Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 May 2020, 07:28 (Ref:3978843)   #1
DiMaestro
Rookie

United States
DiMaestro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Show me why to care about Indy

Hi - kind of a provocative title I know. I live in North Dakota and have been a F1 fan since 2014? or so.

I've always poo'pooed indy. I don't know why.

Tell me why I'm wrong? I live about 9 hours away from Road America, I love racing, single seat, MotoGP, Sprints, etc. I just never got into big American racing, Indy or Nascar.

Show me something cool. Show me a cool race. I don't *want* to see giant accidents, I don't want to see people being hurt. I want to see good driving.

*** Edit look, I know everyone things I'm messing with you all, but I'm not. I'm seriously interested in Indy, and trying to find a way to enjoy it.

Last edited by DiMaestro; 28 May 2020 at 07:39.
Old 28 May 2020, 16:58 (Ref:3978962)   #2
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you're interested, head over to the IndyCar Youtube channel.
From what I can see they've got all recent Indy 500s, and probably other races as well.
I'd avoid the 2019 Indy 500 though, I found it fairly dull.
Old 29 May 2020, 13:33 (Ref:3979159)   #3
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.youtube.com/user/indycars
Old 29 May 2020, 20:10 (Ref:3979240)   #4
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't have the link in front of me, but I seem to remember the races from the past couple of years at Road America were quite good. Maybe I think that track is fantastic, but the Indycars there were fast and lots of overtaking.
Old 30 May 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3979308)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I was first wanting to plant a vegetable garden, the first rule was don't plant something you're going to have to force yourself to eat, so don't force yourself to consume Indy.

Over the years, I've moved away from F1 b/c of it's shenanigans and what I feel is a complete lack of character. Indy is more of a pure racing series, with a better variety of tracks and drivers, imho.

To each their own.
Old 30 May 2020, 22:14 (Ref:3979367)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I used to be an F1 fan when it was exciting,but now days its as dull as ditch water.
Indycars much more interesting to watch,especially the Indy 500.
F1 has really disassociated from its fans over the years,its sort of a Billionaire Boys Club these days.
Indycars are much more inclusive,plus theres a Kiwi who wins a lot and another Kiwi who's about to join and will do even more winning....
Old 30 May 2020, 22:39 (Ref:3979369)   #7
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's almost impossible to compare drivers in different series, but I would argue it is fair to say
The top 10 Indycar drivers, would certainly do no worse than a Perez type in F1
The top 20 Indycar drivers could all aim for a podium at some stage during an Indy season

It's not quite perfect IMO, but the series is trying to walk the line between spec racing and a manufacturer arms race

Even at a high level, you've got 3 types of track - Street, Road, Oval and there is no Singabore or dry weather Monaco; hell even the corporate jewels retain the rough around the edges feel on track

If you are an F1 fan, then start off avoiding oval races in full - but watch some highlights (or have it on in the background) and that'll either hook you or it won't
Old 31 May 2020, 05:17 (Ref:3979385)   #8
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm an indycar fan, watch every race. The indy 500 is one my less favorite races. I like the road and street courses most, but enjoy the ovals, too. The shorter ovals seem to make for the best oval races though. Actually, the last few years both indy and pocono have become more interesting to me, (more fascinating than interesting, really) because you can really sense the danger. Not necessarily a good thing, but the sense of danger and risk seems to have gone up in recent years, with bourdais' accident and even worse at pocono. It makes it both hard to watch and hard to look away at every pass or two wide situation. It isn't the history or pageantry that gets me into the 500, it's just those tense moments.

I also don't want to see wrecks and injuries. But seeing those and the consequences makes the race so much more intense. That's what the 500 is to me now, intense. Not my favorite race, but intense and a little scary.

