Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Sep 2019, 09:14 (Ref:3925542)   #51
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After a very late decision to go on Sunday, have to say that, despite Silverstone's 'best' efforts, I rather enjoyed the race.

It was a shame that the LMP1 race wasn’t a little more exciting but as always GTE Pro/Am made up for it. The howl from the Am Porsches when they were in convoy down the start/finish straight actually made my ears ring!

Have to agree with many of the comments here though about the lack of understanding, lack of commitment from Silverstone. It does seem a huge waste of space not to have the grandstands open on Sunday. H&S gone mad again! Just returned from Spa 24 Hours where the organisers go out of their way to make sure that the spectators are well catered for and that ALL grandstands are open and FREE!

It felt that attendance was significantly down on Sunday over previous years, with the shuttle buses being much easier to get on, with little or no queuing.

Started in finish line grandstand, then went to the bank in front of the disabled stand at Club where we got a little wet and then caught shuttle to Becketts which was very annoying with lack of grandstand availability. Then walked back around to Club for the finish. Also noticed that the stand at Abbey was open at the start of the race for what appeared to be press photographers but no one in there afterwards.

Didn’t make it over to the wing, but also noticed the real lack of vendors for both food/drink and merchandise on the outside of the circuit. Think that Silverstone really don’t want fans there! Glad I didn’t have to pay £40 for the experience as I had comp tickets.

Took a lot of images that I still need to sort through, but have one real gripe. I often stand at the access gate between Club and start line grandstands to get shots of the cars accelerating onto the main straight – a few different angles can usually be had from here. This year however, they had put slightly higher advertising boards on the front of the tyre barrier which meant without steps you couldn’t see over them! Brilliant! My wife who is only just over 5ft had no chance and quickly got bored so we moved on!

Come on Silverstone you can do better than this! Will I go next year? Probably not – unless there is more to see and a better response from the circuit towards the fans!
Old 3 Sep 2019, 10:36 (Ref:3925556)   #52
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Certainly sounds like you spectatory folks had a mixed bag of a weekend!

I had a great weekend - good group of people on the post, cracking racing (even the Porsches), and it was nice to just be flagging rather than the inevitable "doing all the jobs" that happens at some meetings.

Ayse, I probably had my back to you when you passed!

The advert hoardings, unfortunately, are a repeating problem at high-level meetings. They're entirely out of the control of the circuit, the boards are placed by the company managing the dressing of the venue on behalf of the ACO, and they sometimes put them in utterly stupid places meaning we can't get over walls/tyre barriers or worse, see what we need to see. They get very sniffy when we cut them down or make holes in them in order to run the meeting safely!

I do agree on the race length though. It seems odd to me that both the junior (ELMS) and senior (WEC) races ran to the same duration, and I definitely missed the extra two hours. That said, I got home a lot earlier than usual so that was a bonus
Old 3 Sep 2019, 11:00 (Ref:3925560)   #53
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a next year for Silverstone and WEC.

Sunday felt like everyone just going through the motions. We know ACO didn't want to be there and the 4-hour thing feels like pure petulance om their part. I very much doubt Silverstone were thrilled with having two hours cut off on Sunday with no additional support races and I suspect they couldn't cut the ticket prices because their costs for the weekend are exactly the same for a 4-hour or a 6-hour race.

Club being closed on Saturday and Becketts on Sunday, contrary to what had been promised, is just petty penny-pinching. Silverstone take a very risk-averse approach to health & safety rules and believe they need staff in every open grandstand and (presumably) additional insurance they (or WEC) aren't willing to pay for. They ensured that the stands along the start/finish straight were full for the ceremonies though, which makes the TV pictures look good.

The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth tbh.
They have staff in grandstands even at club meets. Went to Britcar RD 1 and even though there was only 3 in the stand they had to have a safety gun in there.

Also when I went to the HSCC GP meet in May they said as we were spectating from the wing as no stands open they said that the meeting was the other side meaning that everyone should be over on the national part. Talk about frustrating.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 11:10 (Ref:3925568)   #54
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Certainly sounds like you spectatory folks had a mixed bag of a weekend!

