Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2019, 08:02 (Ref:3904809)   #1
Laurence Nicholls
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location:
UK
Posts: 2
Laurence Nicholls should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking for Advice - Buying an Electric Vehicle (EV)

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and have been looking across a load of sites for information on purchasing my first EV. I couldn't find a section on Tentenths so please direct me if there's a better area on the forum to post on!

I'm basically really interested in buying an EV, not too sure where to start and which models are good. I know that a lot of people are recommending brands that aren't very common in the UK so was wondering if people had any of these / could recommend a brand.

I wouldn't mind looking at Tesla if needs be but seems that there are better brands out there.

Thanks, Laurence
Laurence Nicholls is offline  
Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3904934)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran
 
GORDON STREETER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
Posts: 7,927
GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Nicholls View Post
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and have been looking across a load of sites for information on purchasing my first EV. I couldn't find a section on Tentenths so please direct me if there's a better area on the forum to post on!

I'm basically really interested in buying an EV, not too sure where to start and which models are good. I know that a lot of people are recommending brands that aren't very common in the UK so was wondering if people had any of these / could recommend a brand.

I wouldn't mind looking at Tesla if needs be but seems that there are better brands out there.

Thanks, Laurence
Hi Laurence welcome to the forum, I don't know how soon that there will be an EV dedicated thread on 10s as "most" are dyed in the wool petrolheads ! However some that post on here do own EVs including Mike Bell who has (or had) a BMW , so he may pick up on this
GORDON STREETER is offline  
__________________
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3904953)   #3
GregUK
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 195
GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How far would you ever want to drive?
GregUK is offline  
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:22 (Ref:3905022)   #4
crmalcolm
Veteran
 
crmalcolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Ireland
Posts: 3,974
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
Laurence,

A query relating to your post, which might help to understand your current research and knowledge.

You say
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Nicholls View Post
not too sure where to start and which models are good.
then add
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Nicholls View Post
I wouldn't mind looking at Tesla if needs be but seems that there are better brands out there.
What leads you to conclude that there are better brands than Tesla?
crmalcolm is offline  
__________________
"It was really frustrating to stay behind slower cars, it ended up to be a fairly boring race for me."
"Wasn't fair! I brake for animals, Lewis doesn't"
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:39 (Ref:3905054)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran
 
GORDON STREETER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
Posts: 7,927
GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!
I have actually driven a Nissan Leaf when they first came out, I enjoyed the drive but I can't see myself buying one in the near future until they are sorted to do more miles between charging and of course charging points that don't take hours.
The one that I tried belonged to a guy that I know who "thought" that it was the dogs "do dars" but he sold it a few months later at a hell of a loss because of the problems that I state above.
Saying that, one would probably suit my other half that will only drive locally in a 10 mile radius of our house in the UK.
One other thing, I almost got run over by one in a local car park the other week because of the lack of any noise, and I can see it being a problem in the future unless some sort of audible noise is introduced especially in places where there are people walking about.
Obviously they will replace the ICE vehicles in the future but not for a fair time, and as for busses and freight transport even further ! although I did see an electric JCB type digger performing the other day but I can't see them catching on either until the tap is turned off for good
GORDON STREETER is offline  
__________________
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3905058)   #6
SnoodyMcFlude
Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
United Kingdom
Posts: 169
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=GORDON STREETER;3905054I almost got run over by one in a local car park the other week because of the lack of any noise[/QUOTE]

No, you nearly got run over because you weren't paying attention. There are deaf people all over the world who manage to avoid being run over every day, despite not being able to hear cars coming.

I agree that they are spooky and it's easy to be caught out, but people should be bright enough to look where they're going and not need some audible signal that a car is approaching.

I think the problem at the minute is with range. Even if I only drive more than 100 miles in one trip every few months, it's often enough that would make electric too much of a hassle. Plus I don't want one. I'm keen to see them improve, I don't imagine I'll still have ICE in 15 years or so.

In terms of a buyer's guide, there are plenty of sensible articles already on the internet. Most will highlight the positives and negatives of each option
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electr...-cars-and-evs/
SnoodyMcFlude is online now  
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 13:07 (Ref:3905059)   #7
ApexTurtle
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
United States
Posts: 299
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Basically the only reason to get an EV is because of tax breaks, and that depends on the country you live in.
ApexTurtle is offline  
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3905067)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran
 
GORDON STREETER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
Posts: 7,927
GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
No, you nearly got run over because you weren't paying attention. There are deaf people all over the world who manage to avoid being run over every day, despite not being able to hear cars coming.


