Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 19 Feb 2004, 17:51 (Ref:879537)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ben Collins looks set to join PDM

PDM Racing is finalizing a deal with the British Tourism Board to have 2003 ASCAR champion Ben Collins run a Dallara/Chevrolet/Firestone. If he passes his rookie test and a 3.5-liter engine can be secured, Collins could make his debut in the Indy 200 Copper World Classic on March 21 at Phoenix International Raceway.

“We have the funds to run Phoenix, but it's now a supply and demand issue with the engines,” PDM Racing co-owner Larry Arnold said. “We’d like to have Ben in a car in a race before the (Indianapolis 500).”

Arnold said he has a commitment from Chevrolet to provide a 3.0-liter engine, which will be used in the IndyCar Series beginning with the 500-Mile Race.

Collins, 28, would join Mark Taylor of London, Darren Manning of North Yorkshire, England, Dan Wheldon of Emberton, England, and Dario Franchitti of Edinburgh, Scotland, on the circuit.

A British tourism-British driver concept in the IRL has been on the drawing board for a few years, according to David Chapman of “Go Britain Racing.”

“PDM was the appropriate team to approach,” said Chapman, who noted that Go Britain Racing was a minor sponsor of the PDM car with Ed Carpenter for the final three races of the 2003 season. “PDM needs something like this, but they’re also a capable team. They just seem to try hard. They need to succeed; we need to succeed

Good news for PDM, a full time sponsor is realy all they've been lacking. Nice to see another Brit in the series too

Full story.

Edit - changed the thread title in response to yesterday's news

Last edited by Down F0rce; 21 Feb 2004 at 15:03.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 00:30 (Ref:879960)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
dont really know much about Mr Collins except that he has done sportscars the last few years , I wish him well and hope they can get an engine.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 01:13 (Ref:879989)   #3
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, I am going to ask a really stupid question.
Who is PDM? :confused: I've seen those initials so many times but was afraid to ask (Panther?)
I apologize for my stupidity It's been one of those "my brain was fried from work today"
Old 20 Feb 2004, 07:30 (Ref:880126)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No stupidity at all; PDM is not a newcomer in the series, It's well known for being a small budget team, but one of the nicest; if you visit their box, there's always a beer for you.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 07:52 (Ref:880140)   #5
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben Collins is a former race winner in Indy Lights as well as a qualified lawyer (if I remember correct). He also won some races in ASCAR so he seems to go well in circles.

Good luck!

I will not be watching though - crazy race series...
Old 20 Feb 2004, 12:15 (Ref:880338)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
PDM have tended to run partial schedules for rookies in the past, although they gave Sam Hornish his first break in 2000. It's hard to know how competitive they can be with a full-season driver and good backing. Considering Ben's oval experience and obvious talent, this could be a dark horse in the ROTY honours, although missing the opener won't help.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 16:49 (Ref:880603)   #7
Mike.ca
Racer

Mike.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Collins raced in Indy lights in 1999. In 12 races, he had one podium finish (2nd at Fontana), three other top tens, and scored 50 points to rank 13th in the champonship, which was won by Servia. Indy Lights stats can be found at motorsport.com.
Old 20 Feb 2004, 21:42 (Ref:880832)   #8
MLM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by climb
No stupidity at all; PDM is not a newcomer in the series, It's well known for being a small budget team, but one of the nicest; if you visit their box, there's always a beer for you.
Thanks! I'll have to drop by their box sometime (although a lot of you know I prefer a glass of wine...but hey, I won't quibble over a free drink )
Old 20 Feb 2004, 23:16 (Ref:880915)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MLM
[B (although a lot of you know I prefer a glass of wine...but hey, I won't quibble over a free drink ) [/B]
Thats the spirit MLM!

Good luck to PDM and Collins, and that adds another car to the grid, making 20. Its probably not the last late entry either.
Old 21 Feb 2004, 00:02 (Ref:880954)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
a nice story about PDM that I have heard.

it is set up by a group of mechanics that worked for different teams over the years they decided to start their own team and once they got everything in place they had to come up with a name.

this is where PDM came about.

apparently it stands for Poor Dumb Mechanics.

I dunno how true this is but amusing if its true

good on them I say !!!

Last edited by marcus; 21 Feb 2004 at 00:05.
Old 21 Feb 2004, 01:01 (Ref:880993)   #11
MLM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Thats the spirit MLM!

Well,GP,after all the letdowns, feuding, bitterness....of the last few years, I'm ready to go on with life (again!)
Heck, it seems like all I've been doing the last 4-5 years is letting go and starting anew(reinventing oneself,I guess you could say).
Good luck to PDM....I'm pulling for these folks already.

Last edited by MLM; 21 Feb 2004 at 01:03.
Old 21 Feb 2004, 14:59 (Ref:881386)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
PDM confirms driver for 2004: PDM Racing signed British driver Ben Collins on Feb. 20 to drive its No. 18 PDM Racing Dallara/Chevrolet/Firestone.

"We are very excited to have Ben drive for the team this year," team co-owner Larry Arnold said. "He comes to the series with an impressive and diverse racing resume. He has won a lot of races in various disciplines, and makes a great fit for the team and for the league."

Collins, who lives in London, won six of the 13 events for the Deuce Racing RML team to clinch the 2003 ASCAR Championship, a British stock car racing series.

