Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 May 2013, 15:48 (Ref:3251730)   #26
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
My first thought, was "what the hell!". Very odd for a complete LMP1 design to spring up entirely out of the blue.

Second thing is, one thing this project doesn't need is to be shot down with pessimism. They've got themselves organised, unlike others. If you woke up today and decided that you wanted to go LMP1 racing next year and you wanted to get going with planning straight away, this is your only option for 2014 at the moment.

I really hope to see this car on the grid.
As with most things you write I fully agree!
More privateer LMP1s!

What possible buyers do you guys see?
Old 22 May 2013, 17:03 (Ref:3251751)   #27
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
"We haven't tried to reinvent the wheel"
You don't say! The car looks sooo generic, and also makes me realize just how much I dislike those gigantic front fenders.
Old 22 May 2013, 17:05 (Ref:3251753)   #28
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't say I really like it, particularly the rear decklid, but the more LMP1s available the better!
Old 22 May 2013, 19:59 (Ref:3251828)   #29
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm looking forward to seeing this rendering on the track.
Old 22 May 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3251837)   #30
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope it makes it to the track!
Old 22 May 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3251854)   #31
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
"We haven't tried to reinvent the wheel"
You don't say! The car looks sooo generic, and also makes me realize just how much I dislike those gigantic front fenders.
Generic? What makes you say that?

All LMP1 cars have to fit specific regulations so you can't exactly race a Porsche 917 anymore, unfortunate as that is.
Old 22 May 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3251870)   #32
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
The regs do not force them to have those ugly bulbous 'pontoons' in front of the front wheels that start nearly vertical on all new LMP cars. I was hoping new narrower front tires would revert the trend back to sharp and slim front fenders, but everything looks like a fat version Lister LMP these days.
Old 22 May 2013, 21:42 (Ref:3251887)   #33
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like it
Old 23 May 2013, 01:02 (Ref:3251937)   #34
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The regs do not force them to have those ugly bulbous 'pontoons' in front of the front wheels that start nearly vertical on all new LMP cars. I was hoping new narrower front tires would revert the trend back to sharp and slim front fenders, but everything looks like a fat version Lister LMP these days.
You would have a point but for the cars overall width is decreased! You lose 10cm of width overall and 1-1.5" (inches) of tire width. Thats 2-3" of tire gone compared to 10cm of car gone. 10cm is 3 and 15/16 inches. So 4 inches narrower car with tires only 3 inches narrower. How are you going to design your car? Even with narrow front tires with less contact patch, that would still be relatively the same car to wheel ratio as now. These new regs don't change much which was the criticism of them.
Old 23 May 2013, 01:43 (Ref:3251963)   #35
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice i like it so far, hope it makes it on track and sells some to replace lola.maybe rebellions announcement? as for them all looking the same, hasnt there been many points in time were the top wining cars looked like each other and others followed?theres not much freedom in regulations anymore for much self expression, if audi designs something that works then others will follow, look at toyota and their fender wing extension now audi and rebellion run them. also toyotas ran at the 750mm tails now audi does and its a magical long tail, i bet toyota is already working on an exhaust blown defuser.
Old 23 May 2013, 06:39 (Ref:3252033)   #36
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Analysis by Mike of the Perrinn LMP1: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmay13.html

Mike explains in great detail why the engine cover is much larger and higher than in current LMP1s.
Old 23 May 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3252066)   #37
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think the bulkiness will be hidden better with other cars. Seems like the rules are making for some not so pretty cars. I like the holes inside the rear fenders, looks better than on top.
Old 23 May 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3252076)   #38
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
but everything looks like a fat version Lister LMP these days.
One of the best looking LMP's ever, mind you
Old 23 May 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3252090)   #39
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Analysis by Mike of the Perrinn LMP1: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsmay13.html

Mike explains in great detail why the engine cover is much larger and higher than in current LMP1s.
Thanks for posting, it's a bit hard to follow his updates without a RSS feed in his website (I don't use social media )

