Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Mar 2020, 11:16 (Ref:3966711)   #201
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Glad to hear it (on all counts).
Old 25 Mar 2020, 13:00 (Ref:3966750)   #202
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been musing to myself that club Motorsport is most likely to fire up first. It takes less organisation than say a GP or the Silverstone Classic.

As soon as the tracks open I know my team of karters will be out there testing. From there it's a small hop to organised racing, either inside or outside of the auspices of MSUK.

But getting big grids and huge numbers of people into the major circuits will take much more arranging. I can't see the festivals being run this year. If the tracks are opened for say October there will be other calls on e.g. emergency services, temporary grandstands, catering outlets from activities that haven't cancelled.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 25 Mar 2020, 14:01 (Ref:3966768)   #203
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I can't see the festivals being run this year. If the tracks are opened for say October there will be other calls on e.g. emergency services, temporary grandstands, catering outlets from activities that haven't cancelled.
^This^

In a military context, there is the concept of having forces @readiness.
When held at higher levels of readiness, there is an attrition rate that also rises.
Bringing more forces up to an @readiness state (force generation) takes time and resources, and becomes increasingly difficult as the operational tempo rises.

If we look at all of the agencies that are involved in dealing with the current situation, they are at the equivalent an extremely high operational tempo.
Their ability to force generate is becoming increasingly depleted. Being unable to force generate quick enough is the risk that plans are designed to mitigate.

When the situation is resolved, there needs to be a period of recovery and recuperation before the services can return to a normal footing - let alone force generate to support other activities.

Consider the ambulance service - after months of dealing with this situation, do we expect them to immediately give up their leave and weekends to support other activities?
Old 26 Mar 2020, 00:41 (Ref:3966857)   #204
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just to add to the complications, my mother in law passed away today (97) and now we have to visit registrars, funeral parlours etc.
I'm sorry to hear that. My best wishes to you and your family.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 15:51 (Ref:3966990)   #205
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes sorry to hear that Pete
Old 26 Mar 2020, 16:04 (Ref:3967003)   #206
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We expected it but its not nice so thanks folks. Just difficult to organise the funeral with the lock down.
Old 31 Mar 2020, 16:33 (Ref:3967856)   #207
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Our national race at Dijon 8/10 May is now postponed to 14/ 16 August. Very different from the Dijon Motors Cup!. I wonder how to cope with a date in the middle of August but given the circumstances can't find it to be a priority. May be later.
Old 1 Apr 2020, 07:53 (Ref:3967976)   #208
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
UPDATED – COVID-19

MUK introduces 2 metre rule

In light of the UK Government updated guidelines on the COVID-19 pandemic (12 March 2020), Motorsport UK has today updated its guidance as to the implications of the outbreak in relation to motorsport. Based on the World Health Organisation’s declaration that this is a public health emergency of international concern, the UK Chief Medical Officers have raised the risk to the UK to high. First and foremost, Motorsport UK takes very seriously the concerns and welfare of its members and those associated with the motorsport community. It is important to follow the prevailing advice of the government and its medical experts – advice that the sport’s governing body is monitoring closely.
The governing body of motor racing in the UK, Motorsport UK, has confirmed the addition to the Blue Book regulations 2020 (Q) Circuit Racing a new paragraph 14.4.6 as follows

“No car shall be driven within 2 metres of another car, including when overtaking.”

This is to ensure the minimal spread of the Covid-19 virus as required by the UK Government’s guidance, it having been shown that there is no proof that race cars can neither contract nor spread the Covid-19 virus between each other or to humans.

Miranda Cow, Chief Executive of the British Touring Car Championship, welcomed the development by saying “WTF, what planet do these people live on? What will the bloody TV ratings be without door-handle scrapes, barging, closing the door, massive first lap pile-ups and fisticuffs in the pits after the race. The 2 metre rule is unworkable for our drivers who have been trained over the years to do everything possible to get as close as possible to other cars in the hope that something “unforeseen” will happen to get their sponsors extra air time. Our very livelihood is threatened by these measures.”

Jason Uranus, BTCC veteran, said “WTF I don’t care anymore. I’ve been so slow in the last two seasons I can’t get close enough to anyone to be within 2 metres anyway.”

Motorsport UK also confirmed the provisions that, to complete the club racing season satisfactorily after restrictions on sporting events are lifted, and given that national and international race meetings will occupy the entirety of the weekend calendar, all club meetings will take place between December 25th 2020 and January 8th 2021... Mallory Park Plum Pudding races 26th December, Snetterton 27th, Oulton Park 28th, Silverstone 28th, Brands Hatch 29th, Thruxton 30th, Donington Park 31st, Pembrey 1st Jan, Anglesey 2nd, Cadwell Park 3rd, Croft 4th, Castle Combe 5th. Goodwood 6th, Knockhill 7th and Lydden 8th January 2021 (January dates counting for 2020 championships).

The final anti-Covid-19 provisions announced today are
1. “coming in to the pits” will now be expressed as “sneezing into the arm pit” as a means of communicating the need for everyone to avoid spreading the virus,
2. Scrutineering of personal “equipment” will henceforward be done in the toilets so that each driver can show he or she knows how to wash their hands for 20 seconds while singing Happy Birthday,
3. When engaged in motorsport, stay at home; only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home). In this way, damage to cars and injury to drivers caused by the 2 metre rule will be successfully minimised.

