Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jan 2024, 08:53 (Ref:4191203)   #2326
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Thanks for making things clear. By the way, what is your question?
Maybe I need to work on my Quizmaster skills, I honestly thought this fairly easy, a walk in the garden, but did not notice the hidden 'garden path'.

So Montoya is the Odd-One-Out, and because he was never WDC, but apart from that, there is no odd-one-out. To make it plain; They have all won something but Montoya was never WDC as well.

Now it must be easy. - (He said)
Old 9 Jan 2024, 09:07 (Ref:4191204)   #2327
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whoa! GCCheddars beat us all to it, a PM had the right answer, so perhaps it was not that hard after all.

GC
Old 9 Jan 2024, 18:46 (Ref:4191230)   #2328
bauble
Veteran

England
Well, a disappointing lack of answers, but maybe I expect too much, two Aces will have to do;

They have all won the Indy 500, but only Montoya failed to win the WDC. Clearly not as easy as I thought, but thanks to everyone who tried.

Mick died trying out his new rowing machine.
Old 9 Jan 2024, 19:26 (Ref:4191233)   #2329
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So we were correct by saying only Montoya did not win the WDC, had no idea that you wanted to know what they all had done as well..
I'm now in the stupido club!
Old 9 Jan 2024, 20:48 (Ref:4191241)   #2330
bauble
Veteran

England
Finding an answer should be simple, just a Google away;

He held something for 32 years, what was it, who did he take it from, and who took it off him?

You may confer.
Attached Images

Last edited by bauble; 9 Jan 2024 at 20:49. Reason: Addition
Old 10 Jan 2024, 07:20 (Ref:4191266)   #2331
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Fastest GP average -Peter Gethin , BRM P160 at Monza , 1971 , 150.755mph average.

Michael Schumacher , Ferrari F2003 , also at Monza , 2003 , 153 .843mph
Old 10 Jan 2024, 08:01 (Ref:4191268)   #2332
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
So we were correct by saying only Montoya did not win the WDC, had no idea that you wanted to know what they all had done as well.. I'm now in the stupido club!
You're much welcome, Robert. As to a question regarding Monza, can you tell me which layout we're talking about… No answer needed.
Old 10 Jan 2024, 11:13 (Ref:4191288)   #2333
bauble
Veteran

England
Using the time difference to his advantage EB came up first with a perfect ten out of ten answer, including the one fact you missed Coppice in otherwise correct answer, Gethin took the record from Pedro Rodiguez who had set the record at Spa in 1970, also in the fabulous Yardley V12 BRM.
So, the often maligned marque held the record for 33 years, and on two different circuits.
The 1971 Italian Grand Prix also holds the record for the smallest winning margin 0.01 seconds, the first five cars separated by 0.06 seconds.

Well done Coppice a very speedy, correct answer, You can now leave the Stupido Club (Well until the next puzzle, at least.)

Note to GerryMo; I will work on a 'French' puzzle just for you. Bon chance.
Old 10 Jan 2024, 12:21 (Ref:4191298)   #2334
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn’t Gethin also hold the record for closest GP finish for thirty something years before the “staged” Schumacher/Barichello Ferrari finish?

I must get some bonus points for that?
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 10 Jan 2024, 15:30 (Ref:4191335)   #2335
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Didn’t Gethin also hold the record for closest GP finish for thirty something years before the “staged” Schumacher/Barichello Ferrari finish?

I must get some bonus points for that?
Will, outside my era of 'expertise' so please provide evidence to back your claim for bonus pints*. I do not doubt you are right, but I can't be seen lobbing out points just on someone's own assertion.
A winning margin of less than0.01 seconds must have taken some staging.

Bonus points will certainly be awarded as soon as the appropriate documentation is to hand, (note to Gerard; Please put a hold on 356's entry into the Club)

Bauble.
Old 10 Jan 2024, 19:31 (Ref:4191360)   #2336
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Will, outside my era of 'expertise' so please provide evidence to back your claim for bonus pints*. I do not doubt you are right, but I can't be seen lobbing out points just on someone's own assertion.
A winning margin of less than0.01 seconds must have taken some staging.

