Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 20 Feb 2004, 18:49 (Ref:880700)   #26
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went through the rest of the index on the Toyota site posted above, and some pics from a far distance of Scott Sharp's car (behind a Target Car on a straight) seems to indicate that there is a ver slight inward slope on the Dallara sidepods...

but that could be the paint job that creates that illusion....

If it is not an illusion, I can say with confidence that the inward slope of the sidepods on the G-Force are dramatically steeper and more pronounced than on the Dallara....

This could be for a number of reasons, but one that readily comes to mid is that slope creates a channel for air to pass through that directs it better to the rear wing than a flatter sidepod would...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Feb 2004, 20:35 (Ref:880782)   #27
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
I find it good looking as well
well at least you and i have good taste!!
Old 20 Feb 2004, 21:10 (Ref:880812)   #28
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You think there is any safety implications with the noses been that long and pointy? lots of pressure through a small surface area?
Old 20 Feb 2004, 23:27 (Ref:880928)   #29
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bigted
You think there is any safety implications with the noses been that long and pointy? lots of pressure through a small surface area?
I doubt it. All the high-performance military fighter jets have long, pointy noses, to increase there aerodynamics, and look at the high G's they pull! No safety issues there. If anything, it should make the car aerodynamicly better also. A longer pointy nose, should cut through the air better than a shorter, stubbier one. With the composite materials these cars are made from, there should be no strength or stress problems.

Although I sound like a trained professional(), this is just IMHO!
Old 21 Feb 2004, 01:53 (Ref:881021)   #30
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The needle nose cars don't look that *bad*.

Atleast they don't have tusks

Last edited by Hazza; 21 Feb 2004 at 02:02.
Old 21 Feb 2004, 02:06 (Ref:881025)   #31
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A-hah!

Now this is what an IRL car should look like
http://indyracing.artemisimages.com/...ctionID=&spec=
Old 21 Feb 2004, 02:15 (Ref:881027)   #32
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazza
A-hah!

Now this is what an IRL car should look like
http://indyracing.artemisimages.com/...ctionID=&spec=
I don't know Hazza, I like the newer G-Force better, but hey, what do I know!

As for the "tusks" on that Williams car, I just hope they don't take a bite out of Ferrari with them!
Old 21 Feb 2004, 07:27 (Ref:881143)   #33
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didnt like the Dallara last year with the flat nose all the way up to that 'hump' just before the driver, and the G-Force looked not bad (hated it when teams changed from G-Force to Dallara) and now this one is even uglier, long nose (even the short nose doesn't look any good) and the yuck engine cover, the G-Force looks good again and the sidepod flare looks cool.

Last edited by StuiE; 21 Feb 2004 at 07:28.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 22 Feb 2004, 19:02 (Ref:882036)   #34
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 2000 cars looked a lot better than this. The Dallara looked like a neat designed car and the G-Force was a bit more extreme but the nose wasn't as big.

The Dallara:

The G-Force:
Old 22 Feb 2004, 20:10 (Ref:882088)   #35
Charlex
Rookie

Argentina
Buenos Aires
Charlex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I doubt it. All the high-performance military fighter jets have long, pointy noses, to increase there aerodynamics, and look at the high G's they pull! No safety issues there.
I don't think it's a good comparison, because qhen designing the nose of a racing car, the main issue of safety if it will be safe on a front impact to the wall, not the Gs or the air pressure (of course it has to resits the also! but it's not the main worry) And, on the planes, you don't woory about front impacts, for obvious reasons. Unless you start providing a eject seat on the cars, you can't forget the front impact!
I hope no drivers will break theirs legs on that car, this season.

Another thing, I would like to ask the G Force drivers if the high sidepods don't interfiere with their vision.

I think Dallara F3 designs (and almost all their designs) are better and pretty everry new design, so why do you think it's the opposite in the IRL???