Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Apr 2015, 22:04 (Ref:3525207)   #51
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Further piccies of both Cortina's.

The end of two unfortunate classic cars
Old 9 Apr 2015, 00:58 (Ref:3525236)   #52
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
My son, Dan Wray, was the unfortunate one that rolled in practice ....
Glad Dan's OK. Good points about the safety systems.

I assume you now have a firm favourite for next winter's project?
Old 9 Apr 2015, 01:42 (Ref:3525247)   #53
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After looking at Chigley's pics .....

I have a sequence of shots of number 47 having some problems at Copse during the 2013 Silverstone Finals meeting which resulted in completely flattening the back end as it hit the armco on the inside. This looks "a bit more severe" for both LC's but I guess anything is possible in repair work if there is a will to do it.

Might take a bit of T-cut though ...

I can understand why the Amended grid for the second race indicated that 47 had been withdrawn.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 06:41 (Ref:3525293)   #54
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If anyone is interested after they have seen the aftermath of the crash and what caused it, I have an unused fully floating rear hub kit (less half shafts) in the workshop for the Ford axle that I will let go.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Apr 2015, 11:53 (Ref:3525354)   #55
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not allowed in App K unfortunately Gordon.
Old 9 Apr 2015, 12:00 (Ref:3525357)   #56
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Glad Dan's OK. Good points about the safety systems.

I assume you now have a firm favourite for next winter's project?
Thanks for the message re Dan - a parents worst nightmare.
I think it might be this summer's project as I've been offered two replacement shells already. Also two people have suggested the body could be straightened but I personally doubt that. I must admit on the journey home I had a flight of fancy of contacting Churchill (do they still exist?) and offering them the shell to straighten in return for free publicity!
Old 9 Apr 2015, 12:40 (Ref:3525364)   #57
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the update on Dan, scary incident, glad to hear he's ok. It seemed like he was having a lot of fun out there in the morning!

Such a sorry state after. Was saying to people the cage and HANS were so vital here. Again glad he's ok :-)
Old 9 Apr 2015, 13:20 (Ref:3525376)   #58
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Not allowed in App K unfortunately Gordon.
Yes it is a pity as you can fit discs or drum brakes to it.
Of all the years racing I have been lucky and the only halfshafts that I have had break have been next to the diff although I have seen several on other cars loose wheels.
I suppose the Tina being heavier with more grunt might be something to do with it and of course 40-50 year old halfshafts !
I was lucky that I had a relative in the aircraft industry that used to X ray and crack test spare shafts for me.
Some cars are more prone to this happening like the Tornado Talisman that Joe was driving at Goodwood last year and blow me exactly the same thing happened to another one this year at the 73 meeting to someone else, I know they use Triumph Herald shafts in those so they must be a weak spot.
Very unnerving and it would be enough to put people off racing in future if it happens to them !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Apr 2015, 18:18 (Ref:3525465)   #59
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple of random sets, first from Saturday:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0657.jpg   IMG_0711.jpg   IMG_0888.jpg  

IMG_1046.jpg   IMG_1102.jpg   IMG_1170.jpg  

Old 9 Apr 2015, 18:20 (Ref:3525467)   #60
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry for the background but it appears the locals are building a bronze age hill fort.

Sunday:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1448.jpg   IMG_1871.jpg   IMG_1912.jpg  

IMG_2049.jpg   IMG_2266.jpg   IMG_2457.jpg  

Old 9 Apr 2015, 18:55 (Ref:3525480)   #61
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And no caption competitions as a result of the cropping of image 13 of Brands' sets.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 09:05 (Ref:3525674)   #62
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Glad to hear Dans ok Peter.

THe Triumph shafts are indeed frail, I've been drawing up new ones to get made, and am just detailing now.

Heavy Duty Cortina driveshafts have already been made, I sold quite a few sets a few years ago, other people have also bought/sold them, they come from the US. personally I still have std GT ones ( Lotus without bits machined off) and they've been thus far reliable.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 11:26 (Ref:3525719)   #63
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It was a special 'modern' Morgan shaft that snapped on me, so new uprated stuff isn't always better. MGBs with bolt-on wheels seem to be able to snap uprated ones as well, but because the hubs are different, the wire wheel cars don't suffer same fate! Small price to pay for the extra wheel weight.......
Old 10 Apr 2015, 12:05 (Ref:3525729)   #64
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
It was a special 'modern' Morgan shaft that snapped on me, so new uprated stuff isn't always better.
Agreed Mike, an old "work hardened" shaft that has been used on a road car for 40 years can go on and on as long as it hasn't had a serious clout in a crash, either years ago or later on the track.
It is difficult to tell just by looking at a halfshaft if it's going to be ok and any with even a slight bent flange should be scrapped, as I said I was lucky to have access to state of the art testing on the ones that I used.
Obviously the type that actually hold the wheel on are a lot more important than the ones that simply fit inside a decent separate hub.
Incidentally they should (if possible) always be used on the same side of the car as they do "wind up" and will fracture easier if reversed especially when used for racing with treble or more HP and cornering ability !
Old 12 Apr 2015, 19:17 (Ref:3526742)   #65
Cookie2000
Rookie

England
England
Cookie2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
And no caption competitions as a result of the cropping of image 13 of Brands' sets.
I made my comment on the day Ian!!