Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Jul 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2930753)   #26
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Louise

Great to hear from you. I appreciate that not everyone can be att he pointy end of things !!! The standard Astons rarely are either !! However your presence really adds tot he grid and we appreciate your presence to a real mixed marque grid. I am sure within no time we'll be back to the 40 car grids we had for this race a year or two ago.

as regards the Jags they are still in a pickle from when so many were hotted up for former series. we very much want the FIA spec ones back and then they'll be a fair match for the standard Astons.
What we push hard is correct tyres, correct weight and brakes. that sorts a lot out. We also ask for in period engine sizes and we are a "Nice cars, nice people , nice races" organisation. !!!
Old 25 Jul 2011, 08:52 (Ref:2930770)   #27
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The MGCC are running races for this type of car as well. They had one at Oulton and I think there is one at Donington.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2930863)   #28
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
Derwent
Yes I think you are right. The potential issue is that they also allow either heavily modified cars into the race and/ or 60's cars which then dominate the race and make it uncompetitive for the in period 50's cars.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2930995)   #29
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
I am pretty sure the new races are pre 60, T series MGs, A's, Aston DB2, Jowett Jupiter were at Oulton. Perhaps you are thinking of the Thoroughbred series?
Old 25 Jul 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2931076)   #30
rjbell24
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cumbria
rjbell24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim Stamper raced the DB2/4 at Oulton Park and was made very welcome. We hope to join MGCC at Donington on Aug 28 if car and drivers permit . . .
Old 25 Jul 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2931097)   #31
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lml698 View Post
Derwent
Yes I think you are right. The potential issue is that they also allow either heavily modified cars into the race and/ or 60's cars which then dominate the race and make it uncompetitive for the in period 50's cars.

I think you're getting confused with the 1950 - 65 Classic Sports Car race at the MGCC meeting this coming weekend at Thruxton. This is the follow-up race to the one at MG Live and is very similar to the format of the Equipe GTS races but on Dunlop Historic tyres only. I've entered this one as the chance to race at Thruxton does not come along very often.

At MGCC Donington on the 28th August, the race is for 'iconic' pre 60s sports cars only and the club specifically asked some drivers to reserve their place to judge whether they would get sufficient support. I put my my name down in May to run the Elite.

The original initiative appears to have come from the MG T-type brigade, but is consistant with the motives of the Fifties Racing Organisation. Several bodies are moving in the same direction (now there's a novelty) for some 1950s racing for 2012 and beyond.

Come on Simon - you know it makes sense
Old 25 Jul 2011, 22:18 (Ref:2931103)   #32
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
Derwent

You are right in your comments but the MGTA/ TC's etc. are very modified 40's cars and they also need to up their numbers. I wish them every success but it is a modified car series which is not what we are aiming at.
I see that Brian Ieland was at that meeting in his MGA Roadster. Does anyone know his contact details or someone who might? His car should fit the 50's series perfectly.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 13:25 (Ref:2931337)   #33
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Bentley DC Silverstone August 13/14th

Better start a thread. Two days this year with more invited series.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2933040)   #34
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
A quick update as of Friday morning for this race

6 Astons
3 AC's
2 Lotus's
1 Alfa
1 Cooper
3 Healeys
1 Lancia
1 Jag
2 Sunbeams
We have a host of those in touch who are still getting papers in - an MGA, a TR2, another 2 Astons and a Jag and hopefully more to come. I suggest anyone who is interested lets BDC know soon!!!
It also loks like we are getting a fair bit of interest from organisers for putting on 50's races next season, judging by recent phone calls. We also hope to publish a definitive list of which cars are eligible for this series and some outline regs. The bottom line however is " In period specs only".
Old 3 Aug 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2935434)   #35
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=lml698;2933040]"A quick update as of Friday morning for this race

6 Astons
3 AC's
2 Lotus's
1 Alfa
1 Cooper
3 Healeys
1 Lancia
1 Jag
2 Sunbeams"

... and add one more Alfa - I will be racing the dark blue Alfa Giulietta Sprint veloce (1300cc) in Mark's race.
We need more participants, so if you have an eligible car, get hold of the BDC and let Mark Campbell know.
Nick
Old 3 Aug 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2935454)   #36
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perfect Nick - see you there. Jason and I are looking forward to it.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2935474)   #37
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love ot have taken part in this - Unfortunately, it's my son's 5th birthday party on that day...

Another day I would certainly love to race with the 50s lot again.

