Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Jun 2020, 12:40 (Ref:3980133)   #551
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Porsche has pulled the plug on its gtlm program. Not sure where this leaves the future of the class.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/0...programme.html
Oh wow...its happened. That's stinks big time. Yeah I guess moving to GTD pro and GTD Am is possible with the C8R and M8 being grandfathered and BoP'd in if they stick around.

I also wonder if it is possible to take GT4 and make it a GT4+, such as bigger rear wings, more horsepower. They lap Daytona at 1 min 54 roughly. Perhaps they can get them boosted so that they could run 1:49 perhaps.

Last edited by MaskedRacer; 4 Jun 2020 at 12:46.
Old 4 Jun 2020, 13:38 (Ref:3980144)   #552
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Yeah I feel like GTD Pro and Am makes the most sense from my armchair.

BMW would use the M4 GT3 instead of grandfathering the M8. Until the M4 comes out, they have the M6 GT3 car. It would be easier to continue bop'ing the M6 rather than adapt the M8 to GT3 rules.

The big wrench is what Corvette does if they stand by their stated commitment to Le Mans. Race GTE in WEC? Any conversion to GTD, then run GTD all year long then whip out the GTE for Le Mans?

Or will IMSA work like mad to get more GTLM entrants and keep the class alive? Or do nothing and provide the single team playground class for Corvette?
Old 4 Jun 2020, 14:15 (Ref:3980152)   #553
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I think we are witnessing the death of the GTLM/GTE classes.

The future is customer/privateer racing with factory support at major races.
Old 4 Jun 2020, 14:27 (Ref:3980156)   #554
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post

I also wonder if it is possible to take GT4 and make it a GT4+, such as bigger rear wings, more horsepower. They lap Daytona at 1 min 54 roughly. Perhaps they can get them boosted so that they could run 1:49 perhaps.
5 seconds a lap is probably asking a lot. Maybe not so much for the Macca or the Audi, but definitely for the more touringcar-ish cars like the BMW.
Old 4 Jun 2020, 15:01 (Ref:3980165)   #555
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
IMSA needs a GT pro class (no bronze drivers), and a GT am class (with one bronze driver).
Old 4 Jun 2020, 15:07 (Ref:3980167)   #556
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, poop. I wish I could say something positive...excuse me; uplifting.
Old 4 Jun 2020, 15:28 (Ref:3980177)   #557
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
IMSA needs a GT pro class (no bronze drivers), and a GT am class (with one bronze driver).
If so, then I would hope "GTD Pro" would be open tire. Carry over the tire rules from GTLM for sure.
Old 4 Jun 2020, 15:38 (Ref:3980181)   #558
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Well, poop. I wish I could say something positive...excuse me; uplifting.
Yeah to see a major GTLM team leave really really stinks. Dodge, Falken, Ford, and now Porsche...all have been huge blows to the series. Never any silver lining to a GTLM leaving its 100% bad. Maybe CORE can get a GTD private team going. Just like they had in 2017.
Old 4 Jun 2020, 15:45 (Ref:3980183)   #559
JoeF
Rookie

JoeF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read on Autosport quoting Nick Tandy "It's the worst day of my motorsport career" That quote is very alarming to me.
Old 4 Jun 2020, 18:20 (Ref:3980206)   #560
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeF View Post
Just read on Autosport quoting Nick Tandy "It's the worst day of my motorsport career" That quote is very alarming to me.
I would hope Tandy does not necessarily need to worry about his job, but I would think more so some of the younger developing drivers would have to unless Porsche plans to support several full pro teams in ADAC GTM and GTWC. 2021 could be a great year for Porsche in GT3 racing anyway.
Old 4 Jun 2020, 23:00 (Ref:3980241)   #561
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2Motorsport View Post
I would hope Tandy does not necessarily need to worry about his job, but I would think more so some of the younger developing drivers would have to unless Porsche plans to support several full pro teams in ADAC GTM and GTWC. 2021 could be a great year for Porsche in GT3 racing anyway.

2021 is not going to be a great or even a good year for racing. The decisions about 2021 racing budgets are going to be made in the next few months. Covid-19 won't under control by then. It may well not be under control early in 2021. Significant travel restrictions may still be in effect.

