Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Apr 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3896234)   #251
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The thing is, are our expectations unrealistic? I've been thinking about this a lot....

.....Not long ago there was no Internet to show live streaming let alone free. Why should it be free? One doesn't expect to walk into the meeting FOC, and many people have said "the TV coverage was like being there." If you're "there" perhaps you should expect to pay?

If the internet wasn't there we wouldn't be watching, free or paid for. They're a commercial business, no reason to give it away and stop people coming through the doors.

I suppose it's the same argument over F1 and FTA TV. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm unreasonable expecting it free. However in the case of F1 it's hardly "free" because by having a huge audience we do pay for it through our licence fee/buying advertisers' goods etc.

I think it's just the transition from "free" to "paying" that's unpleasant.
Paying to watch is one thing, but one has to sign up to the GRRC, which is a long term commitment, for three days action?

However, it is Goodwood's meeting and they can do whatever they want, I doubt they lose sleep or income because of a few historic fans. Like me.

Lord March is under no obligation to share his affairs with the hoi polloi, so we should not complain.

Now back to Brexi ……….
Old 8 Apr 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3896236)   #252
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope I can keep my membership going when I retire, so I don't complain at the concept of using it as payment for another club facility. But it obviously needs to go back to its previous level of quality.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 13:44 (Ref:3896237)   #253
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ah right. Toby Moody, motorbike commentator. Apart from Marcus I don't know the others.

Also understand that the grids were comprised of all the same historic racers.
Toby Moody is usually not too bad, if a bit excitable. Think he also commentates at one of the hill-climb courses, & is usually quite well informed.

Former Autosport editor Bruce Jones has also done Goodwood commentary in recent times but don't know if he was there this week-end. Didn't recognise the HH-F shoe-in.

As with other areas at Goodwood, I guess it's all about the lifestyle now.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 13:47 (Ref:3896238)   #254
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Paying to watch is one thing, but one has to sign up to the GRRC, which is a long term commitment, for three days action?

However, it is Goodwood's meeting and they can do whatever they want, I doubt they lose sleep or income because of a few historic fans. Like me.

Lord March is under no obligation to share his affairs with the hoi polloi, so we should not complain.

Now back to Brexi ……….
Bob, thought of you whilst watching the Goodwood coverage last night. There was a Vauxhall Astra ad. during the commercials & it ended with the words something like "It's all about the Griffin. No Bull".

Does that mean you are no longer considered to be a loyal customer??
Old 8 Apr 2019, 14:35 (Ref:3896245)   #255
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We attended in person, so didn't see Live Stream or ITV4, only what went up on the big screens (and we didn't spot any Boat Race coverage!). For our penny's worth (or £200+ more like) we had a great weekend, some excellent racing, a great show all round, some good bands, nice atmosphere, not too crowded, masses of food choices, and nice pint of beer! Kids (who are not too fussed about it all) had enough fun on Saturday that they wanted to come back Sunday too.

We loved the Mini races, whether or not they are exactly period cars they were great to watch.

Overall enjoyment added to by two heroes of this family taking big wins - Ben Mitchell and Nick Swift - well played to both!

His Lordship will get some more of our money for 78MM ... whatever the nay-sayers say.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 14:52 (Ref:3896248)   #256
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I appear to have stirred up a hornets' nest without any intention of doing so.

My comments were purely aimed at the ITV4 programme (not Channel 4 that I mistakenly wrote earlier) and those comments were not a criticism of the actual racing at Goodwood.

As much as I would loved to have spent the long weekend there to absorb the real atmosphere, I am a bit long in the tooth to have to raise a mortgage to make the trip from up here in the frozen north.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3896267)   #257
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks to E.B I could watch both the GM and Graham Hill Trophy and really enjoyed it. Not only because I could recognize one or two drivers I know. I find the TV coverage is really good and some views are the best to be seen with focuses on the drivers struggling at wheel. We have nothing comparable here, for free or not. I dont think I will ever pay to watch and quite understand why the organiser wants to make money with such a high quality service. IMO.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:09 (Ref:3896271)   #258
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The two races that are available to watch fully are the two I'd have chosen to do so.Can't complain at that.

With regards to money all I'll say is that I don't mind paying for a new service, but not for one that was free before and then suddenly starts paying.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 16:29 (Ref:3896279)   #259
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
At the end of the day, watching Goodwood on TV may be better than nothing , but ultimately it's just watching telly . I pushed the boat out and went to Goodwood . It is one of many events I attend , but from the perspective of a civilian like me , it is the best event of the year. The customer care is exemplary and the programme is terrific . Only the Mini race did little for me - I don't like single make tintops and wish they'd been mixing it with Cortinas and Mustangs .

