Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Jan 2007, 19:10 (Ref:1813523)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aston Martin Racing 07 and beyond

With Lamy and Sarrazin in the Peugeot for 07 and now I see Enge will be in the PWL Ferrari in 07. There seems to be a mass exodus from AM/ Prodrive. With the impending sale(trying anyways) of Aston Martin by Ford what is the future of the marque in racing?? I hope that this is not a harbinger of doom to the program but it certainly makes one think!!

L.P.

Story on Enge http://www.petersenmotorsports.com/s...tem.asp?ID=294
Old 12 Jan 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1813544)   #2
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the racing programme was one of the factors that actually made them post a profit again last year (aside from having stunningly beautiful cars), after years of draught and losses. I think they are being sold exactly because they are worth something again.

And whoever is going to buy them will probably be aware of that and not interfere with the racing. Ulrich Bez, the current CEO, represents a Saudi consortium that might turn AM into an independent again if they should manage to acquire the brand and company IIRC.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 20:38 (Ref:1813583)   #3
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The mass exodus of drivers has me a bit worried about AMR's ALMS program.
Old 12 Jan 2007, 21:30 (Ref:1813628)   #4
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
The mass exodus of drivers has me a bit worried about AMR's ALMS program.
Yes but the AM/ Prodrive ALMS teams main sponsorship this year is supposed to be Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts. It may be an Intl. co. but the bulk of its properties and business is in the U.S. . So I am not sure that it is strictly an ALMS issue. As there seems to be monies in place to operate the team and I would think that the sponsors would want a ALMS effort. ??

L.P.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 01:22 (Ref:1813772)   #5
Alex Toropov
Racer

Alex Toropov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corvette is waiting for AM decision... to decide own plans for 2007 (a bit late to suddenly change them, I reckon, isn't it??)

Quote:
"I'm not entirely sure where we are going to be racing," Gavin said on the central stage at the Autosport show. "With the Corvettes, they're still deciding on whether it should be in Europe or in the ALMS again.

"We're waiting to see what Aston Martin are doing in terms of their programme - we're hoping they're going to come back and race us in the ALMS."
from autosport.com
Old 13 Jan 2007, 05:14 (Ref:1813812)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Yes but the AM/ Prodrive ALMS teams main sponsorship this year is supposed to be Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts. It may be an Intl. co. but the bulk of its properties and business is in the U.S. . So I am not sure that it is strictly an ALMS issue. As there seems to be monies in place to operate the team and I would think that the sponsors would want a ALMS effort. ??

L.P.
If there is an ALMS campaign this year, the question, as you said, is who's going to be driving it? All of the 4 regular AM drivers from last year now seem to have alternative drives lines up- Lamy & Sarrazin at Peugeot, Enge with PWL, and Turner with Seat in the BTCC.

Either the Peugeot-bound duo and Turner will still be available to AM for non-clashing races (I haven't checked the calendar to see if this viable, but there's still the question of Le Mans), or there's a big shake-up of Aston's driver squad about to be announced (maybe Piccini, Kox etc taking over the vacant drives?).

Could it be that with the programme in doubt, the drivers have jumped ship to avoid the risk of being out of a ride?

Just a totally irrational piece of speculation- could there have been any significance in that BMS Aston testing at Sebring after all....?
Old 13 Jan 2007, 05:38 (Ref:1813817)   #7
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Perhaps AM is happy with customer teams taking over now, and this could be BMS for the ALMS as KA pointed out. They have been seen testing.

I mean, it's not AM still has to convince people to by the DBR9. There are lots of them around in GT racing and they don't really need to promote it as such, which is why they perhaps came to an agreement with a good customer team to leave them the spotlight.

On the other hand side, Corvette coming to Europe to race in the LMS would be quite a treat as well, even though it would leave the ALMS limping.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 09:01 (Ref:1813872)   #8
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Either the Peugeot-bound duo and Turner will still be available to AM for non-clashing races (I haven't checked the calendar to see if this viable, )
Monza / Long Beach is the only real date clash, everything else is at least a week apart.

However being unavailable for even one round does, I feel, tend to reduce a driver's chance of getting a contract for a season drive...

Mariantic
Old 13 Jan 2007, 16:14 (Ref:1814350)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I thought Rickard Rydell had signed to be one of the drivers?
Old 13 Jan 2007, 16:46 (Ref:1814361)   #10
justbill
Rookie

United States
Pennsylvania
justbill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's all hope that Aston Martin continues with the same level of competitive involvement that they have over the past two years. Those big, beautiful DBR's would be sorely missed.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1814373)   #11
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Well Aston Martin Racing BMS and Aston Martin Racing Larbre are certainly continuing on, the only question is Aston Martin Racing itself.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1814405)   #12
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
Well Aston Martin Racing BMS and Aston Martin Racing Larbre are certainly continuing on, the only question is Aston Martin Racing itself.
I could be wrong but I thought that BMS was a "works" team! I know that they do a lot of development with a factory mule.