The world will at best be coming out a recession in 2021 with unemployment will still be at elevated levels. Some percentage of am racers won't have the money to go racing. Others may be turned off by travel restrictions or social distancing restrictions. Factory dollars will be scarcer. Grids will shrink. It's just going to be bad… the only question is how bad.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 01:58 (Ref:3980254)   #562
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
2021 is not going to be a great or even a good year for racing. The decisions about 2021 racing budgets are going to be made in the next few months. Covid-19 won't under control by then. It may well not be under control early in 2021. Significant travel restrictions may still be in effect.

The world will at best be coming out a recession in 2021 with unemployment will still be at elevated levels. Some percentage of am racers won't have the money to go racing. Others may be turned off by travel restrictions or social distancing restrictions. Factory dollars will be scarcer. Grids will shrink. It's just going to be bad… the only question is how bad.

ALMS in 2009-20111 was all privateer teams except for Corvette. Of course LMPC (oreca flms) and GTC (Porsche cups) was brought in as spec classes to help boost grid sizes. I wonder if IMSA Weathertech series might consider doing this somehow at least in some aspects Maybe GT4/Grand Sport would be a good inclusion for the 2021 Lime Rock/VIR all GT races perhaps. At this time I would favor in 2021. DPI, LMP2 (partial 6-7 races), GTD Pro (with any existing GTLM cars grandfathered and BoP'd in) , GTD Am (bronze only). Potential inclusion of GS in all GT races.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 02:05 (Ref:3980256)   #563
MaskedRacer
Veteran

I like the potential of GTD pro idea. I do think the current tire rules in GTLM can carry over. If there was a GTD pro who amongst current teams could potentially be in it with at least 1 car? I would say possibly:

1. Corvette (grandfathered and BoP'd in with C8)
2. R.L.L. BMW (M8 or perhaps the M6 even for 2021)
3. Shank Acura
4. GEAR Lambo or Ferrari
5. AIM Lexus
6. PMR Lambo
7. CORE Porsche (private run with GTLM drivers)
8. Risi
9. Grasser Lambo

Maybe it could draw in KPAX Bentley or Flying Lizard back too maybe. WRT Audi, Aston Martin Racing US? So there is potential. I would in a sad way help if GT World Challenge America disappears. Might need some consolidation at this stage.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 13:34 (Ref:3980326)   #564
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
For some reason I don't see GS getting bumped up to the big show GT races. I almost wonder if P3 would be added should the 2021 grid shrink small enough. Kinda throws out the GT only aspect of the event, but idk. Doesn't feel like a direction that will happen. It could, but it doesn't feel likely.

I also don't foresee the confidential GTLM tires making it to a GT3-Pro class. Not saying it can't be done, but those tires are currently optimized for the current GTLM cars and loads. GT3 already has a suitable compound selection. It's not as easy as taking the current confidential tire and sticking it on any wheel that fits. Additionally the name of the game over the next 18-24 months is going to be major cost cutting. I fear chassis specific GT tires may soon be another causality.

Anything is possible, you could run TCR with DPi tires on track at the same time as DPi with TCR tires. Doesn't mean it's truly feasible in a real world race weekend. Having said that, out of the box thinking has been known to generate some good ideas.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 14:42 (Ref:3980343)   #565
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
As does WEC. No reason those can’t be GT3 classes though, is there?
Old 5 Jun 2020, 16:35 (Ref:3980359)   #566
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
No reason to assume they'll have cars if they're GT3 classes either.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 16:57 (Ref:3980365)   #567
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
No reason to assume they'll have cars if they're GT3 classes either.
I'm sure I'm being dense but I don't understand what you mean by this.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 18:14 (Ref:3980375)   #568
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
As does WEC. No reason those can’t be GT3 classes though, is there?
No reason I can see. And if gtlm manufacturers are pulling support, gt3 is the only currently available option.

I've wondered what a gt3 car could do with a brake upgrade too. They can be quick in a straight line, so giving them some carbon brakes seems like an easy enough upgrade.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 22:33 (Ref:3980394)   #569
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From a few drivers who have commented here and been interviewed, GS/GT4 can NOT run on track with GTLM and GTD. It happens but not going to happen here with tires and team setup. It's a non-starter, not outside the box, it's just not on anyone's radar as a possibility.

