Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Aug 2021, 20:54 (Ref:4064694)   #101
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
We had three cars in Pre War with Michael Birch second overall in Talbot 105
The Lea Francais ran for first time in sixty years and eleventh was great result for a 1928 standard car.
The Alta steering tightened and it was decided to stop rather than have a possible incident
Will possibly have another go next weekend at 70 th anniversary Snetterton meeting.. They have availability if anyone wants to join us.
Fred Wakeman and Patrick Blakeney Edwards won race in their very quick Nash
Let’s hope the race continues on an annual basis at the Festival but needs handicap section and division between HTP cars and specials
Old 2 Aug 2021, 01:04 (Ref:4064748)   #102
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
What are you talking about?
the 30 seconds leading up to the Brands incident is on youtube - 2 cars banging door handles along a straight piece of track which is 4 cars wide.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 04:29 (Ref:4064751)   #103
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah OK.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 05:30 (Ref:4064762)   #104
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And, a few from Saturday - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWjAHCA
Old 2 Aug 2021, 07:34 (Ref:4064783)   #105
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
# 7864 in the same vein… Great, thanks again. I imagine a lot of waste during the pre-selection, right?
Old 2 Aug 2021, 08:03 (Ref:4064787)   #106
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always wonder if photographers actually see anything of the racing! You always seem pressed to the viewfinder, but thank you for your sacrifice - well worth it.

With the looming cloud over the Endurance Legends race, it was just like being at Le Mans in the gathering dusk. Amazingly the clouds blew away for the Mini race and we left in broad daylight again!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Aug 2021, 08:11 (Ref:4064792)   #107
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't yet seen all of Sunday's races, but I really do admire the perseverance and driving skills of all the competitors who managed to brave what I consider to have been pretty horrendous conditions.

Really put to shame the antics on a dry track at Oulton yesterday - 5 Red Flags in just 3 races caused by absolutely shocking driving standards.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 08:24 (Ref:4064795)   #108
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I always wonder if photographers actually see anything of the racing!
I've been working with real pros for a long while, like Francois Beau and Philippe Azemberger, and what amazes me is that they are able to recognize a pic taken several decades earlier! Easy when it comes to get the money for any copyright. Something writers cant definitely not do…
Old 2 Aug 2021, 08:35 (Ref:4064800)   #109
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Despite all the rain it was an enjoyable 4 days.
Some great racing and lots of places to visit.
No camera as I wanted to enjoy the racing and the chat with friends.
We will be back next year.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 08:50 (Ref:4064806)   #110
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I confess I left around 1pm yesterday. Got fed up with being rained on. Loads of pics to upload later.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 09:30 (Ref:4064826)   #111
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I always wonder if photographers actually see anything of the racing! You always seem pressed to the viewfinder, but thank you for your sacrifice - well worth it.

With the looming cloud over the Endurance Legends race, it was just like being at Le Mans in the gathering dusk. Amazingly the clouds blew away for the Mini race and we left in broad daylight again!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
I agree re photographers . . It's also worth noting the better snaps not only capture the car/driver and its characteristics but also set the scene. I have a few which capture everything beautifully. Often something simple like a road sign, or a significant backdrop.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 09:41 (Ref:4064829)   #112
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was only able to be there for Saturday this year but was absolutely brilliant. The weather just added extra excitement even if it did reduce the amount of racing at times. Calum Lockie's drive in the Thundersports was stunning to watch, even more jaw dropping to learn he was stuck in 5th gear for last few laps.

Here's my trackside vid if anyone interested, apologies for lack of shot locations:

https://youtu.be/-hkmtFHmcvM
Old 2 Aug 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4064831)   #113
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If you mean follow the ins and outs and strategy and so on - no, I don’t. When at an event (especially the 24hr races which are my real passion) I make no attempt at all to follow who is where. I often don’t know who won. I have tried listening to RLM but it is just distracting - they are never discussing what I am looking at so I miss both. And I can’t get my head around sitting in one spot with a screen on!

I instead immerse myself in the sensorial experience - sights, sounds, smells. Walking the track. Taking photos. Enjoying the atmosphere. Sunset, glowing discs, sunrise, dirty cars, tired mechanics.

When I get home I download the race I’ve just seen and watch it all, this time paying attention to the actual racing.

