Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Mar 2019, 23:03 (Ref:3887881)   #1
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
found photos I took at the 1981 Canadian GP

haven't come on here in ages
cheers to anyone from the early days of this forum

while going through photos to scan from a box my father had put things in, I discovered prints from the 81 race. The 80 race had been a weird one, with snow coming down and I remember having to wear winter clothes and a wool hat.
The 81 race had those pretty yellow and black Renaults, the gold and black Lotus, the new CF chassis McLaren , and Gilles Villeneuve driving his car around in the rain with a damaged front wing that at one point flipped up and was blocking his view, but he kept driving around and it luckily broke off so he didnt get black flagged, and he came in third.

so long ago.

pretty crap photos, but fun to see again as I hadnt seen them for probably 30 years, and fun to see the one shot of Villeneuve oversteering around the hairpin for fun during one of the practice sessions I think.
Would be only 8 months later when he died. And the following Canadian GP in 82 had that horrible start line crash and fire that was sickening to watch.
Attached Thumbnails
1981_CanadaF1_049.jpg   1981_CanadaF1_050.jpg   1981_CanadaF1_051.jpg  

Old 3 Mar 2019, 04:36 (Ref:3887917)   #2
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Great photos!
Got more?
How good did F1 cars look back then?
Old 3 Mar 2019, 05:10 (Ref:3887923)   #3
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Great photos!
Got more?
Thanks, but I'm very aware that they are mediocre, chain link fence filled shots. Yes, there are more, but these at least give a feeling of the time.

I actually think gp cars from all eras are great looking, well some are less beautiful for sure, but while it's easy to find photos and vids of anything today with a click, it was fun to pull these out and remember being there. I think I even drove my motorcycle a few hours to go to the race.
Main memories are of Villeneuve just driving along with the busted wing, then it sticking up in front of him, and still getting on the podium.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 08:33 (Ref:3887940)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for sharing your memories, djb. Is that de Angelis in the Lotus, who had collided with Villeneuve? One of those marshals looks like he is trying to stop the other from approaching the car. It looks pretty precarious. Any memories of that moment?
Old 3 Mar 2019, 10:26 (Ref:3887973)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I remember seeing that very front wing at the Musee Gilles Villeneuve when I went there in 2002
Old 3 Mar 2019, 13:40 (Ref:3888008)   #6
djb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Thanks for sharing your memories, djb. Is that de Angelis in the Lotus, who had collided with Villeneuve? One of those marshals looks like he is trying to stop the other from approaching the car. It looks pretty precarious. Any memories of that moment?
You know I don't have any memories. That is the slow right section which is after the present day start line, then as today, folks tangle or lose it on their own under braking and go onto the grass. Think of all the post start incidents we've seen there over the years.
I did look up some YouTube stuff of the tv coverage of the race, but didn't see this spin. But yes, the marshal intersection looks odd, but it could have been simply cuz a car was approaching, who knows.
We'd have to check the helmet designs.

Neat to see John Watson's car, even if out of focus. Nice looking car that McLaren.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 13:42 (Ref:3888009)   #7
djb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I remember seeing that very front wing at the Musee Gilles Villeneuve when I went there in 2002
I have only been once, was in the area for a job one day and popped in, couldn't spend too much time though as I had to get back to Montreal and get film developed-so that shows how long ago it was. Probably the 90s.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3888013)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The sliding Ferrari is especially amazing!

Would you upload those photos to Wikimedia Commons with a free licence?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Welcome
Old 3 Mar 2019, 15:03 (Ref:3888019)   #9
djb
Veteran

re the Lotus, I'm fairly certain it is Mansell, the arrow design on the helmet appears to match up some searches I found.

and no thanks senor, there are much better photos of cars of this era out there, no need for these ones, and I'm not interested.

but yes, its a good example of Gilles Villeneuve and his style that we all remember fondly.
Old 3 Mar 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3888057)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
I have only been once, was in the area for a job one day and popped in, couldn't spend too much time though as I had to get back to Montreal and get film developed-so that shows how long ago it was. Probably the 90s.

I went there again in 08. Enjoyed both times there
Old 4 Mar 2019, 23:32 (Ref:3888303)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so much about these photos is awesome. like everyone else, i particularly love the one of gilles having a bit of fun. thank you for posting them!
Old 5 Mar 2019, 00:41 (Ref:3888307)   #12
djb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
so much about these photos is awesome. like everyone else, i particularly love the one of gilles having a bit of fun. thank you for posting them!
thanks previous mobile phone selling and crap old beemer driving gal ;-)

the funny thing of the Gilles oversteering shot, is that as these prints had disappeared eons ago, I always had this shot in my head, and was disappointed it never turned up. I had the moment of taking it, that feeling of getting the shutter release just right as he drifted past us. I remember being aware of positioning myself to be above the fence line, and I clearly remember the people cheering around me.

