Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Apr 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2860994)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
HRDC Brands 9th April

What a great day, in every respect, the weather was fantastic for the time of year, pretty good for any time truth be told!

Brands never fails to attract all and Sundry ( Arthur snapped the 'lesser spotted hairy Anglebox thrasher' nestling in the outer paddock, forraging mostly, photo to follow!) I even spotted a pair of twittering A-series gulls supping Guinness on the banking at Paddock hill . . . .oh and a shandy drinking southerner.

the GT grid was headed by Spridget based cars, but the oddities wheren't a minority or outpaced particularly, which bodes well for variation . . and its early days yet for many of them, a few of which I know are box fresh so to speak.

with family and later commitments we left early and missed the tin top battle, so I'll leave it to others to fill in gaps.

32 x 50's tin tops was busy in practice . . . I'm sure the race was gripping.

given the state of the nation I think its fair to say the HRDC has made a positive uplifting impact . . . 4CV was car of the day I think, LAK's Fiat won Arthur over, I was impressed by her opposite lock paddock hill moment on lap 4 of qually . . .
Old 10 Apr 2011, 06:37 (Ref:2861135)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep twas a lovely day.Shandy and the ice creams were excellent.Good turn out of Tenners.Me,Zef,Gordon,Brian A " you had a great race Brian".
Mr and Mrs Spectator,Andrew in his Westminster which is getting quicker and quicker.Falciee who me and Gordon went to find but without success.Well done to Julius and his HRDC club going to be very successful.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2861570)   #3
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed a fantastic day.
Embarrassing end to practice when I stalled in the tunnel and noticed after some hours of pressing the "S" button that the starter wasn't working. Luckily a huge queue of boiling frustrated drivers had built up by now, prepared to push me most of the way out before the tow truck arrived. Sorry about that! Wire had fallen off the starter, which long-suffering mechanic Dave sorted.

Race was total adrenaline overload. 11 laps of the best racing I've ever had, places swapping several times per lap on occasion, especially with Jason's Lancia until he suffered fuel pump issues, followed by 16 laps of terror trying to stay in a straight line with an oil slick stretching all the way along the main straight, down Paddock Hill bend and a bit more on the outside of Druids. I think it was Alistair Dyson's Zephyr fell victim when it first happened, hopefully without damage, but otherwise we survived, including Victoria Beever in her first ever race, in the Rover 105S.

Great diversity of cars in this first HRDC Touring Greats race, long may it continue.

First 2 laps here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLN4Vd--EcU

Last edited by AGD A105/6; 10 Apr 2011 at 21:25.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2861752)   #4
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoroughly enjoyed the GT race, good close racing and a pleasure not to be totally blitzed by bigger capacity cars as in other series. I missed the Touring Cars also as I needed to get back home to switch cars for Snetterton the next day - which was another brilliant day's racing.

Great start to my season - well done Julius, particularly with organising the weather so well.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2861765)   #5
riley1.5
Rookie

riley1.5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great day! The saloon race was the best turn out for years
Totally overshadowed The Masters efforts!

Hopefully we'll have the Riley 1.5 ready soon, to join in the fun.

Roger
Old 11 Apr 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2861793)   #6
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to all involved. Not only did you bring sun and a blue sky (never mind the easterly breeze), but also two large grids and a great variety of cars. As a former owner of a Series 1 Minx I had never expected to see one race, but there was one out in the Touring Greats albeit with a later and larger engine. There were also Vanguards of different vintages, a Super Snipe and a Rover 105S among the more usual A40s, Jags, Zephyrs. Similarly the GTs had a GSM Delta, Spridgets of different bodywork etc. Best wishes for the rest of the Season.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2861823)   #7
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Few more clips:

1st lap from the rearcam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVbakvtaYGA
Heart-stopping moment for Stephen Chase close behind in the A40, I’m already slow through Paddock as I’m clinging to the inside line in the melee, but then have to lift when Tom Harris spins and the pack ahead takes avoiding action.

A busy lap 5, also from the rear cam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27bAV3JrkGk
While I’m trying to get past Jim Woodley, Richard Frankel in the Giulietta and Jason’s Lancia are trying to pass me, with Bruce Chapman playing the waiting game in the Magnette. Richard finally makes it stick through Clearways but I just stave off Jason – this time…

Lap 9, and Jason bravely dives up the inside at Paddock Hill, keeping me to the outside at Druids. Bruce says thank you very much and goes through at Druids too, meanwhile Jason takes Jim Woodley. Jim’s line is compromised through Graham Hill Bend which slows him and blocks Bruce, enabling me to exit well and get past both of them on Brabham Straight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZojRcTbzI

Lap 11, and as Jason and I lap Steve Ashby in the Super Snipe and Victoria in the Rover, we first encounter the oil slick along the straight while eventual winner Matt Daniell is trying to lap us. Alistair Dyson is already way into the kitty litter but thankfully right way up, and Mark gets a tank-slapper as I tiptoe around, heart-in-mouth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsN8CYeEBp8

