Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 May 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3242986)   #101
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Why is that a bad thing? And what is dangerous when it used to be GT1 cars finished sometimes in the top 15 overall. The cars now are a shadow of themselves in almost every category.
The two performance increases that where suggested (increase of power and reduced weight) would make the top GTE's faster than GT1 cars, and at the same time LMP2's are slower than they where in the GT1 cars.

The dangerous part is when a LMP2 has to overtake a GTE car, but the only place where the LMP2 car is superior is through the corners. Therefor the LMP2 can be forced to make a risky overtake, which doesn't always end well.
The, by far, safest place to overtake a slower category is down a straight, therefor there needs to be a clear speed differens.
Old 5 May 2013, 07:49 (Ref:3242990)   #102
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
With the increase in factory teams in GTE the development of those cars will be dramatic whilst LMP2 with limited resources will be slower, the regulations will try to control this but sports car racing usually gives in to the area's that push hardest and these will usually be the well backed factory teams.
Old 5 May 2013, 07:58 (Ref:3242994)   #103
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Terrible crowd today at Spa one of the worst I've seen for any professional series and sports car racing at the circuit despite excellent weather.
It was, better than ast year, i think. Unlike last year, people were everywhere, not just in the "chicane-to-eau-rouge" part of the track.
Old 5 May 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3243009)   #104
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh View Post
It was, better than ast year, i think. Unlike last year, people were everywhere, not just in the "chicane-to-eau-rouge" part of the track.
Official number was 14.000.... that's pretty pityfull. ADAC GT got that much last weekend at Oschersleben.
Old 5 May 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3243047)   #105
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa is an interesting circuit to spectate, but only if you like a good hike.
Old 5 May 2013, 11:32 (Ref:3243048)   #106
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What can that poor number be down to?
Old 5 May 2013, 11:48 (Ref:3243054)   #107
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
With the increase in factory teams in GTE the development of those cars will be dramatic whilst LMP2 with limited resources will be slower, the regulations will try to control this but sports car racing usually gives in to the area's that push hardest and these will usually be the well backed factory teams.
I hope it's not gonna be another GT1 from the 90's. If they do, ACO is gonna have a hard time balancing out between prototypes and GT cars.
Old 5 May 2013, 11:50 (Ref:3243056)   #108
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Might be - in part - a result of the short race weekend... we all know how organizers usually inflate spectator numbers by counting weekend pass holders seperately for each day. So if you have 5.000 weekend pass holders, that adds 15.000 people to your spectator count figure. On a two race weekend it's only 10.000.
Old 5 May 2013, 11:50 (Ref:3243057)   #109
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was on a Saturday and the weekend program was rubbish, just a Porsche cup
Old 5 May 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3243058)   #110
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
It was on a Saturday and the weekend program was rubbish, just a Porsche cup
With 11 cars....

ADAC GT will be at Spa next weekend, the two events really should have linked up.
Old 5 May 2013, 12:06 (Ref:3243063)   #111
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
With 11 cars....

ADAC GT will be at Spa next weekend, the two events really should have linked up.
Agreed, that would have made a great race-weekend instead of two lackluster ones.
Old 5 May 2013, 12:27 (Ref:3243067)   #112
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Agreed, that would have made a great race-weekend instead of two lackluster ones.
Quote:
With 11 cars....

But there are 2 different promoters with not very good relations, ACO and SRO.