I had a great weekend - good group of people on the post, cracking racing (even the Porsches), and it was nice to just be flagging rather than the inevitable "doing all the jobs" that happens at some meetings.
Looked like there was a good number of marshals from what I saw, which is positive. Thanks for marshalling, doesn't happen without you guys so really appreciated by people like me that can't commit in the same way.

Unlike a lot of people I was quite glad of the 4pm finish as it meant we were back in the car by about quarter past and actually made it home in time to go to bed
Old 3 Sep 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3925571)   #55
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
They have staff in grandstands even at club meets. Went to Britcar RD 1 and even though there was only 3 in the stand they had to have a safety gun in there.

Also when I went to the HSCC GP meet in May they said as we were spectating from the wing as no stands open they said that the meeting was the other side meaning that everyone should be over on the national part. Talk about frustrating.
I wish they were a bit clearer about which stands will be open and where the screens were. Website said "Free roving grandstand access including Abbey, Woodcote B, International Pit Straight, Becketts, Stowe Lakeside, Village B, Club Corner, National Pit Straight." but I'm pretty sure not all those were open. Mind you, the website is a bit poor in places...either that or I completely missed the Formula V8 3.5 and F3 pits
Old 3 Sep 2019, 11:50 (Ref:3925575)   #56
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The SPA ELMS round in a few weeks time is free entry all weekend including the paddock and a pit walk...if it isn’t called F1 Silverstone are literally not interested
Old 3 Sep 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3925617)   #57
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The advert hoardings, unfortunately, are a repeating problem at high-level meetings. They're entirely out of the control of the circuit, the boards are placed by the company managing the dressing of the venue on behalf of the ACO, and they sometimes put them in utterly stupid places meaning we can't get over walls/tyre barriers or worse, see what we need to see.
Seem to remember a similar problem last year with some very high hoardings around almost all of the Becketts complex which upset an awful lot of people - wouldn't even move them when asked after the Friday! Yet another example of the organisers just not giving a s**t about anyone paying their hard earned cash/time to try to enjoy the weekend.

One thing that the lack of grandstands caused was for me to walk around a little more and find some other angles for photographs - not really tried shooting from behind the fence between Stowe and Club before but if you were a little inventive it did create a few different angles.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 17:07 (Ref:3925642)   #58
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
I wish they were a bit clearer about which stands will be open and where the screens were. Website said "Free roving grandstand access including Abbey, Woodcote B, International Pit Straight, Becketts, Stowe Lakeside, Village B, Club Corner, National Pit Straight." but I'm pretty sure not all those were open. Mind you, the website is a bit poor in places...either that or I completely missed the Formula V8 3.5 and F3 pits
I think Abbey was open at some time on Sunday. Stowe Lakeside (really Vale) was open. Woodcote B was open on Sunday (maybe at other times). Not sure about Village. I didn't see any stands open at any time on the National Pits Straight. Becketts was open on Saturday for ELMS but not on Sunday for WEC. Amusingly, Stowe was open for a while (on Friday I think) with a few people in there as a gate had been left open - almost certainly accidentally.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 18:47 (Ref:3925657)   #59
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I think Abbey was open at some time on Sunday. Stowe Lakeside (really Vale) was open. Woodcote B was open on Sunday (maybe at other times). Not sure about Village. I didn't see any stands open at any time on the National Pits Straight. Becketts was open on Saturday for ELMS but not on Sunday for WEC.
Lakeside, Woodcote B, Abbey and International Pit Straight (what's left of it) were open both days.

National Pit Straight was open on Saturday, didn't check on Sunday.

Village B was open Sunday, I didn't check on Saturday.

Half of Becketts was open on Saturday only. A small part of Club was open on Sunday only.

Last year the website clearly stated what grandstands were going to be open each day. This year it was vague, as Snoody says.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3925666)   #60
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Vague and downright inaccurate.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3925721)   #61
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Last year the website clearly stated what grandstands were going to be open each day. This year it was vague, as Snoody says.
I also searched and failed to find the lists of open grandstands online, but there were signposts dotted around the circuit which did list the details and they were all listed on the little fold up pocket guides that were available at various outlets around the circuit.