James

P.S. sorry for the lack of contact Mark. Will phone you and explain all...
Old 8 Aug 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2937129)   #38
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
The finals arrived on Saturday and the usual wide variety of entries and races! It does seem though that each year we see fewer Bentleys taking part so I wonder wha tthe future of the meeting is? I think BDC are the only club left who run just a single race meeting a year.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2937149)   #39
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there an entry list on the Internet anywhere?

Did the scratch race a few years ago and it was a good meeting.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2937176)   #40
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Sadly the BDC website is not updated very often. There is actually very little there about the meeting, one post on the forum from a member asking how to get tickets!
Old 9 Aug 2011, 14:07 (Ref:2937652)   #41
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Sadly the BDC website is not updated very often. There is actually very little there about the meeting, one post on the forum from a member asking how to get tickets!
Have sent you a PM

Bladders........
Old 9 Aug 2011, 14:18 (Ref:2937654)   #42
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry list and Final Istructions including the timetable should be available on our website from Weds AM

Martin.....................
Old 12 Aug 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2938871)   #43
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry list is now up on the Bentley Drivers Club site.

http://www.bdcl.org/pdf/Entry%20List.pdf

A fine selection of automobiles although some of the pre-war grids look a little light.

Hoping for a great weekend - usually a really relaxed atmosphere at this one with some great David and Goliath races.

I'm in the Equipe races with the Grantura so pop by and say hello.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2938943)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I shall be there Sunday; hopefully with first draft of eligible cars for the 50s series with Richard and Mark. The current entry is fairly representative but there's plenty of opportunity for something a bit off the wall (Mr Drabble!). Be good if someone bought JRs Speedster from LMP for this series, too!
Old 13 Aug 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2939168)   #45
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,
I will be racing in Mark's Fifties race also - would like to meet you ! See you in the pit garage.

Right now, I do not own an Alfa of the right age for Fifties, having sold my Alfa Giulietta SZ two years ago. Thanks to the generosity of Andrew Jackson, who bought John Bennett's dark blue Alfa Giulietta Sprint Veloce and has lent it to me for Sunday, I am able to support Mark's race.

Looking forward to a good time at a friendly meeting.

Nick
Old 13 Aug 2011, 09:35 (Ref:2939187)   #46
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nick, I'll try to find you!
Old 14 Aug 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2939473)   #47
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I had an excellent race in the Thoroughbreds. I'd qualified 4th, probably my highest ever qualification position so I was a bit nervous. I totally fluffed it and went from 1st into 4th and could not find 2nd gear no matter ho much I fumbled around.
Five cars passed me before Copse but Jerry Knight drove off the track at Becketts and I got passed Russell McCarthy on Wellington straight which put me up to 7th. The rest of the race was brilliant with a race long five way dice between myself, Jerry Knight, Graham Paddick, Richard Abels and Keith Files. Keith spun out in front of me on the penultimate lap and in taking avoiding action I lost all hope of catching Jerry or Richard. Race video here

I then went straight out to do the Allcomers race and had almost as much fun with a race long battle with David Hughes in a Sierra Cosworth until I spun at Beckett's on the last lap (stop laughing Chezza).
Old 14 Aug 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2939619)   #48
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wished I could have been there, Mark. It would certainly have been less stressful than dealing with 30 marauding 5-year olds for my son's birthday party. Next season, definitely!

James

P.S. Are the results available anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lml698 View Post
A big thanks to everyone who raced in/ supported and was involved in the Sunday 50's sports and GT race. We had a great time with a decent grid and some excellent battles all the way down the result sheet. I think about 10 secs/ lap separated the whole field. I know quite a few couldn't be with us on Sunday so the good news is we have been offered a race slot for the 50's at Oulton Park on the 1st October. A 30 min one or two driver race for the 50's.
More info to come on www.fiftiesracing .org
Oh! and Congrats to his highness John Turner who has been elected as the clubs first chairman. !!!!!
We have been invited to Spa next year and also back to BDC and to "See Red" so we are looking forward to forming up a nice callendar.

Mark
Old 14 Aug 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2939627)   #49
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer View Post
Wished
P.S. Are the results available anywhere?
http://www.theresults.co.uk/theresul...ey_results.pdf
Old 14 Aug 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2939658)   #50
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well that was an interesting little meeting; shame some of the grids were light but a lovely laid back feel about it with some nice cars about. Great to catch up with old friends but as for being elected it was more like being press ganged into it by Mark about 30 seconds before he wanted to announce it! Anyway the 50's race was a success with some lovely cars out there. Will post some pics later on.