Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Sep 2018, 21:37 (Ref:3849273)   #176
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazed at the speed of the Ferrari 1512 in the Glover Trophy.
The car has certainly found speed in recent years and even managed to find nearly 4 seconds between qualifying and racing for its quickest lap!

Phil Keens drive in the Lister from pit lane to victory in the Sussex Trophy was amazing and a great end to the meeting.
You could not have scripted better!
Old 11 Sep 2018, 07:02 (Ref:3849292)   #177
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
if you put an old cortina next to a 'new' one, Stevie Wonder could spot the differences. same for minis, BMW's and Alfas.

and what happened to bumpers, trim, wheels, seats etc. even the colours are all wrong on some of them.
Maybe all it needs is Historic Racing's version of Tom Walkinshaw to turn up to the meeting with a completely standard Cortina, Mini & BMW (whilst racing a probably totally illegal car of a different make himself). That may but the wind up a few people!
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:01 (Ref:3849298)   #178
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Maybe all it needs is Historic Racing's version of Tom Walkinshaw to turn up to the meeting with a completely standard Cortina, Mini & BMW (whilst racing a probably totally illegal car of a different make himself). That may but the wind up a few people!
We all remember TWR (Third World Racing) very cleaver man, I don't know if he was the first to "really" exploit the "grey areas" in the blue books but he was good at it. No doubt it is happening all the time now though
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3849304)   #179
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Yet I have here in front of me at the moment a picture of Jim Clark in Lotus Cortina 167 RUR at Snetterton in 1963 with no front bumpers. Inconsistent scrutineering maybe?

Or, Peter, perhaps it was for a different series with different specs permitted? Or, he was entered in an invitation class in some races. I can remember being invited to make up the numbers for a race or two to join the international races even though my car, or others from the Redex Championship, nowhere nearly complied with the regulations.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:32 (Ref:3849306)   #180
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just coming back to this, did you spot Marcus P telling the world that the Soper Cortina was more nose-down than the others because that's the way he builds them.
Apart from the ride heights of cars (one of the big engine open sports racers looked almost wedge shaped!), one thing that struck me was that none of the Cortinas seemed to be three-wheeling as shown in all the period photos...
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3849310)   #181
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Apart from the ride heights of cars (one of the big engine open sports racers looked almost wedge shaped!), one thing that struck me was that none of the Cortinas seemed to be three-wheeling as shown in all the period photos...
Yes, but I suspect that's more about structures than anything else. Fully welded roll cages will reduce the flex in the chassis. Zef can confirm or clarify that.

Whilst we are at it. Did I hear the commentators say that one of the minis was freshly built by BMW?
Old 11 Sep 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3849312)   #182
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Whilst we are at it. Did I hear the commentators say that one of the minis was freshly built by BMW?
Yes, what was surprising is they made it the same size as the original this time!
Old 11 Sep 2018, 09:15 (Ref:3849319)   #183
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Cars are run too stiff to wave wheels, and it was only really A frame cars that did it anyway. Soper runs an A frame on his. Its personal preference I guess, my car runs a little higher at the back, front stiff, back soft, I think makes it easier to drive, or at least more forgiving in amateur hands! this is one of very few photo's with a little wheel lift . . . nothing trick going on under there. It's probably doing it because there's not enough rebound on my cheap front struts!
Attached Thumbnails
22519_743220022443618_5923024899991992324_n.jpg  
Old 11 Sep 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3849329)   #184
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About bumpers in International races. If you read the period Appendix J - available easily and for free on the FIA Historic database - you will find that it was in the discretion of the organiser to say whether or not bumpers were required and could be so specified in the supplementary regulations. This exemption was only allowed in races and hillclimbs, not rallies.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3849332)   #185
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Lotus Cortina's don't wave wheels because it's not the quick way! Trust me if it was faster they would all do it....
There was on the internet not too long ago a period shot of Jimmy on the grid in a Cortina, door open, talking to Bob Dance.
A day or two later there was similar shot of Steve Soper in his car in a similar pose (not however talking to Bob). The two images shared little.

Last edited by Simon Hadfield; 11 Sep 2018 at 09:57.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3849350)   #186
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Or, Peter, perhaps it was for a different series with different specs permitted? Or, he was entered in an invitation class in some races. I can remember being invited to make up the numbers for a race or two to join the international races even though my car, or others from the Redex Championship, nowhere nearly complied with the regulations.

Could be. The caption says 'Jim Clark, Lotus Cortina Mk 1, 1963 Snetterton BTCC.'
Old 11 Sep 2018, 12:51 (Ref:3849371)   #187
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
BSCC races I think allowed stripping of certain interior parts . . .some of the Willment photos show no dash pad!

most of the International stuff has seats and full interior trim, but some with no bumpers.

