them, happy days
Old 19 Dec 2020, 21:33 (Ref:4023964)   #3254
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Fixed that for you.
Nice one Peter!

And may I suggest that the '?' is not strictly necessary when the question is rhetorical?

Gerrard - it's a large nose, so plenty of room up there for language, as long as it's grammatically correct language, of course! I'm willing to cut you some slack, as English isn't your first language. But I'll be watching!
Old 19 Dec 2020, 22:02 (Ref:4023970)   #3255
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Useless news: from Jan 1, import a sandwich from the UK to the continent , like jambon-beurre or saucisson cornichon will be forbidden. Even jambon fromage. WTF!
Assurement le projet peur.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Dec 2020, 06:32 (Ref:4024059)   #3256
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
I'm willing to cut you some slack, as English isn't your first language. But I'll be watching!
That's what Mike used to do sometimes behind the curtain when I was asking for help or check. I recall he had a lot of tact. I won't explain you the meaning of this word, n'est-ce pas?

Tim, its a pure shame SNCf bars dont offer hot-dogs anymore. If I'm correct, since the locomotives are electric. No steam angine, no hot dog! Simple like that.

Max, now you practice it on a regular basis, your French is perfect. Max is back!

Last edited by Gerard C; 20 Dec 2020 at 06:37.
Old 20 Dec 2020, 06:47 (Ref:4024060)   #3257
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Did you have the Antar brand in the UK? Remember Antarix le Gaulois? Not Asterix, Antarix.
https://picclick.fr/FIGURINES-ANTARI...939151391.html
Old 20 Dec 2020, 07:05 (Ref:4024062)   #3258
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Breaking news: il semble que les Londoniens se réveillent avec la gueule de bois avant d'avoir fait la fête de Noël! Dura lex, sed lex! Pan sur le nez…
Old 20 Dec 2020, 09:26 (Ref:4024073)   #3259
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm now concerned as my favorite Smirnoff Vodka that is produced in Italy is temporarily unavailable from Amazon, no doubt stuck in a queue of trucks on the A16 outside Calais. Hear that John? How many miles from your home to Calais' queue? I'll happily supply the straws… Drink on the roof of your house!
I don't drink vodka, but wait until January and you will have company on my roof as I have a man coming to do some work!
Old 20 Dec 2020, 09:31 (Ref:4024074)   #3260
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't believe the French make cheddar. They apparently don't consider it to be cheese. So probably just another scare story.
The cheddar I mostly find here is made by Wyke in England, although I have seen some with 'Made in Ireland' stamped on it, Heaven forbid! To the best of my knowledge Cheddar is in England, NOT Ireland...
Old 20 Dec 2020, 09:42 (Ref:4024075)   #3261
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
A man on your roof, John? Mais alors, où sont les femmes? How many garden gnomes?

Last edited by Gerard C; 20 Dec 2020 at 09:58.
Old 20 Dec 2020, 10:33 (Ref:4024093)   #3262
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I'm now concerned as my favorite Smirnoff Vodka that is produced in Italy is temporarily unavailable from Amazon, no doubt stuck in a queue of trucks on the A16 outside Calais.
Thought it was made by Diageo in Alloa

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 20 Dec 2020 at 11:38. Reason: Corrected quote tags
Old 20 Dec 2020, 13:53 (Ref:4024125)   #3263
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://www.jibjab.com/view/make/fel...source=cordial

Talents they did not know they had.
Old 20 Dec 2020, 14:44 (Ref:4024143)   #3264
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Farrell View Post
Thought it was made by Diageo in Alloa
I thought it was made in West London but according to the bottle it's produced in Italia. Not to worry however as I've just had an email to say it's on its way, maybe just a coincidence that all the truck queues by the channel have gone overnight
Old 20 Dec 2020, 16:42 (Ref:4024169)   #3265
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Did you have the Antar brand in the UK? Remember Antarix le Gaulois? Not Asterix, Antarix.
https://picclick.fr/FIGURINES-ANTARI...939151391.html
Never heard of Antarix, here's the only Antar I've heard of:

Old 20 Dec 2020, 19:05 (Ref:4024185)   #3266
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Antar was a famous brand here, from 1927 to 2005. Then Elf took over before being Total. Antar is known for its Molygraphite motor oil, a great move in engine protection, launched in 1934.
More related to this thread, the sponsorship could be seen on Lolas and on the absolutely stunning Fiat 128 of the Scuderia Filipinetti. Antar was sponsor of Gaston Rahier when he won the Dakar with his Bimmer in '84.
Cette marque était très attachée Ã* ses racines, pur produit français, c'est pour cela que fût choisi le petit Gaulois pour la représenter. Car la France, Monsieur Max, c'est surtout la Gaule!
Old 20 Dec 2020, 19:11 (Ref:4024187)   #3267
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Wiki tell me "your" antar is a reference to Antar Ibn Shadded, a pre-islamic Arab poet-warrior. Dont ask me about the connection between a poet and war, may be its because the rockets are sent with poetry? Or painted pink may be…
Old 20 Dec 2020, 20:00 (Ref:4024197)   #3268
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
https://www.jibjab.com/view/make/fel...source=cordial

Talents they did not know they had.
Brilliant, thank you Bauble.
Old 20 Dec 2020, 21:01 (Ref:4024202)   #3269
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Antar was a famous brand here, from 1927 to 2005. Then Elf took over before being Total. Antar is known for its Molygraphite motor oil, a great move in engine protection, launched in 1934.
More related to this thread, the sponsorship could be seen on Lolas and on the absolutely stunning Fiat 128 of the Scuderia Filipinetti. Antar was sponsor of Gaston Rahier when he won the Dakar with his Bimmer in '84.
Cette marque était très attachée Ã* ses racines, pur produit français, c'est pour cela que fût choisi le petit Gaulois pour la représenter. Car la France, Monsieur Max, c'est surtout la Gaule!
Now you mention it, yes I seem to remember seeing the brand on my occasional forays in French fields. Complete with the little Gaul too.

Old 21 Dec 2020, 12:33 (Ref:4024334)   #3270
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Westminster seats.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	65834
These are the seats out of the Westminster. Christmas present for Jim's son. "lot of work"!
Old 21 Dec 2020, 12:41 (Ref:4024336)   #3271
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Attachment 65834
These are the seats out of the Westminster. Christmas present for Jim's son. "lot of work"!
Well done, they look excellent.
Old 21 Dec 2020, 12:57 (Ref:4024342)   #3272
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Delta, was the Westie you possession at some point of its life? I remember your comments about the use of the car rear seats…
Old 21 Dec 2020, 13:06 (Ref:4024345)   #3273
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Jim's family have given me the car. Yes its mine now.
Old 21 Dec 2020, 15:39 (Ref:4024379)   #3274
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Nice one Iain.
Old 21 Dec 2020, 16:29 (Ref:4024391)   #3275
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Brilliant, thank you Bauble.
Thanks, Peter at least someone appreciated the video, maybe others were less pleased.