Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Apr 2019, 07:52 (Ref:3896542)   #426
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So if you're an ex-Supercar driver with sponsor connections who wants to go racing in something with nice brands and a TV package would you be ringing around?
Old 10 Apr 2019, 08:01 (Ref:3896543)   #427
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Polish driver Gosia Rdest races in German series as does another German female driver.

Dalberto is a handy addition to the entry list.
Gosia did a couple of events back in 2017 in Germany and Portugal for Target Competition. She also runs a Cupra in the Polish Touring Car Championship on occasion, but I don't belive it's TCR-sanctioned.

Michelle Halder finished 9th I think overall last year in her rookie season in TCR Germany with a Cupra, but is returning this season in a new Civic.

Swiss driver Jasmin Preisig has run an Astra the past two seasons in TCR Germany, but I believe she's running a Golf this year.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 20:35 (Ref:3896675)   #428
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bright in with a pair of Golfs from the TCR Asia series:

http://www.v8sleuth.com.au/news/2019...-two-car-squad

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 10 Apr 2019, 20:50 (Ref:3896680)   #429
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

Another self-funded seat..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Apr 2019, 21:13 (Ref:3896684)   #430
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post

Michelle Halder finished 9th I think overall last year in her rookie season in TCR Germany with a Cupra, but is returning this season in a new Civic.

Swiss driver Jasmin Preisig has run an Astra the past two seasons in TCR Germany, but I believe she's running a Golf this year.

Halder is the German lady who’s name escaped me. Cheers. I’ve heard of Jasmin Preisig but know nothing of her career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

Long rumoured to join the series so glad to see confirmation. Good to see him back behind the wheel of a touring car. It’s been a solid news week for the series with more to come. Driver list is shaping up nicely.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 22:41 (Ref:3896693)   #431
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I better go check this out when they hit the track in May. Glad they're going to make the track and not be delayed like the S5000s.
Old 10 Apr 2019, 23:31 (Ref:3896700)   #432
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be there.

Watched enough of it online over the years.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 09:22 (Ref:3896761)   #433
gtcapri
Racer

Australia
Maitland NSW
gtcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to seeing the first round in May.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3896805)   #434
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
UK version has just effectively died and been thrown in with an amateur run-what-you-brung (and similarly undersupported) series. We know have one series for two categories of about 5 cars each. Neither of which really need to exist anyway.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 12:35 (Ref:3896809)   #435
Umai Naa
Veteran

The key differences are that TCR Aus never outwardly claimed they were going to take on the big boys, and nor are they headlining a club racing event.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3896816)   #436
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
nor are they headlining a club racing event.
They are on at a club racing schedule (Shannon's Nationals -- the last time I went it was either free or $10 entry, and the crowd was about 100 folks at best), but they are about third or fourth billing!
Old 11 Apr 2019, 22:08 (Ref:3896903)   #437
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
UK version has just effectively died and been thrown in with an amateur run-what-you-brung (and similarly undersupported) series. We know have one series for two categories of about 5 cars each. Neither of which really need to exist anyway.

In the UK you have BTCC who’s cars are more similar hence why I’m not surprised it folded. Starting TCR makes more sense here then starting another Supercars based category as there’s already 3 or so series catering to them.

Add in that TCR is far cheaper to buy and race then a Supercar and I can certainly see it’s merits on that point alone.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 01:53 (Ref:3896919)   #438
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
In the UK you have BTCC who’s cars are more similar hence why I’m not surprised it folded. Starting TCR makes more sense here then starting another Supercars based category as there’s already 3 or so series catering to them.

Add in that TCR is far cheaper to buy and race then a Supercar and I can certainly see it’s merits on that point alone.
A production car is cheaper still, as is a Formula Vee, yet neither of these attracts the spectator masses of Supercar..
Old 12 Apr 2019, 04:59 (Ref:3896932)   #439
Speedy400
Racer

Speedy400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don’t have to hate it just because it’s not a Supercar.

I like Supercars, GT, Prod Cars - and I think the TCR thingy is pretty cool and I look forward to seeing it.

Those stupid utes though 👎🏽
Old 12 Apr 2019, 05:36 (Ref:3896934)   #440
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy400 View Post
You don’t have to hate it just because it’s not a Supercar.

I like Supercars, GT, Prod Cars - and I think the TCR thingy is pretty cool and I look forward to seeing it.

Those stupid utes though 👎🏽
I dont hate anything.
The economics around the class do not stack up.
Used cars out of Europe are fine until someone buys the latest toy, rendering the rest uncompetitive.
It happened in SuperTouring... it will happen here...
Old 12 Apr 2019, 06:16 (Ref:3896941)   #441
Speedy400
Racer

The latest toy?

Happens in Production Cars, GT3 etc also
Just now the latest toy in Supercars is kicking the Commodore and Altimas backside.