All cars had proper windows and door cards.

These are all GT's . . . . Lotus hadn't been invented at that point
Attached Thumbnails
car71_woman_clean.jpg   scan0002.jpg   scan0003.jpg  

Old 11 Sep 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3849376)   #188
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
BSCC races I think allowed stripping of certain interior parts . . .some of the Willment photos show no dash pad!

most of the International stuff has seats and full interior trim, but some with no bumpers.

All cars had proper windows and door cards.

These are all GT's . . . . Lotus hadn't been invented at that point
Great pics. One question about the one on the right: surely the rear innr wheelarches must have been moved to allow the back wheel to travel so high? The sill is almost touching the ground! (Or is this an optical illusion due to a high camera position?)
Old 11 Sep 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3849392)   #189
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a humble spectator I often wonder if there is scope for a separate podium presentation for drivers in competing in cars 'declared as restored / maintained as per period' or words to that effect. Such cars to be formally scrutineered by people with the appropriate knowledge of period cars & relevant appendices.

I know there are big practical holes in that approach and it will never happen - I doubt Goodwood would want to 'show up' the hotrods etc. Can you imagine after the finish and the handing out of the traditional Goodwood cigars to the first three past the post the announcer saying "Ok, thank's for that, now lets talk to the drivers of the first three real cars to take the flag". Extra cigars required of course.

But it would be interesting to see. And not just at Goodwood.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3849395)   #190
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Similar to what happened to the Studebaker.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 15:03 (Ref:3849410)   #191
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, my first time out in the Revival and I had a ball in the Fordwater. Great dice with Nick Pellett's beautiful Frazer Nash until I inexplicably ran out of air in my NSF on lap 10. First puncture / valve failure in 16 years of racing.

Any pictures of the green Aurelia (apparently John Watson's favourite car of the meeting, so I'm told?) welcome, especially if you have the Ferrari sandwich qualifying sequence through the chicane. Can't imagine that ever happening again.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 15:34 (Ref:3849420)   #192
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
There were a lot of punctures this year. Something else that registered with me
Old 11 Sep 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3849440)   #193
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Have enjoyed the coverage so far, what a TT race that was on Sunday. Also good to see modern tin top drivers giving the old cars a good go, shows they can adapt. Anyone know what races they are gonna show tonight on ITV4?
Old 11 Sep 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3849441)   #194
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
.... Anyone know what races they are gonna show tonight on ITV4?
Based on previous such programmes probably a lot of fashion parades with the odd glimpse of racing. 😀
Old 11 Sep 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3849456)   #195
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was pleasantly surprised with last night's broadcast, there was plenty of racing.

BTW, I was coming up the M4 today when I came upon a barn find 3 door Cortina on a trailer. Another genuine ex-Jim Clark car for the conveyor belt?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 11 Sep 2018, 19:59 (Ref:3849466)   #196
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There were a lot of punctures this year. Something else that registered with me
Yes it was all that carbon fibre that fell off when some of the period cars did a bit of "door handling", It happens in F1 all the time
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Sep 2018, 06:58 (Ref:3849539)   #197
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I was pleasantly surprised with last night's broadcast, there was plenty of racing.

BTW, I was coming up the M4 today when I came upon a barn find 3 door Cortina on a trailer. Another genuine ex-Jim Clark car for the conveyor belt?

I'd guess that barn find would be more than likely a styling mock up than a racer. Presumably one door on one side, two on the other?
Old 12 Sep 2018, 07:50 (Ref:3849546)   #198
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Some great coverage of the festival. Was there a race that wasn't covered? Goodwood entertains again
Old 12 Sep 2018, 08:01 (Ref:3849551)   #199
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having watched the ITV programme on the Revival, I realise that you chaps have no idea of the truly important aspects of 'period correct'.
I never saw any glamourous ladies in high heels, flouncy skirts, and silly hats back in the '50's, neither do I recall any U-Boat commanders, bishops, Japanese admirals, US Army personnel, etc wandering around the circuit. The spectators were overwhelming male, and wore dirty macs, wide bottom flannel trousers, sports jackets, and trilby hats in the main. There would have been a distinct lack of colour in the clothing range, brown and grey predominating.

The Revival has virtually nothing in common with motor racing at Goodwood in the 50/60's, so the odd Cortina waving a wheel is of little significance …..

.....................….do get a grip fellows
Old 12 Sep 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3849552)   #200
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'd guess that barn find would be more than likely a styling mock up than a racer. Presumably one door on one side, two on the other?
???? That's gone somewhat over my head, Viva. One too many of those emojis in real life?