Something is bugging me a little bit.
Quote:
“(the) Effect of new regulation on aero numbers will depend on car concept so (it's) hard to say...with the new engine rules, drag will have to be lower (as fuel consumption [is the] driver) so that was the main change: to trim the car down significantly.”
They talk about the importance of lower drag but they choose an open front splitter, isn't a closed one better for that purpose ?
Old 23 May 2013, 09:48 (Ref:3252116)   #40
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
You would have a point but for the cars overall width is decreased! You lose 10cm of width overall and 1-1.5" (inches) of tire width. Thats 2-3" of tire gone compared to 10cm of car gone. 10cm is 3 and 15/16 inches. So 4 inches narrower car with tires only 3 inches narrower. How are you going to design your car? Even with narrow front tires with less contact patch, that would still be relatively the same car to wheel ratio as now. These new regs don't change much which was the criticism of them.
Fair enough. But for some reason I thought it was the absolute width of a tyre that forced aerodynamicists to shape fenders in order to direct air primarily around the sides rather than over the top (like on older Lola cars). I guess there are other benefits to making more or less completely vertical fenders and try to direct all of the flow around them. As a result there's a very long and tall front overhand. TS030 is a good illustration of that, it is a bit of a bull-terrier in side-view compared to older protos.
Old 23 May 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3252123)   #41
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
Thanks for posting, it's a bit hard to follow his updates without a RSS feed in his website (I don't use social media )

Something is bugging me a little bit.

They talk about the importance of lower drag but they choose an open front splitter, isn't a closed one better for that purpose ?
Better for that purpose under the current regulations. Perrinn addresses that when he states, "It is not black and white, it will depend on how far each solution is developed. So in my opinion, it is important to commit to one direction quickly and develop it." Details become a bit more nuanced when we're looking at ACO2014 vs. what we currently understand. But also understand his quote also speaks to practicalities; at some point you need to move on and develop either one or the other concept.
Old 23 May 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3252133)   #42
jsTrecu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Better for that purpose under the current regulations. Perrinn addresses that when he states, "It is not black and white, it will depend on how far each solution is developed. So in my opinion, it is important to commit to one direction quickly and develop it." Details become a bit more nuanced when we're looking at ACO2014 vs. what we currently understand. But also understand his quote also speaks to practicalities; at some point you need to move on and develop either one or the other concept.
Thank you for clarifying that, I didn't understand completely the first time I read it.
Old 23 May 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3252167)   #43
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“The regs do not force them to have those ugly bulbous 'pontoons' in front of the front wheels that start nearly vertical on all new LMP cars.”

No, Physics forces that. Either you use what works best, or lose.

“They talk about the importance of lower drag but they choose an open front splitter, isn't a closed one better for that purpose ?”

I think that is so if the car porpoises the front end doesn’t seal to the pavement which would kill all airflow out the diffuser and make the rear end weightless.

What I think is interesting is that there are still people out there with the passion to produce P1 cars. Perrin has to be making significant investments just to get as far as he has.

As the economy heals (assuming it does, globally) companies like Perrinn, Multimatic/Lola, Oak will be invaluable. We cannot count on another Porsche 956/962 to come along, and even if it did, options and variety are wonderful things.
Old 23 May 2013, 14:06 (Ref:3252181)   #44
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
“The regs do not force them to have those ugly bulbous 'pontoons' in front of the front wheels that start nearly vertical on all new LMP cars.”

No, Physics forces that. Either you use what works best, or lose.
Thanks, captain obvious. If that's really the case, it may be worth adding that the laws of physics remained largely unchanged over the last 10 years
Old 23 May 2013, 14:16 (Ref:3252186)   #45
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
The laws of fysics might be unchanged over the last 10 years, but the understanding of them and implementing that understanding in building a racecar surely has changed fast and a lot the last 10 years!
Old 23 May 2013, 15:41 (Ref:3252203)   #46
dangerousdave79
Rookie

United States
Fort Myers, FL
dangerousdave79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fin is still ugly.
Old 23 May 2013, 17:41 (Ref:3252239)   #47
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdave79 View Post
The fin is still ugly.
I've got to say, I barely notice the fin anymore.
Old 23 May 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3252249)   #48
dangerousdave79
Rookie

United States
Fort Myers, FL
dangerousdave79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not having one on the LMPC makes the fin pretty obvious on LMP1 and LMP2. I probably shouldn't be giving anyone any ideas though.
Old 23 May 2013, 18:19 (Ref:3252261)   #49
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
me neither! i think its because of that awesome huge engine cover behind the cockpit, in part thats why the current cars look so ridiculous, the engine cover is way too small (r18 for example). Its because of the mandatory rear roll over structures, says Mulsanne Mike, so heres hoping that all the lmp1s will have this feature. About the front fenders - I kinda hoped that the smaller wheels will also make the fenders smaller but apparently they havent :/
Old 23 May 2013, 20:07 (Ref:3252318)   #50
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Same. I don't see why people are ragging on the looks of the car. It's firmly built to the regs. Just be happy the design has been done!