Bonus points will certainly be awarded as soon as the appropriate documentation is to hand, (note to Gerard; Please put a hold on 356's entry into the Club)

Bauble.
So Will, join the "did win but do not win Bobs competition club ".I did not get half points for my answer and looks like your not getting any either.
Travesty.
Old 10 Jan 2024, 19:32 (Ref:4191361)   #2337
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Timing to 2decimal place v 3 decimal place!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	78686
Mag 7's #60
Old 10 Jan 2024, 19:33 (Ref:4191362)   #2338
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
So Will, join the "did win but do not win Bobs competition club ".I did not get half points for my answer and looks like your not getting any either.
Travesty.
A very select club!!
Mag 7's #60
Old 10 Jan 2024, 20:39 (Ref:4191367)   #2339
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Timing to 2decimal place v 3 decimal place!

Attachment 78686
Will, never mind Old Grumpy, I think you deserve a bonus point for your answer, while not a narrower margin of victory, I think we can agree that given the discrepancy in decimal places, it is likely that Schumacher would have broken the record, although such small margins are ridiculous when a race has run for 90 minutes or so.

Well done, membership suspended sin die.

Delta, you certainly did spot that Montoya was the only one of the six not to have won the WDC, and it is the taking part that counts. I would award you a point as well, but then everyone would be demanding one. You know what a bunch of wingers we have on here.

Better luck next time.

Bob.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 01:19 (Ref:4191387)   #2340
bauble
Veteran

England
There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between these makes, what am I after?
Well that is the puzzle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4814.JPG   IMG_6597.JPG   IMG_5464.JPG  

IMG_5784.JPG   IMG_6575.JPG   IMG_8297.jpg  

Old 11 Jan 2024, 23:48 (Ref:4191528)   #2341
bauble
Veteran

England
Over a 10 hour period 325 views were recorded to this thread, yet only one person has offered an answer, well two actually, both right in one way or another, but not the FUNDAMENTAL difference I am looking for.

Well a clue to help. What is the difference between a manufacturer, and a constructor? For the sake of clarification it is the actual cars pictured that represent the key factor.

Come on chaps, have a crack, at least.

Bauble.
Old 12 Jan 2024, 00:49 (Ref:4191534)   #2342
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I put these in the same category as the cryptic crosswords that I used to watch my parents do.

I had no idea how they worked, but I found watching interesting nonetheless.
Old 12 Jan 2024, 01:11 (Ref:4191537)   #2343
bauble
Veteran

England
Well, I will admit I could, should have worded the question better, one, car is the Odd-One-Out five cars share a fundamental feature of their specification. one differs in that respect. You could add Maserati, Honda, Talbot to the list, and the question wold remain the same,.
Old 12 Jan 2024, 07:23 (Ref:4191539)   #2344
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Will, never mind Old Grumpy, I think you deserve a bonus point for your answer, while not a narrower margin of victory, I think we can agree that given the discrepancy in decimal places, it is likely that Schumacher would have broken the record, although such small margins are ridiculous when a race has run for 90 minutes or so.

Well done, membership suspended sin die.

Delta, you certainly did spot that Montoya was the only one of the six not to have won the WDC, and it is the taking part that counts. I would award you a point as well, but then everyone would be demanding one. You know what a bunch of wingers we have on here.

Better luck next time.

Bob.
This reminds me of Hogwarts and Dumbledoor dishing out the house points at end of term .Never mind move on .?
Old 12 Jan 2024, 08:37 (Ref:4191547)   #2345
bauble
Veteran

England
Congratulation to EB and GCCheddars for getting the answer right.

Red Bull is the only car to rely on a customer engine, all the rest are powered b their own.
Old 12 Jan 2024, 10:53 (Ref:4191556)   #2346
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Yeah was just about to say that!!
Mag 7's #60
Old 12 Jan 2024, 10:54 (Ref:4191557)   #2347
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
This reminds me of Hogwarts and Dumbledoor dishing out the house points at end of term .Never mind move on .?
Delta House of Wizadry nil points!
Mag 7's #60
Old 12 Jan 2024, 12:03 (Ref:4191564)   #2348
bauble
Veteran

England
Find the Odd-One-Out, and reply by PM, no showing off on the forum, please!
All winners will be publicly acknowledged on the Puzzle pages.
Now thinking caps on, brains engaged, wait for the Red Lights to go out .... you're off
Attached Thumbnails
1c5c6aa2e614fedb3c91c74ab9529051.jpg   AU577124.jpg   R (1).jpg  

StirlingMoss3.jpg   R.jpg  
Old 12 Jan 2024, 12:36 (Ref:4191565)   #2349
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Is it the most obvious odd one out, or is this a Bauble special?
Mag 7's #60
Old 12 Jan 2024, 13:25 (Ref:4191572)   #2350
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was thinking the same Will. The obvious is far too obvious for bauble.