Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 5 Sep 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3926051)   #76
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
We went because we're fans of the WEC and going just for practice and qually was a bit halfbaked for us. Yes we knew the race had been shortened but that doesn't mean we're not entitled to complain about that fact...
Yep in total agreement there, been to the silverstone WEC race each year for many years and i certainly did not want a reduced race, i will always be interested in this type of racing but i still feel the shortening of the race was not welcome by many people.
Old 5 Sep 2019, 20:10 (Ref:3926056)   #77
hoffman66
Rookie

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame it really is.

Even the GT class so full last year with BMW and Ford aswell as the current teams looks a bit thinner.

And please forgive me but as a fan I cannot get massively excited about P2, they sound the same, pretty all look the same. Some great drives int he tv footage I was watching, especially from that Dutch lad (with the worlds richest Dad it seems, makes even Daddy Stroll look cheap)

And Am, again, is OK, but forgive me for saying I want to see the very best all the time, not rich amateurs, I know it has always been a part of endurance racing, but surely they can be in ELMS, where the GT field was very poor.

I went to enjoy crazy cars on the GP track one last time and was impressed, was lucky with weather, but the way the Friday crowd was left out of some things was a little sad.

Will be fascinated to see a Wing bridge, but I am wondering if it might be for guests only, and I also presume that Hilton are renting the land? It is their hotel after all, not Silverstones, why would Silverstone pay for it?
Old 6 Sep 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3926233)   #78
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think it would be very hard for the bridge to be restricted to hotel guests only, have you ever heard of a hotel where only guests are allowed in, how would you register on arrival or even enquire about staying in the hotel, and how would they stop people from the wing going into the hotel, security guards checking everyone. Suspect bridge will be for all and is part of the agreement between silverstone and the hotel
Old 6 Sep 2019, 20:25 (Ref:3926259)   #79
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm... I'm sure they could try to stop people accessing it - entry cards or badges, etc.. But hopefully not!

https://www.eastmidlandsbusinesslink...circuit-hotel/
Old 7 Sep 2019, 05:27 (Ref:3926302)   #80
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps View Post
Hmmm... I'm sure they could try to stop people accessing it - entry cards or badges, etc.. But hopefully not!

https://www.eastmidlandsbusinesslink...circuit-hotel/
Definitely ‘hopefully not’, but I share your scepticism. I can’t see the hotel being happy with thousands of non residents trooping through the place (during a big meeting, at least), and then using lifts or stairs to get to the bridge level.....

It would be very easy to issue residents and guests with a wristband or something that indicates they have the right to be there. Happens all the time at most meetings I go to, whether it’s to get into the circuit, pit lane, hospitality, get on the pitwall, or even get in a race car!
Old 7 Sep 2019, 06:44 (Ref:3926306)   #81
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ginger prince View Post
*Silverstone still needs a tunnel / dunlop bridge to get from the start finish straight / car park exits to the wing though.
Yes this put me off going across to the Wing at all.

My wife who's never been to a motor sports event live before and I went on the Saturday only. Spent most of the morning in the IPS stands, ELMS qualifying around Becketts then back to the start line for the Porkers race and ELMS start, followed by a stroll around the outside of the circuit. I had a brilliant time but wish I'd brought my bike, but my wife found the 4 hours a bit long and has concluded she'd do a race meeting again but not an Endurance event. Fair enough really.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3926322)   #82
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Why did you not use the bus, on saturday there were plenty of them and you also get a great view from the top floor as you travel around
Old 7 Sep 2019, 10:26 (Ref:3926327)   #83
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Why did you not use the bus, on saturday there were plenty of them and you also get a great view from the top floor as you travel around
We've been to the circuit several times before including doing 3 half marathons around it, so the view from the bus wasn't really a benefit. We didn't have another reason though other than every time we went past a stop there was a big queue and no sign of a bus.

I didn't really mind the walking though, because we could reminisce about stories from the track before. Such as the line of trees past the Farm Bridge that were used as a very informal toilet (not by me I should add) during the first half marathon we did, and stopping off at the old SnoozeBox hotel for a coffee another time.
Old 8 Sep 2019, 10:31 (Ref:3926572)   #84
hoffman66
Rookie

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally think Silverstone should have embraced their past a lot more with improvements.

I love the old building int he middle, the rickety old house near Woodgate, they should embrace it all, maybe modernise them instead of just hiding them, or knocking them down.

They have more history than most tracks and we are famed for it, yet it is all hidden away, do more with Bridge corner, for events like this, it was a fabulous bend yet it sits there vacant, doing nothing.

All we are going to ahev is a posh new museum, no doubt costing a lot to enter, to try ad make even more money. I get it, but it's not the same.

But maybe I am showing my age, I would have preferred a lot of stuff that has happened on UK tracks not to happen, for instance I can remember watching bike and car racing at Cadwell right at the bottom of the bank into the Mountain, inches away from cars!
Old 9 Sep 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3926938)   #85
outnumbered
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading
outnumbered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I'm not convinced there were "plenty" of buses. I waited about 10-15 minutes at the Wing after about 3 hours of the ELMS race, got fed up and started to walk, then 2 buses came along at once.

I noticed the same thing last year during the WEC event, there were about 4 of them in convoy and then a very very very long wait. I think they need some active management, rather than just letting the drivers trundle around all day without any proper scheduling.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 16:08 (Ref:3926945)   #86
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Unfortunately buses are like that, a long wait means big queues then vast numbers get on that bus taking time, the next bus arrives no queue so moves off quickly, eventually they appear to be hunting in packs, it happens in every city i have ever been to
Old 9 Sep 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3926951)   #87
Aysedasi
Shy and Retiring.....
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We certainly waited for about 15 minutes on Sunday and then gave up and walked to Becketts to watch the start of the WEC race from the (closed) grandstand.......

49/268
Old 9 Sep 2019, 19:27 (Ref:3926979)   #88
B0U170NS
Rookie

B0U170NS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
We certainly waited for about 15 minutes on Sunday and then gave up and walked to Becketts to watch the start of the WEC race from the (closed) grandstand.......
I was there on Friday and I'm pretty sure there were only 2 buses running 30 minutes apart
Old 11 Sep 2019, 12:31 (Ref:3927371)   #89
Anyopenroad
Racer

European Union
London
Anyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAnyopenroad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No 2020-21 WEC calendar yet. Current season was announced on 17 Aug last year.

Of relevance to this thread is that the last weekend of August 2020 (which is also the Bank Holiday weekend next year) has MotoGP at Silverstone.

Assuming WEC wants to start in September, that messes up the usual ELMS schedule. ELMS usually announce calendar at the Spa round, which is 21/22 September. I wouldn’t be surprised to have ELMS at Silverstone mid-August and no Silverstone on the WEC calendar.