Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 6 Jun 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1628258)   #1
M3desmo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey, UK
M3desmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Urgent - Le Mans Help Needed"

Desparate to attend this year's Le Mans race and was all set to go until I was badly let down by the person I was due to travel with. As all of you know it is not much fun driving down to and watching the event on your own. Ideally if any of you are looking for an extra car and driver to join your group that would suit me perfectly. Does anyone out there have a spare ferry ticket, camping ticket from someone who has dropped out of their group? As it will only be me in my car I wouldn't mind having a passenger or sharing some of the load such as beer/supplies etc. If you can help it would be much appreciated!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1628402)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to the forum M3desmo!

Can anyone help him out guys and gals?

You may well have to resort to eBay and a second mortgage to get camping tickets now (as you already know ).
Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1628422)   #3
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've sent you a PM (M3desmo) with what I hope you'll find to be a useful suggestion. Good luck!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1628442)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3desmo
Desparate to attend this year's Le Mans race and was all set to go until I was badly let down by the person I was due to travel with. As all of you know it is not much fun driving down to and watching the event on your own. Ideally if any of you are looking for an extra car and driver to join your group that would suit me perfectly. Does anyone out there have a spare ferry ticket, camping ticket from someone who has dropped out of their group? As it will only be me in my car I wouldn't mind having a passenger or sharing some of the load such as beer/supplies etc. If you can help it would be much appreciated!
I would suggest that the first thing to get is your camping ticket, Sudden Glut of them on Ebay however I think the ACO still has some aswell, once you have a campsite, then I am sure that you will find an invite from other people in that site, we are in tertre rouge and you are welcome to join us if you can get a camping ticket for there. The ferry/tunnel might be harder as some crossings are already full.

We will be going down on Wednesday morning with Sea France and then a gentle drive down, trying to avoid the motorways, arriving at the campsite in the afternoon, hopefully. Most people are very friendly in the campsites and I am sure that if you let ten-tenths know where you are camping and which ferry you are taking down you will not be on your own for long.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1628456)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done guys.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1628457)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The other alternative is to just park your car in the car park and walk into the car site of your chosing.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1628464)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
car site/camp site?

Can you do that?
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1628487)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
The other alternative is to just park your car in the car park and walk into the car site of your chosing.
The more expensive campsites have better security now, you get a ticket when you leave the campsite and have to give it back when you return. I use tertre rouge for this very reason, it is not an open campsite like Houx annex.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1628488)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
car site/camp site?

Can you do that?
oops, I did mean "walk into the camp site", sack the proof readers

Although officially you are meant to only have one tent per car no-one ever checks this, so there is nothing stopping you strolling in with your tent under your arm and pitching up alongside everyone else.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1628589)   #10
M3desmo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey, UK
Thanks for the friendly and helpful advice.

Have had some response from a posting on Club Arnage forum and it seems that there are still a few ferry crossings left from Dover. Do you have any recommendations as to which campsites are best?

I am still open to any offers to join a group on a package (ferry & campsite ticket) and will pay fair prices for a place.

I must just add that the enthusiasm expressed on the forum is infectious and has given me renewed hope that I will make it to Le Mans this year. Next year I will definitely book a spot early and hopefully meet up with any new friends made at this year's event.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1628619)   #11
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beausejour tickets can be bought on ebay at less than face value now - i should know as i sold mine there this weekend when my dad pulled out (for the first time in 15 years!)
Why do they go for a fortune until i want to sell one??
Old 6 Jun 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1628694)   #12
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those of you who haven't booked a ferry yet, there is a special offer with Seafrance if you book via the radiolemans.com
Old 7 Jun 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1629171)   #13
M3desmo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey, UK
Thanks for all the help and advice from all on the forum.

I have now managed to sort out my ferry crossing but am still after a camping ticket. Lots are available on e**y at the minute but I will use this as a last resort! Has anyone got any spare to offer? I would also consider a grandstand seat if any are going at face value.

I have been very impressed so far with the response here and on the Club Arnage forum and just need these final bits of the puzzle.

Will post my travel and camping details once sorted so that I can hopefully hook up with a convoy for the journey down.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 19:27 (Ref:1629448)   #14
M3desmo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey, UK
All Sorted - I'm On My Way

Big thanks go out to all on the forum who have offered advice and help.

I've managed to crack the nut - Will be travelling on SeaFrance Dover/Calais on Wed 14th at 8:15am and staying in Houx campsite.
Is anyone else travelling on this same crossing and wouldn't mind an extra car joining their convoy down to Le Mans?