For sure, these feelings were affected by seeing the "hometown hero" go past, and as the years went by, long after he was killed, I kept this memory clear in my head.....but never found the photo.
I've written on here ages ago how that horrible feeling overcame my best friend and I watching the tv news that day that he died, seeing the replay of the accident and his ragdoll figure flying against that damn catchfencing they used back then.
I guess for me and a lot of people, his death was the first shocking death of someone that we all looked up to, I dont like using the "hero" word, but you know what I mean.

so, to finally find that my dad had squirrelled these prints away, and to finally see the colour image on paper again, that pretty much matches my memory of taking it, was neat.

I've had the opportunity to shoot at a few motorsport events in the past, did a lot of commercial and press work over about 25 years, but this was a nice surprise, because in my head, this really was a lost photo for me.
I also found some photos of me as a teenager that I had never seen (talk about fricken Capitain Dorky Hair, Santa Maria!) and also photos of my dad when he was a lot younger than I am today, which was pretty special also, especially given how he is getting on now and dealing with illness stuff that isnt particularly fun.

cheers 10/10ths folks
Old 5 Mar 2019, 00:56 (Ref:3888308)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for posting the pictures, they are so atmospheric and showcase the era.

The fact that they aren't "inside-the-fence" but a fan with their own camera capturing memories, which clearly from your comments have stayed with you, even though the pictures themselves went unseen for years. I feel that alone adds that extra something.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and your memories.
Old 5 Mar 2019, 12:31 (Ref:3888394)   #14
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Great photos!
Got more?
That's quite subjective as for me they look horrible my favourite cars in design terms was 2003 > 2006
Old 5 Mar 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3888395)   #15
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
This forum does not have a like function, and I do not have a lot to add other than to say thanks for sharing. I loved the look of the cars from this era.
Old 5 Mar 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3888411)   #16
djb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures, they are so atmospheric and showcase the era.

The fact that they aren't "inside-the-fence" but a fan with their own camera capturing memories, which clearly from your comments have stayed with you, even though the pictures themselves went unseen for years. I feel that alone adds that extra something.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and your memories.
thanks, and your second paragraph pretty much sums up why I came on here and put them up, partly because I also have nostalgic feelings towards this forum-- 2000 was a long time ago and finding an internet forum to share an interest was certainly new to me.
So this combines with sharing a "memory" thing that finding these prints caused with other racing fans, some of whom are of the age to remember this era of cars and G Villeneuve also.
And in any case, even for those not old enough, this is about a "fan" experience, and how at whatever era, we as fans create memories of drivers and cars and incidents-and it was fun for me to share it here.
cheers
Old 5 Mar 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3888414)   #17
djb
Veteran

and to chayne and Steve, thanks steve, I think I remember your name.

chayne, in the end, we look at the aesthetics of race cars very much so from our "present", and our attachment to them to an extent due to being in that era. It is pretty neat how its a constant evolvement isnt it?

and how our perception of them changes, even looking back at older things with a dfif appreciation sometimes. Its funny, for me, the skinny treaded tires of that early 2000s time and narrow chassis really didnt appeal to me, and still doesnt.
Those goofy indented noses of around that era or a bit later still look dumb to me, but on the other hand, I find that the halo look did look odd at first, but I find them looking fine now....

I guess I find it just pretty neat how the aesthetics change with technology changes, and its all good.
Old 5 Mar 2019, 19:57 (Ref:3888486)   #18
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaynes321 View Post
That's quite subjective as for me they look horrible my favourite cars in design terms was 2003 > 2006
Ha ha, for me these are the cars I associated with F1. Probably because I was a kid at that time (I was 7 in 81) and I had those exact cars on posters in my bed room.
They stayed there for a looong time until the were totally worn.

So yes, I have fond memories of those times and cars.

Thanks for posting the pictures djb, they brought a smile and good memories
Old 5 Mar 2019, 21:46 (Ref:3888502)   #19
djb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Ha ha, for me these are the cars I associated with F1. Probably because I was a kid at that time (I was 7 in 81) and I had those exact cars on posters in my bed room.
They stayed there for a looong time until the were totally worn.

So yes, I have fond memories of those times and cars.

