Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 21 Feb 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3802987)   #1
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Coventry Speedway Stadium - Battle to Save

There is currently a Planning Application to build 147 houses on the Stadium. There is a Facebook Group battling to save the Stadium, with 4000 members so far.

The planning application is open to public comments till 1st of March.

The Facebook Group are encouraging as many people as possible country wide to object to the planning proposal.

The planning application can be viewed via the planning portal on the Rugby Borough Council Website.

Comments can be left via the Portal or the case officer can be emailed at Erica.Buchanan@rugby.gov.uk

By post to Erica Buchanan, Rugby Borough Council, Town Hall, Evreux Way, Rugby CV21 2RR
Old 21 Feb 2018, 20:22 (Ref:3803007)   #2
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brandon Stadium was one of my early introductions to 4-wheeled motorsport. From around 1968/9 onwards a monthly visit to see the BRISCA stock cars was a young boy's treat!

I remember the venue was managed by Charles Ochiltree and regular winners were Rochdale's Stuart Smith (391); Rotherham's Willie Harrison (2) and local hero Mick Noden (306).

It'll be a shame if it goes.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 23:51 (Ref:3803049)   #3
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
Brandon Stadium was one of my early introductions to 4-wheeled motorsport. From around 1968/9 onwards a monthly visit to see the BRISCA stock cars was a young boy's treat!

I remember the venue was managed by Charles Ochiltree and regular winners were Rochdale's Stuart Smith (391); Rotherham's Willie Harrison (2) and local hero Mick Noden (306).

It'll be a shame if it goes.
I'm not local to the stadium, so I can only see the state it is in right now, from photos of others. I think Rugby Borough Council need to know that a Stadium such as this, gets the name of Coventry out into sporting communities. Something 147 dwelling won't. The planning portal is easy to log into, so even a few words such as above, in their comments section would show the venue was loved and that it has had an important role. My 2nd most local track Wimbledon was lost last March, and this winter I have really missed not going there. So I wish those trying to save Coventry well. I have no idea what chance they have, but I do know the moment planning permission is granted for those dwellings, they have most likely lost, though I hope as with those in the Save Wimbledon Campaign, they fight to the bitter end. So to anyone reading this thread, please find a few minutes to go to the Rugby Borough Council Planning Portal, and let them know motorsport and retaining its venues is important.