Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Feb 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2836357)   #1
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
VSCC Pom this weekend

Who is doing it with what ?

I will be taking a 1926 Rolls Royce Phantom tourer, and yes it does have front brakes....
Old 24 Feb 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2836362)   #2
PBE
Rookie

PBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rudolph. The Phantom is a perfectly suitable Pom car! I am looking forward to seeing it. I'm having a crack in a chain drive Frazer Nash saloon. See you in session 1. For those of you who have not done the Pom before, its one of those bastion brilliant season starter events which you can do in almost anything - from 60 HP Mercedes to RS8 Audi. Its worth thinking about for next year.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2836450)   #3
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBE View Post
Rudolph. The Phantom is a perfectly suitable Pom car! I am looking forward to seeing it. I'm having a crack in a chain drive Frazer Nash saloon. See you in session 1. For those of you who have not done the Pom before, its one of those bastion brilliant season starter events which you can do in almost anything - from 60 HP Mercedes to RS8 Audi. Its worth thinking about for next year.
a chain gang would could a touch to competive and serious but a saloon is brilliant
the Phantom weird enough to be fun
last time I did in a Rover SD1
variety is the spice of life

Rudolf
Old 25 Feb 2011, 07:57 (Ref:2836590)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
did i read somewhere the Pom is now open to non members as well?
Old 25 Feb 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2836824)   #5
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
did i read somewhere the Pom is now open to non members as well?
Open to the public to spectate for the first time tomorrow - to enter you still need to be a member

RT
Old 25 Feb 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2836852)   #6
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have an Entry List they could email me?
Old 25 Feb 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2836985)   #7
willga
Rookie

willga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be in my Aston GT4
- just trying to fit the 'spare' wheel in the boot now...
Old 26 Feb 2011, 23:58 (Ref:2837332)   #8
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That has to be the most bizarre motor sport meeting I've ever attended

A more eclectic entry would be hard to imagine but the drifting at Luffield from the Volvo and BMW made the day worthwhile.

Will post a few images once I've sorted through them.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 12:16 (Ref:2837448)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So which Special won it?

Assume Patch gave it away this year with that lid over his head.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2837490)   #10
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A sample of some of the older cars running. The Bentley special with a Dorchester Limo behind sums up the varied entry
Sorry for the awful backgrounds but that's 'because it's Silverstone'.
Attached Thumbnails
pt5.jpg   pt4.jpg   pt6.jpg  

pt3.jpg   pt2.jpg   pt1.jpg  

Old 27 Feb 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2837591)   #11
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with 'brands' - very bizarre, maybe even more bizarre than the Birkett relay Very entertaining though.
Here are a few pics from session 1.
I have more - only from session 1 in the afternoon I'm afraid. Email me if you were in that group and I'll see if I managed to catch you on track.

Old 28 Feb 2011, 09:15 (Ref:2837839)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I assume that No 5 is Patrick's Frazer Nash Saloon; truly fantastic, I have a 'thing for prewar saloons especially any which have a 'sporty' appearance.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2837856)   #13
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was my first time competing at the event (Jason's had his Lancia Beta out a couple of times) and I have to say that it was very enjoyable with very ecletic cars all around - it was almost too much to take in. Had some fuelling issues in the Aurelia for the morning tests but after a diagnosis at lunch time I was in the first session and had enormous fun playing with the Edwardian and pre-war cars. I have to say it was one of those rare occasions where the Aurelia was actually doing the overtaking rather than being overtaken and the car performed faultlessly and I believe I made my laps. So lovely to be on the track at the same time with so many wonderful cars.

Jason bought out his yellow "peril" Fiat Coupe which despite the colour is quite a Q car as was seen in the afternoon session. The commentator said he won the flying 250m and he managed to get to the front of the field (and lap most) and stay there in the lap sessions - not bad given the fast cars out there (GT40, Aston Vantage, Cobra's, Cossie, Subaru etc). He greatly enjoyed his session but we're not sure if he made his laps - I think he was one lap shy which to be honest in the slippery conditions was very good going. He was certainly pedalling and loving every minute!

So for us a very enjoyable day despite the wet conditions in the morning - we solved the mystery of the Aurelia fuelling issue and the Fiat Coupe was flying so a success all round and makes for a good start to the season.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 09:59 (Ref:2837862)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great to see your account, Louise, and that you enjoyed it so much.

Anyone got anymore pics to share?
Old 28 Feb 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2837872)   #15
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I assume that No 5 is Patrick's Frazer Nash Saloon; truly fantastic, I have a 'thing for prewar saloons especially any which have a 'sporty' appearance.
No 5 is a Frazer Nash, no idea of the owner though. It was very striking with its tapering, portholed rear-end.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 12:39 (Ref:2837920)   #16
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
No 5 is a Frazer Nash, no idea of the owner though. It was very striking with its tapering, portholed rear-end.
That was Patrick Blakeny Edwards driving that Frazer Nash saloon.
He posted in this thread as PBE

Rudolf
Old 28 Feb 2011, 12:46 (Ref:2837922)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
So who/what won it?
Old 28 Feb 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2838030)   #18
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
So who/what won it?

PBE won it in his FN Saloon

I came a highly respectable last in the Phantom
7 litres displacement are not really favored by the arcane handicapping formula

Rudolf
Old 28 Feb 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2838194)   #19
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Patch is Pom King!

Four times winner!
Old 1 Mar 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2838319)   #20
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saw the results last night and thrilled to see that Jason came third overall behind the two Frazer Nashs (many congrats PBE - fab car and fab driving) and got a First. He also got quickest times in 2 of the tests and led his session home so he's one happy bunny. A modern car of course but still tremendous fun and a great achievement. Be interested to see when the last time such a modern car (1996) came so high up the results...

I'm amazed that I managed to get a Third - a terrible brake test (rubbish driver) and fuel issue on the flying meaning I limped over the line in second, gear didn't bode well but getting my laps seems to have redeemed the situation. A very satisfying personal result for my first time but plenty to improve on!
Old 1 Mar 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2838372)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The late great Jim Diffey won it in BMW 2002.

The designation was the one he used!
Old 1 Mar 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2838667)   #22
PBE
Rookie

PBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason was blindingly quick in the Fiat. 3rd O/A in a car that new (and short) is a staggering result. I was impressed watching him from the inside of Copse and my 2 year old lad squealed 'lellow!' (can't say his Y's yet) every time he came round on the limit. Its one of the best events of the year and I was lucky with my result for lots of reasons but am delighted to win in a vintage saloon nevertheless. I have however never tried so hard in my life and I will happily admit that a roof / windscreen / helmet / glasses were neatly disguising any facial expressions during the event!