So maybe, don't worry if indy isn't at the top of your list of indycar races. But watch some of the wrecks like bourdais of late and the consequences of them, then watch the side by side racing and cars getting loose in the corners and maybe you'll be holding your breath multiple times a lap next time you watch it! Then look forward to the even better indycar events (imo) at road America, watkins glen, detroit, st Pete, etc....
Old 31 May 2020, 17:50 (Ref:3979502)   #9
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMaestro View Post
Hi - kind of a provocative title I know. I live in North Dakota and have been a F1 fan since 2014? or so.

Tell me why I'm wrong? I live about 9 hours away from Road America, I love racing, single seat, MotoGP, Sprints, etc. I just never got into big American racing, Indy or Nascar.

Show me something cool. Show me a cool race. I don't *want* to see giant accidents, I don't want to see people being hurt. I want to see good driving.

*** Edit look, I know everyone things I'm messing with you all, but I'm not. I'm seriously interested in Indy, and trying to find a way to enjoy it.

My dear chap, it's only 2 days drive from your state capital to Indy , or a cheap flight, so go and see for yourself ? Watching it on TV is , y'know, just watching TV .

This Limey went 4000 miles to see if NASCAR lived up to its reputation
Old 31 May 2020, 17:59 (Ref:3979503)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

As you're 9 hours away from Road America, why not go to either, or even both, of the two races they are holding this year on July 11 and 12 because of the revised calendar?
Old 1 Jun 2020, 01:49 (Ref:3979542)   #11
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I'm an indycar fan, watch every race. The indy 500 is one my less favorite races. I like the road and street courses most, but enjoy the ovals, too. The shorter ovals seem to make for the best oval races though. Actually, the last few years both indy and pocono have become more interesting to me, (more fascinating than interesting, really) because you can really sense the danger. Not necessarily a good thing, but the sense of danger and risk seems to have gone up in recent years, with bourdais' accident and even worse at pocono. It makes it both hard to watch and hard to look away at every pass or two wide situation. It isn't the history or pageantry that gets me into the 500, it's just those tense moments.

I also don't want to see wrecks and injuries. But seeing those and the consequences makes the race so much more intense. That's what the 500 is to me now, intense. Not my favorite race, but intense and a little scary.

So maybe, don't worry if indy isn't at the top of your list of indycar races. But watch some of the wrecks like bourdais of late and the consequences of them, then watch the side by side racing and cars getting loose in the corners and maybe you'll be holding your breath multiple times a lap next time you watch it! Then look forward to the even better indycar events (imo) at road America, watkins glen, detroit, st Pete, etc....
You described my indy watching experience pretty well here! Especially the parts about watching the side by side, lots of passing, and holding your breath. I find i am on the edge of my seat more with Indycars than any other type of racing. You just don't know what is going to happen from one race to the next. Sure there are a few drivers who have been at the top the last few years, but the racing throughout the pack is just great. And as was said earlier in the thread, there are 20 guys who can be on the podium, and with the close racing there can be touches and spins in the lead pack which allows for some of the 10-20 place guys to sneak up and move through. Plus there are always people on different strategy for fuel and tires, so you might get a guy on an alternate strategy catching a yellow at the right time and keeping his lead to the checkered.

In addition to the old guard, there has been a constant stream of new young talent, and guys from F1/sportscars coming in the last few years. It just makes it all the more interesting for me to see how they get along in the setting.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 11:11 (Ref:3979601)   #12
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
My dear chap, it's only 2 days drive from your state capital to Indy , or a cheap flight, so go and see for yourself ? Watching it on TV is , y'know, just watching TV .

This Limey went 4000 miles to see if NASCAR lived up to its reputation
I've always found motorsport one the few sports that is actually better on TV than being in attendance. Once the novelty of being there wears off you realise how little you actually see compared to the TV.

