Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Jun 2007, 02:52 (Ref:1945942)   #1
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2008 Mini Challenge (Merged x2)

BMW have announced a new one make series for 2008. The Mini Challenge will run over eight rounds possibly as a part of the V8 Supercar Calendar.
The full release is now up on the In Pit Lane website www.pitlanepr.com/inpitlane
Old 25 Jun 2007, 03:10 (Ref:1945943)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting timing of this release coming out the day after the fracas in the Carrera Cup garages.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Jun 2007, 03:13 (Ref:1945944)   #3
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sounds good, hopefully they will replace the little windup noddy cars.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 03:34 (Ref:1945946)   #4
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another one make series, just what we need.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 03:38 (Ref:1945949)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hopefully, there will be potential to include this as a class at BIMF
Old 25 Jun 2007, 03:49 (Ref:1945953)   #6
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Cams dollar reaction response at the expense of motorsport.Cams dollar drive to get into bed with "manufacturers" rather than recognise the actual members needs is an overwhelming disgrace.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 05:17 (Ref:1945985)   #7
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will CAMS ever learn???

Also, i know that there was a lot of talk about a Subaru one make series since Subaru have moved into the building at turn 1 at Eastern Creek. Does anyone know anything and if that is still happening?

Go the Datto!!!
Old 25 Jun 2007, 05:21 (Ref:1945987)   #8
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reminds me of the Toyota Open Wheelers story RPM did on Saturday, they're thinking of getting them going here.

We don't need them and we don't need this BMW series. If you want to race an open wheeler look at F3, i yo want to race a mini I'm sure one of the many fractured production car camps can accomodate you.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 06:19 (Ref:1946004)   #9
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot
Reminds me of the Toyota Open Wheelers story RPM did on Saturday, they're thinking of getting them going here.

We don't need them and we don't need this BMW series. If you want to race an open wheeler look at F3, i yo want to race a mini I'm sure one of the many fractured production car camps can accomodate you.
Not getting into the merits of the Mini thing, I actually would not mind a Toyota like open wheel series. Formula 3 is only undergoing a minor boost in numbers and costs still vary greatly on which end of the grid you want to run.

I would personally applaud an affordable and fast open wheel category to give some younger drivers the chance to shine and potentially develop a different career path than the norm.

There has been a massive growth in open wheel categories world wide and in our own region. Australia has seen this largely bypass us and I think if we want to be seen as relevant in the motorsport world we need some drivers following the Briscoe/Courtney path and being supported.

A professionally run one make open wheeler series will bring more dollars and "prestige" into the no fender world and help facilitate this.

cheers

Ross
Old 25 Jun 2007, 06:19 (Ref:1946005)   #10
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Once Toyoto realise it is ONLY about money-the money they need to pay Cams-- it is all over for F3 etc. Toyoto were naive enough to try and argue the merit of the concept- ok enough to a point-- but will eventually bite the bullet and pay the asking price-- then off we all go with Formula Toyoto.
Cams-- and we are referring to the board and the paid hierachy-- believe that they are there to maximise the income into Cams. What the rank and file think,want or believe is irrelevent to these people.
Many of the apologist believers that are around still seem to think that Cams is there for the members, like some sort of democratic institution -- it is not. One of those same "heads"( put any letter you like in front of that) also stated that the monies paid by actual members was insignificant and irrelevent to Cams-- and as such 'why would anybody care" what they( members) wanted!! Cams is there to do deals with commercial organisations- that is the charter they think they have.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 10:57 (Ref:1946198)   #11
kosher_pig
Rookie

kosher_pig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the v8 mob will be happy now...no way a Mini will be faster than a supertaxi like the porsches were
Old 25 Jun 2007, 11:29 (Ref:1946221)   #12
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One make series will be the death of racing in Australia if CAMS keeps letting this happen. I suppose it all starts with the reasoning that if the Taxis can be promoted as the pinacle of Australian Motorsport with just two makes, any series which allows the same, or greater variety, will be a threat to the establishment.
Give that, maybe ANYTHING that can get openwheelers back before the public is welcome. If it will do it then roll out the Toyotas. They do after all sell more vehicles in Oz than either of the American brands.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 12:29 (Ref:1946268)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Cadell
Not getting into the merits of the Mini thing, I actually would not mind a Toyota like open wheel series. Formula 3 is only undergoing a minor boost in numbers and costs still vary greatly on which end of the grid you want to run.

I would personally applaud an affordable and fast open wheel category to give some younger drivers the chance to shine and potentially develop a different career path than the norm.
If Formula Toyota works to the detriment of F3 than that isnt a positive for Australian Open Wheel.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 12:40 (Ref:1946278)   #14
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F3 is brilliant racing but it does not have the big money push behind it to get the media exposure needed the be the premier class. Like it or hate it Toyota have the money, the market power and media savy to get open domestic wheeler racing the sort of exposure that the one engine formulas have in Europe.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 12:46 (Ref:1946281)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota needs to make an F3 engine and then it solves all our problems.