PDM Racing will conduct a rookie test for Collins at the Phoenix International Raceway, prior to the March 21 Copper World Indy 200. - From indyracing.com

Well done to PDM and to Ben, shame they won't make the season start but I'll be looking foward to Phoenix
Old 23 Feb 2004, 01:33 (Ref:882340)   #13
pshoe001
Rookie

pshoe001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's Paul Diatlovich Motorsports (PDM)

Linkie

A fun team to follow. With a good driver and funding, I expect this team to do well.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 04:07 (Ref:882418)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
ahhhhhhh well there ya go , thanks pshoe , I guess the story I heard was incorrect then , bummer sounded good too
Old 23 Feb 2004, 04:35 (Ref:882423)   #15
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
They sound like Aussies!!
Old 23 Feb 2004, 13:10 (Ref:882745)   #16
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I've heard that story too, I guess it was a joke by the team. Not suprising really, they seem to be one of the friendliest ones out there
Old 23 Feb 2004, 21:21 (Ref:883265)   #17
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I'm alittle slow, but I just realized that with the addition of Collins, that makes 5 British drivers in the series!

Wow, thats really an incredible amount, when you consider there are only 20 full time drivers in the series. I would think that this would make the League very popular in Great Britain now! Will the British fans be clamoring for better TV coverage? Will they follow more closely now? How do the Brits feel about the IRL anyway?

With only 2 Brits left in F1, and none in WRC, I would think the IRL will be bigger than ever over there.

Danica Patrick
Old 23 Feb 2004, 21:30 (Ref:883276)   #18
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
You'd think so...I'm not so sure it's as popular as it could be. We do get very good TV coverage here though. I think the amount of Brits will help increase interest though
Old 23 Feb 2004, 21:37 (Ref:883284)   #19
MLM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by pshoe001
It's Paul Diatlovich Motorsports (PDM)

Linkie

A fun team to follow. With a good driver and funding, I expect this team to do well.
Thanks for the linkie and thanks to everyone for answering my question and for not laughing in my face over my ignorance.
(keep in mind I'm a CART fan who is learning more about the IRL...I'm kinda slow, too,GP )

Last edited by MLM; 23 Feb 2004 at 21:37.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 00:47 (Ref:883473)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by MLM

(keep in mind I'm a CART fan who is learning more about the IRL...I'm kinda slow, too,GP )
You've come to the right place for salvation, MLM!
Old 24 Feb 2004, 11:26 (Ref:883841)   #21
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I know I'm alittle slow, but I just realized that with the addition of Collins, that makes 5 British drivers in the series!

Wow, thats really an incredible amount, when you consider there are only 20 full time drivers in the series. I would think that this would make the League very popular in Great Britain now! Will the British fans be clamoring for better TV coverage? Will they follow more closely now? How do the Brits feel about the IRL anyway?

With only 2 Brits left in F1, and none in WRC, I would think the IRL will be bigger than ever over there.
Actually, the coverage of the IRL is already very good. Sky Sports shows all the races; they switched from CART in 2002 to IRL in 2003. Sky is a satellite station, I think between 5% and 10% of the UK population get that station. It's difficult to gauge how popular the series is, though. The British drivers involved are actually mostly unknown, so it's not like Mansell in 1993

My impression is that IndyCar itself is equally unknown. For example, I think ChampCar still gets more interest from magazines like Autosport or even dedicated F1 magazines. I think there should be enough interest to keep IndyCar on Sky Sports, but it'll stay pretty insignificant compared to WRC and F1. Even if there were no British drivers in F1, most of the teams are British, so it'd still have huge appeal.

Anyone else on this side of the pond have a different picture? It'd be interesting to know how popular US racing is around Europe.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 11:28 (Ref:883843)   #22
Testure
Veteran

Actually, how many US drivers are there left in IndyCar now? I know there'll be lots of one-offs for the Indy 500, but what about the full season?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 12:16 (Ref:883911)   #23
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Full-time US drivers;

Alex Barron, Team Cheever
Robbie Buhl, Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
Ed Carpenter, Team Cheever
AJ Foyt IV, Team Conseco Foyt Racing
Bryan Herta, Andretti-Green Racing
Sam Hornish Jr., Penske Racing
Scott Sharp, Kelley Racing
Greg Ray, Access Motorsports

Additional Drivers depending on sponsorship;

Sarah Fisher, Kelley Racing (if sponsorship can be found it might turn into a full season gig)
Buddy Rice, Team Rahal (granted sponsorship can be found once Kenny returns, anyway)
Al Unser Jr., Pat Patrick (looks rather bleak right now though, as Patrick has stayed silent)
Old 24 Feb 2004, 12:31 (Ref:883933)   #24
Testure
Veteran

Excellent, danke rustyfan. I didn't want to try and guess from looking at the names
Old 24 Feb 2004, 13:52 (Ref:884025)   #25
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Matsurra is also American, so that makes 9 full-time Americans, which is almost half of the field.

I wouldn't want it to drop any lower than that though, because it could turn away any future young American drivers, from even trying to get a seat. I believe the host country of any series owes that countries young, hopeful drivers their support if they are good enough.

Testure, I posted awhile back, that for 2003, Autosport named 5 IRL drivers to their top 50 drivers list. Maybe there beginning to get some respect and recognition. That's more than they ever named before.

Danica Patrick