Apart from short oval racing of course
Old 1 Jun 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3979644)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarfanLUFC View Post
I've always found motorsport one the few sports that is actually better on TV than being in attendance. Once the novelty of being there wears off you realise how little you actually see compared to the TV.

get a seat at the bottom of turn 1 at indy (or any oval for that matter) and tell me its better on TV! you may poop you pants though!

i am also a huge F1 fan but attending the Indy 500 turned me around on the series.

i am saddened that it might be a while before such large scale public events happen again and i am bored with stuff on tv...i need the real thing!
Old 1 Jun 2020, 16:52 (Ref:3979664)   #14
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
If you're interested, head over to the IndyCar Youtube channel.
From what I can see they've got all recent Indy 500s, and probably other races as well.
I'd avoid the 2018 Indy 500 though, I found it fairly dull.
Surely that is what you meant to say.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 17:40 (Ref:3979672)   #15
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Well, if a 2D image, terrible sound , only watching stuff which TV companies actually show , seeing only what the director decides to show you ,with the added distraction of being in your living room and 'y'know, not actually being there? , is your thing , then fine. And if you think that enjoyment of the sport is confined to the fight for the top few places , and that wandering around the paddock , talking to people and watching cars being worked on is not for you that is fine too .

The visceral hit you get by , for example , standing feet away from a Top Fuel dragster, an F1 car at full belt , a NASCAR brute thundering past at 190mph or a pack of ducking and diving F3 cars at the first corner is not something which TV can even remotely convey .

Having watched live motorsport since 1968 in UK , Europe and the USA the novelty has yet to wear off for me ...

Last edited by coppice; 1 Jun 2020 at 17:45.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 17:46 (Ref:3979675)   #16
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I doubt Indy is better to watch on TV than being there, but they do do great TV coverage. So actually being there is probably a bonus. It’s a great show Indy. I guess it depends what floats your boat, but the Indy 500 is still the greatest spectacle in racing. It’s worth the Indycar season alone
Old 1 Jun 2020, 19:19 (Ref:3979687)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

They each have their pros and cons. Obviously on TV you see the whole track but what you don't get is the atmosphere, as the cars come around after the parade lap, set up on the grid and wait for lights out. Both IndyCar and sports cars have rolling starts but still, when they come round that last time it's pretty exhilarating, particularly Indy as they are at full throttle before they hit Turn 1 and noise is incredible.
Old 1 Jun 2020, 19:30 (Ref:3979694)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I doubt Indy is better to watch on TV than being there, but they do do great TV coverage. So actually being there is probably a bonus. It’s a great show Indy. I guess it depends what floats your boat, but the Indy 500 is still the greatest spectacle in racing. It’s worth the Indycar season alone
It depends where you sit at Indy. I went to the 100th running, still have my ticket but the view I had from my seat in the main stand, opposite the pits wasn't brilliant. There was a big TV screen opposite but from where I was sitting it was more like the size of the TV screen at home. However, it was absolutely worth it but whether it is the greatest spectacle in racing, I'm not so sure. I think Le Mans can easily challenge the 500.
Old 2 Jun 2020, 04:37 (Ref:3979716)   #19
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It depends where you sit at Indy. I went to the 100th running, still have my ticket but the view I had from my seat in the main stand, opposite the pits wasn't brilliant. There was a big TV screen opposite but from where I was sitting it was more like the size of the TV screen at home. However, it was absolutely worth it but whether it is the greatest spectacle in racing, I'm not so sure. I think Le Mans can easily challenge the 500.
Ix argue any event where you're in an assigned seat or stuck in one location at a race is not close to the greatest spectacle in racing. Le mans would work for that answer, obviously. I get tons of mileage in walking tracks when I go. Two laps around sebring for the 12 hour was the routine when I went. Sebring.... now that is a spectacle....
Old 2 Jun 2020, 06:14 (Ref:3979719)   #20
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Hear hear -most spectators don't have a clue how to watch racing . They turn up late ,plonk themselves at one point on the track and don't move until it's home time , except to buy more dogburgers .