Say what you like sunshine, I just hope you don't get hit by an inconsiderate driver that wasn't even looking where she was going and was looking and talking to the woman next to her !
GORDON STREETER is offline  
__________________
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3905071)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran
 
GORDON STREETER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
Posts: 7,927
GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
Basically the only reason to get an EV is because of tax breaks, and that depends on the country you live in.
Yes there is that, however electric cars aren't exactly cheap to buy at the moment and of course the government can change things at the drop of a hat and start sticking road tax on when they feel like it !
GORDON STREETER is offline  
__________________
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3905073)   #10
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran
 
VIVA GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
England
Leicestershire
Posts: 4,032
VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!VIVA GT is going for a new lap record!
I've a little experience with hybrids as we service a few where I work, and slight experience with a put EV as my sister has a Renault Zoe (I refer to this as her milk float!).
2½ years ago I was asked if I would ever have an EV or a hybrid, and dismissed the whole idea out of hand, 'I will always want an engine' was my reasoning.
However, I also enjoy a driving challenge, 40 years ago the challenge was to drive everywhere as fast as I could. Nowadays (although I still don't consider myself a slow driver) my challenges are mainly to drive as safely and as efficiently as possible. Road testing the hybrids has opened my eyes to the possible advantages of this type of system, and not being purely electric, they don't carry the risk of stranding you because you've run out of volts, a problem that would still put me off the idea of a pure EV. I enjoy the challenge of driving the hybrids, on my road tests I try to drive half on totally electric power.
I'm now mellowing to the idea, and would like to see what it's like to live with one for a week (so much so that yesterday I even checked if my local car hire company rent them out so I could try that - they don't!), just so I could see.
VIVA GT is offline  
__________________
Incognito: An Italian phrase meaning Nice Gearchange!
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 15:15 (Ref:3905077)   #11
Laurence Nicholls
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location:
UK
Posts: 2
Laurence Nicholls should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Laurence,

A query relating to your post, which might help to understand your current research and knowledge.

You say

then add


What leads you to conclude that there are better brands than Tesla?
I've seen some hype from Geneva & more recently Shanghai Motor Shows that were showing these newer brands that I haven't really seen (from the UK) I think I was quite vague in saying better brands I meant better for price. From my limited understanding of EVs so far, it seems as if companies are starting to try and make affordable options?
Laurence Nicholls is offline  
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 16:01 (Ref:3905086)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 8,749
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Nicholls View Post
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and have been looking across a load of sites for information on purchasing my first EV. I couldn't find a section on Tentenths so please direct me if there's a better area on the forum to post on!

I'm basically really interested in buying an EV, not too sure where to start and which models are good. I know that a lot of people are recommending brands that aren't very common in the UK so was wondering if people had any of these / could recommend a brand.

I wouldn't mind looking at Tesla if needs be but seems that there are better brands out there.

Thanks, Laurence
What kind of miles are you expecting to cover on a daily basis, and what's your budget. Given you've already named Tesla, I'm guessing the budget is relatively high.
Akrapovic is online now  
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 16:02 (Ref:3905087)   #13
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 8,749
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Say what you like sunshine, I just hope you don't get hit by an inconsiderate driver that wasn't even looking where she was going and was looking and talking to the woman next to her !
Because as we know, nobody is ever hit by an ICE car and they're all as loud as Corvettes.

Pay attention. It not being your fault doesn't matter when you're in hospital.
Akrapovic is online now  
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 19:43 (Ref:3905132)   #14
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran
 
Mike Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Posts: 13,601
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Apologies for just noticing this thread, but have been away playing with noisy 101 octane leaded petrol cars....

BEVs. I’ve been driving a BMW i3 for two years, without any issues. It has a smallish range due to being a small car with smallish battery. That isn’t a problem for most of the time, but does mean a bit of planning for long trips.

The owner of 2 cars I am privileged to race with him is on his 3rd Model S. He had one of the first to arrive in the UK and has upgraded now to a P100D. In the 3 cars he has covered around 90k miles, all around Europe.

Simple fact- A Tesla is the only EV that you can drive around the UK or across Europe without charger issues. Their Supercharger and Destination network is way and above superior to any other. The new Jag, Merc, Audi etc models boast a very rapid charging rate, BUT at the moment there are hardly any chargers able to supply that rate. Most max at 50kwh.

The new Kia and Hyundai BEVs are the best so far for good range at a more affordable price. They both have a waiting list..... In the next couple of years there will be several alternatives worth consideration from Euro and Far East manufacturers, but I will be saving for a Tesla Model Y. That charging infrastructure of theirs is the clincher.....
Mike Bell is online now  
__________________
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. (Einstein)
Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 22:28 (Ref:3905154)   #15
joeb
Race Official
Veteran
 
joeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 11,344
joeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famejoeb will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Simple fact- A Tesla is the only EV that you can drive around the UK or across Europe without charger issues. Their Supercharger and Destination network is way and above superior to any other. The new Jag, Merc, Audi etc models boast a very rapid charging rate, BUT at the moment there are hardly any chargers able to supply that rate. Most max at 50kwh.
I've always wondered about plugs on EVs, do all the different models use the same plug size/shape so you can use chargers in different places? Or does a Porsche plug look different than a Tesla or Nissan?
joeb is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camera Buying Advice tbtstt Motorsport Art & Photography 15 3 Nov 2009 19:26
Buying Advice Robin_D Motorsport Art & Photography 1 3 Oct 2008 10:11
Looking at buying a new car, finance info please MikeHoyer Road Car Forum 6 17 Oct 2005 22:19
Buying my first Mini - any advice? Minardi fan Classic Cars 14 7 Aug 2002 22:44
electric motors for electric superchargers con-rod Racing Technology 1 26 Apr 2001 18:00


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 19:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.