Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Apr 2016, 18:02 (Ref:3630317)   #76
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny you should mention the marshal, just seen it again on Tom Oliphant's Facebook page. Were any members of the orange army from here on duty at Brands? How did it happen, because it could've been very, very nasty indeed if he had tripped as he almost did.

Terrifying at the time, but still scary watching it back
Old 4 Apr 2016, 18:54 (Ref:3630324)   #77
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Using only the indy circuit does compress the people but i would say the attendance was very good and up on last year for sure
Old 4 Apr 2016, 20:24 (Ref:3630350)   #78
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Funny you should mention the marshal, just seen it again on Tom Oliphant's Facebook page. Were any members of the orange army from here on duty at Brands? How did it happen, because it could've been very, very nasty indeed if he had tripped as he almost did.

Terrifying at the time, but still scary watching it back
Jesus. Maybe this Marshall should google Tom Pryce. .......
Old 4 Apr 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3630355)   #79
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Jesus. Maybe this Marshall should google Tom Pryce. .......

When I saw the marshal on track with the cars bearing down on here, I was really worried we could see another sickening incident. And I would have expected it in a foreign country, but not with the British marshals
Old 4 Apr 2016, 22:19 (Ref:3630377)   #80
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The standard of marshalling at touring car meetings is generally very poor. Most of them do BTCC and that's it. They also allow far too many of them when other meetings across the country are struggling badly for numbers.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 08:13 (Ref:3630454)   #81
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Just how young was the podium for race 3? The new generation are here.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 09:01 (Ref:3630464)   #82
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched all three races on ITV 4 for the first time for many years and have to say it was pretty entertaining.

I don't really like the new breed of Touring Car Shopping Trolleys - I come from the days of Rover SD1s, BMW 635Csi etc etc etc - but the level of competition was up to a really high standard and something happening at almost every corner. Thought that the TV coverage was pretty comprehensive but the commentating does begin to grate after a while but at least you knew what was going on all the time.

Certainly more entertaining fayre that what was served up from Bahrain - but I guess that is hardly surprising these days!

35 - 40 GT3s into Paddock should be pretty entertaining in May though!
Old 5 Apr 2016, 09:03 (Ref:3630467)   #83
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nostalgia. Not what it used to be.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 11:12 (Ref:3630492)   #84
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Alan Gow is missing a trick by not having some sort of GT race as a support, something like GT Cup. Would be great to see something different anyway.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 11:42 (Ref:3630498)   #85
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
I think Alan Gow is missing a trick by not having some sort of GT race as a support
You mean like the Ginetta GT4 Supercup or Porsche Carrera Cup?
Old 5 Apr 2016, 13:53 (Ref:3630518)   #86
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The crowd at BTCC meetings aren't the type who want to sit through longer races, so totally wrong sort of meeting for 50 minute GT races (to use GT Cup as an example).

They struggle enough to sit through Carrera Cup which in reality is only slightly longer than the touring car races.

My suggestion would be to swap some of the BTCC/British GT categories around, for example Ginetta GT5 Challenge or VW Cup swapping with Carerra Cup or Ginetta GT's.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 13:58 (Ref:3630522)   #87
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I like the idea of a 'guest' series appearing at selected rounds - something that BTCC races, it was great when the ST's were a support race last year.

Doesn't even need to be racing, could be some 90's early oo's F1 demo or demo from the old Group A Rovers, Capri's, etc. Demo's easier to timetable and slot in than races.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 15:14 (Ref:3630534)   #88
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yes, it does need to be racing. There are plenty of meetings across the country with demos and various other padding if that's your thing.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 19:04 (Ref:3630570)   #89
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks like Rob Austin already made fun of someone

in race 3 grid interview he said "race 1 I just didn't quite have enough pace to overtake Plato and his massive rear wheel drive advantage"

