Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 25 May 2001, 16:51 (Ref:96527)   #1
fines
Racer

Germany
Bitburg, Germany
fines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3000 at Jarama

On October 5, 1986, the International F3000 Championship visited Jarama for the last race of the year. It was a chaotic event, red-flagged after a sudden rainstorm and then restarted. First on aggregate was Pierluigi Martini in a Pavesi Ralt/Cosworth, but on the same day he was disqualified because the team allegedly worked on his car in between the heats. This disqualification was later rescinded, and Martini kept his win and second place in the championship. My question is now: when was he reinstated in the results of this race? Anyone knowing the date and the reasons for this decision?

Old 2 Jun 2001, 19:56 (Ref:100255)   #2
Felix Muelas
Rookie

Felix Muelas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael,

I am with it, don´t despair.
I remember the disqualification (I was part of the Team of Technical Marshalls at that race) and the undiscussable (for us) reasons for it.
But what you are after (date and reasons for the reinstatement) I will need to browse some more material. Bear it with me.

Un abrazo

Felix
Old 3 Jun 2001, 16:34 (Ref:100606)   #3
fines
Racer

Germany
Bitburg, Germany
Thanks Félix, much appreciated!!!!!

Old 3 Jun 2001, 18:11 (Ref:100668)   #4
Roger Clark
Rookie

Roger Clark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Autosport, Martini was disqualified before the restart and raced under appeal. He was still disqualified when they published their annual survey in early December.

Last edited by Roger Clark; 3 Jun 2001 at 18:11.
Old 3 Jun 2001, 19:48 (Ref:100699)   #5
Felix Muelas
Rookie

Thanks for the clue on the timing, Roger. That will spare me having to browse November

As for the story itself, it´s a funny one, or at least I remember it like that. It was only the second "international" race that I was attending as "Junior" member of the Team (of Technical Marshalls, that is) and we were watching the race from an unusual position (the podium on the tower, only used for F1 races, the rest being awarded on the opposite side of the track). Here comes the neutralisation and we see the Pavesi mechanics approaching Martini´s car and they started, quite swiftly, to adjust something on the back. Our boss, with his characteristically deep voice said to us : Gentlemen, you are about to witness an illegal move. I remember laughing out loud because it was obvious that the mechanics were not aware of being watched
So this posting by fines brought back memories...let´s now find out, if we can, how was the decission overturned. I´m very curious too!

Un abrazo

Felix
Old 4 Jun 2001, 09:39 (Ref:100949)   #6
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Felix,

welcome to the "Historic Racing & Racing History" forum at the Ten-Tenths Motorsport webpage.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 10:44 (Ref:100964)   #7
Felix Muelas
Rookie

Thanks, jarama.

It looks like a wonderful coincidence that my first postings in this Forum and my first welcome (and who knows if last) stays around that magical name that has been around almost all my life!

Un abrazo

Felix
Old 9 Jun 2001, 10:17 (Ref:102848)   #8
fines
Racer

Germany
Bitburg, Germany
:blush: Sorry Félix, forgot to welcome you! It's just these familiar names around here, you know...

Back to the subject, this really puzzles me! Although I've found several sources who credit the race to Martini, I wasn't able to find an actual reference to the reinstatement of his win. I browsed the Swiss weekly "Motorsport aktuell" to the end of the year, and though it's possible I missed a hint, it seems there's simply nothing reported!

I don't have the 1986/7 "Autocourse", but if it's not in that volume (which seems likely, in the light of Roger's post about the "Autosport" survey in December), there should be a mention in the following one. Now I do have the 1987/8 volume, but I simply can't find any reference - Strange!

Now Félix, you seem to have been involved on a personal level in this saga, do you actually REMEMBER the disqualification being rescinded?

Old 9 Jun 2001, 10:39 (Ref:102857)   #9
Roger Clark
Rookie

I checked to Autosport to the end of January, but found no mention of reinstatement.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 10:55 (Ref:102862)   #10
Roger Clark
Rookie

I checked to Autosport to the end of January, but found no mention of reinstatement.
Old 9 Jun 2001, 13:18 (Ref:102960)   #11
fines
Racer

Germany
Bitburg, Germany
Ok, so here's a recap of all the information I could find on the topic in books and on the internet. First, I'll list those who credit the win and/or second place in the championship to Martini, then those who 'split' the honours , and finally those who credit Pirro with the achievements:

title, author, year of publication

- Grand Prix Data Book, David Hayhoe, 1989, p 35: 2nd in championship to Martini
- Grand Prix Data Book 2, David Hayhoe & David Holland, 1995, p 42: win and 2nd in championship to Martini
- The Guinness Guide to International Motor Racing, Peter Higham, 1995, p 237: win and 2nd in championship to Martini, quote: "Originally disqualified because the team worked on the car between heats, later reinstated"
- ibid, pp 512 & 522: individual driver records confirm that
- http://www.clarinet.fi/~spitkane/F3000/champfp86.htm, Seppo Pitkänen, 1996-2001: 2nd in championship to Martini
- http://perso.wanadoo.fr/woodcote/Tour/%2786table.html, Frédéric Breton, unknown: win and 2nd in championship to Martini
- http://www.f3thousand.com/Tour/Inter%20F3000%2086.html, presumably also Fred Breton, unknown: 2nd in championship to Martini
- http://www.forix.com/asp/3kcp.asp?z=...l=0&r=1986&c=7, João Paulo Lopes da Cunha, Rainer Nyberg & Nicolás Korzan, 2001: win and 2nd in championship to Martini