Sunday, frankly, demonstrated a complete lack of care and understanding for racegoers...2 hours of race time confiscated and given to Bahrain (why??? NOBODY asked for or wanted that !!!!!), no additional support race (or races) to compensate for the shortened programme, no food outlets on the outside perimeter from opposite pit exit to Woodcote (walking anti-clockwise), no big screen opposite Club, the BEST grandstand (Becketts) closed. Between them, the ACO/FIA and Silverstone failed to provide the facilities and put on the headline Sunday show that we, as paying punters, have an absolute right to expect. Friday and Saturday were as good as ever, excellent schedule, adequate food outlets around the perimeter on Saturday, maybe a couple more open grandstands would have been good (Club, although without a big screen opposite it loses its appeal somewhat) etc. etc.

The biggest crowd was, as you would expect, on the Sunday, yet it was the day offering the least value. The shortest programme on track, starting more than an hour later than on Fri/Sat and finishing at least 2 hours earlier, with just 4hrs 35mins of on track entertainment (compared with 7hrs 20mins on Friday and 7hrs 15mins on Saturday).

I know of many who, because of the reduced race length, decided not to bother to go this year. I also know of many who went this year (and have done so for many years) who, unless the race is returned to it's six hour format, will not bother to go next year.

At a time when the organisers should be making a BIGGER effort to retain it's fanbase, they are mocking us. Me, I am incensed. I feel cheated, irritated and frustrated. Why change a schedule which has worked perfectly for years? Why try to fix something which isn't broken?

GIVE US BACK OUR TWO HOURS!!!!!!

Last edited by Bentley03; 4 Sep 2019 at 08:59.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 12:39 (Ref:3925783)   #62
The ginger prince
Rookie

The ginger prince should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to go against the grain somewhat, but my boy and I had a great weekend.
I would have preferred a longer race, but it managed to hold the attention of a 9 year old for the duration, he got to meet drivers in the paddock, do the autograph session for the ELMS, get flags / posters / hats from the WEC girls, spend time in the fan zone, and when it all got a bit wet head into the wing* for a sit down. As a weekend for an adult and child, £40 is still decent value for money.
I agree with the FIA wanting differing race lengths across the season, and hopefully it'll be back next year over the same dates, if its 4hrs or 8hrs, My boy is already talking about going back.
*Silverstone still needs a tunnel / dunlop bridge to get from the start finish straight / car park exits to the wing though.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3925787)   #63
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the 1 hour highlights programme on SKY F1 last night and in my opinion that was about 30 minutes too long.

The 24 hour races @ Le Mans & Daytona are brilliant and when you go you feel like you've been entertained, I think Silverstone just want your money.

After that wasted hour, I then watched the superb Porsche Carrera Cup race from the Thruxton TOCA meeting, which restored my interest in recorded motorsport.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 15:21 (Ref:3925811)   #64
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The weekend was definitely geared to those with children - it is now in the summer, school holidays after all. Although not necessarily geared towards the race!!

I'm lucky that we're only 20-25 minutes from Silverstone so can come and go as we please but my time spent viewing racing was definitely compromised from previous years - partly to do with taking my youngest son with us to all 3 days and having a friend and his two sons along as well.

The race was a little short and there didn't feel like there was much racing to watch - previously, in April, there's been much more on track action. Although you suspect that some fans 'complained' that the race ended too late and so a 4 hour one was trialled (hopefully).

All in all a good weekend, but it definitely didn't feel as well organised as before.

Still need to trawl through my photos and post some....
Old 4 Sep 2019, 15:32 (Ref:3925814)   #65
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Just watched the highlights on eurosport, actually saw myself in the wing at one point
Old 4 Sep 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3925827)   #66
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only went on the Friday, was cheap, and the best weather, got a little burned, but managed to walk most of the perimeter and to the Wing, very annoyed ti find the WEC zone was closed, a rather stupid oversight considering there were quite a few people there, and Friday is a great day to encourage kids and families to go as it is cheaper, and lots of them are busy at weekends.

Track is what you expect, fairly dull and featureless, but watching the top cars in certain places is just great.

