Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jan 2020, 13:28 (Ref:3952939)   #2566
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
If you use RS 2000 tie rod ends, you dont need UNF at each end. And you should check every part before putting it back together…
RS 2000 parts are no problem Gerard, I believe them to be metric threads. I can get longer steering arms, at a price, plus the rod ends. €€€€
Will check the ebay links first though, thank you.
Old 23 Jan 2020, 13:46 (Ref:3952942)   #2567
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If you use RS 2000 tie rod ends, you dont need UNF at each end. And you should check every part before putting it back together…
No rs200 parts Gerard, it would be easier if there were.
Sorted now, thank you for the links, last one has them in stock. Been away from all of this stuff for too long. 🙄
Old 23 Jan 2020, 17:17 (Ref:3952982)   #2568
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad if everything's ok now. Yes, last link is useful, nice person able to understand what you need/want and doing the machining himself, almost everything is possible. I guess you too keep the mechanical version of the steering rack, power assisted units are bigger but going from one to the other means to change many parts, starting with the engine lower cross member! Another story…
Old 23 Jan 2020, 18:55 (Ref:3952996)   #2569
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Often we wonder what's happening under the car when we drive it. Thanks to a famous almost french rock star, now we've got some answers:
Rear? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8x0PlEfspo
Front? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnp6VA8_pgw

When young I tried to answer this kind of question when riding my bike but with no camera. I can tell you it hurts!
PS: Kisses to Paddy from Wanda and herr Kolonel!
Old 24 Jan 2020, 04:03 (Ref:3953054)   #2570
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Often we wonder what's happening under the car when we drive it. Thanks to a famous almost french rock star, now we've got some answers:

When young I tried to answer this kind of question when riding my bike but with no camera. I can tell you it hurts!
PS: Kisses to Paddy from Wanda and herr Kolonel!
😅 I removed the power steering, but left the cross member in. Just in case!
Mechanical rack is half the weight.
Old 24 Jan 2020, 07:23 (Ref:3953071)   #2571
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Certainly lighter but the mechanical bends badly and the bump steer is difficult to reduce. I dont know about the internals of the assisted rack but on the Mazda's for instance you can strip everything to reduce the effort and keep light grease into the case. Better use a large diameter steering wheel. Or adapt a small electric motor on the column, not legal but so much popular! A scrutineers' favorite…
Old 24 Jan 2020, 08:20 (Ref:3953078)   #2572
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Certainly lighter but the mechanical bends badly and the bump steer is difficult to reduce. I dont know about the internals of the assisted rack but on the Mazda's for instance you can strip everything to reduce the effort and keep light grease into the case. Better use a large diameter steering wheel. Or adapt a small electric motor on the column, not legal but so much popular! A scrutineers' favorite…
Or simple use a quick rack😉😉
Old 24 Jan 2020, 08:41 (Ref:3953082)   #2573
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The track control arm looked slightly bowed or is that a trick of the camera?
Old 24 Jan 2020, 10:29 (Ref:3953102)   #2574
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Quick rack is around 2,4 as per homologation, only one supplier in the UK, for RHD cars only mechanical steering rack. From Ric Wood own words, you must be Arnold S himself to turn the wheels if using wide tires and Ric is not "really" a weakling…. I had one, the whole thing was bent in a crash, impossible to find another in LHD but bot missed now with 205/60x13.
If you use a PAS with no pump, its already somewhat quick rack if I'm correct?

I dont think that Joe could use any bowed part on any car he builds/ drives… Probably the camera. Interesting views imo… Thanks again for those.
Old 24 Jan 2020, 10:38 (Ref:3953104)   #2575
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Terence, dont know what kind of settings you'll go for but from experience if the suspension is close to original drawing too much castor doesn't give vey good results… As a mate told me, "its not a Porsche, you stupid!".
Old 25 Jan 2020, 03:12 (Ref:3953240)   #2576
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Terence, dont know what kind of settings you'll go for but from experience if the suspension is close to original drawing too much castor doesn't give vey good results… As a mate told me, "its not a Porsche, you stupid!".
😂No, not too far off original, but should be enough. Find out in March😉
Old 25 Jan 2020, 05:19 (Ref:3953252)   #2577
delta
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
March 2020 Tel. 👍
Old 5 Mar 2020, 16:32 (Ref:3961774)   #2578
lotustwincam
Rookie

United Kingdom
lotustwincam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
600lb Cortina Spring Rates!!

Following the tangent on Baubles Photo thread I was interested in why Cortinas with such stiff front springs did not understeer like mad?
Old 6 Mar 2020, 07:10 (Ref:3961861)   #2579
zefarelly
Veteran

England
zefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridzefarelly should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget to add in 1" or even 30mm ARB's

7 degrees caster may have something to do with it, std geometry obviously.

I think mines about 500lb and 24mm ARB . . . All of my teeth are still attached.

There must be a correlation between suspension settings and bodyshell/cage prep. I gave up some years ago now so have no idea what the latest craze is.

BoT . . . only winter project I've done is fit a spot lamp on my Lambretta because as stylish as BErtones design was, a rectangle headlight is rubbish for projecting light! Oh, I did build a new 240cc engine for another one as well.
Attached Thumbnails
GP lamp.jpg  
Old 6 Mar 2020, 07:58 (Ref:3961866)   #2580
Gerard C
Veteran

Wallis & Futuna
Paris area
Nice Lambretta. I guess the average Vespa user totally ignores what he's missing! The Rumi was fine too.

Finishing to refurbish a crashed MX5 with few enthusiasm because the specific regulation doesn't allow to adapt a more track adapted final ratio. If you loose the 5th gear, you won't even notice!

Re the caster I'm too old to cope with such a figure on a real Mac Pherson suspension. And this kind of front arb diameter is more useful when building a house… Original geometry on Capris gives 0,5 to 1,5° which is too few but gives an idea of the starting point…
Lotustwincam, I'm with you, this is a tangent!!!