Typically, I'll walk 10-15 000 steps at a race meeting, and a lot more at Silverstone ....
Old 2 Jun 2020, 10:23 (Ref:3979767)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Ix argue any event where you're in an assigned seat or stuck in one location at a race is not close to the greatest spectacle in racing. Le mans would work for that answer, obviously. I get tons of mileage in walking tracks when I go. Two laps around sebring for the 12 hour was the routine when I went. Sebring.... now that is a spectacle....
I used to go to Brands Hatch a lot back in the day and if you were in one of the stands along the top straight, you got a very good view of the Indy Circuit. When they had Group C races there, I used to walk round the track with my camera.
Old 2 Jun 2020, 12:44 (Ref:3979814)   #22
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Hear hear -most spectators don't have a clue how to watch racing . They turn up late ,plonk themselves at one point on the track and don't move until it's home time , except to buy more dogburgers .

Typically, I'll walk 10-15 000 steps at a race meeting, and a lot more at Silverstone ....
I'm with you. I get around, if you know what I mean, as much as possible. But I've been waaaaaay out of shape. Fixing that so I can move about at tracks more in the future, but dogburgers sound delicious!! So we'll see how that goes....
Old 3 Jun 2020, 06:33 (Ref:3979910)   #23
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If you want to get interested into Indycar there isnt something i can tell you that will get you instantly interested. Formula racing just isnt the type of sport that gets you hooked with 1 or 2 clips imo.

However if you sincerely want to try to get interested in Indycar then my advice is quite simple:
'Invest' an evening on the couch with a beer and an ipad, and visit the Indycar Youtube channel and watch the first 4 to 6 races of the 2019 season via the Fast Forward vids.

The channel has a serie called '2019 Fast Forward: Each race in 30 minutes'.
I like these videos because these are longer vids compared to your normal race highlights (30 minutes compard to 5 or 10 minutes), the FF serie gives a great way to see the highlight actions but also get to see the impact of race tactics and get to know most of the drivers. The normal highlights are simply to short for that.

It will take you 2 to 3 hours of watching the first 4 to 6 races and after that you will have a good understanding if you like the racing and you will also have a good understanding of who is in the series and might even start to get some interest in certain drivers.

A link to the FF playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja1j...2YYKdu-0OwcwpR
Old 3 Jun 2020, 08:45 (Ref:3979932)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
True, Indycar can be hard to follow at times. But once you get into it, it's fun to watch. The Indy 500 will always be the main event, but the other races have proven that it can produce exciting racing anywhere. Check out those races on YouTube, it will prepare you for the season ahead
Old 9 Jun 2020, 13:41 (Ref:3980984)   #25
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been a Formula 1 fan since 2010, I think I haven't missed a race, and I honestly don't know why anyone _must_ watch IndyCar in addition to F1. There are weekends in between those two week or three week long breaks between F1 races when there isn't much else to watch, and then I guess I can watch an IndyCar race, although I personally would advise the bored, but nonetheless time limited, people to catch a MotoGP race instead. Now, _that_ is really exciting.

The quality of IndyCar racing nowadays is of course subpar to F1. Notice how IndyCar dropped standing race starts? That's because Indy drivers can't start a race from stand without at least one of them stalling on the track. They just can't do it. It was a disaster when they tried it.

There used to be a time, 20-40 years ago, when IndyCar had lots of quality drivers, and top Formula 1 teams could hire a young IndyCar driver straight into a top F1 car seat. There were too many to mention. F1 champions without any feeling of embarrassment switched between F1 and IndyCar at will. But today, do you see any F1 teams hiring an IndyCar driver? No. Do you see even a mid-level F1 driver switching to IndyCar? No of course. They used to go to DTM, WEC, and the like. These days, many of F1 dropouts end up in Formula E. Almost no one comes to IndyCar (and please don't mention Alonso, the guy tried to race ONLY in Indy 500, not the whole season).

What are the other reasons IndyCar sucks? How about up to seven full course cautions on a road track? Guys, please. If somebody was foolish enough to lose his car to kitty litter, then just continue the race. Don't stop the whole f-ing race for ten minutes just so the sob's car can be rescued back to the race track, restarted, and joined back into the race two laps down. Ridiculous.