Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Oct 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2781073)   #26
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Very underwhelmed by the BTCC finals at Brands, what is all the fuss about?
Totally agree - my partner and I left half way through the afternoon, after saying "what the hell are we doing here?" and went to the Rising Sun.

Despite the weather, Spa was magical as always.....a bit of 'name dropping' but having dinner with Bobby Rahal was an experience not to be forgotten.

The recent trip with Masters to Portimao and Monteblanco was great with 25 degrees when the weather map of UK said 0.....and the stunt plane up main straight with less ground clearance than some of the cars.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2782003)   #27
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Favourites
Event, Le Mans Classic. (The experience is beyond coherent explanation.)
Circuit. Monza. (Spent three days thinking "Bloody Hell This is Quick")
Organisers. HSCC
Series. GTSCC

Best Competitor facilities. Paul Ricard
Best "Crack" Oulton Park Gold Cup. (Great truck party)
Friendliest. Croft.

The poorest competitor facilities were Monza. How Bernie can criticise Silverstone is beyond me. he obviously has never experienced "Camping Parabolica"
Award for the Oustanding "Wasted opportunity" :- Silverstone Classic.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2782289)   #28
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

"
Award for the Oustanding "Wasted opportunity" :- Silverstone Classic.[/QUOTE]
Ohh I second that
Old 2 Nov 2010, 17:58 (Ref:2784107)   #29
lagedor
Rookie

France
France
lagedor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best meetings, our at Dijon, maybe I am a little bit too much involved...
Old 2 Nov 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2784151)   #30
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Classic,

Brilliant except the toilet facilities on the camp sites and as I was with senior management that was a bit of an issue. It was like the Le Mans 24 hour of old, everybody enjoying themselves and none of the yobs. Apologies to John R as we were volunteer helpers but got lost in the crowd and heat. It was none stop racing and cars of every era.

Donington Revived,

A real sense of coming back from the brink, we were only there for the Sunday but relly good to be back at Donington.

Steve
Old 2 Nov 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2784186)   #31
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagedor View Post
Best meetings, our at Dijon, maybe I am a little bit too much involved...
Dijon is a special circuit as its one of the few tracks that has not been spoilt by adding a chicane or hairpin.Lets hope it stays that way.Any chance of loosing the band at the BBQ so i can have a good old natter and hear what people are saying.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2784202)   #32
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
As a spectator, LMC was great, maybe too hot but the cars were fantastic and meeting up with and listening to Radio Le Mans was great and they really did a good job at the first time of being at LMC.

Le Mans goes without saying but is not historic

Being involved with Donington revived was one of the highlights, was soo good to see that circuit alive again from the sorry YouTube video earlier in the year. The Masters Historic festival at Brands in May was great to clerk and the highlight of that was hearing that John Grant was ok (big sigh )

But the highlight for me (as you all will know and understand) was 360. I know there was only eight cars and that some would have seen it as a failure, but it wasn't , the people who were there knew it wasn't and standing on the grid looking back at the eight cars ready to go was very emotional for me.

It was and still is the highlight of the year for me and I'm very proud of what we achieved.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 21:38 (Ref:2784211)   #33
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
It was and still is the highlight of the year for me and I'm very proud of what we achieved.
..........And so you should be!!! Can't wait till the 30th April!!!

Terry
Old 3 Nov 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2784382)   #34
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
But the highlight for me (as you all will know and understand) was 360. I know there was only eight cars and that some would have seen it as a failure, but it wasn't , the people who were there knew it wasn't and standing on the grid looking back at the eight cars ready to go was very emotional for me.

As Terry has rightly said "so you should be". We would all still be bouncing this around the forum had it not been for your single minded determination to get the 360 off the ground, both as a recognised organising club and as an event with a future. Worth mentioning (just in case nobody has 'clocked' the removal of the word 'probationary' from your signature block ) that you also achieved your full C of C licence so Well Done for both
Old 4 Nov 2010, 00:11 (Ref:2784679)   #35
Martin O
Rookie

Ireland
London
Martin O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMartin O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
too many to chose from

Last edited by Martin O; 4 Nov 2010 at 00:28.
Old 4 Nov 2010, 01:21 (Ref:2784711)   #36
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin O View Post
too many to chose from
Lucky you....well thats a highlight in itself!
Old 6 Nov 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2785713)   #37
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well thats its for me this year as i said 750 mile Nurburgring cancelled.Its been a special yearfor me,Monaco with my beloved March that i have owned for nearly 30 years,Silverstone Classic driving Jan Beikens Sharknose 156 Ferrari,than away from racing the fantasic responce we had from everyone at the Stoke Row Festival of Speed.The one event that keeps comming back is Monza which was my first time of racing there.It was just wonderfull comming out of the first chicane heading off around the Curva Grande winding up the little climax engined Lotus 17 then around to the Lesmo corners through the trees crashing of the kirbs at Ascari knowing that the Parabolica awaits just awsom.The drive was made all the better as i had a great battle with a couple of Lotus 11's and passed the last one to take the class win with a lap to go. All this with a hang over as well.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2785788)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
For me it was the busiest season to date. 12 events, 18 races. Probably never to be repeated. 2 DNFs, hopefully also never to be repeated!