By order
1st April 2020
Old 1 Apr 2020, 08:28 (Ref:3967980)   #209
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Happy April the 1st Cliff.
Old 1 Apr 2020, 08:35 (Ref:3967981)   #210
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just brilliant Cliff - a work of genius, especially the quote from J.Uranus (is that bit actually an April Fool?).
Old 1 Apr 2020, 09:22 (Ref:3967987)   #211
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Superb, lord knows we need a bit of humour
Old 1 Apr 2020, 09:51 (Ref:3967991)   #212
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i just copied it from Bernie's V8 FB page, thought a little bit of light relief was needed
Old 1 Apr 2020, 10:29 (Ref:3968005)   #213
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thank you, Cliff, a large smile is priceless in those unhappy circumstances. If was caught till your Miss Cow thingy…Well done!
Old 1 Apr 2020, 17:34 (Ref:3968069)   #214
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just to add to the complications, my mother in law passed away today (97) and now we have to visit registrars, funeral parlours etc.
Only just spotted this, condolences to you both and please past on our best wishes to Pat. A good innings though.
Old 1 Apr 2020, 17:41 (Ref:3968073)   #215
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
i just copied it from Bernie's V8 FB page, thought a little bit of light relief was needed
I hope he doesn't upset the same 'MUK' miseries as poor old Frank Lyons...
Old 1 Apr 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3968078)   #216
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Only just spotted this, condolences to you both and please past on our best wishes to Pat. A good innings though.
Thanks Joe will pass on the message.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 13:05 (Ref:3968210)   #217
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I hope he doesn't upset the same 'MUK' miseries as poor old Frank Lyons...
If you were aware of the full facts of that case you’d realise there is no comparison.....
Old 3 Apr 2020, 10:06 (Ref:3968364)   #218
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indeed, Mike.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 3 Apr 2020, 13:42 (Ref:3968404)   #219
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Indeed, Mike.
Moving on, from a purely selfish point of view, this pandemic has at least meant I haven’t missed any race meetings so far! So if I can beat the hideous disease that has affected me there’s still a chance..... 🤞
Old 3 Apr 2020, 14:39 (Ref:3968417)   #220
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Moving on, from a purely selfish point of view, this pandemic has at least meant I haven’t missed any race meetings so far! So if I can beat the hideous disease that has affected me there’s still a chance..... 🤞
Good lad Mike,
Old 3 Apr 2020, 14:59 (Ref:3968426)   #221
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed.
Old 3 Apr 2020, 15:20 (Ref:3968432)   #222
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
CSCC advised us yesterday that our Silverstone meeting on 22/23 August has been cancelled as Silverstone have bumped us in favour of a rescheduled WEC meeting. Obviously more financially beneficial for Silverstone.....if anyone can race by then, of course...

No doubt this cascade effect will affect more club-level racing as attempts are made to rearrange lost meetings.

CSCC are trying to find an alternative venue - we northerners are lobbying for Croft, Oulton or Anglesey of course
Old 3 Apr 2020, 16:45 (Ref:3968449)   #223
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My understanding is that several factors come into play

- the tracks obviously favour high income events over the clubbies, if given a chance

- buuut the especially the high income events will also be the ones with high spectator numbers, so there could be the problem of them not beeing possible till later dates, as the restrictions might get lifted progressively, and not in one fell swoop

- on the other hand, a high profile event that pays TV revenue might even make sense behind closed doors, if such an animal does exist

- then there are events that require a run up and build up period and might at some point be legal to run but are financially not viable at short notice, there are some shaky candidates in July and early August, as far as I understand. Put yourself into the organisers shoes: they might have to commit now to book services that might not be required after all, so what to do ?

- also, some current statements from organisers and tracks are driven by contracts and legal commitments, there might be statements made now against better knowledge, hence all those postponements that can never get reinstated

- i would have expected that the small clubbies are less risky both commercially and from an infection point of view and might get started earlier, but apparently I am wrong about that

I really do wonder from which point onwards it will be possible again to cram 195.000 spectators into Silverstone for the GP, or 60.000 for the Silverstone Classic and 100.000 per day into Goodwood to rub shoulders. Unless the path to this point is known, seeting the machinery in motion to put on these events is a huge risk

RuE
Old 4 Apr 2020, 14:16 (Ref:3968599)   #224
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If the 15 August french meeting is confirmed I wonder how those having transportation trucks will manage… At the moment the restrictions dont apply due to the virus. Hope they dont expect too many spectators in Burgundy at this time of the year. I'd be happy to go anyway, for many reasons.
Old 4 Apr 2020, 15:17 (Ref:3968611)   #225
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
If the 15 August french meeting is confirmed I wonder how those having transportation trucks will manage… At the moment the restrictions dont apply due to the virus. Hope they dont expect too many spectators in Burgundy at this time of the year. I'd be happy to go anyway, for many reasons.
Is that at Dijon, Gerard?