Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Aug 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2263326)   #51
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Griffiths
Just found the regs on the AvD site, and they don't really help.
Let me have a look at my paperwork when I get home tonight and see if I can find the answer
Old 4 Aug 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2263328)   #52
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks John.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2263341)   #53
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oldtimers

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
It would be good to meet you if you pop over to the Masters unit sometime over the weekend......if it's gossip you're after.......
I'll be there, providing I can get past the desk (Jill Carter)
Old 4 Aug 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2263353)   #54
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
I'll be there, providing I can get past the desk (Jill Carter)
Just ask for me! Say that you're from the News of the World and you want to interview me!

If I'm not around, they'll know where I am and when I'll be back.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2263376)   #55
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
I'll be there, looking after the Masters races, although if anybody else has a problem that I can help with, I'll do my best
What a very niceman you are John.Can you sort out a table at that nice steak house for me and the Count please.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 18:13 (Ref:2263377)   #56
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was,Das Pistonclauser?

Which John are you talking about Iain?
Old 4 Aug 2008, 18:24 (Ref:2263385)   #57
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
For first timers at Ring try looking at the Old Paddock.The food and booze is better down there and nothing much has changed for the past 70 years.
They are supposed to be getting the upper paddock cleared this year as it has been as bad as Silverstone in all previous years
Assume they will just use GP Pits for Marathon.You should have seen refueling area on the old circuit,As far as race organisation,it's the only time I have seen three false starts for a Ten Lapper
Old 4 Aug 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2263408)   #58
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Was,Das Pistonclauser?

Which John are you talking about Iain?
Theres only one Johnee Gee only one Johnee Gee.One Johnee Gee only one Johnee Gee.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2263444)   #59
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Theres only one Johnee Gee only one Johnee Gee.One Johnee Gee only one Johnee Gee.

Ah,That one I'll assume there were no on the spot questions Iain.?
Old 5 Aug 2008, 04:39 (Ref:2263545)   #60
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
NPP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
For first timers at Ring try looking at the Old Paddock.The food and booze is better down there and nothing much has changed for the past 70 years.
Thank you. Are there any indications on which cars will be placed where in the paddock? And what would be a good place to spectate from? Unfortunately, the Nurburgring site does not have a map of the stands which will be open for this particular event.

I am very much looking forward to the racing and to seeing the cars, and my wife is looking forward to bemusedly observing the unintelligible enthusiasm of middle-aged (and over) men for machinery which, with lots of noise etc., fulfils no particular purpose except going round in circles ...

NPP
Old 5 Aug 2008, 06:58 (Ref:2263560)   #61
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
But in this case a very long irregular circle.
It is THE best circuit in the world though.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2263599)   #62
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Griffiths
As I'm a Nordschleife Marathon novice, can anybody tell me what the pit lane arrangements are likely to be? Some will be using the Grand Prix circuit pits but presumably not everyone, so where is the other pitlane entry and exit?
Mark
The paperwork that I have does not make it clear. I don't read German but, from the English translation, it would APPEAR that pits used will be those on the GP circuit. However, I'm sure all will be confirmed at the briefing. Once again, good luck.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2263606)   #63
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
If you arrive on Thusday pay the 20 Euros to do a lap at the Old Circuit and note where the Spectators are .This is where the action is.Try Going to Brunchen and walking back to Karasel.Its superb .In the old days the only thing separating you from the cars were wooden poles
Old 5 Aug 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2263854)   #64
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Thanks to those who have made contact here or by PM. I will try and meet with you all plus anybody who contacts me by email or PM before Friday. It is easier to write an interesting account if I can speak with people in the race. Good luck to all for the weekend. :-)
Old 11 Aug 2008, 05:17 (Ref:2267096)   #65
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
Some impressions from three days at the Ring:

- the place is cold - you could have cold, windy and rainy (Friday and Sunday, though rain was very slight and no problem on Sunday) and cold, windy and sunny (Saturday, result: sunburnt face). Rain unfortunately, but understandably made people drive with a lot of caution in the marathon; when the track dried up near the end of the race, everyone became more confident

- a great variety and selection of cars, but some minor complaints about the programme nonetheless: why have two races of the modern Mini Challenge except to prove that historic cars are more exciting to watch? And why relegate the HTGT races to the very end of day 2 and 8 o'clock on day 3? We'd have liked to see more of these cars, especially the minis, some of which (the grey #33) were driven in a spirited manner in practice at least. Why only a regularity run for pre-war cars - a number of racers in the pre-60 GP cars showed that pre-war cars can be driven hard and fast?