Can't wait to go now. See you all there!!!
Old 7 Jun 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1629513)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sure you'll be able to hook up with a group on the ferry should you not find anyone to drive down with before then

Where abouts are you from BTW?
Old 7 Jun 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1629565)   #16
M3desmo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey, UK
Need to join convoy to Le Mans

As you say, if I don't have a previous arrangement to join a convoy, it should be relatively simple to follow others, it's just more social to have at least made contact prior to arrival at the port. There is also the added peace of mind which results from being able to exchange mobile numbers in the group with a common understanding that at least there will be backup if anything untoward were to happen on the way down.

Either way I will be going and anyone else in a similar situation is welcome to get in touch.

I live in Walton on Thames and will be travelling to Dover on Wednesday 14th to catch the Seafrance 8:15am crossing.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 04:28 (Ref:1629681)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Yeah, I agree. Good luck! We will be following along just under 24 hours later from Woking. Getting excited now
Old 8 Jun 2006, 06:57 (Ref:1629718)   #18
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Glad you're now sorted (that was easy!)..........

Can't help with a convoy, but if you haven't done the route before, beware Rouen. I believe we got lost every single time we took the Calais-Le Mans route!
Old 8 Jun 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1629735)   #19
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
...beware Rouen. I believe we got lost every single time we took the Calais-Le Mans route!
Going south is relatively easy through Rouen, just follow the signs to "Le Mans" (the one tricky one is at the end that translates as "for Le Mans follow signs to Caen") it's coming back that is the tricky bit as you have to ignore the "Rouen" signs and look out for "Boulogne" which takes you on the bypass rather than into the city.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 07:47 (Ref:1629742)   #20
M3desmo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey, UK
Navigate to Le Mans

I fortunately have satnav in my Beemer so getting lost won't be a problem provided I enter the correct destination details. Have also been offered to join a convoy of TVR's which arrive in Boulogne on Speedferries at about 2:00pm. I am trying to decide whether to just get going as early as possible (as my ferry is at 8:15am) or whether to stock up on some supplies in Calais and then make my way over to Boulogne and wait for the TVR boys to turn up. As I will camping on Houx (with numbered pitches) am I right in assuming that I won't arrive on Wednesday evening to find my site taken?
Old 8 Jun 2006, 07:50 (Ref:1629743)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
We are on the same ferry, so see you on Wednesday morning then.

We will be in a Silver Rover 75 Tourer,an S class Mercs(Silver) and a Blue Jaguar XJ, really slumming it this year, but with all the gear we seem to need now I think we will rent an articulated lorry for next year.

We will be driving down our usual route via Rouen, with a stop at Bernie for lunch and supples at the Supermarket.

You are most welcome to join us, and we will make sure that you get to Houx.

GT6
Old 8 Jun 2006, 08:35 (Ref:1629771)   #22
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3desmo
As I will camping on Houx (with numbered pitches) am I right in assuming that I won't arrive on Wednesday evening to find my site taken?
Correct.

I'm sure you don't need to be told, it's an obvious precaution, but do make sure anything of value is locked safely in the car when you're watching the race. Sunday afternoon immediately after the race is a particularly popular time for certain elements to assume that anything left unattended on your pitch is no longer needed..........

Make yourself known to those camping near you, they will keep an eye on your pitch when you're away.

I don't mean to be alarmist. The vast majority of the crowd are honest upstanding people who are just there to have a good time , but there are a few exceptions who have a different agenda.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1629818)   #23
M3desmo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey, UK
Convoy to Le Mans

Thanks for the offer GT6.

I will look out for your group in the boarding lanes or check-in. I am aiming to be there for 7:00am so look out for a silver grey '04 BMW M3. Mind you if you get there before me, you will probably hear me first as I have a GruppeM exhaust system which sounds pretty fruity!

See you there.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1629821)   #24
M3desmo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Surrey, UK
Reply to Bentley03

Thanks to Bentley03 for the advice re security.

I am not someone who leaves things laying about or open and will heed your advice for when I am away from my site. Fortunately my site is with the West Yorkshire TVR boys and hopefully they will also keep an eye on my stuff whilst I'm away watching the racing. Any tips on the absolute essential camping bits to make the stay more enjoyable?
Old 8 Jun 2006, 09:51 (Ref:1629823)   #25
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Your Are keen, I won't leave home until 7.00 aiming to get there for 7.30 to 7.45
There is a small coffee shop/canteen were you wait but it is nothing special.

see you there