Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Jan 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3355155)   #26
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Silverstone Classic is by far the best meeting of the year and the price is the price. The entry fees are a bit high but that's only a small part of the annual cost of racing so I don't worry about it. Also it includes the bands and the fair and quite a few tickets so I think it's very good.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3355171)   #27
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Goodwood,Le Mans Classic,Oldtimers,Spa (any of them)

Interesting debate.

Which one is best?

Think it depends on your age and what you consider historic racing.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 20:44 (Ref:3355375)   #28
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also have a question: I am desperate to go to the classic this year but can probably only do one day. Saturday or Sunday, which is better or is there minimal difference?
Old 17 Jan 2014, 20:49 (Ref:3355379)   #29
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a spectator the Classic has become my favourite meeting of the year.
The access to the garages, some of the off track events and of course the racing.
Our tickets are already ordered, via a car club, as are the camping passes.

btw...the International trophy meeting is also on my calendar as it has some of the grids and the bonus of being able to drive your car into the infield.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 20:52 (Ref:3355381)   #30
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
I also have a question: I am desperate to go to the classic this year but can probably only do one day. Saturday or Sunday, which is better or is there minimal difference?
Saturday has had more track action in previous years.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 20:59 (Ref:3355386)   #31
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
I would also suggest Saturday. Some of the race cars will be going home after their race if not out again on Sunday, so paddocks and garages can look a bit empty on that day. Plus, if you can stay on, there are the evening races to enjoy and of course, the live music......

The Saturday evening programme could well be GpC and Masters FIA Sports Car races.

Old 18 Jan 2014, 00:37 (Ref:3355465)   #32
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The old paddock is empty by lunchtime Sunday!

Only days to go,Friday or Saturday.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 01:27 (Ref:3355475)   #33
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Saturday ticket turns to a Sunday ticket if your a bit savvy.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 13:48 (Ref:3355600)   #34
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The old paddock is empty by lunchtime Sunday!

Only days to go,Friday or Saturday.
Thats fuuny,I'm still there.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 17:42 (Ref:3355938)   #35
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Goodwood,Le Mans Classic,Oldtimers,Spa (any of them)

Interesting debate.

Which one is best?

Think it depends on your age and what you consider historic racing.
At the risk of the 'rose tinted spectacles' accusation, I still think the original Coy's festival at Silverstone which I suppose begat the Silverstone Classic was the absolute best mix. Of course there wasn't so much to compare it with at the time. However, it managed to mix pre-war up to Can-Am in a race card that seemed to make perfect sense. For example you don't get the Ferrari GTOs racing at Silverstone now only at Goodwood and I can't recall the last time I saw Bentleys and Bugattis racing.

Seeing Robs Lamplough racing then jumping into his Spitfire to fly over the circuit then back into a race car was quite special. Then Sir John Whitmore racing against Agg in the Can Am Mclarens - wow!

I guess Goodwood has taken over the top end with all the associated theatre whilst Silverstone Classic is providing an increasingly good on track experience but does lack the range that Coy's had.

Le Mans Classic is in a world all of its own and can't really be compared with the likes of Silverstone.

Spa for me remains the most enjoyable circuit to race on or to spectate at, long may it continue.

The 'Ring is frankly, just scary! Never been to the Oldtimer although it has to be on the bucket list.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3355943)   #36
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Dave that has to be one of the best post . Wise words and I am in total agreement.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3355965)   #37
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Dave: Agree completely.A balanced mix!

Talbots ,Altas ,Bugattis and even Bentleys at Donington Festival in May.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 04:31 (Ref:3356942)   #38
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave, Oldtimer IS a must, it ranks with the best, Spa etc.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3357067)   #39
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Most of these big events are past their sell by date including Oldtimers,Silverstone ,Goodwood.

Same main players as ten/fifteen years ago just that much older.

Most are just an almalagation of organisers rather than main promotors organise races directly.

To many layers.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 16:18 (Ref:3357110)   #40
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Most of these big events are past their sell by date including Oldtimers,Silverstone ,Goodwood.

Most are just an almalagation of organisers rather than main promotors organise races directly.

To many layers.
Yep.But as Steve Mc Queen said in Le mans, "its money"
Old 22 Jan 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3357174)   #41
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

To many layers.
So past their sell-by date that thousands and thousands and thousands of people flock to them every year.

There may be the same protagonists of course but a) no-one cares and b) like a soap opera, people like to get to know the drivers' personas. Most of my friends that spectate actively look forward to their visit every year. If the events were going downhill then there would not be the following.