The Edwardian stuff was quite extraordinary but the highlight for me was watching Jordan/ Whittaker in the TVR through St Marys - and the sight and sound of the 250GTO and 275GTB . Oh, and the Corvettes, Elans , Lotus 23s , ERAs and Lotus 41 and .... etc

Marcus Pye was as expert and erudite as ever but (Doug Nye and Ed Foster apart) the others weren't so hot. One kept losing it and the other made a passable Alan Partridge soundalike .

Brilliant weekend
Old 8 Apr 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3896304)   #260
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
I don't mind paying for a new service, but not for one that was free before and then suddenly starts paying.
If you apply this to your whole life, enjoy it while it lasts or prepare yourself to "some" changes!
Old 8 Apr 2019, 19:34 (Ref:3896305)   #261
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As with all these things, March is pushing the envelope in terms of trying to make the maximum profit from these events. It is the way modern event business works. Which is why I have nothing to do with it in any way at all. Cup Finals, 6 nations, gigs, F1, all utterly exploitative.

He knows full well people will routinely pay over the odds for events at Goodwood, there is a market for extremely overpriced events, has been for years now sadly.

So why not try it on tv wise, if people buy it, it was a foot in the water, if the uptake was poor he will drop price, it it was high he will maintain it.

Sadly, people are so desperate to part with their cash for these events I expect prices will just go on increasing. The precedent has been set, and March is simply following most big events in charging people for tv coverage.

The sad thing is, it's only going to get worse.

I promised myself years ago I would only ever attend his events on a freebie, and that is never likely. The crowds, expense, fake snobbery of these events never appealed to me anyway so I am not missing much.

But it is interesting to read how regulars are not so happy.

Again, sadly there will always be thousands who would no doubt spend 150 quid on MM tickets, and while that is the case, fair play to March for exploiting them I say.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 19:42 (Ref:3896308)   #262
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I always enjoy the Gerry Marshall trophy and the mini race was close as usual
Old 8 Apr 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3896310)   #263
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Having only had the chance to catch the ITV4 coverage after the BTCC, I was reasonably happy with it.......of course it was never going to be ideal, with only 2 hours (including ad-breaks) to cover two days' activities, but I enjoyed what I saw, especially since it was broadcast almost simultaneously with the end of the second day.

I can understand GRRC members being miffed if they weren't able to access coverage that they felt they had paid for, of course, but for free to air the ITV4 stuff wasn't that bad......
Old 8 Apr 2019, 20:13 (Ref:3896315)   #264
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Both the Member's Meeting and the Revival are basically three or four events in one, depending on which tribe you're part of.

There is definitely a monied, establishment, tweed-and-flat cap constituency who seem to consider both events to be part of the season. The arrogance and sense of entitlement of this group does grate, but I find it easy to ignore (or laugh at, in the case of the comic group breaking out the champers at 9am on Saturday). The 'house' stuff at MM is puerile.

On the other hand if you're a proper petrolhead, there for the cars and the racing, both events have a lot to offer. At the 77MM this weekend we had a jaw-dropping collection of Porsche 917s, including chassis 001. Incredible. There was a noisy, rowdy display of NASCARs, a half-dozen original M1 Procars and a very tidy group of LMPs. A few years ago several Shelby Daytona Coupes ($25m each?) hammered around at the Revival. There may be legitimate raised eyebrows at the authenticity of some of the race entries, but they all look and sound great and properly race.

In between these two groups there are plenty who are there for fun and the experience, especially at Revival, and Goodwood caters well to them as too. The attention to detail in the creation of the areas is amazing, the fancy dress is a lot of fun, it's family friendly and generally superbly organised.

I tend to think that you'll find whatever preconceptions you bring accurately confirmed. If you think it's fake, snobbish and over-priced then that's what you'll find. If you think it's a great historic motorsport meeting with awesome cars, that's what you'll find. If you think it's a fun family day out with lots to do, that's what you'll find.

IMHO, of course.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 21:00 (Ref:3896325)   #265
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly, again, I can think of a multitude of family events that offer far more and are far cheaper, even free.

This is only for enthusiasts, and rich ones at that. Not all Goodwood events are, but the MM certainly is, and for me it actively pursues that agenda.

Which for me is extremely offputting
Old 8 Apr 2019, 21:17 (Ref:3896327)   #266
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Both the Member's Meeting and the Revival are basically three or four events in one, depending on which tribe you're part of.

There is definitely a monied, establishment, tweed-and-flat cap constituency who seem to consider both events to be part of the season. The arrogance and sense of entitlement of this group does grate, but I find it easy to ignore (or laugh at, in the case of the comic group breaking out the champers at 9am on Saturday). The 'house' stuff at MM is puerile.