We complain that many races are now in far circuits without heritage, but I dissapointing when a great race comes to one of the world´s best tracks then the European public dosen´t support it. And this time we cannot blame the Ardennes weather.
Old 5 May 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3243069)   #113
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ADAC GT is not SRO, is it?
Old 5 May 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3243070)   #114
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
ADAC GT is not SRO, is it?
Wiki might not be the most trustworthy source, but it says that SRO have created the series and ADAC are supporting and running it.
Old 5 May 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3243072)   #115
Speed-King
Veteran

IIRC ADAC have completely taken over by now with Jürgen Barth and SRO Germany being gone from the series since last year.
Old 5 May 2013, 14:23 (Ref:3243100)   #116
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently there's a good chance the WEC won't be back at Spa next year, so I hope the few spectators that did show up enjoyed it.
Old 5 May 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3243133)   #117
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Apparently there's a good chance the WEC won't be back at Spa next year, so I hope the few spectators that did show up enjoyed it.
Hope that will not happen
Old 5 May 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3243161)   #118
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Official number was 14.000.... that's pretty pityfull. ADAC GT got that much last weekend at Oschersleben.
Honestly surprised by that figure - it felt like considerably more than that.

We walked the full circuit and the only part that could be described as quiet was the far end towards Fagnes/Stavelot. Okay I suppose it's possible that it was just the same bunch of people walking around with me, but I'd be very surprised.

The level to which Toyota were investing was notable too - they had a full section in the grandstand opposite the old pits and appeared to be using the hospitality suite above the old pits extensively too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz
Spa is an interesting circuit to spectate, but only if you like a good hike.
Partially agree with that - yes it's best if you want to put the time and effort into walking the track, but there are viewpoints where you can get a lot of visibility of different parts of the track, and the signature start-Eau Rouge stretch, which never ceases to be spectacular, is essentially right by the entrances where most people come in. It's not perfect - they could do with a little more signposting, the car parking this year was only so-so (I ended up in car park 3, which I got free with the tickets) which involved a lot of clambering through forest to reach the track - and next time round (until I hear something credible I'm not going to give credence to the notion that they're giving up on Spa) I'll probably drop the 5 Euros to park in a field instead, but it's still for me the finest circuit to see sportscars do what they do best.
Old 5 May 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3243162)   #119
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
It does seem to be the way, though, that the FIA have let Bernie get away with such nonsense forever in F1, now it seems that the ACO want to join in on the pleading poverty/gouging money out of people scheme.
Old 5 May 2013, 18:21 (Ref:3243163)   #120
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
I've just paid 54 euros for entrance tickets to Le Mans, and 82 euros per campsite ticket. I find these prices very reasonable. 100 euros for an entrance ticket and +/- 120-130 for campsite will be my 'screw you guys I'm staying home' point I guess.
I feared the involvement with the FIA would cause trouble, and I hate to be right in this case....
Old 5 May 2013, 18:28 (Ref:3243168)   #121
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
With 11 cars....

And they could have split the bill between the two of them...
Old 5 May 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3243172)   #122
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
And they could have split the bill between the two of them...
If we're seriously saying that a 68,000 Euro circuit rental fee is going to make or break an event then having it to 34,000 probably isn't going to make that much difference...

Are we perhaps putting a lot into the story from Autonews Info (link)?

The race has been on a Saturday for the last few years, and while yes, you've got to compete with grocery shopping in the way you don't have to on a Sunday in Belgium this doesn't ring particularly true to me. As someone who's worked in marketing citing this sort of environment excuse is something that can get you fired very quickly indeed.

As for the lack of support races, last year we had Radicals and Speed Euroseries - can we all be honest and put our hands up about how excited we all are about those?
Old 5 May 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3243179)   #123
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
If we're seriously saying that a 68,000 Euro circuit rental fee is going to make or break an event then having it to 34,000 probably isn't going to make that much difference...
Crikey, is that what they are asking? That is the sort of money that ruins a club event, but not WEC event surely? Am I missing something?
Old 5 May 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3243182)   #124
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it's all true it sounds like the WEC are looking for a reason to get out to be honest. A more lucrative offer elsewhere I imagine.
Old 5 May 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3243185)   #125
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
If it's all true it sounds like the WEC are looking for a reason to get out to be honest. A more lucrative offer elsewhere I imagine.
And if it means we have the ELMS at Spa in May instead I suspect my May travel plans will be pretty much identical to this year.