Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 12 Dec 2020, 12:55 (Ref:4022339)   #76
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
James Hunt raced half a century ago. It's a different time with different standards. You don't judge either person using the 'rules' of a different time.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 13:16 (Ref:4022345)   #77
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
James Hunt raced half a century ago. It's a different time with different standards. You don't judge either person using the 'rules' of a different time.
Remember seeing a certain Italian college of James' getting a smack alongside the head by a young lady who objected to him inappropriately putting a hand on her anatomy, seemed like summary justice that saved everybody a lot of time, left him with a five finger sticker, and fixed the problem.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 19:39 (Ref:4022418)   #78
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Remember seeing a certain Italian college of James' getting a smack alongside the head by a young lady who objected to him inappropriately putting a hand on her anatomy, seemed like summary justice that saved everybody a lot of time, left him with a five finger sticker, and fixed the problem.
Until the next raceday......
Old 12 Dec 2020, 19:47 (Ref:4022420)   #79
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
any woman will tell you you absolutely cannot do that nowadays. too many men can’t handle a polite “no thanks” and go nuclear, imagine how well a slap would go down. particularly amongst the type of idiot who lashes out on track when someone dares challenge him.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 20:01 (Ref:4022425)   #80
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not entirely sure that the order of operations should be "grope a woman" and then "find out if she is ok with being groped". Is that how we find out if a woman is ok with being sexually assaulted? Do it first, and see how she reacts?

My neighbour has a rather nice car. I'm going to go steal it and then judge his reaction afterwards to find out if he's ok with that.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 20:12 (Ref:4022428)   #81
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In civilised society it was ever the same. Either the action was consensual or you got a slap. Hence most of us didn't event think about it. Why is it different now?
Old 12 Dec 2020, 20:28 (Ref:4022439)   #82
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Because the consequences for sexual assault are now more than a slap.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 20:33 (Ref:4022441)   #83
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, more because we don't recognise personal space until someone tells us. Sad isn't it. What was good or bad manners now has to be legislated.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 20:52 (Ref:4022445)   #84
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I am 100% for the moving of sexual assault to being a legislated issue, rather than being covered under bad manners.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 20:55 (Ref:4022447)   #85
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm more about being a gentleman and civilised behaviour. Legislation takes away personal responsibility.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 20:57 (Ref:4022448)   #86
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
My neighbour has a rather nice car. I'm going to go steal it and then judge his reaction afterwards to find out if he's ok with that.
Boys will be Boys. I am sure you would just be having a bit of fun. No harm meant? Not sure what the fuss is all about!

Richard
Old 12 Dec 2020, 21:00 (Ref:4022449)   #87
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Boys will be Boys. I am sure you would just be having a bit of fun. No harm meant? Not sure what the fuss is all about!

Richard
No harm meant at all! We don't need the law to protect his property - I just need to be responsible when I steal it. If I'm not, he can slap me.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 21:14 (Ref:4022453)   #88
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Personal responsibility clearly doesn't work in the 21st century.

To be frank it didn't work in the 20th century either, it's just that crass, boorish behaviour was seen as high spirits and harmless fun. Heaven forbid that the victim protested, they were seen as a frigid party pooper.

Personally I rather like the 21st century way of doing things.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Dec 2020, 21:41 (Ref:4022457)   #89
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And not everyone has the confidence to slap back, or can be sure that this won't escalate after doing so. They shouldn't have to either, as it shouldn't happen in the first place.

Things have changed and it's a good thing here.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 22:25 (Ref:4022466)   #90
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm more about being a gentleman and civilised behaviour. Legislation takes away personal responsibility.
What rubbish. It does nothing of the sort. You still have the personal responsibility not to assault people.
Legislation just means the state can punish you if you neglect that personal responsibility.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 22:25 (Ref:4022467)   #91
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
100% correct Adam.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 23:00 (Ref:4022473)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
What rubbish. It does nothing of the sort. You still have the personal responsibility not to assault people.
Legislation just means the state can punish you if you neglect that personal responsibility.
OK. I think you missed my point. Hey ho.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 23:01 (Ref:4022474)   #93
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Would you like to clarify your point? Given the topic is sexual assault, it is at least on topic.
Old 12 Dec 2020, 23:22 (Ref:4022477)   #94
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
OK. I think you missed my point. Hey ho.
I think most of us did. So please explain.

Old 12 Dec 2020, 23:48 (Ref:4022484)   #95
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I keep typing things in this thread and deleting them, because the nuance in the specific issue at hand is really complex.

There is no nuance wrt Mr Mazepin, though. He's young, white, rich and entitled. It appears (from previous performances) that he's a reasonable driver with unreasonable expectations, and when the expectations aren't met, he's an arrogant young man with no sense of his own entitlement.

He won't last. The piranhas will eat him.
Old 13 Dec 2020, 04:36 (Ref:4022510)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I think most of us did. So please explain.

OK, without getting into a treatise on the differences between morals, rules and laws and codes of conduct. If we hadn't seen the video, we wouldn't be discussing this. Hence he didn't break a law, he behaved immorally. But we've seen it so arguably he's broken a sporting rule but unless someone brings charges, he isn't subject to the law. Having broken a rule he should receive a slap of some kind. To put it another way. When Shuey introduced his chop, we saw it as unsporting, it didn't break any laws. The FIA introduced a rule to stop it. My point being that we all have a moral compass and shouldn't rely on laws and or rules to stop us doing things.

What he did was reprehensible, and he should have received a slap for it. But it became public knowledge and thus now he should be sanctioned. Hope this helps.
Old 13 Dec 2020, 08:32 (Ref:4022523)   #97
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
It seems we didn’t miss your point. A slap is not an appropriate repercussion for groping a woman. It isn’t schrodinger's assault. It doesn’t change just because it is witnessed.
Old 13 Dec 2020, 08:36 (Ref:4022524)   #98
midgetman
Veteran

Moral code often varies with the society you come from. Even in the UK we can look back at practices that were perfectly OK to the morals of the time but seem abhorrent to us now - e.g. cock fighting or slavery. Our "moral compass" was lax enough that we had to use laws to ban these from happening and a jolly good thing that is, I suspect we all agree.

I don't know the ins and outs of Russian society - maybe what Mazepin did is acceptable and he can't understand the fuss. But a globalised society means we do need laws to set boundaries, they show the "way we like things done around here."

"Being a gentleman" means different things to different people. We've seen some repulsive "gentlemen" over the years

Old 13 Dec 2020, 09:00 (Ref:4022529)   #99
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It isn’t schrodinger's assault. It doesn’t change just because it is witnessed.
Best post ever.

Prof Schrödinger gets pulled over at customs. The officer opens his suitcase and says “do you know there’s a dead cat in here?”. Schrödinger replies “well I do now!”.

Geek joke. I love it. YMMV!
Old 13 Dec 2020, 09:20 (Ref:4022531)   #100
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
It seems we didn’t miss your point. A slap is not an appropriate repercussion for groping a woman. It isn’t schrodinger's assault. It doesn’t change just because it is witnessed.
Again you take me literally. There are all kinds of metaphor for a "slap". The posters here are getting all uptight about something that wouldn't have been known of it hadn't been posted on the web. As far as I can tell he hasn't been charged with assault thus he has not broken any laws. It's the old "don't get caught" thing. As to what constitutes gentlemanly conduct, having worked and lived all over the world among polite societies there is very little difference in what it means. So, as I said it is reprehensible, and he deserves a slap whether that be by his parents taking away his privileges or the team sanctioning him. I don't really care if anyone thinks I'm wrong on this but it is interesting watching all the angst.
Closed Thread