Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Nov 2014, 10:03 (Ref:3476866)   #1
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
73rd Member's Meeting

It has finally happened...I have an invite for the Les Leston race at the 73rd MM in Lumbertubs...Christmas has indeed come early!
Old 22 Nov 2014, 06:11 (Ref:3477475)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
great news, I will see you there as my Sabre Six has got the nod as well!!
Old 23 Nov 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3477931)   #3
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this another Goodwood invitation only meeting, or can ordinary mortals inveigle their way in by right place/right time tactics?
I've been around since 1991 but never had even a peep.....
Old 25 Nov 2014, 21:04 (Ref:3478692)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Astonishing how abbreviations change.

Always assumed MM stood for Mille Miglia not a club race in the South of Blighty.

I suppose that in both cases they have retrospectives that don't bear to much in common with originals.

We ca always pretend!
Old 26 Nov 2014, 09:20 (Ref:3478814)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Haha, yes, John, I had to think what MM stood for but the number 73 gave me the clue! MM will always stand for Mille Miglia to us 'older' folks! I'd also like burfs to address my ignorance about Lumbertubs, a model with which I am unfamiliar. I was hoping I didn't have to ask but in for a penny, in for a pound!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 26 Nov 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3478841)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Haha, yes, John, I had to think what MM stood for but the number 73 gave me the clue! MM will always stand for Mille Miglia to us 'older' folks! I'd also like burfs to address my ignorance about Lumbertubs, a model with which I am unfamiliar. I was hoping I didn't have to ask but in for a penny, in for a pound!
Sounds like an Aston Martin to me John!
Old 26 Nov 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3478871)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Sounds like an Aston Martin to me John!
As a fellow participant I can report that the Les Leston Cup is definitely at the yeoman end of the motoring sphere so I think you can assume it to not be an Aston Martin. More likely to be an MGB or similar...
Old 26 Nov 2014, 11:45 (Ref:3478872)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
What's the Les Leston Cup for?
Old 26 Nov 2014, 11:46 (Ref:3478873)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bob, my Christmas card list has just gone down by one!

Incidentally, I have never got remotely close to owning an Aston. The pic, taken over 20 years ago, to the left shows my two sons standing between them; hence my choice! The taller older one, Kevin, has just left the role of Autosport Features Editor to become overall Editor of sister publication MotorSport News. No paternal influence on his future career, there then!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 26 Nov 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3478875)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

JR - from Goodwood's website... This race should see a fierce battle fought-out between production sports cars built from 1960 – ’66.

TVR Granturas will dice with MGBs, Austin Healeys, and Triumph TRs in what could turn out to be a very British affair. However, there could always be an Alfa Romeo or Porsche waiting in the wings to spoil the party for the home-grown sports cars.

In addition to the above list add one Sabre Six!
Old 26 Nov 2014, 12:08 (Ref:3478881)   #11
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd also like burfs to address my ignorance about Lumbertubs, a model with which I am unfamiliar. I was hoping I didn't have to ask but in for a penny, in for a pound!

It's a Sebring Sprite. I was told the origin of the name but can't remember what it was. I am sure that Ian will tell all in due course

Old 26 Nov 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3478902)   #12
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
JR - from Goodwood's website... This race should see a fierce battle fought-out between production sports cars built from 1960 – ’66.

TVR Granturas will dice with MGBs, Austin Healeys, and Triumph TRs in what could turn out to be a very British affair. However, there could always be an Alfa Romeo or Porsche waiting in the wings to spoil the party for the home-grown sports cars.

In addition to the above list add one Sabre Six!
Will DAD10 be there?
Old 26 Nov 2014, 13:27 (Ref:3478903)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
It's a Sebring Sprite. I was told the origin of the name but can't remember what it was. I am sure that Ian will tell all in due course

Ah, so 'lumbertubs' is a Sprite and 'Burfs' is Ian someone!

Think I'm getting too old for all this code stuff.....
Old 26 Nov 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3478905)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a Sebring Sprite built in Lumbertubs Lane in a town in the Midlands IIRC - Northampton comes to mind. Built by the Myers brothers. There was a thread about it on these very pages when Burfs bought it. A tiny bit of Googling will find Ian's full name.

Do pay attention at the back!

As for MM - MidgetMan of course!
Old 26 Nov 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3478935)   #15
Burfs
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It's a Sebring Sprite built in Lumbertubs Lane in a town in the Midlands IIRC - Northampton comes to mind. Built by the Myers brothers. There was a thread about it on these very pages when Burfs bought it. A tiny bit of Googling will find Ian's full name.

Do pay attention at the back!

As for MM - MidgetMan of course!
Nice one Midgetman - spot on! I can add no more, other than a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Tubby donington.jpg  
Old 26 Nov 2014, 16:11 (Ref:3478944)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very smart! What engine are you running in it?
Old 26 Nov 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3479015)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfs View Post
Very nice!
Old 26 Nov 2014, 20:27 (Ref:3479023)   #18
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Will DAD10 be there?
I will ask the question for you Bob. Wish I still had my Sebring Sprite,
Old 26 Nov 2014, 20:33 (Ref:3479027)   #19
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have two invites

PBA DKW two stroke in FJs

Dow Corning EmKa Aston Martin in the Group C Demo

Rudolf
Old 26 Nov 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3479073)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Which DAD10 Elite as I understand a few had the registration.Les Leston had some amazing races in the car.Only pity is that I can remember watching the duals in period.

But will the race include Elites as thought it was for the slower GT cars?

The regular Elite included is Roger Wills which is a very good car.

The Pre 35 G P race will take some filling unless they let in a fleet of Bugattis.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 07:37 (Ref:3479192)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Very smart! What engine are you running in it?
That sadly is the issue wuith the Sebring Sprites, stunningly pretty but homologated with 998cc engine. I think we need to start re-introducing the engine size classes they had in period!
Old 27 Nov 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3479195)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

Would GW would be too worried if Ian turned up with a 1380, it certainly spices up the show
Old 27 Nov 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3479220)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfs View Post
Very pretty little car. With a name like lumbertubs, I had visions of something a bit beefier!
Old 28 Nov 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3479581)   #24
Burfs
Rookie

Quote:
Very pretty little car. With a name like lumbertubs, I had visions of something a bit beefier!
..well the cars nickname is "Tubby" named by my little son.....
Old 29 Nov 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3479868)   #25
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It's a Sebring Sprite built in Lumbertubs Lane in a town in the Midlands IIRC - Northampton comes to mind.
Sounds right - there is a Lumbertubs in Northampton.