Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Sep 2020, 11:00 (Ref:4004856)   #2626
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
H&S constraints largely absent.
You can talk about this with any driver having done the 6 Heures de Dakar in the good l'days! May be the craziest thing of my life, mariage apart!
Old 22 Sep 2020, 16:02 (Ref:4005631)   #2627
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Glad I looked at that clip....because it also flagged up that Bad Obsession motorsport have started another project - and it looks like they'll finish this one - converting an £850 Citroen C1 into a race car for the City Car Challenge.....

Project Binky it ain't, but entertaining as usual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkoCuKOSpeo
Old 22 Sep 2020, 21:27 (Ref:4005704)   #2628
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Glad I looked at that clip....because it also flagged up that Bad Obsession motorsport have started another project - and it looks like they'll finish this one - converting an £850 Citroen C1 into a race car for the City Car Challenge.....

Project Binky it ain't, but entertaining as usual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkoCuKOSpeo
Will Binky ever get finished ?

What happened to the library van ?

Will there be any CAD (cardboard aided design) on the C1 ?

The answer to these and many other questions coming up on tonight's fantastic episode !
Old 23 Sep 2020, 10:23 (Ref:4005787)   #2629
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hooked on the Project Binky and Escargot sites and this latest City Car site looks like it will be as good. I like the way the two guys work and also their presentation.

There is a site called 'Classic Mini Race Car Project' that I also watch but that's been silent for a few monthes.
Old 23 Sep 2020, 11:37 (Ref:4005807)   #2630
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's an interesting project, really did enjoy that video they shared. Really well done and easy to understand

Must check out that Classic Mini site, sounds interesting. Any good reason why it's gone silent?
Old 24 Sep 2020, 12:38 (Ref:4006038)   #2631
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
We learn from our experiences and from others too. A recent story with a relatively happy end, which I'm sure it can carry the Andy-Approved label!

During the last meeting held at Nogaro this year, a good bloke starts the HFF race, puts the third gear in and is sent right way in the concrete wall by a competitor. "Only" one broken vertebra but his conclusion might be worth to be considered: "Its the first year I use a HANS safety device, thanks to this thing which probably kept me away from worse damages!"

I'm sure Peter can talk about this too…
Old 24 Sep 2020, 17:29 (Ref:4006067)   #2632
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I found this "interesting" FROM 1968, although the bloke was a bit out in his thinking of how long it was going to produce a decent battery ! I wonder if it went any better than a 100E ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWcy2HgTjCA
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Sep 2020, 22:33 (Ref:4006093)   #2633
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another short but rather interesting tea break length video.

Monza F1 1976.

Start and first 2 or 3 laps.

Quite how Scheckter got the lead going into the first chicane after a rather slow start is a mystery.

Then there's Ronnie going form 4th to 2nd at the same point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAqxAalKCSw

Different times.
Old 24 Sep 2020, 22:54 (Ref:4006095)   #2634
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was Ronnie's only victory of 1976 as I recall, I had the winning car from the cover photo of Autosport adorning one of my exercise books at school.

Ironic that two years later he would lose his life at the same spot. How fleeting is stardom.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 25 Sep 2020, 06:43 (Ref:4006113)   #2635
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I found this "interesting" FROM 1968, although the bloke was a bit out in his thinking of how long it was going to produce a decent battery ! I wonder if it went any better than a 100E ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWcy2HgTjCA
A good find Gordon and an interesting few minutes watch. Sadly the battery problems they had then are still the limiting factor now 52 years later, but some improvements have been made.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 07:23 (Ref:4006116)   #2636
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Nice vid Grant thanks. Yes other times, some cars moving before the start. Who or what this marshal is pointing with a yellow flag at 0,48" is another mystery.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 11:58 (Ref:4006197)   #2637
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
We learn from our experiences and from others too. A recent story with a relatively happy end, which I'm sure it can carry the Andy-Approved label!

During the last meeting held at Nogaro this year, a good bloke starts the HFF race, puts the third gear in and is sent right way in the concrete wall by a competitor. "Only" one broken vertebra but his conclusion might be worth to be considered: "Its the first year I use a HANS safety device, thanks to this thing which probably kept me away from worse damages!"

I'm sure Peter can talk about this too…
Absolutely, Gerard.
A friend of mine also stuffed his Midget head on into into the Armco (not tyre protected) at Snetterton about 2 weeks ago when the brakes failed. I think I am right in saying that you don’t have to wwear a HANS device if the car is pre 77 or something like that and the Midget was a 74 car. I had to persuade him that it was still a good idea. Last night he bought me a couple of beers and a packet of crisps!!!
Old 25 Sep 2020, 17:49 (Ref:4006245)   #2638
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Absolutely, Gerard.
A friend of mine also stuffed his Midget head on into into the Armco (not tyre protected) at Snetterton about 2 weeks ago when the brakes failed. I think I am right in saying that you don’t have to wwear a HANS device if the car is pre 77 or something like that and the Midget was a 74 car. I had to persuade him that it was still a good idea. Last night he bought me a couple of beers and a packet of crisps!!!
HANS devices really became mainstream after the death of Dale Earnhardt .