I just feel if F3 gets cut off in Australia, even with FToyota more drivers will be inclined stay domestically and just follow each other into touring cars
Old 25 Jun 2007, 12:55 (Ref:1946292)   #16
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Interesting timing of this release coming out the day after the fracas in the Carrera Cup garages.....

What happened in CC?
Old 25 Jun 2007, 16:48 (Ref:1946474)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its in the CC thread (and today's edition of MNews)... an alleged physical confrontation between the owner of the CC series, and the driver of car #8... big fines handed out... a huge "please explain" note from PCA...

The same group are allegedly running the Mini series for BMW
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Jun 2007, 23:55 (Ref:1946859)   #18
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosher_pig
I suppose the v8 mob will be happy now...no way a Mini will be faster than a supertaxi like the porsches were
I think Carrera Cup is contracted as support category to V8's until 2010? Don't be too hard on the V8's...they do have to run around on Dunlops. Would be interesting to see time comparison if they also used the Michelins.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 00:09 (Ref:1946862)   #19
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Its in the CC thread (and today's edition of MNews)... an alleged physical confrontation between the owner of the CC series, and the driver of car #8... big fines handed out... a huge "please explain" note from PCA...

The same group are allegedly running the Mini series for BMW
Not the "owner" per se involved in the blue, but the father figure who provided the money to buy the category. New CEO must be wishing he was back with Rugby...less violence, back-stabbing, inflated egos and moronic behaviour!...and thats just from the off-field players.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 08:39 (Ref:1947043)   #20
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't read such an interesting press release for a long time.

The BS level is so high even the Werribee Sewerage plant would strugle to keep up.

I wonder if you can enter with a cross flow head Super Mini from the 70's
Old 26 Jun 2007, 20:43 (Ref:1947603)   #21
Martin Collins
Rookie

New Zealand
Hampton Downs
Martin Collins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Team,
I thought I could share with you an insiders point of view on this topic. I left my Team Managers role with TKR at the end of the 2005 season to setup the MINI Challenge series here in NZ. As with many of you I to thought we had enough classes and this was just going to make it worse. Well I believe (very one eyed) it is a fantastic one make class for many reasons.
This class has been around for many years in Europe and is growing worldwide, it is support to a few F1 meetings in Europe already and often has high profile drivers (ex F1 etc) driving in it.
The cars are the lastest model, very fast, huge brakes (front almost Supercar size) and provide some great racing. It is very affordable racing and as the cars cannot be modified other than suspension setup it ensures the races are won by the best driver not the one with the biggest budget.
It has already proven to be a great feeder class here in NZ with Karters progressing through to our top touring cars following a year in MINI Challenge.
You will see some great racing and the key thing is that many of you could afford to be part of it.

Cheers
Martin
Old 26 Jun 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1947681)   #22
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What sort of budget would you need to do a season based on your NZ experience?

They looked ok on TV, and there was a lot of coverage provided to cars that crashed/spun/almost lost it.

The only hope is that the controls and cost caps can be kept a lid on which Formula Toyota promised, but haven't been able to manage to the point where an "Arrive and Drive" deal can now cost $250,000 for the 6 or 7 rounds.

From a beginner's perspective, how hard are the cars to drive competitively?
Old 26 Jun 2007, 22:46 (Ref:1947683)   #23
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain
Sounds good, hopefully they will replace the little windup noddy cars.

With more little windup noddy cars?!?
Old 26 Jun 2007, 22:48 (Ref:1947686)   #24
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

Here, here!! At least this will get them off F3's back for a while. They were trying very hard to get FBMW in downhere.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 22:52 (Ref:1947688)   #25
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Did they promise you a franchise to say that?!?

Quote:
Then save your applause because FT is no more affordable than F3 and is looked upon as another localised hot rod championship in the big picture (i.e. outside of the sphere of influence of local media and lobby groups)

Quote:
There has been a massive growth in open wheel categories world wide and in our own region. Australia has seen this largely bypass us and I think if we want to be seen as relevant in the motorsport world we need some drivers following the Briscoe/Courtney path and being supported.

A professionally run one make open wheeler series will bring more dollars and "prestige" into the no fender world and help facilitate this.

cheers

Ross
Wow, they must have promised you two franchises for that.

Much of the reason that the open wheel phenomenom has bypassed us is due to the bewildering pull tourings cars have over both spectators and future competitors.

Last edited by Chucky; 26 Jun 2007 at 22:54.