with a grin

Kostenloses Bilderhosting

Last edited by porsche962fan; 5 Apr 2016 at 19:18.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 19:13 (Ref:3630573)   #90
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Demo's at BTCC.....No,no,no.
And the same goes for grid walks mid programme, once the racing has started, give the crowd what they want........racing.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 20:30 (Ref:3630597)   #91
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
looks like Rob Austin already made fun of someone

in race 3 grid interview he said "race 1 I just didn't quite have enough pace to overtake Plato and his massive rear wheel drive advantage"

with a grin

Kostenloses Bilderhosting
#obsessed!
Old 5 Apr 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3630606)   #92
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Races online now on the ITV website

http://www.itv.com/btcc/races/watch-...atch-indy-2016
Thanks for the link.

Good racing this weekend.

Surprised by Aron Smith/BKR/VW Passat. Very good result despite the old spec stuff.
Finally it looks positive for Welch. Happy for them.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 06:17 (Ref:3630648)   #93
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
Demo's at BTCC.....No,no,no.
And the same goes for grid walks mid programme, once the racing has started, give the crowd what they want........racing.
It depends what the demos are, old F1 cars with V12s then yes. 20 year old battered MR2s then no
Old 6 Apr 2016, 06:34 (Ref:3630650)   #94
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A demo with a 20-year old V12 F1 car being carefully driven at low revs isn't much fun either. Unfortunately that's often what happens...
Old 6 Apr 2016, 08:24 (Ref:3630659)   #95
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Surprised by Aron Smith/BKR/VW Passat. Very good result despite the old spec stuff.
Yes, me too, but perhaps as the season progresses the car/team could slip backwards as others get up to speed with the new parts.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 09:57 (Ref:3630674)   #96
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finally managed to see the races last night. Great stuff all around, but I was seriously annoyed by Jordans "Matt-Neal-style-push-to-pass" moves on the MG's in race 2. A couple more of those and he'll have lost my sympathy.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 10:34 (Ref:3630680)   #97
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
In one of them I think the car in front ran so wide that Jordan had to go for it
Old 6 Apr 2016, 10:49 (Ref:3630686)   #98
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was stood in the paddock just before Surtees, so had a clear view of the steward in real time. It really wasn't as close as the TV footage seemed to show, but it was still a daft move.

Haven't finished watching the TV coverage so don't know if it was picked up on, but Smiley's driving of a very bent Toyota in Race 1 was a joy to watch live, it seemed to be crabbing on the straights and smokily drifting through Surtees every lap was great to see!

I recommend a trip to the Racehub sim race center at the back of the grandstand during a race weekend as well, I ended up on the leaderboard of top times over the weekend!
Old 6 Apr 2016, 14:24 (Ref:3630726)   #99
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, certainly one of the most enjoyable and competitive season openers I've seen for a while. Couple of drivers impressed me as well as the obvious ones (what a debut Ash Sutton), Jake Hill was really hustling that old Avensis round and you could really tell the difference between his car and Tingrams when they were together, it looked a real handful. Hunter Abbott had a good showing for his first time out in a FWD touring car, would've loved to see an experienced quick driver in with him at PMR this season.

Taken me a couple days to manage to watch all the races from Sunday, the whole Toca package looks like it's going to be great this year with some great opening races from all the formula.

We really are in a true golden age for the sport at the moment IMO. I was brought up on Super Touring and I really think the current era is just as enjoyable as back then (though the cars don't sound as good). 8 hours tv coverage is just amazing as well, I can't imagine there are many other series in the world that enjoy this kind of exposure. Although my TiVo box is starting to feel the strain. To think I used to live off half an hour of highlights once a fortnight when I was a kid!
Old 7 Apr 2016, 18:10 (Ref:3630988)   #100
S griffin
Veteran

One thing I forgot to mention, was before the show Gow was asked about if he would spice up quali and he sensibly said something about let the drivers set the team, then let them race from that. Shows he knows which is more important the Race