Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jun 2018, 19:18 (Ref:3826078)   #1276
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
In our local village. Hope the hood is double duck.
Is that an Elise, Colin?
Old 1 Jun 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3826083)   #1277
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Is that an Elise, Colin?

I rather think it was.
Old 1 Jun 2018, 21:22 (Ref:3826113)   #1278
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Is that an Elise, Colin?
Ex-Elise now, sadly. Not the first time that house has been submerged. The neighbours had about 5 tonnes of flint in their drive as well as the water. Some of the local roads have disappeared altogether, together with all the newly filled potholes!
Old 2 Jun 2018, 08:56 (Ref:3826170)   #1279
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ex-Elise now, sadly. Not the first time that house has been submerged. The neighbours had about 5 tonnes of flint in their drive as well as the water. Some of the local roads have disappeared altogether, together with all the newly filled potholes!
Crumbs, Colin, whereabouts in Somalia do you live?
Old 2 Jun 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3826203)   #1280
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Colin I got trapped in the flooding fiasco on Tuesday, I had to go to Canterbury to pick up a sofa and it took me 7hrs to get home via Frittenden and Headcorn. I got stuck on the M2 for ages and then found that the Detling turnoff was flooded. I do that route frequently and it normally takes me 1hr from my house I saw a lot of damage to peoples properties and have not seen rain like that since the floods that affected our village in 1968.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Jun 2018, 21:19 (Ref:3826312)   #1281
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luckily we're high on the Downs so flooding not normally an issue although a mystery puddle in the middle of the kitchen meant the dog was prime suspect until we traced it to a small gap round a window frame. The rain somehow contrived to squirt about 4ft from the window onto the floor hardly touching anything else. On the Tuesday it all happened we had done a circuit via Faversham and Canterbury without encountering a drop of rain but on our return roads were washed out, cesspits overflowing into lanes (had to thoroughly pressure wash the car's nether regions) homes were underwater, unbelievable. A neighbour had cycled to Sissinghurst and rode back home through the worst of it, dodging the thunderbolts. Sodding Brexit, I said this would happen.
Old 2 Jun 2018, 22:08 (Ref:3826320)   #1282
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Luckily we're high on the Downs so flooding not normally an issue although a mystery puddle in the middle of the kitchen meant the dog was prime suspect until we traced it to a small gap round a window frame. The rain somehow contrived to squirt about 4ft from the window onto the floor hardly touching anything else.
So what you're actually saying is "The dog dunnit"
Old 3 Jun 2018, 05:13 (Ref:3826338)   #1283
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Sodding Brexit, I said this would happen.
Oh so true, at so many levels......
Old 3 Jun 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3826581)   #1284
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Jean des Hauts de France I guess you have a close relationship with your french neighbors. I just had a talk with an ex neighbor in Brittany, he told me many Britts have bought houses in this area which I know. But I was surprised when he told me that may bring with painting, coatings, carpets and all the needed stuff to live and maintain their houses. Is it that cheaper in GB?
Old 3 Jun 2018, 20:35 (Ref:3826620)   #1285
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Gerard, when I ran my trucking business we did a lot of work for ex-pats living in France who would order all their building supplies from the UK. Oddly, plaster (presumably not 'of Paris') was the one commodity that was most in demand.
Old 3 Jun 2018, 22:42 (Ref:3826651)   #1286
IanBankhurst
Rookie

England
Oakham
IanBankhurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have any real world experience of bringatrailer.com?
I just tried to register to bid, and the need to put up credit card details made me a little nervous!
Old 4 Jun 2018, 04:54 (Ref:3826673)   #1287
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBankhurst View Post
Does anyone have any real world experience of bringatrailer.com?
I just tried to register to bid, and the need to put up credit card details made me a little nervous!
Never used it Ian, but it does seem a well established auction site. My understanding is that credit card info is required so that BaT can take their buyers fee direct?
Old 4 Jun 2018, 06:10 (Ref:3826677)   #1288
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Colin! I could not imagine a big difference in prices and quality, not mentioning money rate. I use to work for Tollens group in France but should confess never took care of this kind of thing!
Old 4 Jun 2018, 08:12 (Ref:3826690)   #1289
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On another forum someone was whingeing about BaT, and many people leapt to its defence. I guess that's a pretty good review, the fact that the internet isn't moaning about it!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 4 Jun 2018, 08:38 (Ref:3826693)   #1290
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Jean des Hauts de France I guess you have a close relationship with your french neighbors. I just had a talk with an ex neighbor in Brittany, he told me many Britts have bought houses in this area which I know. But I was surprised when he told me that may bring with painting, coatings, carpets and all the needed stuff to live and maintain their houses. Is it that cheaper in GB?
Bonjour Gerard,