- the modern circuit may be bland and not really the right setting for older cars, but, from a spectator's point of view, its big advantage over the Nordschleife is that you'll constantly have the cars in view. Of course, its a different thing for the drivers.

- in most races, real racing took place midfield, as there were usually two or three more powerful or better driven cars that quickly pulled away from the rest. However, there was some great driving in all classes (lavender-coloured Elite #200), spectacular powerslides (Era #17, Lister-Chevrolet #28), constant four-wheel drifting, spectacular sounds and flame-belching.

- the open paddock was great; with so many races, it was however difficult to visit everything

- I toyed with the idea of going around the Nordschleife myself, but seeing the density of traffic (some of it very fast, some exceedingly slow and some absolute nutters) which passes on the Nordschleife just below stand #13 I decided I'd need some mental preparation before doing that.

- overall it was a great day that confirmed my enthusiasm for historic racing. Maybe one day I'll manage to do Goodwood as well.

- maybe I should use the money saved for a new caterham to buy an old Mini, Elite or Elan (not race-prepared of course)?

- I am looking forward to reading the racers' impressions. I hope you enjoyed yourself thoroughly and suffered no expensive failures. A few questions in place of a conclusion: what was the reason for the red flag in the first race? I hope everyone's ok. What explains the considerable differences in pace between similar cars (e.g. Maseratis in the pre-60 GP cars, Mclarens M8) - only driver ability, or different versions of the same car)? How did you all manage to go through turn 1 without hitting each other?

Best wishes

NPP
Old 11 Aug 2008, 13:19 (Ref:2267276)   #66
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
I am sorry I did not keep all my appointments at the Oldtimers. Unfortunately my road car was written off by a german driver, didn't see me! on the way to the Ring on Staurday. Spent most of Sat in hospital and with the Police - who went out of their way to be helpful, as were the AvD Media centre. Thanks to Michael Ashley-Brown and Tony Goodwin of FJ who gave us lifts back to the UK, and everyone else too numerous to mention who gave help and advice.

Please contact me if you can add anything about your race experiences so that I can include more than just the results. Post, PM or email.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2267282)   #67
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very tough break, Jill; hope you and everyone else involved are OK.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2267303)   #68
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Very sorry to hear that.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 16:37 (Ref:2267368)   #69
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Thanks - I was alone in the car as I had forgotten the key to the locker with my computer in it! I was very lucky, back handed compliment from the policeman was "at your age it could have been a lot worse but your racing experience meant instinct stepped in!". It is definately true that the family of FJ is alive and well. But seriously, I could do with some help regarding the racing to make sure that all the interesting bits get in. Whose gullwing was squashed by the helpful guards on the garage doors, behind the FJ pavillion, for example?

Last edited by LYNX; 11 Aug 2008 at 16:40.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2267369)   #70
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Sorry i did not get to see you Jill. Martin kept me updated with progress of my favorate valentine.Your 2nd choice of transport home was the Delta motor home arrived at Calais at midnite 2 hour delay for ferry got home at 5 30. " Where ere the crowds from years gone by" Every time i leave the Old Timmers i am amaized at the large amount spectators all arround the Norschlife.Are they waiting for all the prangs or car enthusiast
Old 11 Aug 2008, 16:58 (Ref:2267387)   #71
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Hi Ian - I think it is to see all the car clubs drive past - the crowds at Adenau each night were cheering them as they passed in convy - though of course it could just have been drunken exhuberance.

P.S. Thanks for the offer of a lift.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2267439)   #72
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
It is definately true that the family of FJ is alive and well. But seriously, I could do with some help regarding the racing to make sure that all the interesting bits get in.
I'm glad to hear you are ok. If there's anything an assiduous spectator who, however, could not hear the loudspeaker announcements, can tell you, I'll be glad to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Every time i leave the Old Timmers i am amaized at the large amount spectators all arround the Norschlife.Are they waiting for all the prangs or car enthusiast
judging from the comments by some of the people spectating from stand 13, they are car enthusiasts chiefly waiting for people to come to grief in expensive machinery - we changed seats to get away from their disgusting comments

NPP
Old 11 Aug 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2267480)   #73
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great shame about your road crash, Jill. Good to read you are okay.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 17:40 (Ref:2267945)   #74
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
I wish I'd had my camera with me in the hospitality area. I've never seen so much food on one plate, Delta.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2267994)   #75
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
That was for the whole team<Was'nt it Iain??