Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Sep 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3450232)   #1
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Deux Tours d'Horloge - Paul Ricard - 5/7 September

Just received a surprise invitation to co-drive my brother-in-law's Lister Jaguar in the 24 hour race at Paul Ricard this week-end! I was not even aware that it was happening until the call came...
Of course we do not expect to go very far, but you never know!
The race is called "Deux Tours d'Horloge" however they do not specify if it is the hour hand or the minute hand... we should be lucky if it's the minute hand.
I already drove this race several times, including the very first year, that time in a special bodied XK120C (Barou). I have also done it in the car I am supposed to be driving this week-end. It should be quite exciting, but I will be taking it very easy. Organized by VdV, like the previous editions.
Marcus
Old 7 Sep 2014, 15:42 (Ref:3451048)   #2
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was too optimistic! It was the second hand that went the two times around the clock! We qualified with a slipping clutch, changing it made us start the race 6 hours late and then we only did 4 laps before the head gasket failed (the fan belt had come off in night time qualifying and car overheated). Only 20 cars or so started, and I think it will be the last time VDV organises such a race.
Old 8 Sep 2014, 20:29 (Ref:3451338)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
I was too optimistic! It was the second hand that went the two times around the clock! We qualified with a slipping clutch, changing it made us start the race 6 hours late and then we only did 4 laps before the head gasket failed (the fan belt had come off in night time qualifying and car overheated). Only 20 cars or so started, and I think it will be the last time VDV organises such a race.
That's a great shame Marcus.

It cannot be easy these days trying to find cars that are spared from other events at this time of year. To find owners who are willing and financially amenable to prepare and run a car for such a duration must be getting difficult - especially as if seems to be something of a National event and, one assumes, the days of attendance would count against those who may have taken their lives out of the Country to avoid Hollande's taxes.

Perhaps those who feel able and willing to support the entire season might be allowed to build copies of their cars? At least that would solve problems of preparation time, racing calendar schedule clashes and so on. Just race each car on alternate weeks/months or whatever the schedule demands.

An added benefit might be that it would provide (and encourage?) preparation time that a poor old maybe overworked Historic car might not always get until until something catastrophic happens, at which point it disappears for a few years for a rebuild..