- http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/a...n/f300085.html, Darren Galpin, unknown: win and 2nd in championship to Martini, quote: "Martini was originally disqualified as team worked on car between heats, but was reinstated later" (presumably copied from Higham)
- http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/drivers/martini.html, Darren Galpin, unknown: win and 2nd in championship to Martini
- http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/drivers/pirro.html, Darren Galpin, unknown: win and 2nd in championship to Pirro
- http://dizzy1000.tripod.com/1986.htm, "The webmaster" with Stefan Persson & Sergio Fratus, 1999-2001: win once to Pirro and once to Martini, 2nd in championship to Martini

- Motor Racing, Ian Morrison, 1989, p 136: win and 2nd in championship to Pirro
- A-Z of Formula Racing Cars, David Hodges, 1990, p 217: quote: "Martini (...) won twice", ie not at Jarama
- The Grand Prix Who's Who 2, Steve Small, 1996, p 279: quote: "[Martini] winning rounds at Imola, Mugello and Birmingham. Any hopes of a title win were dashed when he was disqualified in the final round at Jarama" (Note: it was actually his teammate, Luis Perez Sala, who won in Birmingham...)
- ibid, p 336: 2nd in championship to Pirro
- http://www.speedsportmag.de/speedspo.../1986/86a.php3, Mike Zenger, 1996-2001: win and 2nd in championship to Pirro

NB: It should maybe be noted that, in 1981 there was a similar case when Eje Elgh was disqualified from the Thruxton F2 Championship round, but reinstated several months later, long after the last race of the championship was run. Interestingly, this fact is omitted by Higham (1995), but included in the Morrison book (1989), exactly contrary to their respective position in the 'Martini case'! This also affected Stefan Johansson's championship position, which is rightly reflected by Hayhoe (1989), Small (1996) and Galpin, although the latter ignores it all again in his Elgh career information.

Old 9 Jun 2001, 20:10 (Ref:103084)   #12
Felix Muelas
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by fines
Now Félix, you seem to have been involved on a personal level in this saga, do you actually REMEMBER the disqualification being rescinded?
The answer is NO!

Actually, when my colleague (Joao Paulo Cunha) was preparing with Rainer and Nicolás Korzán the stats for the F3000 he came to me and asked me about the race. I first answered him straight away about the DQ but he came back and told me : there must be something wrong with your memory, take a look at this and this and this...he was reinstated!

I have asked Nicolás about it, he might have the answer we don´t seem to find (I browsed my Autosprints for the following months, and the only thing I could find was a table just before the start of the following season where Martini is credited with 2nd place in the Championship and the points as winner).

We´ll see

Felix
Old 9 Jun 2001, 20:13 (Ref:103087)   #13
fines
Racer

Germany
Bitburg, Germany
Thanx Roger and Félix, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this!
Old 11 Jun 2001, 19:40 (Ref:104032)   #14
fines
Racer

Germany
Bitburg, Germany
Found it!

"Motorsport aktuell" 9/87 (Feb 18, 1987): "On October 5, 1986, rain stopped the F3000 final at Jarama. In the break before the restart, the crew of Pierluigi Martini (who led at the time of the race stoppage) made the mistake of disconnecting an anti-roll bar. Formula 3000 inspector Cecil Mitchel proved to be a hardliner and disqualified the little Italian - but only after heat 2. Martini had finished third in this, which would have made him winner on aggregate.

"Martini's Pavesi team protested the decision and was now vindicated by the appeal court of the Spanish car club RACE because of an irregularity. Four months later the Jarama winner is now Pierluigi Martini (Ralt) from Emanuele Pirro, Michel Ferté and Ivan Capelli (all March). This results in a considerable change in the final classification of the EC: Though Capelli stays European Champion (sic!), Martini moves past Pirro into second."

Old 12 Jun 2001, 01:30 (Ref:104187)   #15
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Fines!

Thanks to Fines for your question and for Felix Muelas and Roger Clark for your answers. I'm really don't know many about early years of F3000, really I know more of F3000 only since 1994-95. Before these times I only have stats and some more, like the reports of 1992 extra-championship race made at Buenos Aires, race won by Andrea Montermini.
I watched 1986 was a year with the most driver entries on F3000 history. No many years can compare with it, maybe 1999 (54 entries). It was an interesting championship, with many drivers what we can watch later on F1 (like Martini, Capelli, Pirro, Gugelmin...).
I hope to watch another F3000 question on this forum. I can answer the more recent but I can investigate some on more older questions... Also I follow F.Nippon and Italian-Euro F3000 and I can ask some about these categories.

Regards of Nicolas Korzan