On the other hand if you're a proper petrolhead, there for the cars and the racing, both events have a lot to offer. At the 77MM this weekend we had a jaw-dropping collection of Porsche 917s, including chassis 001. Incredible. There was a noisy, rowdy display of NASCARs, a half-dozen original M1 Procars and a very tidy group of LMPs. A few years ago several Shelby Daytona Coupes ($25m each?) hammered around at the Revival. There may be legitimate raised eyebrows at the authenticity of some of the race entries, but they all look and sound great and properly race.

In between these two groups there are plenty who are there for fun and the experience, especially at Revival, and Goodwood caters well to them as too. The attention to detail in the creation of the areas is amazing, the fancy dress is a lot of fun, it's family friendly and generally superbly organised.

I tend to think that you'll find whatever preconceptions you bring accurately confirmed. If you think it's fake, snobbish and over-priced then that's what you'll find. If you think it's a great historic motorsport meeting with awesome cars, that's what you'll find. If you think it's a fun family day out with lots to do, that's what you'll find.

IMHO, of course.
This is well said. It is easy to walk out past Madgwick and up to St Mary's and just to concentrate on a great motorsport spectacle. I don't go often anymore because I can't afford it, it's far to cold for my old bones and there always seems such a lot of time when nothing much happens on the track.
Old 8 Apr 2019, 23:28 (Ref:3896332)   #267
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Once again I find myself asking serious questions about the true eligibility of much of the Grp1 field.
How on earth can the period front runners like Rover and Capri get blown away by ancient Mustangs and odd flat front Escorts?!

The Escort must have a zakspeed Group 5 engine in it to go that fast?!

It makes good tv to have all sorts racing but a proper grid would be equally exciting for tin top fans?
Old 9 Apr 2019, 04:33 (Ref:3896355)   #268
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds like the event was a great success as ever. What I have seen is a complete lack of daffodils. I am a bit miffed at not being invited but then again life moves on.

And yes the GM Trophy grid is somewhat eclectic.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 04:59 (Ref:3896358)   #269
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Sounds like the event was a great success as ever. What I have seen is a complete lack of daffodils. I am a bit miffed at not being invited but then again life moves on.

Ah, the Daffs! I was wanting to know what the story would be......

GMT is the St Mary’s of the MM. The Pinto engine in that flat front could be anything up to 2.4 litres if the builder so desired...... Note I said ‘could’ be, not suggesting anything!
Old 9 Apr 2019, 06:21 (Ref:3896365)   #270
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post

IMHO, of course.

Hear hear .
Old 9 Apr 2019, 07:01 (Ref:3896368)   #271
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Yes I was miffed as well. We normally get a last minuet to call to do something but was not to be. Got offered a ticket to spectate but dont do that.I spent the weekend working on Delta truck which was fun.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 07:10 (Ref:3896369)   #272
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Whatever the capacity, they didn't go the duration.

Worn their cams/followers out? And quite literally ground to a halt

FWIW I thought the racing was quite good, what few bits I saw, TBH I didn't remember it was on until Sunday morning, I even enjoyed the mini race, possibly because it's just an entertainment spectacle. not sure what's acceptable protocol for racing prehistoric looking things but it appeared a bit too close for comfort on occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
. The Pinto engine in that flat front could be anything up to 2.4 litres if the builder so desired...... Note I said ‘could’ be, not suggesting anything!

Last edited by zefarelly; 9 Apr 2019 at 07:17.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 07:59 (Ref:3896375)   #273
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Bob, thought of you whilst watching the Goodwood coverage last night. There was a Vauxhall Astra ad. during the commercials & it ended with the words something like "It's all about the Griffin. No Bull".

Does that mean you are no longer considered to be a loyal customer??
John, I see from the coverage of the BTCC that I have been replaced as the Vauxhall icon by some bloke called Jason Plato.
What is the world coming to?

Mind you it did not seem to do them much good.
Old 9 Apr 2019, 08:04 (Ref:3896377)   #274
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’m glad to read that many enjoyed the event. Some Gilbern friends went to spectate and also said same. In a nutshell, what Anyopenroad said!
Old 9 Apr 2019, 08:51 (Ref:3896383)   #275
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
John, I see from the coverage of the BTCC that I have been replaced as the Vauxhall icon by some bloke called Jason Plato.
What is the world coming to?

Mind you it did not seem to do them much good.
Actually Bob, I think you could probably do a better job than Jason Plato these days - he seems to be past his sell-by date (thankfully!).

I thought the Brands BTCC was actually quite good, they were fairly well behaved, with no Safety Cars or anything, required. The racing was not bad & there was a real mix of old & new drivers coming to the fore. In recent times, half the grid seem to consist of old boys living out their mid-life crisis but now there are some genuinely promising youngsters coming through.