Of the 12 events, most memorable has to be the 360MC Snetterton 6hrs- for all the right reasons.

Biggest challenge- Tour Britannia. Just hope I can afford to do it again sometime. Gilbern finishing 11th o/a and winning on Index of Performance- way beyond any result imagined!

Best race meeting- May HSCC Silverstone GP. Ironically on same circuit, worst race meeting- Silverstone Classic, although had two very enjoyable races.

Best new (to me) circuit- Dijon and Oulton equally.

Highest level of concentration- Spa GD. 2 hrs on a track with less grip than most skid-pans.

Highest level of perspiration- Monteblanco GD. 2hrs on a tight, twisty track in a car demanding big input.

Most enjoyable car- whichever happen to be in.

Best adventure- Portimao and Monteblanco trip. Great fun in great company. What it is all about.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2785910)   #39
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Of course, your opinion counts. You get mine, whether you like it or not, and I'm not a driver! However as the thread title indicates, it was your favourite(s) from this year, I was looking for.

I guess we could start a thread about our favourite Historic meeting of all time, but I'd really struggle to nail just one (or even several) down.
Sorry John, own little world as usual, Revival has to be, the Classic has made headway, but far too much wasted space in the main paddock. Le Mans, yes but perhaps the memories of too many long dreary wet nights dampen it slightly...
Old 6 Nov 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2785982)   #40
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
You know Stuart.and im being serios!!!."you should write a book" much the same as Alf Francis.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2786333)   #41
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
You know Stuart.and im being serios!!!."you should write a book" much the same as Alf Francis.
Mmmm, not so sure Iain, having been ever so slightly involved with Dick Salmons book, A Mechanic's Tale getting the 'jotting's' published tends to cause headaches the like of which were never caused by the 'job'.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2794261)   #42
DAYTONASME
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oulton Park's my local
DAYTONASME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Event of the Year...a close call between both Goodwood's, Alfa's FOS centenary, almost outdone by Andrew Smith (incl a new lap record) and Roger Wills Revival tussle, in the "Big banger race".

Drive of the year - Andrew Smith (above), closely followed by Roger Wills in his Cooper at Spa.

Disappointment of the year...the Silverstone Classic, still not a patch on how it was 20 yrs ago

Memory of the year -Luis Garcao, "grazing" the start/finish line at Portimao, in his Pitts, whilst I was trying to announce the podium for the U2TC ....and he went past my right ear!

Enthusiast of the year - def Roger Wills, for all his toys he moved around Europe during the season, closely followed by Don and Patrick Orosco's 3 Scarab's at Goodwood and Spa and the Minshaw's success at Spa and elsewhere.

Ed
Old 23 Nov 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2794688)   #43
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYTONASME View Post
Event of the Year...a close call between both Goodwood's, Alfa's FOS centenary, almost outdone by Andrew Smith (incl a new lap record) and Roger Wills Revival tussle, in the "Big banger race".

Drive of the year - Andrew Smith (above), closely followed by Roger Wills in his Cooper at Spa.

Disappointment of the year...the Silverstone Classic, still not a patch on how it was 20 yrs ago

Memory of the year -Luis Garcao, "grazing" the start/finish line at Portimao, in his Pitts, whilst I was trying to announce the podium for the U2TC ....and he went past my right ear!

Enthusiast of the year - def Roger Wills, for all his toys he moved around Europe during the season, closely followed by Don and Patrick Orosco's 3 Scarab's at Goodwood and Spa and the Minshaw's success at Spa and elsewhere.

Ed
Very kind!

Old 1 Dec 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2798144)   #44
car35
Rookie

United Kingdom
east anglia
car35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a good year with the car more reliable but the driver still needs to improve.

Most Enjoyable Meet. Would be Heritage race at the Lotus Festival 40,000 people and Lotus 72's! On the Saturday had a great battle with John Wilson MGBv8 in wet. Managed to get past and pull away only to spin two laps before the end, in the lead and end up in the gravel.
Most embarrising moment. Jack Sears finding me in the awning to express his disapointment of the Cobra not winning above race.
Most Challenging. 6 hours in TR4 in wet and dark in someone elses car!
Most rewarding. Heritage Silverstone GP. Started at back (too noisy..again) and finished second in front of usual partner Cheng despite gearbox issues.