Thanks for posting the pictures djb, they brought a smile and good memories
merci
Old 7 Mar 2019, 01:21 (Ref:3888819)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*waves hand to say hi*

I visit here pretty irregularly these days with work, life and family mostly replacing time for motorsports, so it's good chance that you posted them now! I appreciate them as well, because they remind me of visiting the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve as a spectator - even though they're from a different era than I visited it. I remember you telling me about how you could visit just about any part of the circuit with a general admission ticket in that era. Today (unless things have changed), they won't let you near the start/finish area without a very expensive ticket.

Even the fact that John Watson is somewhat out of focus reminds me of the challenge of photographing open wheel cars and getting the right parts of the car in focus, making me nostalgic.

Thanks for taking the time to scan them, and post them up here!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Mar 2019, 03:31 (Ref:3888823)   #21
djb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
*waves hand to say hi*

I visit here pretty irregularly these days with work, life and family mostly replacing time for motorsports, so it's good chance that you posted them now! I appreciate them as well, because they remind me of visiting the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve as a spectator - even though they're from a different era than I visited it. I remember you telling me about how you could visit just about any part of the circuit with a general admission ticket in that era. Today (unless things have changed), they won't let you near the start/finish area without a very expensive ticket.

Even the fact that John Watson is somewhat out of focus reminds me of the challenge of photographing open wheel cars and getting the right parts of the car in focus, making me nostalgic.

Thanks for taking the time to scan them, and post them up here!
well well well, thats funny to see your name and writing. Hello to you too Jay.
As far as I know, the circuit is still very limited to what you can see with a general admission. I havent been to the F1 race for a really long time, I actually dont remember what year I last went, but I did go once there the time NASCAR came, and it was interesting how the promoters had the spectator layout very much like back in those early days of F1 at the track. You could wander around and see the track from all kinds of places, quite close in places, unlike F1 where most places were either off limits with F1, or were curtained off for F1 (so you couldnt see through a fence) or simply had more grandstands and infrastructure in place obscuring the trackview. The ticket prices were even quite reasonable.

re Nascar, it was very strange how given that the marshal and recovery structure would have , I presumed, to be the same, it was maddening how long winded the yellows were at times. Very very Nascar, and certainly didnt endear me to it--although I am sure it must be something seeing it at an oval, with the sounds of the pack being very diff than seeing nascar cars tiptoeing and blundering around turns that go both ways, and hard braking for the love of Pete!

re out of focus. This was probably only my second time using a longer focal length lens, I must have rented a telephoto or something, but I certainly didnt have any experience with shooting with long lenses and fast action at that point.
I remember seeing your stuff in the years we lost touch, and you certainly got the hang of it.
Its a neat thing shooting sports. I ended up shooting a lot of theatre over the years, so having a lot of low light experience even from the film days, shooting wide open, and liking the fast reaction aspect of it, I always appreciated the bit I did sports and applied it to theatre.

but life goes on, I wish you the best. I still follow F1, still prefer motogp because of my past with motorcycles and how close generally the racing is, and the whole "body language" aspect of bike racing that is so visible and different than F1.

well, was quite a surprise to see your name. Been a long time. My kids are adults now, so life really does go on.....
Old 7 Mar 2019, 09:25 (Ref:3888867)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Great pictures! More please 😀
Old 7 Mar 2019, 10:18 (Ref:3888877)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow. Thanks.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3888947)   #24
djb
Veteran

thanks chunt and adam, even if I did want to scan more prints, I put them back in my dads photo box, I figured he liked having them there, and the "there" is a two hour drive away....so no more scans for now (and it still doesnt change that they are mediocre shots)

re memories and impressions---1980 was the first time I went to a gp, and I will always remember walking towards the track, would have been probably the first friday practice session, hearing the sounds and as we were walking past the hairpin, seeing a real life F1 car hammering towards us, then hauling out the anchors andslamming down the gearbox, heel and toe sounds gear by gear faster than I had ever heard a car downshift....and the sounds.....still gives me goosebumps thinking about it, it had that much of an impression on me.

so whether its 1980 or thereabouts, with DFV, V-12s or 1.6 turbo sounds washing over you---or for someone else in 2002 hearing a V-10 screaming towards them in real life--we all remember those first times and just how visceral it was--and this kinda sums up F1, bonkers fast, usually bonkers loud and bonkers cool.
Old 7 Mar 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3888953)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
re the Lotus, I'm fairly certain it is Mansell, the arrow design on the helmet appears to match up some searches I found.
Ah, I see. The reason I thought that is that I believe Gilles collided with Elio, hence the front wing.

Regarding the aesthetics, svelte those early 80s cars were not, often boxy-looking things, but as all racing cars are functional, that has its own beauty, and that era's cars do have a certain charm of their own.