Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 21 May 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3905157)   #16
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
Basically the only reason to get an EV is because of tax breaks, and that depends on the country you live in.
They are a hoot to drive. If you are driving it as a normal car for the tedious A to B the power delivery is a joy. More relaxing and I'd much drive one compared to a modern ICE for that kind of journey. I had an e-Golf for sometime and it was a perfect commute car. If you are, er, pushing on then they, depending on model, can also excite. Easy to get power out of those motors and such torque. Great stuff. Put the battery low down and they can handle too and it can make up for some of that weight. The e-tron is a good example of this. All modern cars are too heavy anyway

Some get them for tax breaks, others because it suits their life, some because they prefer them.

Of course the range can be an issue. If you don't need the range then they are more convenient if you have a drive/garage, You never waste time filling up (and it is cheaper).

I like them. Doesn't mean I like E-Types any less. After all I'm a petrolhead.
Old 21 May 2019, 23:51 (Ref:3905158)   #17
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They are a hoot to drive.
I disagree. The instant torque is a nice feeling at first but gets very old very fast. The weight just makes it drive like a tank and not in a good way.
Old 22 May 2019, 01:14 (Ref:3905162)   #18
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope your not acting like an old dude.

I put it in context of a modern daily car, which are heavy anyway. The low c.o.g. can allow for some decent helmsmanship especially with 400hp on tap. A tank? Nah? I wouldn’t put them in that category. It’s no MX5 or Elise, but then I’m comparing to everydayers.

And when just travelling as opposed to driving the ability of the motor is even nicer than a V8 or diesel. Even the quietness adds to that kind of journey.

It wouldn’t be my only car, but I’ve enjoyed having one and will probably again soon. Although I’m looking for something light at the moment. Not for daily use though
Old 22 May 2019, 07:21 (Ref:3905183)   #19
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They're cheaper to "fill up", even when you have expensive electricity. Seems like a good reason to me.
Old 22 May 2019, 11:23 (Ref:3905205)   #20
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I've always wondered about plugs on EVs, do all the different models use the same plug size/shape so you can use chargers in different places? Or does a Porsche plug look different than a Tesla or Nissan?
As has happened with other new tech in the past, none of the interested parties sat down and agreed on a common standard, so there are different plugs on chargers for different makes.....

If you’re charging at a slow or fast (3.5 to 22kwh) charger that requires you to use your own cable, there is a common standard on the charger. If you want to use a rapid (50kwh) post that has a dedicated cable, then there are two types. One (chademo) charges Leafs, the other (CCS) most other makes. The latter is now becoming the accepted standard.

Tesla have a unique plug/socket combo for their cars and charge points. It is very rapid, old Superchargers were 120kwh but the latest V3 is 250kwh, which is way higher than anything else currently in use. The new Model 3 has a second socket (CCS) so it can be charged at other locations easier, but other models can only be charged elsewhere by using an adaptor.

One of the Charger infrastructure problems that is holding things back is that Ecotricity, the pioneer in motorway installations, managed to get an exclusivity agreement with service area operators. So if, for example, BP Chargemaster want to put a charging station on a motorway, it will be off site, like the new one at Milton Keynes. Tesla took EcoT to court over the arrangement but lost. They did however, get some Superchargers in service areas by paying a lot of money.... This would be no problem if EcoT were putting more investment in, but after the initial money (Nissan and grants) ran out they have spent nothing. Their chargers are becoming unreliable and the tech is falling behind. It needs someone to buy them out!
Old 22 May 2019, 23:25 (Ref:3905301)   #21
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
I think the home charge stuff is getting more reasonable, but does depend on your current house.

When in the UK the e-Golf could be easily charged over night on standard 240V. So you could drive the range and if staying over night charge and come back. That was an enabler to some journeys. In the US the 110V was next to useless, albeit with a bigger car. I got about 20 miles additional range overnight (battery just over half full at start - this makes a difference). And a cup of tea takes so much longer to make!
Old 22 May 2019, 23:27 (Ref:3905302)   #22
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Nicholls View Post
HI'm basically really interested in buying an EV, not too sure where to start and which models are good.
back to the original question and to pick up on previous questions.

What else do you need from a car. Size? Family? What current car do you have/cars you like?
Old 23 May 2019, 04:41 (Ref:3905317)   #23
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think the home charge stuff is getting more reasonable, but does depend on your current house.
I think building regs now require new builds to have sufficient h/d wiring to allow a 7kwh charger to be installed. I installed a unit in my garage and it will recharge my i3 from low to full overnight without problem. My provider was chosen because they sell 100% 'renewable' energy. And if at my workshop during the day and needing a charge, I can 'fill up' with power produced by the rooftop panels on every unit in the estate and the solar farm immediately behind. Not unusual to get a full charge without using any national grid electricity...