Modern road cars have got a lot safer with ENCAP testing , which requires the car to progressively crush in an impact , & thus reduce the effect on the driver / passengers .

But making it stronger , [ massive roll cages or a space frame type construction ,] then passes more impact forces onto the driver .
Dale Earnhardt,s car was a very strong spaceframe with a huge roll cage . And a very intensive study showed that he hit the wall at just 42 MPH which killed him .

Although a big rollcage looks like it should be better , it is more dangerous under impact & therefore a HANS device is a very good idea.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 06:07 (Ref:4006317)   #2639
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Impressive! I must confess I'm sometimes lazy putting it on during FP… I chosed very seriously and carefully my device with my helmet on, the rear part of the Bell I use being thicker than others. When I'll have to replace the Hans, I'll go for a new model with adjustable angle and straps everywhere.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 06:24 (Ref:4006319)   #2640
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well not to be too morbid, we lost Christian Deveroux a few years back because he wasn't wearing a HANS in a head on impact at Donington.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 08:23 (Ref:4006326)   #2641
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
HELP!

I am intending to switch my broadband supplier from Virgin, because of their complete lack of customer care, Has anyone got a recommendation or experience of who to avoid for a fast broadband service?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 26 Sep 2020, 08:45 (Ref:4006328)   #2642
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've used BT for many years. I now have a package deal with landline, broadband internet and BT Vision. I pay less for this than I paid just for Sky. However, BTV doesn't have the sports coverage/packages that Sky has.

BT are OK but problems are dealt with initially from India. They are usually helpful and very polite but if the problem can't be fixed (rare) they will arrange for an engineer's visit. Since broadband came to our village about 4 years ago service has been pretty good but speed can drop if they are working on the line boxes in the area.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 08:48 (Ref:4006330)   #2643
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I went away from BT because of the cost. "wish I had not".Stay with BT.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 09:49 (Ref:4006341)   #2644
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I must admit that I've stayed with BT all along basically because I couldn't be bottomed to change telephone numbers & email addresses. We have fibre now which is very fast and I did discover that if I ring and say I'm thinking of changing supplier they would do me a deal and reduce the costs.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 09:56 (Ref:4006343)   #2645
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We've been with BT for many years. Only failed a couple of times and they were fixed pretty quickly. We don't have the TV package though.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 10:31 (Ref:4006345)   #2646
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I have Sky, because that’s what the people who own the flats have a contract with. I’ve had problems with it in the past, but it seems to be a lot better now. Then again they did say they would sort it for everyone
Old 26 Sep 2020, 11:28 (Ref:4006358)   #2647
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been with Virgin for many years, and only had a problem some time ago. I also found that their customer service on the phone was very poor (read almost non-existent), so I decided to join the Virgin Media forum to complain about the lack of service and very low broadband speeds. The complaint was picked up by a Virgin employed moderator who took charge of the complaint, who ensured that I received credit for the lost service and who generally ruffled feathers up the management line. Eventually, the problem was resolved when Virgin increased the local capacity - they were massively over-subscribed locally because they were, in theory at least, able to offer far superior speeds to any other provider.

As Viv, and others have said with their providers, a phone call now to their customer retention department, ensures that they will reduce your monthly bill by a significant amount.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 12:06 (Ref:4006362)   #2648
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I've also been with Virgin and their predecessors back to the days of Cable and Wireless, because they were the only fibre providers and we were in a cabled area. Very few problems with service - we did have a couple of days with no service last year but were granted an automatic rebate that exceeded the daily rental.

We have a 100mb/s internet, basic phone and the lowest TV package. I keep meaning to contact them to haggle down the price, which I normally do every few years. I've looked at alternatives but of course any other provider will have to run a new line in as we have no BT line.
Old 26 Sep 2020, 12:15 (Ref:4006365)   #2649
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I am on BT and have looked at others, however where I live in the UK we are still on old copper wires and the furthest house from the exchange. If we have problems it is fixed pretty quickly. Others "seem" to be cheaper but you have to make sure of the hidden extras in the small print and at the end of the day everything comes via the BT network wires anyway I believe ? I think the area that you live in may vary with price with the different oppositions. Whatever you choose someone will always say "you should have gone for X"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Sep 2020, 12:40 (Ref:4006373)   #2650
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have a basic Virgin package, TV, weekend phone calls free, and 100mb Broadband and when working is superb, however, my TiVo box stopped working in March, and after being patient because of the current problems, this month I decided I had enough of paying for a service I could not access (TV), I e,mailed, I phoned, I used the official complaints procedure, all to no avail. I eventually cancelled my DM and sent a reduced amount to cover the bits I am getting, by BACS. This got a result pretty quickly - a demand for payment plus late payment charge.. I managed to get through to their Chat Line and after a lot of rigmarole, was told I had a week to pay up or they would cut me off.

I was also told that the last note on my account was that I had told them the problem had been fixed in March. No record of my many attempt to contact them.

They are immoral.