I feel like I get everything three times - the experience of being there, the photos I take, the watching it back.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 10:40 (Ref:4064839)   #114
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Here's my pics from Sunday: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWjEgLg
Old 2 Aug 2021, 11:49 (Ref:4064850)   #115
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Here's my pics from Sunday: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWjEgLg
Great photos Peter.... thanks for sharing.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 14:45 (Ref:4064895)   #116
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I always wonder if photographers actually see anything of the racing! You always seem pressed to the viewfinder, but thank you for your sacrifice - well worth it.........
Funnily enough that's why I packed in doing much circuit photography a couple of seasons ago and certainly no 'media photography' at all now. I was coming away from meetings with 1000s of photos but over time it dawned on me that I was missing out on enjoying the actual racing. Personally I can't do both - credit to those photographers that can.

In my case it wasn't helped by the constant 'one way street' of some drivers / owners (not on here) wanting freebies, editors, clubs and people generally 'snaffling' copyrighted photos for their social media etc.

So now I just largely go to watch. Back on topic - enjoyed both days of watching Silverstone on Youtube - decent coverage on the whole and some good racing here & there. And I stayed dry! Well done to all involved.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 15:36 (Ref:4064906)   #117
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
# 7864 in the same vein… Great, thanks again. I imagine a lot of waste during the pre-selection, right?
Thanks - yes, some work, some don't ! Race night is picking out a few that look good and come back to the rest later ...
Old 2 Aug 2021, 16:00 (Ref:4064911)   #118
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I think every type of "subject" is particular. Back in the day, instead of giving money a mate photographer (cars, racing cars and bikes) suggested he could make pics of my daughter during the F championship of horse riding/jumping. It took at least two days to him to have an acceptable pic!
You must know this I presume: https://www.passionlemans.fr/
Old 2 Aug 2021, 19:37 (Ref:4064974)   #119
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Thanks - yes, some work, some don't ! Race night is picking out a few that look good and come back to the rest later ...

Well thanks for your pix, Dave - particularly the Alfas, of course!
Old 2 Aug 2021, 20:18 (Ref:4064984)   #120
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Quote:
A good point. As a long term motorsport fan who occasionally took photos, I am now much more of a photographer who occasionally finds out who won races !

I find myself looking at where the sun is, what the background is and how to produce a better composed image. Thus MSV red bins, Silverstone's fences and gravel traps all provides their own challenges.

Trying to move from simply documenting the sport in a competent manner (getting blurry wheels / car or bike in focus sort of stuff) to creating interesting images.
Old 3 Aug 2021, 20:38 (Ref:4065202)   #121
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A selection from the weekend - I've edited a few in B&W in order to highlight the amount of spray/water that was evident at times.
Regarding following the racing - I find that it all depends on how much of an investment I have in the race/series.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03641 1.jpg   DSC03769 1.jpg   DSC04786.jpg  

DSC04803.jpg   DSC04961.jpg   DSC06009.jpg  

Old 3 Aug 2021, 20:40 (Ref:4065204)   #122
percy
Racer

...and a few more.
Driver of the F2 Chevron was shaken but uninjured.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04221 1.jpg   DSC05881.jpg   DSC05912.jpg  

Old 4 Aug 2021, 06:01 (Ref:4065217)   #123
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
A selection from the weekend - I've edited a few in B&W in order to highlight the amount of spray/water that was evident at times.
Regarding following the racing - I find that it all depends on how much of an investment I have in the race/series.
The black & white pics are brilliant - so much more dramatic! Well done.
Old 4 Aug 2021, 07:59 (Ref:4065221)   #124
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Team Delta had a very good weekend with my apprentice"as JR calls him" winning both the FJ races.Wonderful to be able to watch the race when I got home. Would of been two outright wins but I cocked up on his settings Sunday morning.With a few laps left it started to dry out and Richard was catching the leader fast but then another shower came so that was that.
I only took the one picture of my all time favorite car. Turns out a fellow FJ racer owns the March and we have had some great races together over the years. He is also a Tenths Lurker so a small world.This car is just perfect.
Click image for larger version

Name:	March 732 Silverstone Classic 2021.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	69968
Old 4 Aug 2021, 10:13 (Ref:4065256)   #125
percy
Racer

Here you go Iain - this is what it looks like on track...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05652 1.jpg