Paint is very expensive in France compared with UK, but I think Belgium is even more expensive than France, but then Belgium is generally expensive for everything - it's even 70 centimes to pee now!! So yes, it is generally better to buy paint etc in GB, especially if you live close to the Channel. You have to be a bit careful how much you bring though: I know someone who brought quite a lot in a van & when checked at Dover was warned he should have registered it as a hazardous load, or whatever.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3826694)   #1291
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Gerard, when I ran my trucking business we did a lot of work for ex-pats living in France who would order all their building supplies from the UK. Oddly, plaster (presumably not 'of Paris') was the one commodity that was most in demand.
Plastering as we know it is virtually unknown in France, as plasterboard is the norm. You will search in vain for a plasterer.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3826709)   #1292
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You have to pay for a weewee in Belgium but they offer clean places… hence the joke they make: in Belgium they say toilet and in France we say toiletS because you have to visit several to find a decent one!
Many building repair supplies are hazardous, even what we call "peinture Ã* l'eau" meaning water is the solvent.
The very much appreciated in historic racing CVL products can't be safely brought back now. Those were the days!
Old 4 Jun 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3826713)   #1293
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You have to pay for a weewee in Belgium but they offer clean places… hence the joke they make: in Belgium they say toilet and in France we say toiletS because you have to visit several to find a decent one!
Many building repair supplies are hazardous, even what we call "peinture Ã* l'eau" meaning water is the solvent.
The very much appreciated in historic racing CVL products can't be safely brought back now. Those were the days!

Water is deadly.

Considering the number of times it is identified as a cause of death and how many ways it can kill, I'm surprised it has not been banned yet.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3826718)   #1294
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Water is deadly.

Considering the number of times it is identified as a cause of death and how many ways it can kill, I'm surprised it has not been banned yet.

I don't know about deadly but water has certainly been a danger to life (as they like to say nowadays) around here lately, the volume of it that has fallen from the skies in a very short space of time - see Mike's picture of the Spa tunnel. We've certainly experienced some very strange weather with very very heavy, but very localised, storms popping up all over the place.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3826729)   #1295
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
On a more cheery note, Tim Falce tipped me off that a classic car rally was passing through my village in the UK, so I popped down and made a quick video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9xsnZohTo&t=15s
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Jun 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3826730)   #1296
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
On a more cheery note, Tim Falce tipped me off that a classic car rally was passing through my village in the UK, so I popped down and made a quick video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9xsnZohTo&t=15s
Nicely made video Gordon, as we have come to expect!

That looks like a pretty large event with a great selection of classics.

I assume the 2 soft top Mk1 Cortinas have, in some way, a local connection to Crayford or similar.

I don't think I've ever seen one around here. Mk2s once in a while, but not Mk1s.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 13:56 (Ref:3826743)   #1297
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great video Gordon. Thanks for sharing.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3826753)   #1298
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Water is deadly.

When in Britany I could see a nice classic which looked like an MG TC with two gentlemen on board, but slightly different. Could it be an HRG? No visible spare wheel at rear though.
Old 4 Jun 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3826794)   #1299
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

When in Britany I could see a nice classic which looked like an MG TC with two gentlemen on board, but slightly different. Could it be an HRG? No visible spare wheel at rear though.

A genuine classic or a kit car replica?
Old 4 Jun 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3826827)   #1300
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Well Gerard, they would be different unless they were twins.