Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Dec 2003, 16:14 (Ref:811668)   #1
BigFella
Rookie

BigFella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sunday Observer REAL sports personality

from todays Observer...

Stephen Green is not a world champion; he doesn't even race cars. But he is one of a cast of unpaod thousands without whom there would be no racing at all. Green shot to prominence in every sense when he abandoned a marshals' post at Silverstone and sprinted on to the track to tackle an intruder during the British Grand Prix. With F1 cars racing wheel-to-wheel at 170 mph. the 52 year-old showed minimal regard for personal safety, his first priority as a marshal with more than 20 years' experience being the fast removal of the man and avoidance of a potentially appalling accigent. Green's action was the rare public face of a dedicated bunch of men and women standimg in all weathers to look after the best interests of superstars who they only see in passing. Green. though, got much closer than most.
Maurice Hamilton
Old 14 Dec 2003, 18:20 (Ref:811720)   #2
Malc's
Racer

England
Nottingham
Malc's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets hope we see Stephen in the beeb's new category of unsung heroes tonight then.....
Old 14 Dec 2003, 18:51 (Ref:811736)   #3
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice piece, though I'd argue a bit about that "minimal regard" part. I'd call it a calculated risk.

Maybe you'll reap some more marshals out of the additional coverage. I do still wish we could capitalize on it over here
Old 15 Dec 2003, 11:41 (Ref:812080)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Sunday Observer REAL sports personality

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFella
from todays Observer...

I Never said any of that!
Old 15 Dec 2003, 21:13 (Ref:812517)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unpaid thousands? Sounds like there's a lot of us! Nice to see this is still having positive coverage. The Green man did us proud.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 08:21 (Ref:812851)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree! The last Green man we looked up to taught us how to cross the road as well!!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 08:52 (Ref:812870)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ah but he was green and cross - Stephen is green and happy!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 11:31 (Ref:812976)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Blimey, I have just read this and feel rather humble. As most of you know I and others have tried to capitalise on this incident to draw new marshals into the sport. So far we have had limited success but the BMMC and marshalling in general have received some fabulous press so it was all worthwhile.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:39 (Ref:813018)   #9
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see you got a mention in Motorsports Now! as well. You'll soon be famous enough to give up the day job!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:56 (Ref:813037)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I have another two to mention but not quite yet.

The good news is that it is all GOOD publicity for marshals in general and we should use it to capitalise on recruitment. I'm going to be on the BMMC stand at the Autosport Show saturday and sunday trying to get a few names and addresses.

Seriously, if anyone can think of other venues where I can be of help in recruiting, drop me a PM and I will try and help where possible. Might as well make hay whilst the sun shines as the saying goes!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 13:00 (Ref:813042)   #11
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can just imagine the headlines in Autosport the week before the show - especially if Jimbo does a cartoon to go with it. Will you be signing autographs on the day Stephen?
Old 16 Dec 2003, 13:05 (Ref:813045)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I'm still trying to get hold of a signed copy of the original Bamber cartoon! Sheila if you want an autograph dear just ask
Old 17 Dec 2003, 01:41 (Ref:813647)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know it's Christmas, but an autographed deer? He'll be signing himself 'The Santa Catcher' next!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 07:52 (Ref:813735)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Swine...I was saving that for later. Now you have gone and spoilt the fun
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:49 (Ref:813988)   #15
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
I'm still trying to get hold of a signed copy of the original Bamber cartoon! Sheila if you want an autograph dear just ask
Perhaps if the BMMC stand has Jimbo on it again this year he could do you another one?

As for autographs, Stephen you are very kind but I have enough autographs on my first set of marshals overalls (see separate thread)!

Sheila
Old 17 Dec 2003, 13:28 (Ref:814028)   #16
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maurice Hamilton made Stephen his number 1 of out of his top 10 people this year in F1 Racing magazine as well...
Old 17 Dec 2003, 13:35 (Ref:814038)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
do they have a website Logrence?
Old 17 Dec 2003, 14:01 (Ref:814073)   #18
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
By the way Stephen, you ALSO appeared on the big screen at the FIA gala held in Monaco last weekend!!!!! Is there no end of where you crop up????????

Steve
Old 17 Dec 2003, 14:04 (Ref:814074)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well it was tough flying there and back over the weekend. Dinner with Mr and Mrs Bernie and Max. Shaking hands with the rich and famous before slumming it back in Faversham and work on Monday morning. Still, someone has to do it I guess
Old 17 Dec 2003, 14:49 (Ref:814107)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's www.itv-f1.com

It's this month's edition if you're quick...
Old 17 Dec 2003, 15:21 (Ref:814144)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Cant find it on the ITV site. More clues please
Old 17 Dec 2003, 15:28 (Ref:814152)   #22
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Me Neither!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 16:38 (Ref:814240)   #23
BigFella
Rookie

BigFella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Observer article in context

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport...106882,00.html
Old 17 Dec 2003, 16:53 (Ref:814252)   #24
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
That's a great article!
I never realised Stephen was so damned old though!!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 17:05 (Ref:814264)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Positively neolithic Mark! I tell you, I'm starting to feel it now as well