Supposedly the new C8 can be converted to GT3 "condition.". I don't know if they can get it homologated with the Callaway car in class. It's a different chassis but can you have both homologated at the same time? More of a future concern about conversion and class structure.

BMW doesn't really have a reason to continue with the M8, with M4 GT3 coming on.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 22:51 (Ref:3980397)   #570
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
From a few drivers who have commented here and been interviewed, GS/GT4 can NOT run on track with GTLM and GTD. It happens but not going to happen here with tires and team setup. It's a non-starter, not outside the box, it's just not on anyone's radar as a possibility.

Supposedly the new C8 can be converted to GT3 "condition.". I don't know if they can get it homologated with the Callaway car in class. It's a different chassis but can you have both homologated at the same time? More of a future concern about conversion and class structure.

BMW doesn't really have a reason to continue with the M8, with M4 GT3 coming on.

C8R just needs to be slowed down... recall in 2012-2014 int. gt-open there were modified C6R GT1 and GTE, some 458 and 911 GTE and a lot of GT3 in the same performance window... it's just a bop matter at the end.
Get C8R to >1300kg + the same michelin compound used by GTD and 85% of the problem is solved. Maybe would be just required a gt3-like diffuser.

It's extremely unlikely GM would drop P&M to callaway.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 01:11 (Ref:3980408)   #571
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post

If that is the case then we got to get more GT3 cars to enter then eh? I think that GTD-Pro could appeal to some traditional ICGT or GT WC Europe teams? Especially if IMSA adds another all GT race in addition to Lime Rock and VIR. That could appeal to teams like KPAX or WRT cause more overall win chances would be there. And maybe when survival is at stake they need to drive a knife in the hear of SRO GT America and take all of the remaining teams there. I can't imagine sprint cup in IMSA is anymore costly than GT WC America right now. Perhaps they can do something to make sprint cup more appealing to them.

Don't want the series to use LMP3 at all. If in 2021 grids at endurance races are 35-40 cars, 25-30 at sprint cup races, and 16-20 at all GT races, then they will be fine to get to 2022 when LMDH starts. The series does not have to thrive from now until then. Just survive.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 05:07 (Ref:3980422)   #572
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't see that happening until IMSA drops the manufacturer entry fee, or at least reduces it significantly.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 07:22 (Ref:3980432)   #573
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If that is the case then we got to get more GT3 cars to enter then eh? I think that GTD-Pro could appeal to some traditional ICGT or GT WC Europe teams?
With a juggernaut like Corvette Racing in there, I doubt that many - if any - privateer outfits that don't have significant works backing would be willing to take on GT3-Pro for more than a year or two at most.

Just like GTLM today, GT3-Pro needs to be either all works teams or all privateers - mixing the two will - in the long run - not result in healthy grids.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 07:37 (Ref:3980435)   #574
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
With a juggernaut like Corvette Racing in there, I doubt that many - if any - privateer outfits that don't have significant works backing would be willing to take on GT3-Pro for more than a year or two at most.

Just like GTLM today, GT3-Pro needs to be either all works teams or all privateers - mixing the two will - in the long run - not result in healthy grids.
Not sure about that anymore. The aura of invincibility with the Chevy Corvettes is long gone. They have not won in over 2 years now.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 14:49 (Ref:3980499)   #575
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Interesting stuff from the Marshall/Graham TWISC.

1. They think Porsche withdraw is the start and it gives others the green light to get out and if you are going to get out do it now while you have the Porsche departure covering you. Bentley ICGT withdraw maybe have the first to follow up.

2. They think IMSA will NOT go the GTD Pro/Am route

3. They think Acura and Mazda will stick around. Cadillac they are less certain about. (my opinion: they got a good point about Caddy. GM might feel the pinch to fund two programs. I am happy that they consider Corvette as equal of importance to NASCAR in fact. Not sure how much $$ they put into support the current 4 cars that run.)

4. During these times of manufacturer participation decline. Series has to make sure that the privateer efforts are taking care of and not screwed over like the WEC P1 teams in 2018-2019 season.

5. CORE's financial shape after their DPI 2019 season was worse than previously thought. It really broke the team to where they had to end it entirely rather than scale back to another class like P2 or GTD.