Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jul 2006, 06:40 (Ref:1646009)   #1
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race marshal almost run over.

Did anyone else see the footage of a slightly rotund, flouro orange clad trackside marshall cross the track in R2 ?

The vision showed it to be a close call, but the angle may have made it look worse (closer) than it actually was.

CH serious took a serious view of it, with Diffycult claiming "there will be an investigation into this", and made unkind comments about the poor bloke being built for comfort, not speed.

Any comments;
There may well have been a legitimate reason this bloke did it, but Ch serious have hung him already, Race Control may have directed him to cross the track??
Old 2 Jul 2006, 07:38 (Ref:1646032)   #2
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see any valid reason why someone would be asked to run across a green track with cars doing 200km/h closing in - what if he'd tripped over?

Be interesting to see if the NT OH&S want footage of that - hey - if it's good enough for VIC club racing, then.......
Old 2 Jul 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1646038)   #3
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Maybe he thought he was a kangaroo.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 08:14 (Ref:1646047)   #4
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nearly had the same outcome....
Old 2 Jul 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1646050)   #5
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRabbit
I can't see any valid reason why someone would be asked to run across a green track with cars doing 200km/h closing in - what if he'd tripped over?

Be interesting to see if the NT OH&S want footage of that - hey - if it's good enough for VIC club racing, then.......
Nice work rabbit, do CAMS have a policy for that, i'm sure they do, if not they could write one, implement it retrospectivly & remove the gentleman's CAMS officials licence.

If he actually has one, don't Hidden Vally, 'go their own way' so to speak?
Old 2 Jul 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1646054)   #6
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Removing his CAMS license...

Hoot.

It's the promoter that decides who works at the circiut. Not CAMS.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1646060)   #7
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
and Diffy isn't exactly an athlete....looks like he's had his share of pies and cherry ripes..
Old 2 Jul 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1646129)   #8
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try removing the license of the sector marshall, 9/10 times its done under sector marshall instructions, anyone whose worked trackside knows this...
Old 2 Jul 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1646133)   #9
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Removing his CAMS license...

Hoot.

It's the promoter that decides who works at the circiut. Not CAMS.
But if you want to work at the Sandown 500 you will need to produce your valid CAMS Officials Licence to collect your credentials, or at least that's what my invitation to apply to work at it letter said.

So was any action taken when a VESA official allowed promotional personnel to cross a hot track recently (over ruling a local official who was in direct radio contact with Race Control) only to have race cars drive past soon after.........
Old 2 Jul 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1646137)   #10
Matt H
Veteran

Matt H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mine said that too knackers....

we know vesa can do what they want :P
Old 2 Jul 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1646141)   #11
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
But if you want to work at the Sandown 500 you will need to produce your valid CAMS Officials Licence to collect your credentials, or at least that's what my invitation to apply to work at it letter said.

So was any action taken when a VESA official allowed promotional personnel to cross a hot track recently (over ruling a local official who was in direct radio contact with Race Control) only to have race cars drive past soon after.........

Does it really ?

I need to go through the bin & dig it out, then send it to the ACCC for a determination on restraint of trade...

Hang on i'm not getting paid, (so apparantly according to a Ms Richards i'm not an employee)

Well in that case it's discrimination, so I guess me & the Shiraz kid are off to V-CAT to sort this one out.

If I apply for & get a AASA officials licence will that do ??????

Geez I wish I was a koorie, then i'd nail him 2 ways.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1646148)   #12
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get paid when I work trackside.

I get a lunch

A guest pass

A BBQ at the end of the day.

It works out to be about $1.65 per hour for weekend work.

Work Choices hey.........

Yeah Paul, I see Davo wants us to have a CAMS license too. But if they AGP cant get 100% licenced officials what hope has Davo got....
Old 2 Jul 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1646161)   #13
taylz
Rookie

taylz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This happened RIGHT in front of me - I was sitting in one of the corporate tents on the outside of the track. There was a massive collective gasp as this guy ran across the track, absolutely nobody could believe he did it. He copped a pretty major ribbing from the entire crowd for it, and from what I hear a pretty major dressing down by his fellow official once he got back to his point. No doubt there will be more to come from it...
From where I was sitting (he was running away from where I was sitting) it looked REALLY close. In fact the general consensus from the crowd was that the BOC car that nearly collected him did indeed have to brake to avoid him. (people were mentioning that they did see brake lights...)
Old 2 Jul 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1646192)   #14
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But what was he running towards? The smouldering Dumbrell car?
Old 2 Jul 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1646233)   #15
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
But what was he running towards? The smouldering Dumbrell car?
Yep
Old 2 Jul 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1646708)   #16
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
Does it really ?