As for the other AM running teams they are privateers and have nothing to do with AM per say other than being customers. They would run the cars regardless of whether or not Aston Martin Racing exsists or not, they own them.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 13 Jan 2007 at 18:01.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1814420)   #13
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, Aston Martin Racing, Aston Martin Racing BMS (BMS Scuderia Italia), and Aston Martin Racing Larbre (Larbre Competition) are the 3 factory teams.

Aston Martin Racing I believe is run directly by Prodrive while BMS and Larbre are assisted by Prodrive.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 19:25 (Ref:1814445)   #14
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i would have thought if bms was a factory team they would have had a better season
Old 13 Jan 2007, 20:23 (Ref:1814477)   #15
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
They suffered on the Pirelli tires. All the other Aston privateers were on Michelin or Dunlops which seemed to perform better.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1814505)   #16
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Team owner Michael Petersen and entrant/team manager Dale White announced today that Tim Bergmeister and Tomas Enge will share the wheel of the No. 31 F430 GT. Bergmeister and Enge will race the Ferrari F430 GT together for the full, 12 race American Le Mans Series season beginning with the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on March 17"

Source: http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=2776

Well this is interesting. Former AM driver Tomas Enge is to co-driving the PWL Ferrari for 2007

Last edited by AU N EGL; 13 Jan 2007 at 21:03.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 21:22 (Ref:1814514)   #17
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
"Team owner Michael Petersen and entrant/team manager Dale White announced today that Tim Bergmeister and Tomas Enge will share the wheel of the No. 31 F430 GT. Bergmeister and Enge will race the Ferrari F430 GT together for the full, 12 race American Le Mans Series season beginning with the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on March 17"

Source: http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=2776

Well this is interesting. Former AM driver Tomas Enge is to co-driving the PWL Ferrari for 2007
Yes it is. First post in thread http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...t=92742&page=2

L.P.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 22:59 (Ref:1814574)   #18
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Prodrive's Aussie V8 drivers for 2007 Steven Richards and Mark Winterbottom have been mentioned as possible drivers in the AM factory squad but this would only be for the races where 3 drivers per car are required. I believe the uncertainty of AMs ALMS campaign has led to Enge moving on whilst employment in the BTCC is probably more financially rewarding for Turner. And why wouldn't Lamy and Sarazzin go for outright glory at Le Mans with Peugeot?
Old 13 Jan 2007, 23:43 (Ref:1814592)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1 or 2 drivers moving on is understandable, but the whole team seems to have broken up!
Old 13 Jan 2007, 23:59 (Ref:1814601)   #20
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
1 or 2 drivers moving on is understandable, but the whole team seems to have broken up!
Exactly, and that is what raised my curiousity!

L.P.

JAG; you have probably already seen it but here you go anyways.
http://www.the-paddock.net/newsphoto/Asi2007/asi21.jpg
http://www.the-paddock.net/newsphoto/Asi2007/asi34.jpg

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 14 Jan 2007 at 00:05.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 10:10 (Ref:1814741)   #21
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian
Perhaps AM is happy with customer teams taking over now, and this could be BMS for the ALMS as KA pointed out. They have been seen testing.
Thats what im hoping for . That AM support the privateer teams and Pratt & Miller do the same . For example technical and driver support .

It might look a little like that already for the AM teams , Larbre being the "official" team in LMS with 2 supported chassis and BMS being the "official team in the Fia GT with 2 as well .

Another possible is that , why is BMS testing in the ALMS , maybe they will run the ALMS for AMR or they will represent AMR in at least Sebring ?
Old 14 Jan 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1814851)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I thought Rickard Rydell had signed to be one of the drivers?
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=884
Old 14 Jan 2007, 16:53 (Ref:1814994)   #23
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Wouldnt surprise me to see Panis at Larbre !!!
Old 14 Jan 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1815132)   #24
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
at the autosport live action arena, aston martin 007 was using michelin tyres and had michelin stickers on. it still had its alms stickers on. am i reading into this more than it is?
Old 14 Jan 2007, 19:46 (Ref:1815136)   #25
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The 007 at the Autosport show was the version that ran at Le Mans in 2006. The most noticable difference is the large PlayStation Portable painted on the side.

They ran Le Mans with Michelins, and likely did still have their ALMS stickers on as well. So no, nothing to read into it.