Last edited by midgetman; 22 Jan 2014 at 20:15. Reason: Correct the auto correction
Old 22 Jan 2014, 20:41 (Ref:3357185)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must something in that ! Lol
Old 22 Jan 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3357220)   #43
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quite why so many flock I don't know, nostalgia, maybe Silverstone spend a lot on marketing, bands make people who don't give a damn about racing turn up, for me they just make it more expensive, I couldn't care less.

The tickets are outrageously overpriced and a lot of the time the cars you really looked forward to seeing are pootling round coz the millionaire owner has no clue how to drive them, not all the time, but this is how I remember the 4 or sdo times I went in the past.

Sorry, but this meeting might look great, and if they made it a bit cheaper it might be, but more expensive than a British championship Superbike or Touring car race? You must be joking sorry
Old 23 Jan 2014, 06:45 (Ref:3357283)   #44
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Valid points, JR and chunder, but Max is right- tens of thousands of folk who might be described as 'general public' at all those meetings.

I think we have got to expect to have some historic meetings where the promoters are trying to make money out of gate receipts rather than the performers on track. Only problem with the Classic is that, as JR says, there are several layers of contractors all wanting to take a cut, so it finishes up with costly entry fees for competitors as well. Revival is unique in having no fees and OldTimer didn't appear to be any more expensive for competitors than other meetings, from my limited experience.

And yes, the Classic race programme does not reflect the depth of history that can be found elsewhere, but to attract the aforementioned general public they are going for grids that will 'sell' the meeting. Sign of the times, I guess....

Old 23 Jan 2014, 08:00 (Ref:3357295)   #45
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
The 'Ring is frankly, just scary! Never been to the Oldtimer although it has to be on the bucket list.
The Grantura is a superb car for the Ring and from memory the Old Timer was E950 for 6 hours of track time on the Nordschleife which made it very good value in my book. All things being equal we will be out their again this year in our Grantura.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3357312)   #46
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Given that 80,000 visitors went to see a load of cars stationary in Solihull last week, the fact that they are "pootling" will still be a huge draw. Even at half chat, the sight and sound of a racing car is something to behold and for those of us not lucky enough to have seen them in their prime it is so, so much better than seeing them stuck in an exhibition hall.

For me the beauty of the Classic is the informality. Wander round the paddock and there's a Group C Jaguar here, a March tea tray there, all the while you're rubbing shoulders with Lotus Cortinas et al. No extra charge, no barriers to entry, you're "there", almost part of the racing team. It might be a pain for the Deltas and JRs of this world trying to work amongst the throng but to us ordinary Joes it's just wonderful.

I've never been to the Revival but it really doesn't float my boat. I dislike the pantomime and the dressing up, I dislike the fact that you can't access the paddock without the right pass and/or unless you're in the right fancy dress.

As for the racing, TBQH I went to the Classic for the first time last year without a stand to run, and I saw even less racing than I have in previous years when a few snatched minutes on the banking had to suffice! The sights, sounds and smells of being close up to racing cars and people in the paddocks were pretty special.

That said, the price is atrocious. One friend in particular has pointed out that the camping fees have rocketed this year since the outskirts of the circuit have been sold off. Rip off Britain.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 12:02 (Ref:3357378)   #47
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Dave that has to be one of the best post . Wise words and I am in total agreement.
Too true blue
Old 23 Jan 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3357463)   #48
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting point about the layering of people wanting a cut Mike

Hadnt though of it like that before, perhaps explains a lot.

Suffice to say me and Dad used to love going there in the past, like we loved going to Goodwood in the 90's, but both have just become too expensive for what they are now.

I went to Brands last year, full circuit, sunny day, awesome cars, never queued, paid about 15 quid and I will be back this year coz it was awesome.

I do hope all the folk that pay 50 odd quid for these meetings also do the same.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3357465)   #49
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
be careful what you wish for Chunder - if the circuit/organizers dont make their return on the gate they have to get it from the competitor. At the Classic most race entries are already at creaking point (£1000+) so any further hikes could start pulling entries....
Never begrudge spending money if you are getting value. Only you can decide if fun/value ratio was met. Brands HSCC good though it is, is not Goodwood Revival or the Classic.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 17:04 (Ref:3357505)   #50
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

In my humble opinion HSCC at Brands and Silverstone could be superior meetings to Silverstone Festival.

Entry fees same or less for same GP circuits.

No balance in any of the programs,I turn up with a 56 GT car at Festival and can race it in three events! That's balance?

None of these can be compared with Goodwood Revival that is unique.Racers and possers can mix without a problem.

Pleased they are starting an artisans meeting in middle of winter.

ADAC races cost 50% to 70% compared to Festival stuff and looking at value 6hrs Spa and Marathon at Ring are head and shoulders better than any other events

I am a retired entrant so does not effect me!