By that thought process the only category that makes sense is Carrera Cup...

But anyway - about 18-20 cars announced and the drivers have pedigree.

86 Champ
Super2 Champs x 2
Bathurst 1000 winner & Indycar (CART) driver

It won't rival the spectacle of Supercars but i'm interested and plenty of others are also.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 07:57 (Ref:3896949)   #442
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I dont hate anything.
The economics around the class do not stack up.
Used cars out of Europe are fine until someone buys the latest toy, rendering the rest uncompetitive.
It happened in SuperTouring... it will happen here...
BOP keeps the field fairly level.

The Hyundai was the car to have last year. Current BOP suggests it's not.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 10:00 (Ref:3896970)   #443
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
The latest toy?

Happens in Production Cars, GT3 etc also
Just now the latest toy in Supercars is kicking the Commodore and Altimas backside.

By that thought process the only category that makes sense is Carrera Cup...

But anyway - about 18-20 cars announced and the drivers have pedigree.

86 Champ
Super2 Champs x 2
Bathurst 1000 winner & Indycar (CART) driver

It won't rival the spectacle of Supercars but i'm interested and plenty of others are also.
....from the press officer of TCRA
Old 13 Apr 2019, 00:18 (Ref:3897112)   #444
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
....from the press officer of TCRA
This category will add a bit of quality to the Shannon’s Series that has been lacking since F3 was moved on. It is not meant to be a rival for Supercars although some may see it that way. With TCR , Porsche GT3 Challenge , S5000 and F4 the Series arguably is more attractive than the diet of Aussie RC, “super” utes etc that Supercars force us to endure.
Old 13 Apr 2019, 00:24 (Ref:3897113)   #445
Mixer
Veteran

No doubt it is a great and relevant series but I hope we see some depth unlike most of the other series. The initial announcements are promising. Plenty of those second tier professionals around who should be able to bring a sponsor. I just want to see the manufacturers get behind it in a visible way, even if the monetary contribution is not large.

Old 13 Apr 2019, 00:26 (Ref:3897115)   #446
Speedy400
Racer

Not an employee - just an interested motorsport fan.

I think it's cool - and there is a an enduro at Spa later in the year which in theory any Aussie team can put their car on a boat and race against the rest of the world.

As much as I like Supercars I never understood why we needed to be different than other touring car categories.

Not a rival - just something different and I think it makes sense.

Eagerly awaiting the next driver announcements!
Old 13 Apr 2019, 08:05 (Ref:3897173)   #447
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not an employee - just an interested motorsport fan.

I think it's cool - and there is a an enduro at Spa later in the year which in theory any Aussie team can put their car on a boat and race against the rest of the world.

As much as I like Supercars I never understood why we needed to be different than other touring car categories.

Not a rival - just something different and I think it makes sense.

Eagerly awaiting the next driver announcements!
More to come soon.
Old 14 Apr 2019, 00:01 (Ref:3897325)   #448
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A production car is cheaper still, as is a Formula Vee, yet neither of these attracts the spectator masses of Supercar..
Put all the Supercar drivers and teams in there with Mr Crompton doing the commentary, run them as the main events at the Adelaide 500, Bathurst 1000 or wherever, call it the ATCC and I doubt the figures would change much

Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman
It is not meant to be a rival for Supercars although some may see it that way
Super Touring started out as not meaning to be a rival to Supercars, same with PROCAR

Once a bit of momentum gets up with the class though hopes get up and the owners get ideas that this could be bigger then ben hur, combine that with Supercars getting protective and into war mode and before you know it the classes are rivals.

TCR will either die quickly or end up in a war with Supercars, touring car classes cannot co-exist in a post-1996 Australian motor racing scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy400
Because in 1993 it made sense to race our bread and butter cars sold here, Commodore's and Falcon's, as other series around the world were doing, looking after their market.

In 2019 though it makes less sense to race the cars they currently do, perhaps apart from the Mustang
Old 14 Apr 2019, 08:03 (Ref:3897376)   #449
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Because in 1993 it made sense to race our bread and butter cars sold here, Commodore's and Falcon's, as other series around the world were doing, looking after their market.
Yet why was the substantially similar BMW 540i excluded despite a willing Gardner BMW works team, which later had no choice but to go over to the Super Touring series where BMW were actually welcome...

Such a missed opportunity by the organisers, frankly a dumb omission IMO...

Similarly, why not retain RWD-only and (if required, four door) Skylines in the field, with a suitable equivalence between 2.5-2.6L turbo and the V8 of the BMW, Holden and Ford? The foolish ATCC rule makers seemed determined to alienate willing manufacturers, which is sheer madness.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 14 Apr 2019 at 08:09.
Old 14 Apr 2019, 10:16 (Ref:3897407)   #450
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I dont hate anything.
So then I guess it’s just things you like/protect more than others?