And one more thing, can you just imagine how much that hotel is going to be for F1 or MotoGP, it will makes its money back in two years!!
Old 4 Sep 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3925837)   #67
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It seems an almost absurd place for a hotel though! The money would have been better spent on a tunnel or bridge across..... Still I suppose the lure of more money from those who have more of it than they know what to do with was no doubt too great....
Old 4 Sep 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3925846)   #68
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It seems an almost absurd place for a hotel though! The money would have been better spent on a tunnel or bridge across.....
I believe the hotel build will include a bridge to the Wing. I would imagine that was part of the deal so Silverstone effectively get the bridge for "free" (I know not strictly "free" but at least part of a contract so they don't just have to write a cheque).

The 4-hour duration and the support race lineup are not things I believe Silverstone could do anything about. At least the ELMS was there on Fri and Sat. Go to Spa in April and the WEC will have the same three-day schedule only without ELMS - it's very, very thin.

ELMS usually also runs to three days (which I think is totally unnecessary) with only a 4-hour race on the Sunday. They do have the Le Mans Cup for LMP3s though, plus took Endurance Legends to Monza and will have a new Alpine race next year.

My irritation with Silverstone is over the things they can control: grandstands, food/drink outlets and (according to others on this thread) camping. It felt like they just put in the minimum possible effort. I don't think WEC/ACO wanted to be there and I don't think Silverstone really wanted them there.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3925848)   #69
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
I believe the hotel build will include a bridge to the Wing. I would imagine that was part of the deal so Silverstone effectively get the bridge for "free" (I know not strictly "free" but at least part of a contract so they don't just have to write a cheque).
Interesting..... Just for the supermonied hotel dwellers or will the great unwashed get to use it I wonder.....?

Quote:
My irritation with Silverstone is over the things they can control: grandstands, food/drink outlets and (according to others on this thread) camping. It felt like they just put in the minimum possible effort. I don't think WEC/ACO wanted to be there and I don't think Silverstone really wanted them there.
Yep. It certainly felt that way. Come and spend a day at our wonderful Wing - why would you want to go anywhere else.....?
Old 4 Sep 2019, 18:44 (Ref:3925854)   #70
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
A bridge to the wing, first time i have heard about that, but then again until friday i did not know about the new hotel
Old 4 Sep 2019, 20:28 (Ref:3925879)   #71
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums

Even with a shorter race, I still managed to take lots of photos ! Galleries for Friday practice and the race now on Flickr.
Old 4 Sep 2019, 22:32 (Ref:3925894)   #72
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm another who went on Friday only, and in the past I have only ever done Friday or Saturday. Even in its heyday I never thought the Sunday was worth doing.

I agree with most of the criticism on here, but I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for those who went on Sunday and are now complaining. The race length and timetable had been around well in advance of the event, as had the (ludicrous) ticket prices. There was fair warning...
Old 5 Sep 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3925976)   #73
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Same for me. I enjoyed the racing and didn't feel in any way that I'd been shortchanged by a 4 hour race.

Absolutely agree that a tunnel/bridge at the main straight is desperately needed, it's silly how much of a circuitous route it is to get from one side of the track to the other.
Old 5 Sep 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3926028)   #74
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
I'm another who went on Friday only, and in the past I have only ever done Friday or Saturday. Even in its heyday I never thought the Sunday was worth doing.

I agree with most of the criticism on here, but I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for those who went on Sunday and are now complaining. The race length and timetable had been around well in advance of the event, as had the (ludicrous) ticket prices. There was fair warning...
We went because we're fans of the WEC and going just for practice and qually was a bit halfbaked for us. Yes we knew the race had been shortened but that doesn't mean we're not entitled to complain about that fact...
Old 5 Sep 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3926037)   #75
outnumbered
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading
outnumbered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Attendance must have been way down on a couple of years ago when there were 6 hybrid P1s running, Sunday seemed very thinly attended, and I agree that the food provision was quite poor. I was there a week earlier for MotoGP practice on the Friday only, and the comparison with numbers of people there and facilities was tragic really.

I actually felt that the 4H format suited the reduced field quite well, so wasn't too concerned about the loss of 2H from WEC.

If there will be a public bridge to the Wing, that will remove my main objection to Silverstone as a spectator.