Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayFF
Lodge.
Wasn't aware of a market at Oulton?

i know of a gate at (wait for it) Redgate at Donnington !
Old 2 Dec 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1475766)   #27
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayFF
I am always amazed by the number in the market and not in the track surely an ideal cross market:- Mum and girls shopping while Dad and son watching the cars. Donington has a market next door too in fact there is a gate between the two at Lodge.
It's been like that for about 20 years. Trouble is the markets seem to peter out in the early afternoon as the racing starts. They'd be gone by 3pm. I used to get a bit ****ed off at Snetterton. I would have loved to have raced on the old full circuit (where the markets were held) but it closed before my time.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1475813)   #28
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jminsh

Good point!

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 2 Dec 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1476002)   #29
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jminsh

I doubt it, Donnington is a ruined castle near Newbury. I think you mean Donington.
touche (with an accent over the e)
Old 3 Dec 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1476224)   #30
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like this:

touché
Old 3 Dec 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1476379)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
It doesn't always work. I got the Sun on board for an Aintree meeting in the 70s' offering "BOGOF with the voucher in the paper".
We got four vouchers redeemed. I suppose those eight people never came back, because there weren't any floppity woppity Page 3 girls present. The only tits were driving the Formula Fords.
But anything is worth a go to get the punteroonies through the gate.
I had the pleasure of competing in a Sun Free Day at Brands years ago and it was brilliant to be part of the spectacle. The place was heaving.

I read Webb's artiicle and noted reading beween the lines that he was less tham impressed with her ladyship. I remember at the time how the entry fees absolutely went through the roof during her reign.

I have been banging on about his for years and things don't change and begin to wonder if they ever will. I think one if the problems is that these days Motorsport is simply not PC enough with the continued hype over global warming and sooner or later there will those from the green lobby that will succeed in stamping it out entirely.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 07:34 (Ref:1479442)   #32
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those Sun Free Day's were brill.

Ms Foulston, in my opinion, did a lot of damage to motorsport in the UK. It was her pact with Bernie that almost lost the UK it's GP with the bickering over Silverstone, the Octagon era brought about the delapidation of everything outside of Brands Hatch, and thankfully we have Dr. Palmer issuing a prescription of modernisation and repair.

Regarding the green lobby...

The MSA should be encouraging green(er) fuels in the blue book. At the moment you have to amend the championship rules to allow alternative fuels. This should be in the blue book already.

It should say : Pump Fuel, or Bio-Ethanol, or Bio-Gas even...

Rob.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1479573)   #33
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would daft to ignore the Green Lobby. Motorsport should be seen to be doing it's bit. I'm sure all the Technology involved in the high end of the sport has led to more efficient and cleaner road cars but does Joe Public know that?
Old 8 Dec 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1479625)   #34
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This I believe will be 'the' major issue for our sport in the next few years. With the economies in China and India growing at a phenomenal rate, many new power stations being built to serve their needs, the global warming situation will only get worse, especially as the USA administration is ignoring the problem. An item in the news this week gave us only a decade before the damage done by mankind is totally irreversible.

The FIA should be acting now. The non-car-interested general public will see motorsport as helping the decline and if this perception grows, what companies would want to be associated with and sponsor a sport that is seen to be not environmentally friendly? With F1 at the pinnacle and being the public's main perception of what motorsport is through most countries ( in China and India too), it should be seen to be taking action and put racing and all competiton cars on 'green' fuel ASAP. Only my opinion of course but the whole of our industry should have concerns.
Back to topic...
Old 8 Dec 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1479696)   #35
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind (where's that?) that Motorsport has to completely change how it goes about it's business. I love the sport but it is a business as well and it seems petty useless at selling itself. If you ask "Jo Public" to name a motor race they would probably reply with the Le Mans 24 Hours, Monaco GP, Indy 500 and probably the British GP. I would suggest that NOTHING else gets a look in.

It is all down to promotion and content. The circuit owners, the clubs, the championships and the racers should all get involved in the promotion of the sport in as many ways as possible, even if that means free tickets, circuit rides, autograph sessions or publicity stunts such as the BTCC in Milton Keynes this year.

As for content. You have to cater for the family so that the man (normally) who wants to watch the racing can and the rest of the family can be fully entertained by some other means. The grids have to be full and if that means amalgamating some championships then so be it. On the bigger scale, that works for the LMES and ALMS. I've yet to go to Rockingham but a seat for everyone seems a good way to go. I'm still naffed off that the LMES at Silverstone this year was advertised as coming with a free roaming grandstand seat only to find Silverstone had closed most of them. Hardly likely to entice people back!! (I know there was a huge thread about this)

I am married with two daughters and going to a motor race never figures in their lives (thank God). On the one hand the three girls don't see cars "going round in circles" as entertainment and my wife only sees the cost of all four of us turning up for something perceived as strictly for the husband.

Nick
Old 8 Dec 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1479727)   #36
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
It should say : Pump Fuel, or Bio-Ethanol, or Bio-Gas even...
What about Hoegaarden as alternative fuel?

Er,.....(thinks again)...., better not.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1479911)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now you're taking the p!55 (yes I know its autocensor avoidance but it wouldn't be a joke without the word!).
Old 8 Dec 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1479957)   #38
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Now I know what you wanted that gas conversion gear for 59!
Old 8 Dec 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1479988)   #39
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Yeww!
Old 9 Dec 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1480564)   #40
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Now I know what you wanted that gas conversion gear for 59!
Don't tell everyone, they'll all want one.

The gas is generated from the after effects of consuming vast quanitites of Hoegaarden, baked beans, and prawn vindaloo (better than chicken).

All it takes is for the MSA to add Bio-Ethanol & Bio-Gas or LPG to the list of race legal fuels for ALL motorsport.

Championship organisers can fettle their rules to take the differences in performance into account for each fuel.

I for one am keen to have a go at Bio-ethanol.

Rob.
Old 3 May 2014, 11:02 (Ref:3401087)   #41
RossA
Rookie

RossA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this is an old post, but is anyone able to E-mail me a picture/scan of the Motorsport interview with John Webb?

Best wishes,

Ross.
Old 7 May 2014, 16:06 (Ref:3403395)   #42
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Here you are:

http://archive.motorsportmagazine.co...cember-2005/27