I need to go through the bin & dig it out, then send it to the ACCC for a determination on restraint of trade...

Hang on i'm not getting paid, (so apparantly according to a Ms Richards i'm not an employee)

Well in that case it's discrimination, so I guess me & the Shiraz kid are off to V-CAT to sort this one out.

If I apply for & get a AASA officials licence will that do ??????

Geez I wish I was a koorie, then i'd nail him 2 ways.
Hey come on Uncle, CAMS are being really pro-active with their OH&S stuff, you may have seen the information sent out to car clubs about their responsibility to report injuries to WorkSafe, it would be really good if they actually got their information right and complete before sending it out, it appears to be some more scare tactics from CAMS to frighten the little clubs and to ensure they stay under CAMS protective wings and not jump to the alternative -

I also hear a WorkSafe Officer thought the information from CAMS was a little misleading

I am sure we will hear some more about this little gem from CAMS

Last edited by Aquarius; 2 Jul 2006 at 19:59.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1646744)   #17
Aquarius
Racer

whoops, just saw this a thread on this subject already, my apologies for taking this thread off topic.

I couldn't believe me eyes either, nothing is that important that you risk you life for it.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1646878)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They seem to be a bit trigger happy with fires in NT. What about the ute (fire vehicle, I'm guessing) trying to drag Skaifey in Practice?

I don't think Diffey's comments were unkind - maybe hypocritical and unnecessary though.

Obviously he acted on his own, but why would anyone do that?
Old 2 Jul 2006, 23:47 (Ref:1646896)   #19
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
They seem to be a bit trigger happy with fires in NT. What about the ute (fire vehicle, I'm guessing) trying to drag Skaifey in Practice?

I don't think Diffey's comments were unkind - maybe hypocritical and unnecessary though.

Obviously he acted on his own, but why would anyone do that?
I'd agree about trigger happy, the car dropped a cylinder, all the smoke was coming out the exhaust pipe, the oil fire was burning in the engine/exhaust system, and if one bloke thinks he can solve that with an extinguisher, then he is the sort of person that would cross a hot track.

Thankfully he wasn't carrying an extinguisher with him as he crossed, the consequences of struggling to run with it could be fatal.
(anyone seen the footage from Kyalami in Sth Africa from the 70's....ouch)
Old 3 Jul 2006, 00:47 (Ref:1646916)   #20
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Dumbrell was out of the car wasn't he? Maybe, just maybe, the marshall thought Dumbrell was about to be trapped in a burning car...
Old 3 Jul 2006, 02:13 (Ref:1646931)   #21
Aquarius
Racer

So?

The first thing you are trained in, be it in first aid or responding to an emergency is put yourself first no matter what. There is no excuse for doing what he did.

So he gets hit by a car, what good is he then?
Old 3 Jul 2006, 02:43 (Ref:1646939)   #22
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
I realise that, I'm just trying to think what would posess someone to be so crazy.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 02:57 (Ref:1646943)   #23
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
(anyone seen the footage from Kyalami in Sth Africa from the 70's....ouch)
I have and it was a bit like that HBA ad where the kid says "my arm went this way and my leg went that way" but in this case his head also went a different way as well.

I showed the footage to a paramedic mate of mine and even he cringed watching it.

I DO NOT HAVE A STRONG STOMACH....GTRMagic

Last edited by GTRMagic; 3 Jul 2006 at 09:18.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 04:37 (Ref:1646967)   #24
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
If you have a strong stomach you can view it here but you have been warned
Just so everyone's clear (and for those who don't know), this is footage of Tom Pryce's fatal accident at Kyalami.

His Shadow team-mate Renzo Zorzi had parked his car on the opposite side of the pit straight just beyond the crest of the hill, and a small fire had started burning in the engine bay. Two marshalls decided to cross the track to try and put the fire out, one carrying an extinguisher.

A group of cars came over the crest to be met with said marshall running across the road. Pryce hit the marshall carrying the extinguisher. The impact killed both Pryce and the marshall, Pryce being decapitated by the impact with the extinguisher.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 06:56 (Ref:1647024)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must say that accident was the first thing that crossed my mind also when i saw that happening (especially considering Dumbrell's car was parked on the inside with an engine problem, just as Jensen van Vurren was running to Zorzi's stranded Shadow that had an engine problem).

William - Price wasn't decapitated in the accident, his helmet did come off though.