Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 19 Apr 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2444532)   #1
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keeping Hydrated

Hey guys, Ive only just started with karts and after my first time out found areas I need to work on to pursue more seriously.

Strength and Stamina is easy enough, but one thing I did find myself getting dehydrated and then nauseous rather quickly. Has anyone else had this problem? I think having some fluid to drink whilst going on would solve both these problems (though if you have any better ideas I'm all ears ), so I was wondering if anyone knew of any good drinks systems to recommend?

I've looked at places like demons tweeks so far but the ones I can find seem to attach to a harness or something so I don't think they'd be particularly useful in the kart. So yeah, forgive me being a newb but suggestions appreciated!
Old 20 Apr 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2445379)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds like uneeded weight to me....
Old 21 Apr 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2446412)   #3
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What type of karts are you driving and how long are you in the kart each drive before feeling rough?

Also how much regular exercise do you get away from the kart track?
Old 21 Apr 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2446603)   #4
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Simpson View Post
What type of karts are you driving and how long are you in the kart each drive before feeling rough?

Also how much regular exercise do you get away from the kart track?
Much more than I was getting before I discovered this issue! So maybe it'll sort itself out in a bit of time XD

As for the karts, they're TKM Extreme class and the arms give out pretty quickly so am building them up, the rest of the trouble kicks in after about 15-20 minutes.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 06:15 (Ref:2447553)   #5
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I really hate to sound like some kind of macho pr*ck, but sounds like you just need to 'Man-up' a bit.

Are you racing endurance? Most sprints dont last more than 15mins. At my last Club100 meeting, by winning the C Final, i moved up to the B final. Thus i did 2 15min races back to back. I was definatley struggling towards the end of the B final, however my laptimes were still quite good... (Probably from the weight shedded through sweating...)

So yeah, forget about fancy onboard drinks machine and work on your overall fitness a bit. But dont just do weights to work on your arms, make sure the majority is cardio-vascular work to improve overall fitness and stamina. Swimming and Rowing are great for this.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2447735)   #6
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
So yeah, forget about fancy onboard drinks machine and work on your overall fitness a bit. But dont just do weights to work on your arms, make sure the majority is cardio-vascular work to improve overall fitness and stamina. Swimming and Rowing are great for this.
Yeah, OK. Thanks for that it's good advice. I think I was probably thinking about a quick-fix and not really thinking it through in the long term, so I'll save my money and spend it on a pool membership instead, thanks

Quote:
I really hate to sound like some kind of macho pr*ck
Feel free, I know ya mean well!

And I do plan on doing a few endurance races, but just open events, nothing serious. Sprints are the ones I'm gonna be doing seriously.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 18:00 (Ref:2448031)   #7
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wait till it gets to the summer then Racing for 15mins in a kart suit isn't fun. Main thing is get fluids down you constantly, i must drink at least 1 1/2 litres of pop (orange juice/apple and black currant) as soon as i come in. Good idea to have a drink before you go out, even if you are desperate for the loo when you get back in.

Also remember to eat, even if you get pretty nervous on race day and don't feel hungry, its better to eat than not as you'll feel wrecked on the drive home after all the adrenaline has gone.

To get stamina up, i used to practice at PFi on saturdays, and they ran 40min sessions for Jnrs and Snrs and i used to run a full tank off before coming in, then do the same the next session and certainly helps. F1 drivers train for hours a day to do a 1 1/2 hour race on a sunday, so it makes sense we train for a lot more than just the usual 15min sprint race.