Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 6 Dec 2007, 13:53 (Ref:2082827)   #1
rotorboy
Rookie

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
rotorboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top Gear vs Fifth Gear

Thought I'd start this up as a bit of fun as I saw somewhere the suggestion that next year's BritCar 24hr should have teams entered from both Top Gear and Fifth Gear. Driver lineups would then be as follows:

Top Gear: Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May, The Stig

Fifth Gear: Tiff Needell, Vicky Butler-Henderson, Jason Plato, Tom Ford

Think I know who'd win...!

Come on guys, make this happen - the Battle of British Motoring Journalists starts here!!
Old 6 Dec 2007, 13:55 (Ref:2082829)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorboy
the Battle of British Motoring Journalists starts here!!
In the Marshals Forum?
Old 6 Dec 2007, 14:31 (Ref:2082853)   #3
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I think Needell and Plato would have the edge in touring car races, but in the driving-across-Northampton-in-a-self-built-aerocar races TG might sneak it.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 14:44 (Ref:2082863)   #4
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
5th Gear guys easily! 3 of them have racing license's whereas 3 of team TG would still count as novice's??
Old 6 Dec 2007, 16:16 (Ref:2082916)   #5
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think if you take out Tiff Neddell and James May, things may even themselves out a bit.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 16:47 (Ref:2082935)   #6
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark's right. Good question, wrong forum.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 18:14 (Ref:2082988)   #7
BSA Susie
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
BSA Susie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I was marshalling Top Gear would win as Fifth Gear would not finish;
I have marshalled when Tiff has been driving many times over the years, Thruxton & Goodwood, usually more than one race at each event and I have NEVER witnessed Tuff Noodle finish a race let alone win one!

Crash following his own error, crash involving someone else, mechanical breakdown, questionable lack of performance and retiring (GW Revivial this year), I've seen it all.

I met him a couple of years ago and held back from telling him this!
Old 6 Dec 2007, 19:57 (Ref:2083087)   #8
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We always refer to him as "Stiff Needle".

Remember quite a few years back when he was racing at Le Mans - team consisted of: Dad Derek Bell, Son Justin Bell and "daughter" Tiffany Bell!

Don't care who races or who wins - if it gets publicity and ultimately more marshals for the event then coverage can only be a good thing.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 20:12 (Ref:2083103)   #9
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me it would have to be Top Gear.
They just seem to have more fun and being complete idiots at the same time.

don`t get me wrong,i enjoy 5th Gear.
but it ain`t got the fun factor..

maybe the Mods could start a poll on this thread aswell
Old 6 Dec 2007, 20:55 (Ref:2083140)   #10
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSA Susie
If I was marshalling Top Gear would win as Fifth Gear would not finish;
I have marshalled when Tiff has been driving many times over the years, Thruxton & Goodwood, usually more than one race at each event and I have NEVER witnessed Tuff Noodle finish a race let alone win one!

Crash following his own error, crash involving someone else, mechanical breakdown, questionable lack of performance and retiring (GW Revivial this year), I've seen it all.

I met him a couple of years ago and held back from telling him this!

Old 6 Dec 2007, 21:17 (Ref:2083154)   #11
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
top gear and 5th gear are different types of programs really

top gear is a laugh

5th gear is a fairy serious car review program
Old 6 Dec 2007, 22:34 (Ref:2083217)   #12
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Tiff Needell once described as a "failed racing driver" Due to his apparent inability to finish, let alone finish well in races?
Old 7 Dec 2007, 07:03 (Ref:2083377)   #13
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Wasn't Tiff Needell once described as a "failed racing driver" Due to his apparent inability to finish, let alone finish well in races?
No bottle, at least its what I heard so of course thats gospel truth??????
Old 7 Dec 2007, 08:09 (Ref:2083401)   #14
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG

3rd at Le Mans 1990 (first privateer and first Porsche) is a superb achievement.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 10:35 (Ref:2083483)   #15
surrealillusion
Racer

United Kingdom
Next to my shadow
surrealillusion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
top gear for me

Purely because its fun and a laugh. Not too many programmes around nowadays that do what they want, ignoring the political correctness brigade..well..actually telling them f-off which is even better

Surreal Illusions Motorsport Photography
Old 7 Dec 2007, 18:46 (Ref:2083839)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Despite the apparent advantage in experienced racers, I'm not so sure the 5th Gear team would win.

As already pointed out, Tiffany hasn't finished a race since about 1973 (and wouldn't finish this one either after being "accidentally" shunted by Clarkson).

Obviously Plato is top class, but so's The Stig.

I bet Hammond's quicker than VBH (certainly on the straights...).

Which leaves Tom Ford and James May ... both of whom are likely to offer little more than being a mobile chicane for everyone else (including the safety car).
Old 9 Dec 2007, 18:21 (Ref:2084966)   #17
blueoval
Rookie

England
suffolk
blueoval should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you see seat letting plato take part at that point of the season. If so topgear should take on matt neal and make it evan more interesting.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 05:00 (Ref:2086203)   #18
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a question... Is James May really that slow?

Does someone have the Fastest Lap times for the four of them after the BritCar 24hrs at Silverstone to compare?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 11 Dec 2007, 09:58 (Ref:2086334)   #19
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I should think James May is a perfectly competent driver when he needs to be. I doubt his laps were much (if any) slower than Hammond and Clarkson.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 13:32 (Ref:2086497)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The results and lap chart are on MST if you are interested - http://www.msttiming.com/eerc/2007/73663.pdf

Best time was 2m 16.298s on lap 2. The rest of Stig's stint was in the 2:18-2:19 range. I forget who went out for the second stint but times were a good 10 secs a lap slower.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 11:05 (Ref:2087130)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think James got down to 2.24s,really not that bad,first ever race-first time at Sliverstone etc.In fact I think all three of them were within a second or so of that time.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2473387)   #22
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I should think James May is a perfectly competent driver when he needs to be. I doubt his laps were much (if any) slower than Hammond and Clarkson.
To quote the man himself "I don't drive fast unless it is absolutly nesscary because I'm a gentleman."
Old 7 Jul 2009, 00:10 (Ref:2496964)   #23
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fifth Gear was more enjoyable when they weren't trying to be Top Gear.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 13:45 (Ref:2498972)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
To quote the man himself "I don't drive fast unless it is absolutly nesscary because I'm a gentleman."

In front of the cameras,may-be.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2501880)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I know someone who was in the audience when Lewis Hamilton was on Top Gear and he reckoned James May was the only one of the three who came across as not being too full of his own importance. He's a good judge of that sort of thing.