Lap 13, second-placed man John Burton’s XK, Nick Naismith’s A90 and Nigel Webb’s Mk1 lap me, with William Lynch not far behind in the sole A35.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2UH5jRnKU4

Coming up to start lap 16, and in order to lap George Shackleton’s Minx cleanly, I try inside the oil line on the straight. Bit of an un-nerving wiggle with the pit wall flashing past but through OK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XpjA9BdjzI

Start of lap 19, Jason has succumbed to a temporary fuel surge problem (which disappeared after a couple of laps), and I follow the same routine with similar wiggle to lap Ian Kellett in HMS Vanguard, takes a while longer to get past the 220S of Stewart Imber but lovely views of all that chrome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98VZgOBG8AQ

Lap 23 and Ding Boston in the OUMF Riley 1.5 can outcorner me so it takes a long time to pull away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS_iaduj2zE
Old 11 Apr 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2861885)   #8
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent clips Andrew, cheered my lunchtime up no end
Old 11 Apr 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2862002)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Great stuff Andrew, and good to see you . . . must keep up the brilliant weather when we meet, although France was too hot!
Old 12 Apr 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2862346)   #10
Bruce Chapman
Rookie

Bruce Chapman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic videos Andrew. I was only sorry to develop a misfire round left handers half way through as was enjoying our tussle with Jason. I'll hopefully have it sorted for Mallory.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2862359)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bruce, welcome to our friendly forum. The Tea-urn is over by Delta's truck. Help yourself.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2862550)   #12
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a gorgeous day's entertainment! Thought I might aswell put a link in to some photos http://www.snappyracers.com/album/090411Brands/
Old 12 Apr 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2862578)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
good boy Jon, and top snaps as always
Old 12 Apr 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2862681)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Brands never fails to attract all and Sundry ( Arthur snapped the 'lesser spotted hairy Anglebox thrasher' nestling in the outer paddock,
I resemble that remark !!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Apr 2011, 07:47 (Ref:2862770)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
a rare moment caught on camera.

he's fully clothed.
Attached Thumbnails
Gordon.jpg  
Old 13 Apr 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2862925)   #16
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I recon we should start a "ask Gordon thread". You were spot on Gordon with the prob we had with CVH. Well worth the cost of that ice cream.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 08:12 (Ref:2863156)   #17
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hats off and many thanks to Julius, the HRDC team and sponsors and the MGCC for hosting us (the day ran like clockwork) for a cracking day of racing. Jason and I had a thoroughly enjoyable day and two fantastic races.

I have to say we weren't expecting either my new toy (Fiat Abarth) or our Lancia Aurelia to be terribly competitive amongst the fast GTs (the small touring car class were in with the GT Greats) and Saloons. However despite a slipping clutch in practice, an odd vibration in the race and scaring myself silly going down Paddock Hill in practice (thanks for noticing Zef!), my little toy car proved to be a hoot to drive.

And as for the Aurelia, Jason qualified in the last third but in the race the car proved to be very competitive. It was all way too exciting (and scary to spectate knowing I needed to drive the car home) but totally exhilerating to watch - Andrew's clips show the close, fair racing. Thanks to Andrew for posting these and also for very kindly sending us a copy - Jason has vowed that if he ever gets a chance, he's never going to overtake Andrew as the video is just too good!

A stunning race weekend with some of the best racing I've ever witnessed, great friendship amongst the drivers and teams and a wonderfully relaxed and fun atmposphere. Special mention should go to Nicola (in her second race) and Victoria (in her first race) who both did extremely well and should be very proud of themselves.

I'd enourage more people to race with the HRDC but I'd rather like to keep it as a hidden gem...

Next outing with the Club is Mallory - we've entered one car to share and were hoping to have a choice of two healthy cars (despite the Aurelia's fuel issues) but sadly the little Fiat developed an ominous engine noise when we unloaded it. Watch out Andrew - the Kennedy's might be back out in the Aurelia! Get that video working again!!
Old 14 Apr 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2863406)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
The Fiat will be fine . . . early diagnosis isn't bad
Old 14 Apr 2011, 19:52 (Ref:2863427)   #19
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
The Fiat will be fine . . . early diagnosis isn't bad
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Fix It Again Tomorrow
Old 15 Apr 2011, 08:31 (Ref:2863609)   #20
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Iain - I actually hope it will be more like Fix It Again TODAY
Or am I too demanding

Joe - great to have "expert" eyes looking over things.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2863665)   #21
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Great day out (but I would say that ).

Nice pic's of my flames and the TSCC race too

Last edited by jellison; 15 Apr 2011 at 10:21.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2863742)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I thought it was 'Fix it again Toni' ?

there's also a 'Fix Or Repaid Daily'
Old 15 Apr 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2863806)   #23
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
Great day out (but I would say that ).

Nice pic's of my flames and the TSCC race too

Brilliant photo.
Old 15 Apr 2011, 15:12 (Ref:2863809)   #24
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I like this one too